Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

@lazarus I think many men , myself included, just can’t accept the truths of the list of foods you showed. But I’m not arguing, I’m turning 46 and even though I lost some weight, I’ve been feeling like crap this cold winter. No doubt if you regularly eat many of those foods, you’re putting a big dent in your life expectancy, as I know I have . And this KETO craze, which has worked well for me BTW, is not helping. Encouraging people to eat as much bacon and fatty protein sources as they want, as long as carbs are zero…is extreme and can’t be healthy long term. I don’t think KETO has been around around long enough that scientists can definitely state “ yes these folks can easily lose 100+ pounds and keep a much lower body fat %, but they won’t be living to 85+ either in most cases due to artery blockage” 

The last 8 months or so, I’ve come to know my body much better, what my needs are both activity and food wise, and how hard I must work to change, along with “how much I can get away with”. My conclusions are 1) that “maintenance” is not very difficult, as long as I’m stepping on the scale 

2) I never really measure my food, but you can’t out-train a bad diet….By all means be active, but don’t think a 45 minute walk then gives you the right to scarf down 6,000+ calories instead of 2,500 and you won’t get fat. The only guys who truly need to eat massively are athletes in their 20’s, otherwise it just goes to your gut

3) Be consistent- this one I haven’t mastered yet. Does 10,000 steps a day work ? Does low carb work? Does drinking a gallon of water a day work? Does fasting work? Does climbing 100’s of steps every day work? Does cutting out soda & booze work?

The answer is YES to all of these,now imagine doing all 5 or 6 aspects together for at least a month? I never have unfortunately, I might do 2 for a week, then quit, and I’m STILL down 30 pounds since July 1. My problem is when I hit 300 and eventually 294, patting myself on the back and saying “well at least you’re way down from 335 you once weighed”. I can’t think that is acceptable….anyway, warmer weather is coming and so will my long walks. 
My medium-term goal is 275, haven’t been there in 11 years and when I do, clothes shopping will be so much easier……no more BiG&Tall

Nice post mate 👍

Way I see it is, diet's are a short term fix, they won't let you keep weight off if you start going back to your old lifestyle habits. You need to change your lifestyle permanently. That's what I have done.

Before I quit drinking and went vegan I was weighing in the low 90's kilo's, now I'm in the low 60's. Would do over 2000 calories a day in cider, and while I ate reasonably healthy most of the time, I still ate a lot of crap as well as drinking makes me lazy, so would order pizza etc.

Now I rarely eat takeaway, mainly because the veggie options usually are fairly limited, plus I have always preferred preparing my own food, you know how it's been handled, stored etc.

Not saying you should go to my extreme, but you need to make some lifestyle changes and stick to them to keep weight off long term. Plus the health benefits are worth it alone.

Good luck in your efforts mate, you'll find its worth the what seems tough sacrifices in the long run.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Sorry, I misled you with my meandering post. I thought you were in Pattaya.

No mate, came down for the weekend to meet up with some guys and to dip my wick into some familiar pussy. Spent this last weekend with a mate fishing in Udon. Back in Bkk now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Nice post mate 👍

Way I see it is, diet's are a short term fix, they won't let you keep weight off if you start going back to your old lifestyle habits. You need to change your lifestyle permanently. That's what I have done.

Before I quit drinking and went vegan I was weighing in the low 90's kilo's, now I'm in the low 60's. Would do over 2000 calories a day in cider, and while I ate reasonably healthy most of the time, I still ate a lot of crap as well as drinking makes me lazy, so would order pizza etc.

Now I rarely eat takeaway, mainly because the veggie options usually are fairly limited, plus I have always preferred preparing my own food, you know how it's been handled, stored etc.

Not saying you should go to my extreme, but you need to make some lifestyle changes and stick to them to keep weight off long term. Plus the health benefits are worth it alone.

Good luck in your efforts mate, you'll find its worth the what seems tough sacrifices in the long run.

Exactly.

Personal behavioral change only happens from within. Anyone who takes steps to lose weight and stay healthy is commendable. As long as that is what they want.

Good eating, even moderately good eating, is easy if one adds more vegetables, fruits and legumes to their diet. Basic stuff.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Exactly.

Personal behavioral change only happens from within. Anyone who takes steps to lose weight and stay healthy is commendable. As long as that is what they want.

Good eating, even moderately good eating, is easy if one adds more vegetables, fruits and legumes to their diet. Basic stuff.

As you say, if it's what you want. That's why I don't agree with Governments sticking their noses in and trying to force people to change their diet to suit their agenda. Fucking wrong. 

All this increasing tax on sugary food, alcohol etc. It's down to the individual to decide what they put in their mouth not a minister's decision. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

many men , myself included, just can’t accept the truths of the list of foods you showed. But I’m not arguing, I’m turning 46 and even though I lost some weight, I’ve been feeling like crap this cold winter.

