What's your baht worth? Exchange rates on the street...

Painter

Bank of England teased the markets that interests rates were certain to rise to combat soaring inflation. Seemed nailed on at least 0.25% rise. In the event and come the big day nothing zilch nada. Sp speculators dumped the glorious pound.

Then growth figures and recovery slowed because of supply chain, Brexit border issues and also it dawned on people that maybe the BOE and government have a cunning plan. A wiser man than me told me the best way to pay down a trillion in debt and borrowing is to let inflation rip! Hence we could be rubber ducked in the next few years if we liked 50 baht to the £.

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Does anybody have any idea why the Exchange Rate has dropped from 46.2 to 43.7 in less than 3 weeks?

The drop seems too severe for currency manipulation.

• Sad 1

Be interesting to know the "threshold" that Boardies have before they decide that it's not worth the trip. for me it's 40/41, that then puts prices in Pattaya on a par with those in London, I can get a 2 litre stien of Beer in Covent Garden (Big Easy Bar and Grill, minus topless tarts dancing on tables) for £10, for the same in a Pattaya GoGo bar that's 6 x 330ml SM lights at 120 baht (£4) each. less than half the price.

Yes, I know it's no comparison, and I'm being daft but, the value for me is simply not there.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Butch said:

Be interesting to know the "threshold" that Boardies have before they decide that it's not worth the trip. for me it's 40/41, that then puts prices in Pattaya on a par with those in London, I can get a 2 litre stien of Beer in Covent Garden (Big Easy Bar and Grill, minus topless tarts dancing on tables) for £10, for the same in a Pattaya GoGo bar that's 6 x 330ml SM lights at 120 baht (£4) each. less than half the price.

Yes, I know it's no comparison, and I'm being daft but, the value for me is simply not there.

No real limit for me, I just want to escape the cold winters in the UK for several months at a time. That equates to being in living mode as apart from being in party mode. I don't need to spend much money to have a good time!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

As I said earlier, my first trip GBP = 46. I've seen it up at 54.5 but when I arrived in March 2020 it was around 39. I stayed for 6 months so I guess it was acceptable. Mind you, for much of that time the bars were closed and cases of beer from Big C kept the cost down. Lady drinks in my room were 50 bt for a large beer.  :default_biggrin:

I'm planning 2 months from mid January, 44 or 45 is fine.

• Like 5

Exchange rate isn’t an issue with us, as we mostly stay at the inlaws places in Phatum Thani or Nakhon Sawan, unless we go to Hua Hin. Plus, we’ve  still got plenty of funds there from when the exchange rate was 76 to £1 back in early 2020. 🤗
However, this Covid shit and the need to jump through so many hoops and quarantine in some rip off hotel, puts a stop to us traveling to the LOS for the next year or so, especially now that a new COVID variant has the potential to f**k up any plans we may make.

August is when we normally go for a month or so during our sons school holidays, but if we have to spend a week or more in quarantine, then it’s not worth going.

Maybe it’ll be easier to bring her family over for 6 months, as we’ve done that several times before, so that’s what we are hoping May be possible for 2022. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

Exchange rate isn’t an issue with us, as we mostly stay at the inlaws places in Phatum Thani or Nakhon Sawan, unless we go to Hua Hin. Plus, we’ve  still got plenty of funds there from when the exchange rate was 76 to £1 back in early 2020. 🤗
However, this Covid shit and the need to jump through so many hoops and quarantine in some rip off hotel, puts a stop to us traveling to the LOS for the next year or so, especially now that a new COVID variant has the potential to f**k up any plans we may make.

August is when we normally go for a month or so during our sons school holidays, but if we have to spend a week or more in quarantine, then it’s not worth going.

Maybe it’ll be easier to bring her family over for 6 months, as we’ve done that several times before, so that’s what we are hoping May be possible for 2022. 

Surely a typo?. Otherwise I'll be crying in my coffee!

Edited by Butch
  • Haha 3