What are you listening to right now?

Krapow

As I have said before, I came of age or better stated failed to do so, on the Southwest side of Chicago not that far from what was then called Comiskey Park (the White Sox stadium). The neighborhood bordered White, Black, and Latin neighborhoods. I consider myself fortunate in this regard as I got an early exposure to multiple cultures. This probably was part of what led to my wanderlust that eventually led to my eventual settling in Thailand. I had previously tried Latin America.

Nuff bs. As of late, I am remembering some of the "Black" (Motown if you will) music that I heard earlier in my life. I am deeply saddened by the non-discriminate shootings of young black men such as occurred in KC recently. This song came to mind today.

Edited by ChiFlyer

Sir Elton - "Tiny Dancer"

Once upon a time, someone told me that this song is a homage to a dancing ballerina on a dash board. We were driving from Chicago to the Canadian Border to catch a plane into Ontario to catch some fish at a private camp. The year must have been 1975 or so. We caught some fish. The someone who said this ended up being the best man at my first wedding. Miss you Ray.

Edited by ChiFlyer

One more from Sir Elton - the title song from the same album "Madman Across the Water".

A song that I found meaning from during what was a troubling time in my life. Back then I did not believe that Sir Elton was gay. And why should that matter? 🙂

On 4/24/2023 at 11:37 PM, ChiFlyer said:

As I have said before, I came of age or better stated failed to do so, on the Southwest side of Chicago not that far from what was then called Comiskey Park (the White Sox stadium). The neighborhood bordered White, Black, and Latin neighborhoods. I consider myself fortunate in this regard as I got an early exposure to multiple cultures. This probably was part of what led to my wanderlust that eventually led to my eventual settling in Thailand. I had previously tried Latin America.

Nuff bs. As of late, I am remembering some of the "Black" (Motown if you will) music that I heard earlier in my life. I am deeply saddened by the non-discriminate shootings of young black men such as occurred in KC recently. This song came to mind today.

I grew up in the south burbs.

Worked in Harvey Il. (ghetto as it gets) for my first security gig for a few years while attending community college in the Heights.

Harvey was not far from Roseland where these guys started out. You may have heard about them. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styx_(band)

This pic is identical to the ride I had at the time...

1974 Ford Gran Torino Elite Coupe (4 of 5) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was a very common ride you would see...

T1972 Buick Electra 225 Limited 455 Hardtop Sedan 1 Owner Mint for sale - Buick Electra Electra ...

Edited by Glasseye

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I grew up in the south burbs.

Worked in Harvey Il. (ghetto as it gets) for my first security gig for a few years while attending community college in the Heights.

Harvey was not far from Roseland where these guys started out. You may have heard about them. lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styx_(band)

This pic is identical to the ride I had at the time...

1974 Ford Gran Torino Elite Coupe (4 of 5) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was a very common ride you would see...

T1972 Buick Electra 225 Limited 455 Hardtop Sedan 1 Owner Mint for sale - Buick Electra Electra ...

My first wife was from South Holland (ritzy compared to Harvey for sure). Much prior to that I had a GF who lived in Markham. I am familiar with the area and the level of racism that existed at that time. I imagine it is not any better today, and probably worse.

During my later teen years (late 1960s) the hottest cars on the Southwest side were Goats, 442s, Vets, and 409s. We used to race against the Black Guys along the Dan Ryan access streets near the projects close to Comiskey Park. The Black Cops used to go nuts telling us to stay out of their guys neighborhood, but their guys loved to compete for money.

Another popular strip was out in the Willow Springs area on 107th(?). Sounds like you may have been to the later.

Edited by ChiFlyer

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Imaginary Western - Mountain

Humble Pie

With regard to "30 Days in the Hole" this certainly brings back memories, or maybe lack thereof. Some recently returned from Nam guys, a few other no-good-nicks, and my rotten ass made a trip from Chicago to see an event headlined by Humble Pie in Milwaukee.

During Humble Pie's opening number of "30 Days in the Hole" the crowd went nuts and raided the beer tents. About 10 minutes later Hunble Pie announced that "The beer is now free" to a resounding roar from the crowd. Truly a riot was about to break out if this announcement had not been made.