Great post, being lazy but particularly like the first line😁

@galenkia is our dietary guru, if really we wanted to lose weight we'd follow his regimen but who has his will power? 

I've lost weight in the 3 years don't know how much but dropped down from a 34 waist back to the 32 I was years back, I've never been a big guy though. I don't weigh myself but I know the changes I've been gradually making are working.

It's been a series of small tweaks.

If I could recommend one change it would be porridge every day for breakfast with some fruit dumped in it. Full of fibre and it takes ages to digest-really sets you up for the day. Honey and other sweetners are not allowed😁. With that as a start to your day it will help to regulate what you have for lunch.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Lemondropkid said:

Great post, being lazy but particularly like the first line😁

@galenkia is our dietary guru, if really we wanted to lose weight we'd follow his regimen but who has his will power? 

I've lost weight in the 3 years don't know how much but dropped down from a 34 waist back to the 32 I was years back, I've never been a big guy though. I don't weigh myself but I know the changes I've been gradually making are working.

It's been a series of small tweaks.

If I could recommend one change it would be porridge every day for breakfast with some fruit dumped in it. Full of fibre and it takes ages to digest-really sets you up for the day. Honey and other sweetners are not allowed😁. With that as a start to your day it will help to regulate what you have for lunch.

Good luck to you.

Totally agree about cereal and fruit, it's what I have every morning. As you say, set's you up for the day. I usually have 2 Weetabix, some bran flakes and some fruit on top. Keeps me going until lunch without getting hungry. I have almond milk and no sugar or sweetener. All good healthy calories.

• Like 4

Just now, galenkia said:

Totally agree about cereal and fruit, it's what I have every morning. As you say, set's you up for the day. I usually have 2 Weetabix, some bran flakes and some fruit on top. Keeps me going until lunch without getting hungry. I have almond milk and no sugar or sweetener. All good healthy calories.

Agree.

I should have added in reply that if Golfie  doesn't have a lot of fibre in his diet, then he probably should introduce this type of breakfast gradually.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, galenkia said:

diet's are a short term fix, they won't let you keep weight off if you start going back to your old lifestyle habits. You need to change your lifestyle permanently

I rarely eat takeaway

I read that correct mate, low 60’s? Well done, I hope you’re not near 6 foot tall like me, because that sounds downright skinny! I reached ~ 90kg, for a brief moment back in 2000, and body fat was about 14%, almost saw my abs. Shape of my life and very disappointing to reach my fattest of 153 all by 2013……damn almost a pound per month for 13 years. That hurts when I analyze it that way, but it’s the truth, the digits don’t lie. The flip side is 1lb a week for 2 years and I’m again in best shape ever….

But hey, I’m not the only man who let himself go, in fact I dare say only a small minority of us look better at 50 than we did at 20. I can also confirm that unless you’re born with a super metabolism, those that worked hard and THEN quit, probably got fatter much faster than the guy who never worked out in his life. Just look at Ronaldo(Brazil) and Prince Naseem once they retired……unrecognizable. Maradona too. 

With weight/body image, I don’t think it’s healthy to be obsessive, unless you’re an athlete and millions $ are on the line. But at the same time, when I look at myself I’m angry for getting as heavy as I did. A benchmark, we should strive to be somewhere close to the same trouser size even decades later… took me 13 years to go from 34 to 46! And I go up a dozen steps easily many times daily……I sure can’t do 100 at the same speed. But it should be a breeze if I was lighter 

Anyway, thanks for your input and encouragement Allan

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Agree.

I should have added in reply that if Golfie  doesn't have a lot of fibre in his diet, then he probably should introduce this type of breakfast gradually.

Yes, haven’t had oats in a while, but when I did, they are a miracle food. Also when I do eat whatever I please, but neglect the fiber, I’m starting to see the difference when it comes to toilet time. I don’t see myself taking Metamucil either, rather have oats or whole wheat toast 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, galenkia said:

As you say, if it's what you want. That's why I don't agree with Governments sticking their noses in and trying to force people to change their diet to suit their agenda. Fucking wrong. 

All this increasing tax on sugary food, alcohol etc. It's down to the individual to decide what they put in their mouth not a minister's decision. 

Exactly. I remember in the 90’s, my government started mandating pictures of cancerous lungs and rotten teeth be put on cigarette packs. 

But did everyone quit smoking? 

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

I read that correct mate, low 60’s? Well done, I hope you’re not near 6 foot tall like me, because that sounds downright skinny! I reached ~ 90kg, for a brief moment back in 2000, and body fat was about 14%, almost saw my abs. Shape of my life and very disappointing to reach my fattest of 153 all by 2013……damn almost a pound per month for 13 years. That hurts when I analyze it that way, but it’s the truth, the digits don’t lie. The flip side is 1lb a week for 2 years and I’m again in best shape ever….

