COVID 19 Related to THAILAND Posts

13 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Get them bars open.....

Agree. Getting harder for the govt to justify the continued bar closure in Chonburi when the cases/100k in the Eastern Region are almost even with the Bangkok Region. In fact if you look at the raw numbers for the chart below, Bangkok with 832 new cases compared to Chonburi's 151 is five times higher than the next closest city in the region, whereas Chonburi is only 1.7 times higher than Rayong*.

The * is to note the Chonburi numbers are slightly higher because Rayong has been sending some Covid cases to Chonburi where they get counted as part of Chonburi's daily total.

image.png

source: https://djay.github.io/covidthailand/#cases

• Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Agree. Getting harder for the govt to justify the continued bar closure in Chonburi when the cases/100k in the Eastern Region are almost even with the Bangkok Region. In fact if you look at the raw numbers for the chart below, Bangkok with 832 new cases compared to Chonburi's 151 is five times higher than the next closest city in the region, whereas Chonburi is only 1.7 times higher than Rayong*.

The * is to note the Chonburi numbers are slightly higher because Rayong has been sending some Covid cases to Chonburi where they get counted as part of Chonburi's daily total.

image.png

source: https://djay.github.io/covidthailand/#cases

I fail to see how they can justify Pattaya bars continued closure, its disgraceful imo. Do they not realise or care that thousands of THAI CITIZENS are being denied a livelihood ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh-oh...better mask up...or pay.

GOV’T THREATENS TO FINE FOREIGNERS WHO DON’T WEAR FACEMASK

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/11/23/govt-threatens-to-fine-foreigners-who-dont-wear-facemask/?fbclid=IwAR2QU8GigpsAz1n5w9ub_XoJSrI-ZYrfsLmkqI8T5eEBIwvbPQdlMKNawuQ

BANGKOK — The government’s pandemic response center said the country is at the risk of another coronavirus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public.

Centre for COVID-19 Situation spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangson said the agency has received complaints from hotel staff and provincial officials who witnessed violations of coronavirus safety measures among foreign visitors in some areas.

Apisamai said tourists are subject to the nationwide mask mandate, which carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht for violators. It is also considered a criminal offense.

“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted,” she said.

The threat and advice to foreigners to wear masks were then repeated during the same news conference in English by Ministry of Foreign Affairs deputy spokesman Natapanu Nopakun, who reminded everyone that under the Communicable Disease Act, masks must be worn when engaging in activities in public.

“You’re required to wear masks while in public spaces and while doing activities in groups,” he said. “There is a maximum of 20,000 baht for failing to do so.”

The mask mandate was imposed in late April, when coronavirus resurgence was starting to take hold, fueled by high-ranking government officials and VIPs who flouted social distancing rules and gathered to make parties.

. . .

Phuket airport officials offer facemasks to visitors who arrived on a flight from Moscow, Russia, on Nov. 1, 2021.

2136884-1024x683.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Oh-oh...better mask up...or pay.

GOV’T THREATENS TO FINE FOREIGNERS WHO DON’T WEAR FACEMASK

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/11/23/govt-threatens-to-fine-foreigners-who-dont-wear-facemask/?fbclid=IwAR2QU8GigpsAz1n5w9ub_XoJSrI-ZYrfsLmkqI8T5eEBIwvbPQdlMKNawuQ

BANGKOK — The government’s pandemic response center said the country is at the risk of another coronavirus outbreak because some foreign visitors are failing to follow disease control measures, like wearing facemasks in public.

Centre for COVID-19 Situation spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangson said the agency has received complaints from hotel staff and provincial officials who witnessed violations of coronavirus safety measures among foreign visitors in some areas.

Apisamai said tourists are subject to the nationwide mask mandate, which carries a maximum fine of 20,000 baht for violators. It is also considered a criminal offense.

“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted,” she said.

The threat and advice to foreigners to wear masks were then repeated during the same news conference in English by Ministry of Foreign Affairs deputy spokesman Natapanu Nopakun, who reminded everyone that under the Communicable Disease Act, masks must be worn when engaging in activities in public.

“You’re required to wear masks while in public spaces and while doing activities in groups,” he said. “There is a maximum of 20,000 baht for failing to do so.”

The mask mandate was imposed in late April, when coronavirus resurgence was starting to take hold, fueled by high-ranking government officials and VIPs who flouted social distancing rules and gathered to make parties.

. . .

Phuket airport officials offer facemasks to visitors who arrived on a flight from Moscow, Russia, on Nov. 1, 2021.

2136884-1024x683.jpg

Do you have to wear mask all the time ? Even outside walking the street? 
Or just when you go indoors 

1 hour ago, fforest said:

I wear a mask in 7-11 and the bank......

