COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

49 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Some of our amazing NHS staff who have died from the virus. 

RIP

_111758713_nhs_staff-promo_976-nc.png

I truly hope that they got it outside work.,for what that's worth to their family and friends (sod all)😢 but at a population level .. it would be a terminal damning indictement of the mechanics of the NHS and how it responds to crisis ,either agilely or in a sclerotic fashion

After working in the NHS for 15 years I gave it up as a lost cause   20 odd years ago,I could never get anything done urgently if it were truly urgent  ..its individual participants are heros the management structure  is staid,stupid and asleep at the wheel ..i fear little has been learned...to little..too late

RIP to those lost

• Like 2

Its unpalatable but needs to be chewed slowly to aid understanding....Top down systems rarely work...and dont work quickly for sure

The concept of the NHS  is brilliant but it has to be responsive to what is happening at ground level...as far as I can see it isnt.Its behind the curve at every juncture

All the clapping in the world doesnt negate the gross failures of the system itself no matter the heroicism of front line workers ...and they have been truly heroic...bin bags unfortunately will not protect you nor will standard surgical masks entering the confined  room of a patient with cov 19..any movement of the bedclothes you then have aerosols of partially dried virus droplets..only an N95  mask,gown and gloves and visor (or goggles..it gets in through your eyes too  ) will suffice

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Top down systems rarely work...and dont work quickly for sure

The concept of the NHS  is brilliant vbut it has to be responsive to what is happening at ground level...as far as I can see it isnt

All the clapping in the world doesnt negate the gross failures of the system itself no matter the heroicism of front line workers ...and they have been truly heroic...bin bags unfortunately will not protect you nor will standard surgical masks entering the confined  room of a patient with cov 19..any movement of the bedclothes you then have aerosols of partially dried virus droplets..only an N95  mask,gown and gloves and visor (or goggles..it gets in through your eyes too  ) will suffice

People working in virus labs don't dress like this as a fashion statement.

image.png

I've kept out of this thread though I have followed along at times. These types of subjects usually devolve into pissing contests because someone doesn't care for another's opinion and the venom is let loose by exited fingers tapping rapidly on the keyboard.

And that has been the case here.

And to further cause massive pain across the board, regarding Thailand, is that about an hour ago, roughly 2 am, Easter Sunday morning, a good friend of mine, a Scottish bloke, living out near Lake Malapalangabetchabygollywow, informed me that from today forward for the next 3 weeks, there will be a complete ban of alcohol sales in order to fight this virus.

So now, it is beer that is looked upon with a leery eye at being a major culprit in people spreading this dreaded virus across the landscape. That bottle of Sangsom, according to the Thailand government authorities, has now become Enemy Number One, in the war against Corona.

You boys living over there, better save that last bottle of Chang in your fridge, or something a bit stronger in the cabinet,  for the first weekend of May. It will be the finest tasting beer or spirit that has ever passed through your parched lips.

And how much you want to bet that the virus will still be around?

• Like 1

Maybe we should also keep in mind that

Malaria kills 400,000 persons every year. But I guess as it is mainly in Africa nobody cares...

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/malaria

Influenza (flu) kills between 250,000 and 5000,000 people every year. In silence.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza#qna

Hearth diseases and stroke kill 15 million people every year. In silence.

Diabetes kills close to 2 million people every year. In silence.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

top-10-global-causes-of-deaths-2016.jpg

But we never stopped the world and went in mass hysteria mode for any of this ?  

Just saying....

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Malaria kills 400,000 persons every year. But I guess as it is mainly in Africa nobody cares...

Influenza (flu) kills between 250,000 and 5000,000 people every year. In silence.

https://www.medscape.com/answers/219557-3459/what-is-the-global-incidence-of-influenza#qna

Just saying....

Why should we keep in mind other things that kill humans?

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Just saying....

Another reason why this overwhelms the health service...it was  already  close to capacity before covid arrived...do the math

thanks for that TS !!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Why should we keep in mind other things that kill humans?

When you trip after your second glass of wine and break your osteoporotic hip after sitting in your beach chair  for N years ...there will not be an option for you as all the beds are full ...lie there and die ...not an edifying or attractive option in Indonesia

Best stay in your chair...day and night

Good luck mate truly hope you dont encounter that scenario

6 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

Another reason why this overwhelms the health service...it was  already  close to capacity before covid arrived...do the math

thanks for that TS !!

I dont think so. A majority dies at home for all the diseases on the list.

The C19 mediatisation on the other hand sure caused a lot of people, who in normal circumstances would have wait it out at home, to run to the hospitals emergency service "to check, in case of".

You'd have to wonder how many would have to actually die, how many health services would have to collapse before some might say, hmmmmm, maybe we should try a lockdown here to curtail this before we can find a vaccine.

Then again, I doubt any number of deaths by Covid or related others stuff due to health services collapsing would be enough for some, ever!

Thankfully we're all different, though ...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

The point is, why stop the whole world economy for 100 or 200k death when we dont do it for diseases that kill EVERY year larger numbers of people.

The point is that Covid 19 is a new killer, patently the world is still learning how to deal with it. Nobody (not even you) knows how many deaths there will be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I dont think so. A majority dies at home for all the diseases on the list.

The C19 mediatisation on the other hand sure caused a lot of people, who in normal circumstances would have wait it out at home, to run to the hospitals emergency service "to check, in case of".

if you cannot breathe....,because that is what happens .,.and feeling like you have the worst flu symptoms ever and cannot get out of bed ..literally... ,is that "in case of" 

Thousands are dying at home because they cannot get  to or or work a phone ..if you have delirium you cannot wipe your own ass never mind operate a phone

• Like 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8209347/UK-live-restrictions-coronavirus-vaccine-developed-say-officials.html?ito=facebook_share_article-top&fbclid=IwAR0rc_TZIAxnsGRAV26QpDY8pJLTPHc2ODS2LOUo72oE3jUyqEQJK4Y99RA

UK will have to live with some restrictions until coronavirus vaccine is developed, say officials, as new survey reveals that nine out of 10 Britons are observing 'stay home' advice after 980 daily death toll

• Normal life will stay on hold until a virus vaccine becomes available in about 18 months, officials have said
  • Advice to work from home and stay in for seven days if you have symptoms will probably be in place next year
  • Ministers want to lift the most restrictive parts of the lockdown, including school and shop closures, in weeks
  • Senior sources said only 'exit strategy' is a vaccine or a cure, meaning UK will adjust to 'new normal' until then 
  • Government experts said social distancing measures that have been placed upon the UK could be 'indefinite' 
  • New research reveals nine in 10 people have left their home no more than once a day, heeding lockdown rules
  • Also warnings regarding the economic impact on the virus and the amount of poverty it would create 
  • One professor said that a vaccine for the virus could be ready by September with an 80% chance of it working 

By ELEANOR HAYWARD and JOHN STEVENS and BEN SPENCER FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: | UPDATED: 

Normal life will stay on hold until a virus vaccine becomes available in about 18 months, officials said last night. 

Advice to work from home and stay in for seven days if you have symptoms will probably still be in place next year. 

Ministers want to lift the most restrictive parts of the lockdown, including school and shop closures, within weeks. 

But senior Government sources say the only true 'exit strategy' is a vaccine or a cure. Until then, the UK will have to adjust to a 'new normal'. 

An official last night told The Telegraph that social distancing measures that have been placed upon Britons could be 'indefinite'. 

Official plans to encourage social distancing on a long term, voluntary basis, have also been discussed, as the government continues to hold talks on how long Britons can cope with the current measures. Some measures, such as remote working, could be left in place for longer. 

Dominic Raab, standing in for the Prime Minister while he is sick, has said it is 'too early' to lift the full lockdown, which will be formally extended next Thursday for several weeks. 

Scientists expect the restrictions to be phased out gradually. They say some will stay in place until there is a vaccine - which they expect to take 18 months - to prevent infection levels soaring again. 

Health Secretary Matt Hancock last night admitted the economic impact of the lockdown will cause deaths. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I've kept out of this thread though I have followed along at times. These types of subjects usually devolve into pissing contests because someone doesn't care for another's opinion and the venom is let loose by exited fingers tapping rapidly on the keyboard.

