Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

On 8/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Blue Streak said:

Forgot to mention I've walked past Papagayo on Soi Dianna a few times recently at about

midnight, girls in the bar but I've not seen the coyote dancers......

Used to love Papagayo back in the day, some 15 years ago. Had some great times in there - may pop in at the end of the month for old times sake. 

Edited by AJSP
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 5:31 AM, forcebwithu said:

Next to Prommannee a new opening has been cut through the wall for access to the shop that has been split off from the guesthouse. In hindsight they should have left the opening in place when they took over the massage shop that was next door about two years ago.

Has the Prom now been sold?  Reports of it being closed again and work being done.

7 hours ago, KWA said:

Has the Prom now been sold?  Reports of it being closed again and work being done.

They've rented out the side that used to house the massage shop. The new tenants are refitting it as a restaurant and are hoping to open next month. Got this info from the boyfriend of the owner who I happened to see last night at another business of ill repute. :default_biggrin:

Another interesting tidbit was just after she signed the three year lease with the new tenants, another group approached her with an offer to buy the place. The offer was a substantial amount of money, so she was kicking herself for missing out on the big payday.

IMHO, I expect that in the end she'll end up with an even better deal in the next year or two as I don't see the restaurant surviving very long in that location. Reason is very few will want to dine at a place where the sidewalk cocktail bar directly across from them starts blasting out the music at around 7pm every night. I know Prom has lost a lot of customers, myself included when the music starts up. It also has rendered the street facing guesthouses almost unrentable due to the noise.

She's called the BIB on a couple of occasions about the music volume. They go have chat with the cocktail bar who then turns the music down, but within a short while after the BIB leave the volume goes back up.

So now she gets to collect the monthly lease payment, IIRC, she told me it was 40k/month. And as Buakhao further develops the value of her location will go even higher. Whichever comes first, the restaurant goes bust or the lease term ends, she'll probably be able to sell the location for an even greater amount of money.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

They've rented out the side that used to house the massage shop. The new tenants are refitting it as a restaurant and are hoping to open next month

IMO Proms is a classic example of the "Tin Cup Syndrome" .It was nothing but an empty space in front of the Guesthouse until they cleaned up outside, put some tables there and started selling beer. When a few started to sit and drink there the hanging plants/ornaments appeared as did the blackboard with very "competitive" prices.

Then it got really popular with the morning cheap charlie crowd (so I am told!) and they added the coffee kiosk.

It became an extremely friendly, serve yourself from the fridge, place to drink very cheap beer, staffed by one girl that worked reception, made coffee, served beer and generally took care of customers.

It is just so bloody typical of Thai business acumen that they just didn't "get" why it was so popular!

I just hope the guest house starts selling early morning cheap beer again!

• Like 3
  • Great Info 2

48 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

IMO Proms is a classic example of the "Tin Cup Syndrome" .It was nothing but an empty space in front of the Guesthouse until they cleaned up outside, put some tables there and started selling beer. When a few started to sit and drink there the hanging plants/ornaments appeared as did the blackboard with very "competitive" prices.

Then it got really popular with the morning cheap charlie crowd (so I am told!) and they added the coffee kiosk.

It became an extremely friendly, serve yourself from the fridge, place to drink very cheap beer, staffed by one girl that worked reception, made coffee, served beer and generally took care of customers.

It is just so bloody typical of Thai business acumen that they just didn't "get" why it was so popular!

I just hope the guest house starts selling early morning cheap beer again!

The cheap beer and my favorite, a generous pour of SangSom soda for 40B is still available. Seating is reduced to eight, but whenever I pass by the place in the morning and evening hours there are plenty of seats available.

You're right though that for the ex-pat crowd they were doing it right, and as a result gained in popularity. Unfortunately with the development of the Tree Town, the area is now attracting a different demographic. One that doesn't mind noise being passed off as music and at a volume sure to bring $ signs of happiness to hearing aide companies for future business.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

One that doesn't mind noise being passed off as music and at a volume sure to bring $ signs of happiness to hearing aide companies for future business.

ker-ching   :default_biggrin:

In Thailand some areas of Pattaya it seems quantity trumps quality.

Edited by bob lt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

I think the only music that could make me get my ass in to town would be a nice Sunday morning/afternoon live band doing a bit of everything from the 60s through to the 80s.. Somewhere like PBG just chillin all afternoon, snacking and drinking ...and perhaps even doing some Dad dancing with a bit of air guitar... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, bob lt said:

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I think the only music that could make me get my ass in to town would be a nice Sunday morning/afternoon live band doing a bit of everything from the 60s through to the 80s.. Somewhere like PBG just chillin all afternoon, snacking and drinking ...and perhaps even doing some Dad dancing with a bit of air guitar... 

No doubt quantity trumps quality, proof is easy to see almost every day with those from the sub-continent walking four and five abreast down the soi's oblivious to the traffic they're blocking.

As for the music, I'm tired of the same old Western songs the vast majority of farang oriented bars play. I'm now more likely to stop at a bar if I hear Thai music being played. I understand maybe a half dozen words of what is sung, but I enjoy the chance to hear something different.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

No doubt quantity trumps quality, proof is easy to see almost every day with those from the sub-continent walking four and five abreast down the soi's oblivious to the traffic they're blocking.

As for the music, I'm tired of the same old Western songs the vast majority of farang oriented bars play. I'm now more likely to stop at a bar if I hear Thai music being played. I understand maybe a half dozen words of what is sung, but I enjoy the chance to hear something different.

What......Your tired of Hotel California, and Smoke on the water?

That's just awful......What kind of farang are you.....lol.........O yea I forgot Bob Seger....Yawn............I can relate....

