why is the world going nuts

grayray

5 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

An example of the actual madness.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51809318?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cwr9dx2qjppt/virgin-atlantic&link_location=live-reporting-story

Virgin Atlantic has confirmed it has been forced to operate some near-empty flights after bookings were dented by the coronavirus outbreak.

It is operating the flights to try to retain take-off and landing slots at major airports such as Heathrow.

Under European law, if flights are not operated, slots have to be forfeited.

Behind the scenes the Transport Industry chiefs are trying to get the laws amended temporarily to prevent this type of wasteful use of flights for no other reason other than keeping the slots.

I posted this on another thread before I saw this one:

Just outside of Watford are the head offices of Camelot,the company that runs the National Lottery in the UK.

According to our local rag they're closed now due to an employee coming back from Thailand with the Coronavirus.

So if you are lucky enough to win tell them to put the cheque in the post.

44 people die from alcohol poisoning after trying to ward off coronavirus with bootleg booze in Iran

Some drank 'bootleg alcohol' over rumours it would cure rapidly-spreading bug 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8095633/Coronavirus-44-people-die-alcohol-poisoning-trying-ward-coronavirus.html

Not sure if this should be here or in the Darwin Awards.

18 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Good info- great to hear a report from the ground given the California "emergency"

Shocked at your lack of Vitamin C.😮 Television always led me to believe you California residents had more oranges hanging around, than you could ever consume😉

Good point, you know the thing with me is, for some reason do not seem to do well with "citric acid" products like oranges and orange juice/grapefruit juice etc. Seems to bother my stomach a bit, kind of an uncomfortable feeling. Don't know why. Of course I can " dlink" Sangsom and Coke and no "ploblem" LOL! 

Today they announced in San Jose, Calif here, no more gatherings of 1,000 or more people....no more Hockey games at SAP Center at least through the month of March, April TBD.  A lot of events now cancelled at SAP center, our local arena. Second person died here yesterday, 61 year old woman. I am waiting on the info on the Soccer Game I bought tickets for Apr 11th outdoors at Vayama Stadium. Surprise for wifey as she likes Soccer and we have a pro team here. 

Damn.....this is just really a shame, but I still stand by my feelings....you know, just try our best to to do all of the necessary things we need per the CDC. I do not live my life in fear, never have really, we are not the "sit around the house type" and be on laptops and cell phones all day. 

Can you score me "Genesis" tickets in Manchester for December? "Turn it on again" LOL! 

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Behind the scenes the Transport Industry chiefs are trying to get the laws amended temporarily to prevent this type of wasteful use of flights for no other reason other than keeping the slots.

Bet Greta is well pissed off. 😀

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea .. no shit Bro ...

I cannot believe the panic on this thread ....

Whether the Coronavirus is really a Lion or a Lamb is up for debate....But the Clamping down on free movement and amping up the security state is real indeed...Funny how new restrictions hardly ever go in reverse..... 

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I don't see anyone panicking on this thread or on the board at all. 

Not sure why some have to be so binary on this. There is lots of middle ground between 'It's a load of made up shite no worse than the cold', and 'full panic mode we're all going to die', if you just use a little nuance. 

This is unprecedented, Governments the world over are taking this very seriously and implementing stuff that will have an impact on most, indeed many already on this forum, from business owners to tourists. Economies are crashing, businesses are going bust. They're not taking this action for nothing ffs.

If nothing else it's very interesting how this will all play out. It's unprecedented. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, fforest said:

Whether the Coronavirus is really a Lion or a Lamb is up for debate....But Clamping down of free movement and amping up the security state is real indeed...Funny how new restrictions hardly ever go in reverse..... 

Oh ffs, here we go, Mr Conspiracy.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Bet Greta is well pissed off. 😀

Not so sure, maybe she is thinking it might kill a large proportion of the population of the planet but with less planes flying the air will be clearer...

I am living in a city, I work to pay my rent and bills, I have a family with a daughter at school and a wife working in a hotel. The situation is very fluid at the moment but my life will alter very soon if taking seriously what the politicians, scientists and health experts are saying.  If the transport system is reduced, if my work is not required, if the school closes down then my life and that of my family will change dramatically even if for a short time.

If you sitting drinking Bintang in the jungle or sitting watching the waves on the beach not much might change for you....I am happy for you.

Edited by Horizondave

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

am living in a city, I work to pay my rent and bills, I have a family with a daughter at school and a wife working in a hotel. The situation is very fluid at the moment but my life will alter very soon if taking seriously what the politicians, scientists and health experts are saying.  If the transport system is reduced, if my work is not required, if the school closes down then my life and that of my family will change dramatically even if for a short time.

Exactly why government and authorities should think twice before switching to panic mode, and helping to spread the paranoia.....

The world has gone mad !

Here  there are others health issues, but no panic, it's under control...

