Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

Was before my time, but the general consensus is this man was the hardest puncher of all-time. Stallone, who was always in fantastic shape to play Rocky, wanted to take a body shot from a real HW champ. Got hit by this man, way past his fighting days, and at only about 60%…..it still made him puke! That’s a punch gentlemen

RIP to the legendary Earnie Shavers……

DFB105C2-F6F8-410E-9E30-DC944E972927.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1

Back when ABC's Wide World of Sports broadcast fights in the 70's and early 80's, I saw several fights featuring Earnie Shavers and his reputation then was as described, maybe the hardest punch thrown in boxing. I also remember hearing boxing experts say that he was the greatest heavyweight to have never won the title.

Another one gone from the best era of boxing in my lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Back when ABC's Wide World of Sports broadcast fights in the 70's and early 80's, I saw several fights featuring Earnie Shavers and his reputation then was as described, maybe the hardest punch thrown in boxing. I also remember hearing boxing experts say that he was the greatest heavyweight to have never won the title.

I’m old enough to have seen peak Tyson, Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe, Moorer(best defense ever, could hold his hands up 12 rounds). But the mid-60’s until just before Tyson hit the scene…..holy s—t! I mean what an era I missed out on. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Holmes, Cooney….I know I’m missing a few too. And like you said Eric, free on TV, no $80 PPV option! Those were the days. My earliest memory of boxing I was 6 or 7……unfortunately that was watching live Mancini killing the Korean

Today? I mean if someone donated tickets I might watch some live fights, but it’s gone so downhill, especially the HW division. Joshua/Fury/Usyk, they’re good, but it’s nothing like the old days IMO. Don’t get me started on Gayweather, for that guy to be a billionaire, as a welterweight who ran away all the time, is a tragedy. No wonder UFC is the big ticket today, it’s a better show

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

an era I missed out on. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Holmes, Cooney….I know I’m missing a few too.

I am just about old enough to remember that era in boxing.

Absolute battles, over 15 rounds, brilliant stuff.....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SteveBC said:

Absolute battles, over 15 rounds

Big difference, yes, and many went the distance. I think the last one was around the turn of the millennium, and in a very light weight division…..Was a very good thing they did away with, I think enough damage gets done in 10-12 rounds

On 9/2/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mr. Smooth said:

Ernie Shavers is one of those guys who brings back "instant recall"/

I remember so many of those fighters "back in the day". 

I remember listening to the "Thrilla in Manila" on my transistor radio. For some reason I recall I was on the bus on my way home from school. Seems odd but it might have been broadcast at that time (not sure, there is just some kind of weird memory connection). 

Ali and the other fighters that came along in those days were like giant rock stars. 

Just like the music back then.... it will never be the same. Just no comparison. Glad I was able to experience those times at that age. Nothing will ever compare.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

THE TEENAGE JOCKEY who died in a beach race meeting in Glenbeigh, Co Kerry, has been named as horse trainer Henry de Bromhead’s son, Jack.

The horse racing community is in mourning after the incident and tributes have been pouring in for the young jockey.

The tragic incident occurred at around 5pm yesterday evening on Rossbeigh strand, at the popular Glenbeigh Racing Festival.

It’s understood that Jack (13) died from injuries caused by a fall from his horse during a race.

Jack was an up-and-coming jockey, riding a winner at the Cahersiveen Races last weekend.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jack-de-bromhead-dies-in-horse-riding-accident-5857314-Sep2022/

@Lemondropkid , in case you hadn't seen this 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Stillearly said:

THE TEENAGE JOCKEY who died in a beach race meeting in Glenbeigh, Co Kerry, has been named as horse trainer Henry de Bromhead’s son, Jack.

The horse racing community is in mourning after the incident and tributes have been pouring in for the young jockey.

The tragic incident occurred at around 5pm yesterday evening on Rossbeigh strand, at the popular Glenbeigh Racing Festival.

It’s understood that Jack (13) died from injuries caused by a fall from his horse during a race.

Jack was an up-and-coming jockey, riding a winner at the Cahersiveen Races last weekend.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jack-de-bromhead-dies-in-horse-riding-accident-5857314-Sep2022/

@Lemondropkid , in case you hadn't seen this 

Thanks, I had seen it this morning- appalling news. Not something you'd wish on any family, the dad Henry is lovely man. One of my favourites trainers, Gold Cup, Grand National and Champion Hurdle in the past couple of years.

Shocking.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 2

RIP Mrs McClusky 

9A89A859-1C3F-4130-8112-6BF6AFF3D3E3.jpeg

Gwyneth Powell has died aged 76 following complications from an operation, her agent has confirmed.

The actress, who was best known for playing headmistress Mrs McClusky in the BBC show Grange Hill, died peacefully with her husband by her side last Thursday in Brighton.

• Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

RIP Mrs McClusky 

Gwyneth Powell has died aged 76 following complications from an operation, her agent has confirmed.

The actress, who was best known for playing headmistress Mrs McClusky in the BBC show Grange Hill, died peacefully with her husband by her side last Thursday in Brighton.

How Sad - was only re -reading an “where are they now” article on Grange Hill cast members over the summer. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

RIP Mrs McClusky 

Great programme. The kid that played the original baddie, Doyley,lived round the corner from me when he was in it.

RIP

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62886470

Film director Jean-Luc Godard, who spearheaded the revolutionary French New Wave of cinema, has died at 91.

Godard burst onto the scene with 1960's À bout de souffle (Breathless), which started a run of acclaimed releases that rewrote the rules of film and influenced directors from Martin Scorsese to Quentin Tarantino.

A family representative said he died by assisted suicide in Switzerland.

• Like 2

Former Wales rugby union captain and legendary broadcaster and commentator Eddie Butler has died at the age of 65.

After rising to prominence with club side Pontypool, Butler played 16 times for Wales between 1980 and 1984, captaining the side on six occasions and scoring two tries.

The number eight was called up to the British and Irish Lions squad that toured New Zealand in 1983.

After retirement he became a respected rugby broadcaster.

Butler died in his sleep on a charity trek in Peru.

• Sad 2
  • Surprised 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dame Hilary Mantel, author of the best-selling Wolf Hall trilogy, has died aged 70, her publisher has confirmed.

She won the Booker Prize twice, for 2009's Wolf Hall, the first in the Thomas Cromwell series, and its 2012 sequel Bring Up the Bodies.

In a statement, her publisher said: "We are heartbroken at the death of our beloved author, Dame Hilary Mantel.

"Our thoughts are with her friends and family, especially her husband, Gerald.

"This is a devastating loss and we can only be grateful she left us with such a magnificent body of work."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63007307

14 hours ago, Glasseye said:

A hugely influential book and movie in my time. Should be a "must-see" for all.

My uncle (by kinship) produced that movie. I remember when he was reading the book and negotiating for the screen rights with Kirk Douglas.

I lived in his house for a bit when going to college. The woman that played Nurse Ratched's assistant in the movie was staying there at the time too. She's on the left in this photo:

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1