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, fforest said:

That's just awful......What kind of farang are you.....lol.........O yea I forgot Bob Seger....Yawn............I can relate....

4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

As for the music, I'm tired of the same old Western songs the vast majority of farang oriented bars play.

I was thinking more of a chill out easy listening sort of music....

.... I wonder if the Canadian bagpipe player in a kilt is still available in town. The one that used to pipe in the New Year in Rabbi's Elephant bar... He could wonder between customers and play requests...

I did like the ugly brothers in FLB. I also remember "Teddy" (TSD16) doing an awesome "Have you ever seen the rain..". Very memorable night indeed.

In the RP we're spoiled for choice with some great live bands doing not only covers but their own, independent pinoy rock which is every bit as good as some stuff I've heard in the past.

Like @Derek Dangleberries I'll listen to easy , regular rock all day as long as there's decent company, beer and food. That's why I like TQ in the afternoon, I tend to go there for the music rather than the girls, but it does have a great combo of being relaxed, good beer and company if required.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Blue Streak said:

Noticed this one pop up the other night, next to Piss Stop, called 89..

I think kung's sausage place used to be there.........

IMG_20220823_221814.jpg

Here's a better snap of it in the daylight.....

IMG_20220825_122608.jpg

Also notice this morning a double fronted shop house that used to be a bar called Amazonian

(something like that) having the workman in....Soi Buakhao.....

IMG_20220825_122026.jpg

On 8/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, Butch said:

Like @Derek Dangleberries I'll listen to easy , regular rock all day as long as there's decent company, beer and food.

Yes mate, my original comment was based on that sort of scenario on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Similar to the bunch of Irish lads that used to play in Murphy's on LK Metro several years ago.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:57 PM, fforest said:

Desperado does the rounds on a regular basis🙃

Whats the current count on Soi Bukow pot shops?.....I did a real half ass count the other day and I counted 6....But I think there is a good chance I missed a few...

By high season I think there will be 10 pot shops on Soi Bukow easy.....

The biggest one is called Blow ....Its near the Tuesday Friday market..

I dont smoke weed myself....Mainly because it makes me lazy and dumb...
Hell even if it was free I would not be interested....But it's interesting to watch how the whole weed thing develops...

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, fforest said:

Whats the current count on Soi Bukow pot shops?.....I did a real half ass count the other day and I counted 6....But I think there is a good chance I missed a few...

By high season I think there will be 10 pot shops on Soi Bukow easy.....

The biggest one is called Blow ....Its near the Tuesday Friday market..

I dont smoke weed myself....Mainly because it makes me lazy and dumb...
Hell even if it was free I would not be interested....But it's interesting to watch how the whole weed thing develops...

Good idea for a photo project, so dodged the rain drops this morning and did a photo survey. I counted seven, plus one too green to smoke.
P8260005.JPG

P8260007.JPG

P8260011.JPG

P8260015.JPG

P8260016.JPG

P8260019.JPG

P8260021.JPG

Last one on Buakhao. Bit green to be rolling into a joint.
P8260023.JPG

• Like 1
  • Great Info 4

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Good idea for a photo project, so dodged the rain drops this morning and did a photo survey. I counted seven, plus one too green to smoke.
P8260005.JPG

P8260007.JPG

P8260011.JPG

P8260015.JPG

P8260016.JPG

P8260019.JPG

P8260021.JPG

Last one on Buakhao. Bit green to be rolling into a joint.
P8260023.JPG

Good job...Good pictures...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I mention  Papagayo the other week someone mentioned the restaurant next door.

whilst I was temporally halted on the power walk last night , walked up and had a look...open....

Tables all set out, still no coyote dancers that I saw....

IMG_20220825_211253.jpg

IMG_20220825_211308.jpg

And another opening or reopening in Soi 6,Love 66 Agogo....beach end.....

IMG_20220826_205033.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I'm reading on another forum that Peppermint in Walking Street has reopened. Sadly, the report says the girls are division 3.

I think that is pretty universal. 

Think we were spoiled years ago, now most of the best ones are on social media or door girls. I have been disappointed once entering many establishments.

• Thumbs Up 1

Read on another forum Warehouse had a soft opening yesterday. What was interesting in the post is any customers wearing open toed footwear were being refused entry.

I'll hazard a guess all that will do is keep the looky-loos out. I expect customers into the nightclub scene, after spending an inconsiderable amount of time in front of a mirror primping before going out, would never be caught dead in sandals anyway.

7 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Read on another forum Warehouse had a soft opening yesterday. What was interesting in the post is any customers wearing open toed footwear were being refused entry.

I'll hazard a guess all that will do is keep the looky-loos out. I expect customers into the nightclub scene, after spending an inconsiderable amount of time in front of a mirror primping before going out, would never be caught dead in sandals anyway.

lookie-loo

look·ie-loo |  \ ˈlu̇-kē-ˈlü   \
variants:  or looky-loo
plural lookie-loos or looky-loos

Definition of lookie-loo

US,  informal + often disparaging 
: a person who looks at something: such as
a: a person who goes somewhere or stops to look at something (such as the scene of an accident) : an intrusively curious onlooker  usually plural… to discourage the thousands of lookie-loos who once jammed the street to get a glimpse of the murder scene.— David W. Myers
b: a person who looks at something for sale without intending to buy itAnd how should you get your old house ready for "looky-loos" as well as the serious buyers?— Roger Showley

First Known Use of lookie-loo

1977, in the meaning defined above

I learned a new word.

26 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Last trip was 2 months, I arrived in Pattaya wearing shoes and left wearing them. In between it was only open toe sandals.

• Like 2