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/10/gods-will-health-ministers-response-on-dengue-fever-deaths-in-east-nusa-tenggara.html

"Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto has thanked local health workers for their efforts to tackle a dengue fever outbreak in East Nusa Tenggara’s Sikka regency despite the death of 13 patients to the mosquito-borne viral disease.

"There were 1,190 people suffering [from dengue fever in Sikka] – that is quite a number. Thirteen of them have died, but it was not our fault. It is God's will," Terawan said during a visit to TC Hillers Maumere Region General Hospital in Sikka on Monday, as quoted by kompas.com.,"

I now need to check which prayers are the most efficient.  Meanwhile I will stick with traditional medicine, i.e. Bintang and red wine. Inshallah.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Exactly why government and authorities should think twice before switching to panic mode, and helping to spread the paranoia.....

The world has gone mad !

As far as I am aware the governments (certainly mine) are the ones who have not gone into panic mode. Now social media and forums such as this may not be as responsible.

1 minute ago, Horizondave said:

As far as I am aware the governments (certainly mine) are the ones who have not gone into panic mode. Now social media and forums such as this may not be as responsible.

Yep, but anybody who attaches serious importance to social media is suffering from another disease and need to have his head checked. 

Disclaimer : this is a personal opinion, without pretention of being biblical thruth, and should not be considered as an advice or recommendation for medical or investment purpose.

Shit, I have to remember about the disclaimer now every time I post something....😁😁😁😁

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Seeing as most deaths are the elderly who are also unwell I can't see why people should worry. 

I sure won't be. 

As I said before, natures population control.Cull the weakest. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Seeing as most deaths are the elderly who are also unwell I can't see why people should worry. 

I sure won't be. 

As much as most deaths are in the elderly many have died in all the age brackets and the rising figures will see that number increase. There are many younger people who also have underlying health problems so the risk to them is also greater.  In a couple of weeks the number affected may have us all worrying a bit more than we are now so I don't think we can just turn a blind eye. Our lives may be interrupted even if we remain healthy and well.

Of course we should carry on but our government may be making decisions over the next few weeks that may make us have more than a few moments of worry.

8 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I am happy I live on the sea in my little world ... with the people that I love ...

Never mind the rest of the bullshit .... it all works itself out at the end of the day ...

code,J

keep Ziggy and Beach girl safe,and yourself,keep ya wits about and you should be safe seeing ya only a spring chicken,what 80??????????

regards

grayray

38 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I am happy I live on the sea in my little world ... with the people that I love ...

Never mind the rest of the bullshit .... it all works itself out at the end of the day ...

Sounds great code, i'd be the exact same if I was you.

But, some of us have to live in Gotham City and do battle with the bad guys :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

I sure won't be. 

It's not as simple as that Gal, say you have a serious accident on the bike and can't get treatment because the NHS is completely over run. See the post I made below, that's a major concern now. This will impact not just the elderly.

Plus, what abut people like me who are healthy, could catch it and not know it, pass it on to my elderly aren't and they die. 

7 hours ago, Krapow said:

I work for Public Health in one of the London Boroughs. Things have certainly ramped up a bit in the last 24hours, there has been a flurry of emails from the top down this morning, including asking for volunteers for the PHE health protection teams. 

What they are also saying, is whilst the deaths from the virus is obviously a concern, another huge concern is the NHS getting completely overrun with Corona cases who need hospital treatment, and many more dying as people have to be prioritised. That's already playing out in Italy, Italy that has much, much more bed space than the UK. In Italy Doctors are now having to decide who lives and who doesn't, who gets treatment for whatever and who doesn't. There are people having strokes and serious shit like that who can't get treatment, as their health service is overrun. This is in Milan etc, who have an excellent heath service. 

That's why the UK plan is to 'delay', as they know it's coming, just trying to delay it until there is not as much pressure already on the NHS, trying for summer. 

Any emails I've read this morning from the top down have all said 'When we get into the epidemic stage'. 

So not if, when. And it's not the virus death rate, it's so much more than that. And not even talking about the economic damage. 

I'm not scaremongering, this is official internal guidance for staff from the top of Public Health England. 

Whether it plays out like they expect, who knows, but judging by Italy, it won't be pretty. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 1

On 3/8/2020 at 11:31 PM, fygjam said:

Since you raised Trump's tax cuts. Where is the $US8.3 billion emergency aid coming from?

The tax cuts caused the US government to set a record for tax revenues collected.  In fact, we've done it twice in Trump's three years so far.  If we don't have the money, it would be because Congressional Democrats squandered more revenue than the tax cuts generated.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/trump-tax-cuts-federal-revenues-deficits/

image.png

Chart generated here:  https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/united-states/tax-revenue

Hopefully you know something about your own country though. 

Take that credit card and buy yourself a clue.  And some cream for that burn.

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Like 1