COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

WP1.jpg.c103e156e011d729b97fb632b02d328a.jpg

Tom Cotton: 'No question' Chinese officials pressured WHO to downplay coronavirus
World Health Organization denies China sought to delay global warning

By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sen. Tom Cotton, Arkansas Republican, said Sunday there was “no question” that Chinese officials pressured the World Health Organization to downplay the risks of the novel coronavirus after it originated in Wuhan.

His comments came after the German newspaper Der Spiegel reported Saturday that Chinese president Xi Jinping urged WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to delay a global warning on the disease in a Jan. 21 phone call, which the organization denied.

“I don’t know about all the specific details of those reports, but there’s no question that Xi Jinping and senior officials in the Chinese Communist Party were pressuring the WHO all the way back to December to undersell the risk of this virus,” said Mr. Cotton on Fox’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

“They knew in China early on, probably as early as the early days of December, and that this virus was both highly contagious in humans and very deadly for certain people. Yet they wanted to save face,” he said.

In a statement, WHO denied the “false allegations” in the Der Spiegel report, which, citing German intelligence, said the Chinese leader also asked Mr. Tedros to hold back information on human-to-human transmission.

“Reports of a 21 Jan phone call between @DrTedros & President Xi are unfounded & untrue,” said WHO in a tweet. “They didn’t speak on 21 Jan & have never spoken by [phone]. Such inaccurate reports distract & detract from WHO’s & the [world’s] efforts to end #COVID19.”

The organization has been accused by Republicans of exacerbating the crisis by covering up for the Chinese, which WHO officials have denied, and waiting until March 11 to declare a pandemic.

In a now-infamous Jan. 14 tweet, WHO said, “Preliminary investigations conducted by Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus.”

“In addition to saving face, they wanted once they realized this virus was going to cripple their own economy, that it did not remain limited to China,” Mr. Cotton said. “So the WHO has some real answers to provide to the world about why they bowed to Chinese pressure throughout December and January, and turned what could have been a local health emergency in Wuhan into a global pandemic.”

(LINK)

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

WP1.jpg.c103e156e011d729b97fb632b02d328a.jpg

Tom Cotton: 'No question' Chinese officials pressured WHO to downplay coronavirus
World Health Organization denies China sought to delay global warning

By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Sunday, May 10, 2020

Sen. Tom Cotton, Arkansas Republican, said Sunday there was “no question” that Chinese officials pressured the World Health Organization to downplay the risks of the novel coronavirus after it originated in Wuhan.

His comments came after the German newspaper Der Spiegel reported Saturday that Chinese president Xi Jinping urged WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to delay a global warning on the disease in a Jan. 21 phone call, which the organization denied.

“I don’t know about all the specific details of those reports, but there’s no question that Xi Jinping and senior officials in the Chinese Communist Party were pressuring the WHO all the way back to December to undersell the risk of this virus,” said Mr. Cotton on Fox’s “Sunday Morning Futures.”

“They knew in China early on, probably as early as the early days of December, and that this virus was both highly contagious in humans and very deadly for certain people. Yet they wanted to save face,” he said.

In a statement, WHO denied the “false allegations” in the Der Spiegel report, which, citing German intelligence, said the Chinese leader also asked Mr. Tedros to hold back information on human-to-human transmission.

“Reports of a 21 Jan phone call between @DrTedros & President Xi are unfounded & untrue,” said WHO in a tweet. “They didn’t speak on 21 Jan & have never spoken by [phone]. Such inaccurate reports distract & detract from WHO’s & the [world’s] efforts to end #COVID19.”

The organization has been accused by Republicans of exacerbating the crisis by covering up for the Chinese, which WHO officials have denied, and waiting until March 11 to declare a pandemic.

In a now-infamous Jan. 14 tweet, WHO said, “Preliminary investigations conducted by Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus.”

“In addition to saving face, they wanted once they realized this virus was going to cripple their own economy, that it did not remain limited to China,” Mr. Cotton said. “So the WHO has some real answers to provide to the world about why they bowed to Chinese pressure throughout December and January, and turned what could have been a local health emergency in Wuhan into a global pandemic.”

(LINK)

The WHO and the UN need to be binned, two useless organisations.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

A duck (a real one) could do a better job than Donald the Orange Duck or should that be Donald l'Orange.

Yea .. figures you would spit out his type of bullshit ... mister google cut and paste master !

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

The WHO and the UN need to be binned, two useless organisations.

Sadly, two organization created with noble intentions, but gone completely wrong over the years.  Both ridden with politics and internal fighting.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Sadly, two organization created with noble intentions, but gone completely wrong over the years.  Both ridden with politics and internal fighting.

Don’t forget a sprinkle of corruption also.

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The new way of air travel ?

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/soekarnohatta-airport-changes-rules-to-avoid-another-passenger-pileup

Angkasa Pura II President Director Muhammad Awaluddin said the new policy was designed to restructure the airport's queueing system, limit flight frequency and keep the number of passengers on each flight below 50 percent of its seat capacity.

