Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

5 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Without a doubt 2 of the greatest boxers of that era, add into the mix Duran and Sugar Ray and what a time that was.

Middle weights were always my favourite class. You had that period then the Benn/Eubank one. 

Lost interest in boxing when it all went box office PPV. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Middle weights were always my favourite class. You had that period then the Benn/Eubank one. 

Lost interest in boxing when it all went box office PPV. 

Add Steve Collins and Michael Watson to Benn/Eubank as well.

Nowadays apart from Joshua and Fury I don't think I'd recognise any current UK boxer if he walked past me in the street.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

Best round of boxing ever. 

RIP

More action, more punches, more fury, more attacking in this round than in an entire Mayweather fight. That 80's era with Hagler, Sugar Ray, Roberto Duran and the Hitman Tommy Hearns, was truly when gladiators ruled the sport. These men measured themselves against one another, sought out one another, wanted to fight each other because they were recognized as the best of their era, and did.

Sure the money was great, but beyond that was the pride and accomplishment gained when one of these guys defeated the other.

Of that group, Hagler was my favorite. I saw him fight to a draw against Vito Antuefermo in '79, a fight Hagler should have won, instead of the draw it was judged to be. I thought Sugar Ray, though brilliant in strategy winning  a decision over Hagler, I honestly thought Marvelous should have won by the thinnest of margins.

I can't even tell you who are the top fighters of today, let alone in each weight class, there are so many of them. But back in the 80's, a truly golden age of the sport of boxing, those guys will be remembered a century from now, and Hagler was at the top of the heap for the longest time of them all.

RIP.

• Thumbs Up 5

31 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Was shocked to see this .. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/breaking-sabine-schmitz-dead-nurburgring-23743044?fbclid=IwAR28IQ6JxF3cyygZlCkH8gBKqE2e1IKhtGOh5-Xvr-ehobrXOyzOkyT4RQc

Top Gear and German racing legend Sabine Schmitz has tragically passed away aged 51 after a long battle with cancer.

Oh wow, what a driver she was.

RIP

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/breaking-sabine-schmitz-dead-nurburgring-23743044?fbclid=IwAR28IQ6JxF3cyygZlCkH8gBKqE2e1IKhtGOh5-Xvr-ehobrXOyzOkyT4RQc

Top Gear and German racing legend Sabine Schmitz has tragically passed away aged 51 after a long battle with cancer.

That's scary as her driving a van around the 'ring' popped up on my Youtube list this morning.

RIP 

10 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Damn she was a hell of a driver and could throw any car around like it was child’s play. 
I once watched her throw a souped up Ford Transit van around the Nurburgring like it was an F1 car. 

Sad that she was taken so young. 
RIP Sabine. 😟

52 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Remember him as a kid, f**k me could he wallop a ball. 

RIP

As a kid growing up I had never seen any one volley the ball with such power and those balls back then were much heavier than what they play with these days.

The only player that reminded me of him in the ''modern game'' was Shearer.

RIP

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steven Spurrier, RIP, if you drink wine he'll have had a much bigger impact on your life than most people realise.

https://www.vinography.com/2021/03/rip-steven-spurrier-losing-a-gentleman-of-the-wine-world

I'd never heard of him until I watched the film, Bottle Shock' a while back.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914797/

When I began my adventure into the world of wine in the late 1970's. like many people I started off with Hugh Johnsons's Atlas of Wine, which grudgingly admitted back then that there were a few halfway decent wines that came from Italy and Spain (Brunello di Montalcino and Vega Sicilia, for example), and possibly (though whisper it) even from the US and Australia, but all the great wines and most of the interesting ones came from la belle France.

And how that view would change after the best that France could offer were soundly beaten by Californian wines, and not just once. It's now been many years since I last drank any French wine, other than champagne, almost all of it is overpriced and over-rated. Nowadays, I drink mainly Australian and Chilean reds, and NZ Marlborough whites. Though I will admit that French champagne is still be best, but only the expensive stuff like Taittinger or Bollinger, the cheap 10 or 15 quid rubbish in the UK supermarkets isn't worth bothering with.

RIP, Steven Spurrier, you did the world of wine drinkers a huge service.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:25 PM, Golfingboy said:

Actor Yaphet Kotto has passed at age 81, in the Philippines. I remember him best as one of the contestants alongside  Arnold in The Running Man

On 3/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, Stillearly said:

Live and Let Die as well 

Alonzo Mosely - Midnight Run

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/apr/06/friday-night-dinner-star-paul-ritter-dies-of-brain-tumour-at-54

The actor Paul Ritter has died of a brain tumour at the age of 54, his agent has told the Guardian. Ritter who starred as the family patriarch Martin in Channel 4’s Friday Night Dinner alongside Tamsin Greig, Simon Bird and Tom Rosenthal died on Monday.

In a statement, his agent said that the actor, who also appeared in numerous films including Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Quantum of Solace, died at home with his family by his side.

Ritter was also a talented stage actor, and was nominated for an Olivier award in 2006 for his performance in Coram Boy and for a Tony award for his 2009 starring role in the Norman Conquests.

• Like 1

Rapper DMX gone at only 50, removed from life support a week after a drug-induced heart attack. Extremely talented artist, should have been a very wealthy man, but died broke. His drug addiction plus child support payments to FIFTEEN kids, along with other legal problems, drained him of all his cash. A real tragic case, he was loved by millions but had his demons, growing up in an abusive household and started smoking crack at 14

RIP Dawg

57D0D5E4-BE23-4E77-8158-0E56CA8F388C.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy