Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

I should have posted these pics 10 days ago on honor of Mexico's Day of the Dead.

Tomatillos are a staple in Mexican and Central American cooking. 

Untitled-1.png

Despite the name (Spanish for "little tomato") and appearance, tomatillos are only distantly related to garden-variety red tomatoes.  Both tomatillos and tomatoes are classified botanically as fruits but are regarded as vegetables when used as a food ingredient.  Tomatillos have a sour herbal taste, totally different from tomatoes.  They are mostly used raw in salsa verde ("green salsa") but can be used in a number of cooked dishes as well.

I made salsa verde to go with tacos ...

IMG_1708.png

IMG_1711.png

as well as chicken ...

IMG_1736A.png

and baked fish with tomato, avocado and Mexican "street style" sweet corn ...

IMG_1772.png

IMG_1777.png

This is what the tilapia looked like without the topping, baked in brown butter with Mexican spices ...

IMG_1797.png

and also in fish tacos with the leftovers  ...

IMG_1782.png

IMG_1786.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Painter said:

Chucked a few mushrooms into the leftover potroast from a couple of days ago.

Like some other dishes, it had seemed to improve in flavour over time. Either that, or there was extra tasty mold in it....

20211111_174852.jpg

How do you make that gravy so thick. I've made a lot of pot roasts in the crock pot over the years, but it never comes out like that.

I am guessing that you add some flour in when setting things up. If so.... how much flour do you put in ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

My first portion of my recently made pimped up spag bol without the Spag. Lol

20211111_144324.jpg

I make up about 20 portions of bolognese every so often and put it in freezer bags. 

Sometimes, I fancy Chili con carne, so I add kidney beans, chili flakes and perhaps sweet corn then serve with rice. 

It's very versatile and I can have a home cooked meal done in around 15 minutes with use of a microwave and a pan of boiling water. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I make up about 20 portions of bolognese every so often and put it in freezer bags. 

Sometimes, I fancy Chili con carne, so I add kidney beans, chili flakes and perhaps sweet corn then serve with rice. 

It's very versatile and I can have a home cooked meal done in around 15 minutes with use of a microwave and a pan of boiling water. 

I do a batch which gives me around 10 portions to be frozen, Mine is a bit of a mix between a bol and a chilli, I add spicey chorizo sausage, mushrooms, bacon, onions, garlic, bol sauce and also a hot powered chilli mix from Schwartz.

After being frozen and thawed out over night, it's just 2 minutes in the microwave after either cooking some veg or spaghetti.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

I do a batch which gives me around 10 portions to be frozen, Mine is a bit of a mix between a bol and a chilli, I add spicey chorizo sausage, mushrooms, bacon, onions, garlic, bol sauce and also a hot powered chilli mix from Schwartz.

After being frozen and thawed out over night, it's just 2 minutes in the microwave after either cooking some veg or spaghetti.

:default_blum:

Got some of my crock pot pork thawing now. Finished off the last pot o chile last night.

Going to try and make some real gravy with this batch.

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Going to try and make some real gravy 

Depending on where one lives / comes from, "real gravy" can vary immensely.

For me, being English, the standard meat juices / onions / oxo or Bisto and splash of water is the way to go.....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

Ummm, not sure I can manage a steak this big.

Will cut it in half.

20211111_141804.jpg

Hope you have a good knife.

I hacked through that bone-in giant pork shoulder the other day. Way, too much work.

I don't know how anyone could be a butcher. Dog awful work. 

5 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Hope you have a good knife.

I hacked through that bone-in giant pork shoulder the other day. Way, too much work.

I don't know how anyone could be a butcher. Dog awful work. 

It's a ribeye steak, the knife went through it like butter.

• Like 1