The queue for passengers in Terminal 2 is now divided into four stages. The first checkpoint for checking travel documents is located at the entrance of the terminal.

The second checkpoint is located inside the terminal building where passengers fill in their health alert card (HAC) and get their temperature checked.

Next, there's a checkpoint to verify the health certificate. The passenger will also be subjected to a medical test by a health official. 

After that, the passenger can go to the check-in counter to get their boarding pass. 

Woaw, sounds great fun ! But hey, what shall we not do to "save lives" ....🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Better than not flying at all.

A lot of people moaned when airport security was heightened due to increase in terrorism and people have to remove shoes and belts and only small bottle of liquid in bags etc. The queues often long during peak times. 

It's frustrating waiting for anything these days but for me, if it increases safety then another hour isn't going to matter. I waste loads of time when on holiday sleeping in late anyway. 

It's going to be like this for a while and we will have to get used  to various scenarios with regards to all sorts of behaviour whether we like it or not and regardless of how daft it may seem. 

Personally, I think I will wait a while before taking a trip. 

Maybe things will have changed by Nov/Dec. Maybe not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

A lot of people moaned when airport security was heightened due to increase in terrorism and people have to remove shoes and belts and only small bottle of liquid in bags etc. The queues often long during peak times. 

9/11 has, and is still being used as the perfect excuse to impose anything and everything on the whole world, invade countries, and spy on everybody.

All this in the name of safety and national interest.

Hopefully we dont see a replay, medical version, of this !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

9/11 has, and is still being used as the perfect excuse to impose anything and everything on the whole world, invade countries, and spy on everybody.

All this in the name of safety and national interest.

Hopefully we dont see a replay, medical version, of this !

I got nothing to hide if they wanna spy on me at an airport 😊

What are the benefits of extra security apart from safety? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I got nothing to hide if they wanna spy on me at an airport 😊

What are the benefits of extra security apart from safety? 

My worry would be increased surveillance from the state. The images of the robot dog in Singapore and police drones are dystopian.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

My worry would be increased surveillance from the state. The images of the robot dog in Singapore and police drones are dystopian.

It's gonna happen anyway. No point in worrying. We are all being surveyed one way or another.  Databases are linked, security cameras on streets,on buses on trains, motorways, mobile phone data and location. The digital age changed everything 

What does piss me off is that with all the surveillance technology they have, and they fail to use it. Classic case is the recent Streatham terrorist attack. They had been watching the guy yet did nothing 

• Great Info 1

1 minute ago, Nightcrawler said:

It's gonna happen anyway. No point in worrying. We are all being surveyed one way or another.  Databases are linked, security cameras on streets,on buses on trains, motorways, mobile phone data and location. The digital age changed everything 

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be resisted. The state and big tech have already proven that they can't be trusted with our data, they know too much already, 1984 doesn't even come close.

The old mantra is always trotted out, 'well if you don't do anything wrong you have nothing to be worried about', doesn't cut it with me. I don't trust the fuckers one bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Covid security at airports I suggest will go on for a long time even if and when numbers eventually go down to what is considered safe levels. I reckon we will be stuck with a lot red tape and life will change a bit from what we were used to

Hopefully one day soon the pandemic will be behind us band we can get back to normal life. I reckon it's going to take a while though. Many will go without summer holidays this year for a start and many may have lost their jobs or are in financial difficulty. 

I put money away for rainy days like this and my funeral but I realise that not everyone has that luxury. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, lazarus said:

United States - 86,912 Dead from COVID-19 (official count as of 14 May).

RIP.

Data Sources: WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHC, DXY, JHU, RCP | Population: World Bank | Seasonal Flu 1: CDC/WHO 2017 Estimates

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/coronavirus/

1600 a day dying in the USA. We will blow past 100k by June 1. But it's all good. Wisconsin opening their bars. No masks, no distancing, shots flying like mad, crawling over each other to get a drink, sharing pool cues, shitting and pissing in the lavatory without washing hands. I hope these people are members of "the herd", cause the herd needs to be culled of these idiots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Slovenian govt has officially declared that the pandemic in Slovenia is over. Businesses are allowed to reopen and international travel is permitted.

Where they gonna travel to? Nobody wants them in their country. I'd like to go to Costa Rica, like yesterday. The borders are shut mate. How dare they stomp on my human liberties. 

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Covid security at airports I suggest will go on for a long time even if and when numbers eventually go down to what is considered safe levels. I reckon we will be stuck with a lot red tape and life will change a bit from what we were used to

Hopefully one day soon the pandemic will be behind us band we can get back to normal life. I reckon it's going to take a while though. Many will go without summer holidays this year for a start and many may have lost their jobs or are in financial difficulty. 

I put money away for rainy days like this and my funeral but I realise that not everyone has that luxury. 

Don't forget to buy a proper travel suit !  

Yes, you'll look a bit ridiculous but hey, safety first .....