Shopping, that's about it for me, too. Rarely go to banks here in the US.

Also wear a mask is on my kid's school grounds. The US 5-11yo vaccine rate is up to 10% after a few weeks. It'll be awhile before Covid protocols are lifted. Maybe next year?

At my high school reunion last week only the banquet servers at the restaurant wore masks. Some customers wore masks; it was busy. They passed out a list of those who'd recently died (+the overall list), and said a prayer.

The view outside the restaurant...fresh ocean air.

20211119_155534-2.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2

Wonder if we'll see the same Covid warning notice in a week or so for those who attended the recent music and fireworks festivals?

Think it's inevitable the virus will get passed on as a result of such large gatherings, but I also think we're at the point now where we need to just live with the virus.

For those that have been vaccinated, no big deal. For those that are choosing not to vaccinate and are in one of the at risk groups, hope you avoid the places where the virus is getting passed on as your odds are not that good for a positive outcome if you do become infected.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Wonder if we'll see the same Covid warning notice in a week or so for those who attended the recent music and fireworks festivals?

Think it's inevitable the virus will get passed on as a result of such large gatherings, but I also think we're at the point now where we need to just live with the virus.

For those that have been vaccinated, no big deal. For those that are choosing not to vaccinate and are in one of the at risk groups, hope you avoid the places where the virus is getting passed on as your odds are not that good for a positive outcome if you do become infected.

I was concerned after Saturday evening’s visit to the fireworks event.  I suppose in practice I was in close proximity to three people for any significant period of time.  It was also outside with a gentle breeze.  I actually left after the third part of the show to beat the crowds departing.  I also took a motorcycle taxi as drivers were overfilling the baht buses.

I have taken two rapid flow tests substantially and fortunately both were negative. 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, john luke said:

I was concerned after Saturday evening’s visit to the fireworks event.  I suppose in practice I was in close proximity to three people for any significant period of time.  It was also outside with a gentle breeze.  I actually left after the third part of the show to beat the crowds departing.  I also took a motorcycle taxi as drivers were overfilling the baht buses.

I have taken two rapid flow tests substantially and fortunately both were negative. 

I would suggest that you are less at risk standing next to people outside than what you maybe sat cuddling up to a motor bike driver on a bike used by loads of people previously.

Having said that, you need to get on with life as covid isn't going away anytime soon.

I was searching for the 'vaccine rollout graphs' on Khaosod Twitter page but could not find anything after October 26th.khaosod oct 26.png

I did find the following information

GOV’T ADMITS TO MISSING JAB GOAL BY NATIONAL DAY

By  Khaosod English   December 6, 2021 10:30 am

BANGKOK — The Ministry of Public Health said it has missed its own target of administering 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine by Sunday, which celebrates the National Day.

Gov’t Admits to Missing Jab Goal by National Day (khaosodenglish.com)

2 hours ago, bob lt said:

I was searching for the 'vaccine rollout graphs' on Khaosod Twitter page but could not find anything after October 26th.
khaosod oct 26.png

I did find the following information

GOV’T ADMITS TO MISSING JAB GOAL BY NATIONAL DAY

By  Khaosod English   December 6, 2021 10:30 am

BANGKOK — The Ministry of Public Health said it has missed its own target of administering 100 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine by Sunday, which celebrates the National Day.

Gov’t Admits to Missing Jab Goal by National Day (khaosodenglish.com)

I've been using Khaosod's FB pages as a source. Most recent graph from there is Nov 30th.

Don't know why the govt changed the goal posts to 100 million doses from the originally stated goal of 70% of the population full vaccinated. IMHO, the fully vaccinated goal was a more important goal to achieve than the number of doses administered.

The number of doses administered is also a meaningless statistic as it will include many who have received three doses which does nothing to further the goal of fully vaccinated a country's population. Surprised I've not seen any news reports challenging the govt's shift in goals.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Time to polish up your crystal balls and tell us how you think Omicron is going to affect the situation in Thailand.

I believe it will arrive very soon, and come as a shock, despite the several weeks of warning. The shock will provoke big reactions, including closing the bars that have recently re-opened.

Even if the optimistic predictions that this variant will be less dangerous than Delta, I wonder how effective the Chinese vaccines will be against it. If not effective, Omicron could be devastating because of how easily it is transmitted.

38 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Time to polish up your crystal balls and tell us how you think Omicron is going to affect the situation in Thailand.

I believe it will arrive very soon, and come as a shock, despite the several weeks of warning. The shock will provoke big reactions, including closing the bars that have recently re-opened.

Even if the optimistic predictions that this variant will be less dangerous than Delta, I wonder how effective the Chinese vaccines will be against it. If not effective, Omicron could be devastating because of how easily it is transmitted.

