Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I was shocked to hear about Carl Weathers' passing away. Stallone posted a very heartfelt message on how much he meant to the "Rocky" franchise and what a great guy he was in real life. Though the "Apollo Creed" character was an invention of Stallone's when he wrote that original script for the movie, it was Weathers' acting ability, his personality, confidence, bigger than life aura and not too mention his physical size, that brought that character to life.

As an audience, we went from cheering for Rocky to beat him to cheering for the both of them combined to defeat Clubber Lang in "Rocky III", to crying at him dying in the ring to Ivan Drago in "Rocky IV". A movie character that we could almost see as real.

An amazing accomplishment for an actor. 

Carl Weathers in life most certainly went the distance. 

Carl Weathers was a better man than he was a celebrity, and he was well known by most of his generation. Says it all, and is perhaps how he would prefer to be remembered

• Like 1

Ian Lavender, who played Private Frank Pike in BBC sitcom Dad’s Army, has died aged 77.

Lavender was the last surviving star of the British sitcom following the death of Frank Williams, who played Reverend Timothy Farthing, in 2022.

"Don't tell him your name Pike"

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, bob lt said:

Ian Lavender, who played Private Frank Pike in BBC sitcom Dad’s Army, has died aged 77.

Lavender was the last surviving star of the British sitcom following the death of Frank Williams, who played Reverend Timothy Farthing, in 2022.

"Don't tell him your name Pike"

Loved the quote "stupid boy"

RIP Ian Lavender

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glasseye said:

R.I.P. Toby ---

Oh, so that's who Toby Keith was - I'm not a country fan so never made the connection but this song and its video was a classic, very entertaining...TFP...

• Great Info 1

5 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Oh, so that's who Toby Keith was - I'm not a country fan so never made the connection but this song and its video was a classic, very entertaining...TFP...

Same with me, never listen to country but knew he was a big deal, very shocking news

That genre has plenty of fans on both dies of our border, believe you me. Best example of this I learned…:: driving cab in 2016 I think when Garth Brooks had IIRC 9 (NINE!) sold out shows at Saddledome over 2 weeks…..that means for roughly every 7 residents of Calgary at the time, one ticket was purchased to see Garth….crazy! I know many people went multiple times, tourists from USA etc…..but still

Country music definitely ain’t going anywhere

23 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Also,   "Not as good as i once was"

A great song and video which many of us can likely relate to.....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

This may come as a surprise to Krapow but being a lover of all things related to pubs "I love this bar"was one of my favourite songs.

Covers all the bases. Doesn't it ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just heard a friend of mine jumped to his death from his 4th floor balcony in Soi Bukhao. His name is Martin Upton, known as Uppy. He normally stays at Sutus court. Martin is from my home town of Swindon and only recently moved to Thailand for good. RIP Uppy!

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

5 hours ago, Stillearly said:

^ that's terrible a Swedish guy also fell from a 3rd floor building the same night 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2736170/foreigners-fall-to-their-deaths

Read the article, the comments at the bottom were shocking ! Easy to say suicide, but 3rd & 4th floors is not exactly guaranteed to do the job,no? Yes it’s a terrible place to retire if you run out of cash or drink heavily, but good chance they were both pushed 

9 hours ago, Spyder said:

Just heard a friend of mine jumped to his death from his 4th floor balcony in Soi Bukhao. His name is Martin Upton, known as Uppy. He normally stays at Sutus court. Martin is from my home town of Swindon and only recently moved to Thailand for good. RIP Uppy!

Who with half a brain would jump from a 4th floor to end it....That just crazy.....

Go look to rent a condo in a high-rise and yes you need to see that swimming pool on the roof too...cough cough....

The odds are in favor of a person surviving a third floor fall.....But in very bad shape....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, fforest said:

Who with half a brain would jump from a 4th floor to end it....That just crazy.....

Go look to rent a condo in a high-rise and yes you need to see that swimming pool on the roof too...cough cough....

The odds are in favor of a person surviving a third floor fall.....But in very bad shape....

I actually agree with you on this one.

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I actually agree with you on this one.

Agreed it does seem unlikely anyone would jump from the 3rd or 4th floor to commit suicide, it just doesn't seem deadly or painless enough (although even hanging doesn't seem that painless).

The other thing that makes me wonder about suicide is that don't people usually write a note - maybe there are some stats on that.

I find murder also unlikely. If not drugged it would be difficult to throw someone off a balcony when the victim can hold onto the guard rail and surely there would be a lot of noise. Drugged then pushed is more likely but it would have to be someone strong to get them over the balcony and get a bit of distance. Also, if drugged the victim can be robbed without killing or just drug even more to fake an overdose.

To me the most likely is drunk and then fall. I would expect a handrail to be at 1.1m, if it is 0.9m in Thailand it's a bit low but not really dangerously so. I certainly can't think of even once when i have nearly fallen off a balcony. 

• Like 2

Just now, Spyder said:

Uppy never seemed the suicide type, I expected him to drink himself to death, so I don’t believe this was a suicide. I guess we’ll never know what happened…

Especially if he's just arrived over here and making a new start ...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Agreed it does seem unlikely anyone would jump from the 3rd or 4th floor to commit suicide, it just doesn't seem deadly or painless enough (although even hanging doesn't seem that painless).

The other thing that makes me wonder about suicide is that don't people usually write a note - maybe there are some stats on that.

I find murder also unlikely. If not drugged it would be difficult to throw someone off a balcony when the victim can hold onto the guard rail and surely there would be a lot of noise. Drugged then pushed is more likely but it would have to be someone strong to get them over the balcony and get a bit of distance. Also, if drugged the victim can be robbed without killing or just drug even more to fake an overdose.

To me the most likely is drunk and then fall. I would expect a handrail to be at 1.1m, if it is 0.9m in Thailand it's a bit low but not really dangerously so. I certainly can't think of even once when i have nearly fallen off a balcony. 

i think (it's been a long time though) that there is a greater tendency than not to leave a note. 

Suicide is an odd thing, and sometimes you never know (accident v. intentional). Even though murder is possible, I would say highly unlikely (contrary to popular belief).

I would need to know more about the guy to make even a half assed judgement. Such as.... was he a intelligent guy ? how bad of a drunk was he ? how often did he go out on the balcony ? How long had he lived in that unit ? Most importantly, what (if anything) did anyone hear or see prior to or during the incident ?

Blood analysis, canvassing the area, checking videos, possible anonymous info., reports of incidents prior. Things that the general public will rarely know about.

17 hours ago, Spyder said:

Sorry for your loss. R.I.P.

• Thumbs Up 2