It was a weird weekend to say the least. We lost one member of the crew who was incarcerated for having sex with a minor in a city 90 miles away. He was later released. We stole a boat, returned it, and no one noticed.

Good times. Not so sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

With regard to "30 Days in the Hole" this certainly brings back memories, or maybe lack thereof. Some recently returned from Nam guys, a few other no-good-nicks, and my rotten ass made a trip from Chicago to see an event headlined by Humble Pie in Milwaukee.

During Humble Pie's opening number of "30 Days in the Hole" the crowd went nuts and raided the beer tents. About 10 minutes later Hunble Pie announced that "The beer is now free" to a resounding roar from the crowd. Truly a riot was about to break out if this announcement had not been made.

It was a weird weekend to say the least. We lost one member of the crew who was incarcerated for having sex with a minor in a city 90 miles away. He was later released. We stole a boat, returned it, and no one noticed.

Good times. Not so sure.

I remember the free beer incident. As a Milwaukee area resident I went to Summerfest every year, but wasn't there that day. I do remember it being front page news in the Milwaukee Journal.

From the news archives.

From George Carlin's arrest to the Rolling Stones show, relive Summerfest's 10 most memorable milestones

4. The Humble Pie riot

Summerfest had avoided a riot with the overflowing Family Stone crowd in 1970, but in 1973, it wasn't so lucky. On July 21, during a set by rock band Humble Pie, a crowd stormed a beer tent, smashed beer barrels, broke into locked refrigerators and started bonfires. About 300 people were arrested by police officers decked out in riot gear. "We definitely will stay away from rock groups," then Summerfest Executive Director and former Green Bay Packer Henry Jordan vowed, and for the next few years, the festival played it safe booking the likes of Gladys Knight, Johnny Cash and the Beach Boys for the main stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2023 at 12:00 AM, ChiFlyer said:

My first wife was from South Holland (ritzy compared to Harvey for sure). Much prior to that I had a GF who lived in Markham. I am familiar with the area and the level of racism that existed at that time. I imagine it is not any better today, and probably worse.

During my later teen years (late 1960s) the hottest cars on the Southwest side were Goats, 442s, Vets, and 409s. We used to race against the Black Guys along the Dan Ryan access streets near the projects close to Comiskey Park. The Black Cops used to go nuts telling us to stay out of their guys neighborhood, but their guys loved to compete for money.

Another popular strip was out in the Willow Springs area on 107th(?). Sounds like you may have been to the later.

I distinctly recall the day. Lunchtime at school, 1974. Out in front waiting for the doors to open so we could go back in to class.

Greaser/dropout pulls up in his 442. Proceeded to do a screaming donut in the middle of the street. Smoke pouring. Must have been 150 + kids standing there watching with their mouths hanging open.

Yep South Holland and Homewood were kind of like buffers. Head north of the there and it gradually gets worse until you hit the loop. 

I used to take the Illinois Central (IC) downtown for concerts and stuff.  I'll never forget my first few trips. Couldn't believe my eyes.

The West side was like another planet. Total no go zone. The only time we'd go anywhere near the area was for a must see concert at the Chicago Stadium. Saw The Allman Brothers, The Who, and Fleetwood Mac there. I remember we came in early for the Fleetwood Mac concert and being stuck in traffic, late August afternoon. Almost unbearable stink.

19 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I distinctly recall the day. Lunchtime at school, 1974. Out in front waiting for the doors to open so we could go back in to class.

Greaser/dropout pulls up in his 442. Proceeded to do a screaming donut in the middle of the street. Smoke pouring. Must have been 150 + kids standing there watching with their mouths hanging open.

Yep South Holland and Homewood were kind of like buffers. Head north of the there and it gradually gets worse until you hit the loop. 

I used to take the Illinois Central (IC) downtown for concerts and stuff.  I'll never forget my first few trips. Couldn't believe my eyes.

The West side was like another planet. Total no go zone. The only time we'd go anywhere near the area was for a must see concert at the Chicago Stadium. Saw The Allman Brothers, The Who, and Fleetwood Mac there. I remember we came in early for the Fleetwood Mac concert and being stuck in traffic, late August afternoon. Almost unbearable stink.

Going to disagree with you some here.

Wow - where to start.

I attended Gage Park High School in the late 1960s. Since you are familiar with Chicago, I am guessing that you know that race riots broke out when the school integrated due to some boundary changes. It was one of the ugliest scenes that I have seen in my life. 16 year old kids getting knifed and others sent to prison. We had 3 cops on every floor of the building. Fights would break out in the hallways in between classes. Really not conducive to learning.

In looking back on it nearly 60 years later and I am a White Guy, I have more sympathy for the position that the young Blacks were forced into. They integrated the school by year. First year only Freshman. Freshman were in a separate building, but the new Black students were confronted by older White Students. Talk about being put on the defensive.

Here is the part where I disagree.

Despite my less than excellent high school education, I was able to attend college through using my deceased father's VA benefits. I went to Southern Illinois University. I could have attended U of I in Champaign, but somehow felt more comfortable in Carbondale.

Arriving as a Greaser from the Southside of Chicago who listened to soul music, I did not immediately make friends. Several of the guys that I initially got to know a little better were Black. I visited them back in their neighborhood a few times. We would shoot pool and go out for a little BBQ. No problems, although my presence would at times raise eyebrows. I will say once again, I have for the most part been treated better by Black people in Black neighborhoods, than I have seen Black people treated in White neighborhoods.

The Black neighborhoods that I reference were around 83rd and Cottage Grove.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:27 AM, ChiFlyer said:

Going to disagree with you some here.

Wow - where to start.

I attended Gage Park High School in the late 1960s. Since you are familiar with Chicago, I am guessing that you know that race riots broke out when the school integrated due to some boundary changes. It was one of the ugliest scenes that I have seen in my life. 16 year old kids getting knifed and others sent to prison. We had 3 cops on every floor of the building. Fights would break out in the hallways in between classes. Really not conducive to learning.

In looking back on it nearly 60 years later and I am a White Guy, I have more sympathy for the position that the young Blacks were forced into. They integrated the school by year. First year only Freshman. Freshman were in a separate building, but the new Black students were confronted by older White Students. Talk about being put on the defensive.

Here is the part where I disagree.

Despite my less than excellent high school education, I was able to attend college through using my deceased father's VA benefits. I went to Southern Illinois University. I could have attended U of I in Champaign, but somehow felt more comfortable in Carbondale.

Arriving as a Greaser from the Southside of Chicago who listened to soul music, I did not immediately make friends. Several of the guys that I initially got to know a little better were Black. I visited them back in their neighborhood a few times. We would shoot pool and go out for a little BBQ. No problems, although my presence would at times raise eyebrows. I will say once again, I have for the most part been treated better by Black people in Black neighborhoods, than I have seen Black people treated in White neighborhoods.

The Black neighborhoods that I reference were around 83rd and Cottage Grove.

Enjoy the background. But, what is it you are disagreeing with ?

5 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Enjoy the background. But, what is it you are disagreeing with ?

Maybe I misunderstood, after a few (4?) glasses of wine, but I got the impression from your post that you were saying that ALL of the Chicago predominantly Black neighborhoods North of say 127th are shit holes. In the old days I had friends in the neighborhood that I mentioned and that was a vibrant middle class area. If I overreacted, I apologize. This woke nonsense may be making me a little bit nuts.

On 4/21/2023 at 7:09 PM, Glasseye said:

I always liked this song. It came out shortly after I finished college. At that time I shared an apartment in a 3 story brownstone with a couple of other guys near Wrigley field. As Nelson Algren (Author of "The Man with the Golden Arm") said -> "It's tough being a Sox fan on the North side of Chicago".

What I think is a point of reference in the song the phrase "40,000 men" is used repeatedly. This is the estimated number of Americans who died in Nam. Me thinks the song gives reference to the sense of the times that the Nam stupidity led to. 

In any case I also enjoyed one of the songs on the album (Agents of Fortune) that followed "Don't Fear the Reaper".

The female voice is Patty Smith.

Edited by ChiFlyer