81D36CDE-D3B4-4F45-8C60-BD1432B25080.jpeg

• Sad 1

-XaRPeId_x96.jpg

🔴 According to local media, the Minister of Public Health said in an interview that he will propose to the CCSA to cancel Test and Go and bring back quarantine for everyone. This is expected to be discussed soon. Thailand has found 63 Omicron cases & 20 more are pending results.
Edited by Zeb

CITING OMICRON, THAILAND TO REIMPOSE QUARANTINE FOR TOURISTS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/12/20/citing-omicron-thailand-to-reimpose-quarantine-for-tourists/?fbclid=IwAR0-LlMSGyyrN3LIhPb3dBQwdE1pBcyKaQZk8bhAjA0h7-frFcfmOLRui0g

BANGKOK — Overseas travelers to Thailand, whether they are foreigners or Thais, may have to undergo mandatory quarantine again soon in order to stem the global spread of omicron variant of the coronavirus, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Monday.

Anutin told an interview show on Nation TV that he has already informed key officials in the ministry about the possibility of canceling the “Test and Go” program, which currently allows international travelers to forego lengthy quarantine, given that they are fully vaccinated and tested negative for the coronavirus upon arrival.

He justified the about-turn by citing the threats of the omicron variant, which is rapidly spreading in parts of the world.

“The situation about omicron is getting more severe,” Anutin said. “Thailand already detected 63 cases of omicron infections, and 20 more to be confirmed.”

The country will likely soon go back to reintroducing state-run quarantine for all arrivals from overseas, Anutin said, though he did not mention when.

“We have to quickly impose new measures to escalate our readiness,” the minister said.

This is a developing story and may be updated without notice.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

CITING OMICRON, THAILAND TO REIMPOSE QUARANTINE FOR TOURISTS

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/12/20/citing-omicron-thailand-to-reimpose-quarantine-for-tourists/?fbclid=IwAR0-LlMSGyyrN3LIhPb3dBQwdE1pBcyKaQZk8bhAjA0h7-frFcfmOLRui0g

BANGKOK — Overseas travelers to Thailand, whether they are foreigners or Thais, may have to undergo mandatory quarantine again soon in order to stem the global spread of omicron variant of the coronavirus, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said Monday.

Anutin told an interview show on Nation TV that he has already informed key officials in the ministry about the possibility of canceling the “Test and Go” program, which currently allows international travelers to forego lengthy quarantine, given that they are fully vaccinated and tested negative for the coronavirus upon arrival.

He justified the about-turn by citing the threats of the omicron variant, which is rapidly spreading in parts of the world.

“The situation about omicron is getting more severe,” Anutin said. “Thailand already detected 63 cases of omicron infections, and 20 more to be confirmed.”

The country will likely soon go back to reintroducing state-run quarantine for all arrivals from overseas, Anutin said, though he did not mention when.

“We have to quickly impose new measures to escalate our readiness,” the minister said.

This is a developing story and may be updated without notice.

You can see what's coming next:

"Meanwhile, the Prime Minister has reportedly said that, in view of the seriousness of the Omicron variant situation, the proposed reopening of bars and clubs in Pattaya from January 16th would be delayed for an indefinite period."

You don't need to be Mystic Meg to predict something along those lines, it's enough to make you weep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

You can see what's coming next:

"Meanwhile, the Prime Minister has reportedly said that, in view of the seriousness of the Omicron variant situation, the proposed reopening of bars and clubs in Pattaya from January 16th would be delayed for an indefinite period."

You don't need to be Mystic Meg to predict something along those lines, it's enough to make you weep.

Apparently many of them opened up this week regardless,  be interesting how they are dealt with!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

Apparently many of them opened up this week regardless,  be interesting how they are dealt with!

Yes, I've noticed that. I was in Jomtien this afternoon around 4:00 for a stroll along the beach (too chilly for the swimming pool). One of the bars just down Thappraya Road from the Dogtan police station was openly serving beer to customers. Meanwhile, not 200 yards away, the BiB were standing to attention being prepped for their next shift. On Saturday night I was coming back along Thappraya Road from a meal in Frankie's Inn and one of the bars on the Jomtien Complex side of the road was packed with people drinking. Good on the cops for turning a blind eye to all this, but I don't know how long it will last.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

I went to get a haircut this afternoon at one of the hairdressing salons by Rompho market, and several of the bars down there are open for business. Not many customers yet, but hopefully people will find out and start meeting up for a few jars again.

I had a wander around Buakhao, Beach Road Sois 7 and 13/1 and New Plaza this evening and most bars open.  Soi 7 had the least but still plenty to choose from.  I did read about a couple of places getting a visit from the police last night but it hasn't dampened anyone's enthusiasm by the look of it.