But hey, I’m not the only man who let himself go, in fact I dare say only a small minority of us look better at 50 than we did at 20. I can also confirm that unless you’re born with a super metabolism, those that worked hard and THEN quit, probably got fatter much faster than the guy who never worked out in his life. Just look at Ronaldo(Brazil) and Prince Naseem once they retired……unrecognizable. Maradona too. 

With weight/body image, I don’t think it’s healthy to be obsessive, unless you’re an athlete and millions $ are on the line. But at the same time, when I look at myself I’m angry for getting as heavy as I did. A benchmark, we should strive to be somewhere close to the same trouser size even decades later… took me 13 years to go from 34 to 46! And I go up a dozen steps easily many times daily……I sure can’t do 100 at the same speed. But it should be a breeze if I was lighter 

Anyway, thanks for your input and encouragement Allan

100% correct mate - the guys who worked hard physically, and the athletes - they are the ones who put it on big time when they stop doing all that exercise.  Their body still wants the food, but they are not burning it up and as the years go by, their metabolism slows. 

One of the many good things about being a bloke, is that losing weight is a lot easier than it is for the girls - unless they go for a gastrectomy. I found the key was having a reason, then it was a matter of implementing a plan. I decided there are foods I must remove and others I must limit:-  I dont drink any sodas or red bull or fruit drinks, very little beer or wine (spirits now and then), no cheese, no chips or cheese snacks, no bacon (aaargh), not much milk (light only), no processed meats, very little fast foods (Maccas etc.), no frozen veggies or anything like that (it is all a lie), very little sweets (chocolate/ice cream etc.), only 2-3 coffee/tea a day, limited rice, and more I cant think of right now.  But I eat a lot of fresh veggies, fruit (but not too much), lean steak, chicken, fish, pork (in Thailand only), and others also forgotten.  But - without a Thai wife that would probably not have happened so well - she only used fresh stuff and prepares it all herself. 

But the 2 big things I did before doing all that.  1.  Drink a lot more water - a lot - started every day with a big glass of water before anything else - and then kept going.  2. Bought a decent set of scales and weighed myself first thing every morning - that way I immediately knew if I was trending up or down. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I decided there are foods I must remove and others I must limit:-  I dont drink any sodas or red bull or fruit drinks, very little beer or wine (spirits now and then), no cheese, no chips or cheese snacks, no bacon (aaargh), not much milk (light only), no processed meats, very little fast foods (Maccas etc.), no frozen veggies or anything like that (it is all a lie), very little sweets (chocolate/ice cream etc.), only 2-3 coffee/tea a day, limited rice, and more I cant think of right now.  But I eat a lot of fresh veggies, fruit (but not too much), lean steak, chicken, fish, pork 

But the 2 big things I did before doing all that.  1.  Drink a lot more water - a lot - started every day with a big glass of water before anything else - and then kept going.  2. Bought a decent set of scales and weighed myself first thing every morning - that way I immediately knew if I was trending up or down. 

That pretty much sounds like a recipe for success, you’re no fun! One thing I noticed being north of 300, is even eating crap while being sedentary, some foods were still way worse than others. Two I can think of are 1) OJ, I’d drink a carton, you don’t realize the sugar/carbs is sky high and 2) Those frozen pizza pockets, I’d have a 4 pack as a quick dinner, probably 1200 calories but stuck to my gut like 10,000

I hardly ever drink, and when I did get pissed as a youngster it wasn’t an issue with my weight. But I agree it HAS to be considered if you down many beers at a more advanced age, I’ve seen the scale after 10 pints & a Sunday meal. 

Even though I’m trying to make changes, I think I will always love to eat until I’m full, and never cut out pasta & bread completely. Just being realistic. And as much as intermittent fasts or one meal/day have worked, I can’t forget that the 6 small meals /day is what got me in my best shape ever, albeit at 24. All this talk about huge insulin spikes from eating more often…..I’m not sure. You have to experiment and see what works for YOU, as well as being realistic in your goals. 

I’m just anxious to set new lows in the spring, and not have too many bad days and stalled progress. Same time, the routines that show the quickest progress…..are also the ones you will probably quit

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

One of the many good things about being a bloke, is that losing weight is a lot easier than it is for the girls - unless they go for a gastrectomy. I found the key was having a reason, then it was a matter of implementing a plan. I decided there are foods I must remove and others I must limit:

Excellent post, this bit particularly resonates with. You've really got to want to want a healthier live

I've cut a lot of the rubbish out of my diet over the past 5 years but would admit there are some things I wouldn't be able to change. Stopped eating red meat completely and the majority of the week will follow a veggie diet.

I love an ale, still too much but have significantly reduced my intake there. The bizarre thing when I do have several days off the ale, I start to crave something sweet. Will have a small amount of dark chocolate, meant to be healthy apparently.

Probably all the sugar in the ale that my body is craving for!

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2