Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

Went to Kilkenny bar yesterday for Sunday lunch - tasted very good!!! - lamb nice and tender and not too fatty. Plenty of gravy plus an extra boatful if needed. Although only one roast potato - it was very big, and there was a mountain of mash 🙂

IMG_7411.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Chappo said:

Went to Kilkenny bar yesterday for Sunday lunch - tasted very good!!! - lamb nice and tender and not too fatty. Plenty of gravy plus an extra boatful if needed. Although only one roast potato - it was very big, and there was a mountain of mash 🙂

IMG_7411.jpg

Quality lunch there mate

I was in a discussion on another board about using a mineral water soak to tenderize beef, and wondered if Soda water would work.

I decided to test the idea.  I picked up two Thai Angus rib eyes from the freezer section at Makro.  BTW: I hadn't tried that brand before, they were good.  I soaked one and the other was grilled as is.  A ribeye isn't going to be that tough so I only soaked for about 30 minutes.  The texture was definitely different.

SodaSoakTest.thumb.jpg.744a2a79dc22acdbbf9d043aa9ac3092.jpg

I seasoned them both with Lawry's seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Brushed with melted butter before they hit the grill.  As I was firing up the grill for this I also did some hotdogs and smoked pork sausages for the kids, plus some paprika potato wedges.

Grill210428.thumb.jpg.1ae54ff0ccc20ae17b015a62511d0e61.jpg

Verdict: Soda water works.  I cooked both to medium rare+ and the un-soaked one was a little chewy, but much better than most Thai beef I've tried.  The soaked one could be pulled apart with just a fork.  We didn't notice any flavor difference between the two.  TW (in braces) and Daughter both preferred the soaked one.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tko said:

I was in a discussion on another board about using a mineral water soak to tenderize beef, and wondered if Soda water would work.

I decided to test the idea.  I picked up two Thai Angus rib eyes from the freezer section at Makro.  BTW: I hadn't tried that brand before, they were good.  I soaked one and the other was grilled as is.  A ribeye isn't going to be that tough so I only soaked for about 30 minutes.  The texture was definitely different.

SodaSoakTest.thumb.jpg.744a2a79dc22acdbbf9d043aa9ac3092.jpg

I seasoned them both with Lawry's seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Brushed with melted butter before they hit the grill.  As I was firing up the grill for this I also did some hotdogs and smoked pork sausages for the kids, plus some paprika potato wedges.

Grill210428.thumb.jpg.1ae54ff0ccc20ae17b015a62511d0e61.jpg

Verdict: Soda water works.  I cooked both to medium rare+ and the un-soaked one was a little chewy, but much better than most Thai beef I've tried.  The soaked one could be pulled apart with just a fork.  We didn't notice any flavor difference between the two.  TW (in braces) and Daughter both preferred the soaked one.

Very interesting, I’ve not heard that before but as a I like a steak I shall give it a go.

• Thumbs Up 1