And to further cause massive pain across the board, regarding Thailand, is that about an hour ago, roughly 2 am, Easter Sunday morning, a good friend of mine, a Scottish bloke, living out near Lake Malapalangabetchabygollywow, informed me that from today forward for the next 3 weeks, there will be a complete ban of alcohol sales in order to fight this virus.

So now, it is beer that is looked upon with a leery eye at being a major culprit in people spreading this dreaded virus across the landscape. That bottle of Sangsom, according to the Thailand government authorities, has now become Enemy Number One, in the war against Corona.

You boys living over there, better save that last bottle of Chang in your fridge, or something a bit stronger in the cabinet,  for the first weekend of May. It will be the finest tasting beer or spirit that has ever passed through your parched lips.

Possibly the ban on alcohol is to stop the needless dying of Thais around Songkran, maybe the ban will prevent covidiots getting in their cars and thinking the Covid virus doesn't affect them. It appears to be a temporary measure so may not be totally related to the Covid virus but also to really keep the hordes of Thais off the streets.

Just a thought.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Possibly the ban on alcohol is to stop the needless dying of Thais around Songkran, maybe the ban will prevent covidiots getting in their cars and thinking the Covid virus doesn't affect them. It appears to be a temporary measure so may not be totally related to the Covid virus but also to really keep the hordes of Thais off the streets.

Just a thought.

Brothers Somchai!!!.Budda  help Thailand 

9 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just a thought.

I think you are right Dave. Songkran is usually a bloodbath on the roads. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Just a thought.

Makes sense now....The madness would be kicking off tomorrow I think.

2 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Partially true.... it relates to Chonburi Province I know but not to all provinces. 

There has been some restrictions on the sale of alcohol in most provinces up to the 17th where no sales will occur.. In my Province... at the moment.... you can buy alcohol in the 11am-2pm window but cannot purchase it in he 5pm-10pm window.

In fact I was in Macro today and got a couple of cartoons but would not be surprised if it changes to no sales at all until the 17th. Most of these orders do vary as the order is coming from the different Province Governors.

cheers  

Edited by roobob

1 minute ago, roobob said:

Partially true.... it relates to Chonburi Province I know but not to all provinces. 

There has been some restrictions on the sale of alcohol in most provinces up to the 17th where no sales will occur.. In my Province... at the moment.... you can buy alcohol in the 11am-2pm window but cannot purchase it in he 5pm-10pm window.

In fact I was in Macro today and got a couple of cartoons but would not be surprised if it changes to no sales at all until the 17th. Most of these orders do vary as the order is coming from the different Province Governors.

cheers  

Barrow is reporting the ban is across all provinces. The lass in Buriram saying she can still buy beer but not whisky.

Screenshot_20200412_135723.jpg

On 4/12/2020 at 6:35 PM, Thai Spice said:

Just saying....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Barrow is reporting the ban is across all provinces. The lass in Buriram saying she can still buy beer but not whisky.

Screenshot_20200412_135723.jpg

Well Barrow is not entirely correct....oh and who is Barrow..... I was there today.... you could buy alcohol in the 11am-2pm window..... not the later window. 

As said ... this may change... but my local Macro was selling in those hours today. It seems to vary between the Provinces.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Like 1

And so it starts

senior medics stress NHS will not run out of drugs

Following our post at 08:47, Dr Alison Pittard, dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, said that the NHS was not going to run out of medicines to treat patients and that care will not be compromised.

She said that medics have been issued new guidance telling them to use alternatives which were "perfectly safe for patients".

Dr Pittard added: "We are not going to run out of drugs to treat patients, that's the bottom line.

"We may do things differently, but patient care won't be compromised because we have to change the choice of drug.

"I want to reassure the public - we know what we are doing, we are working together, we know what the situation is, and we are making sure they are our first priority."

Dr Pittard said: "There may be shortages of specific drugs but there are always alternatives in the same class that although staff will need to slightly modify their practice, they will be perfectly safe for patients."

substandard stuff ..not first choice,,,fucking scary