9b9c2dd6-96aa-11ea-ae0d-0e69ba128e68_image_hires_034937.jpg

Must look even better queuing at the taxi stand in 35 C heat ! 

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Or you go to the airport and you fail the temperature check. Holiday lost, money lost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathmandu said:

Where they gonna travel to? Nobody wants them in their country. I'd like to go to Costa Rica, like yesterday. The borders are shut mate. How dare they stomp on my human liberties. 

Most live in London drug dealing.

1 hour ago, Kathmandu said:

1600 a day dying in the USA. We will blow past 100k by June 1. But it's all good. Wisconsin opening their bars. No masks, no distancing, shots flying like mad, crawling over each other to get a drink, sharing pool cues, shitting and pissing in the lavatory without washing hands. I hope these people are members of "the herd", cause the herd needs to be culled of these idiots.

Yeah we got that too...its called The House of Commons 

Better be careful where you violate quarantine rules.

Evil

coronasmaller.jpg

An American cargo pilot has become the first foreigner 
jailed in Singapore for breaking quarantine.

FedEx pilot Brian Dugan Yeargan, 44, of Alaska, has been sentenced to four weeks in jail for leaving his room for three hours during quarantine to buy masks and a thermometer. The pilot admitted to “poor judgment” in breaking his quarantine during his trial.

Currently, Singapore has 26,000 cases of the coronavirus making it one of the hardest-hit Asian countries. Over 90% of those infected with COVID-19 are foreign workers living in crowded dormitories.

(READ MORE)

AP.JPG

Hawaii is arresting tourists who break the state's 
mandatory 14-day quarantine to go to the beach

Rogue tourists arrested as Hawaii tries to curb virus spread

By JENNIFER SINCO KELLEHER
May 7, 2020

HONOLULU (AP) — Hawaii authorities are cracking down on rogue tourists who are visiting beaches, riding personal watercraft, shopping and generally flouting strict requirements that they quarantine for 14 days after arriving.

A newlywed California couple left their Waikiki hotel room repeatedly, despite being warned by hotel staff, and were arrested. Others have been arrested at a hotel pool, loading groceries into a vehicle outside a Costco and bringing take-out food back to a hotel room.

They’re among at least 20 people arrested statewide on charges of violating the quarantine, and many others have received warnings or citations. Anyone convicted of violating the emergency rule faces a fine of up to $5,000, a year in jail, or both. Officials have even considered having travelers wear an ankle bracelet during their quarantine period, or setting up a designated site where tourists would be required to stay at for the 14 days.

Hotels are being told to issue room keys that are only operable for checking in, so that when guests leave the room they have to go to the front desk to ask for a new one — a signal they have left their room in violation of the quarantine, said Mufi Hannemann, president and CEO of Hawaii Lodging and Tourism Association.

The rules, the strictest in any U.S. state, have helped keep infections relatively low. As of Wednesday, Hawaii reported 626 coronavirus cases and 17 deaths.

Yet the shutdown has devastated the islands’ economy, which is hugely dependent on tourism. Since March 26, when Hawaii put the rules in place, about 5,000 visitors have arrived, compared to pre-pandemic times when about 30,000 came daily.

That’s left the state with crushing unemployment, estimated to be in the range of 25% to 35%. Tourism industry officials say the hotel occupancy rate was down about 34% compared to March last year. More than 100 hotels have suspended operations and workers laid off from their jobs wait in long lines at food distribution sites.

(READ MORE)

4 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

in Australia we have had 98? deaths from Wuhan Virus,and we have closed businesses and put many out of work.and f**k the ecomony for many years with many businesses lost forever and forsure the sucides numbers will go up.

in a total of 7024 cases of the virus,30 new cases yesterday,2 in QLD,8 in NSW and 20 in Victoria,the state with the hardest lockdown rules,

11 in 2 new outbreaks at 2 Maccas and That meat processing facility which has 68 workers and 34 closecontacts get the virus, all in Victoria

I  ask why in 2019 we had 900 deaths from the flu and 2017 we had 3000 deaths from the flu and there was plenty of kids in that total.if we had those many deaths WHY was there NO lockdown?i understand that the WUHAN VIRUS, is a lot more contagious than the flu,but shit! why are we getting the goverments hard arse strong arm,

iam on the 4 day lockdown after I was tested at the local government checking station on thusday as directed by my doctor and a hour ago the troopers 1,2,3,turned up at my door,to check if I was obeying the 4 day rule,

they knocked and I did not open my door,told if they did not have mask and gloves on to FUCKOFF,they said they would "huff and puff and blow my door down" so I told them "you do and you will get a slap", so I looked out of the window and I shit! you not, they 1 male and 2 females all who could play up front for the " Pittsburg Steelers" so i opened the door,they checked my passport and said "ok that was easy was it not" I took the fifth as our USA brothers would say.

4 days and iam going bokers just as well I have the Internet and forums to let out my great knowledge of all things :default_acute:shit!! iam full of it to-day

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray