COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

May as well abolish Christmas altogether. Its going to be bleak and I suspect that many will ignore Tier 4 if they have already made plans and spent money organising Xmas. 

A few months ago I posted what I found hilarious, a Belgian minister proposing.to postpone Christmas till summer 2021. Sort of Belgian joke.

Now guess what ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/christmas-covid-postpone-easter-robert-jenrick-b334409.html?amp

Government minister today told families to consider postponing festive get-togethers, saying: "Easter can be the new Christmas.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/postpone-christmas-until-june-summer-solstice-says-dr-scally-39870688.html

Postpone Christmas until June summer solstice, says Dr Scally

FFS, the whole world is walking on it's head. Stupidity has become the new standard ......

Again, moving here was my best idea in the last 10 years ! All Europe has gone crazy.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Well, Beach Gal just called me and told me not to stop at Porto Chino on my way back South .. she told me there are 548 new cases of the China virus .... reported in Samut Sakhon

Saw that mall many times on my way back to Hua Hin but never did stop off, it is worth stopping there?

8 hours ago, Mrmango said:

As I remember, the death of the three during a test was lack of O2. The staff put pure nitrogen in the induced air of the cabin, rather than o2 for fire safety reasons.

They used O2 to drive nitrogen out of the cabin ahead of launch. I was wrong about the high pressure bit though.

Pure oxygen atmosphere

Apollo 1 crewmen enter their spacecraft in the altitude chamber at Kennedy Space Center, October 18, 1966.
The plugs-out test had been run to simulate the launch procedure, with the cabin pressurized with pure oxygen at the nominal launch level of 16.7 psi (115 kPa), 2 psi (14 kPa) above standard sea level atmospheric pressure. This is more than five times the 3 psi (21 kPa) partial pressure of oxygen in the atmosphere, and provides an environment in which materials not normally considered flammable will be highly flammable and burst into flame.[34][35]

The high-pressure oxygen atmosphere was similar to that which had been used successfully in the Mercury and Gemini programs. The pressure before launch was deliberately greater than ambient in order to drive out the nitrogen-containing air and replace it with pure oxygen, and also to seal the plug door hatch cover. During launch, the pressure would have been gradually reduced to the in-flight level of 5 psi (34 kPa), providing sufficient oxygen for the astronauts to breathe while reducing the fire risk. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1#Pure_oxygen_atmosphere

OK, a few stats for those who are able to read and interpret them.

FRANCE :

Total deaths since 01/03/20

Deces chart 201207.jpg

Data behind the chart, date 07/12/20

2020            2019         2018

Deces data 201207.jpg

Variation 2020 vs 2019 : + 25.898 (+ 16%)

Variation 2020 vs 2018 :  + 29.186  (+ 18,5%)

Those variations are definitively significative, no doubt.

Evolution of deaths by age 2020 vs 2019.  Self explanatory. Risk is not significative up to 49y,  very limited from 50 to 64, clearly much higher risk after that

Evol age deces 201207.jpg

U.K : (Data ONS)

Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

ONS 201204.jpg

Look at non Covid vs Covid death.....

Looking up the raw data behind is a bit a pain, can't be bothered to do it.

ONS 201204 Corona vs non corona deaths.jpg

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Saw that mall many times on my way back to Hua Hin but never did stop off, it is worth stopping there?

It used to be great before all of this China Virus shit ... it has a courtyard in the center and there were all kinds of vendors there ... a good wine store across the entrance to Foodland ...

The last time I was there ( a couple weeks ago ) most of the places were closed there .. except Foodland and a couple others ... the Foodland there has a sale on all of their cheese and humas on Mondays .. that is the reason I stop ..

But, lately it seems the Makro in Cha Am is starting to be my go to for cheese ....

I like the Makro in Cha Am ... very organized .. super clean ... and a pretty good selection of all types of meats, sausages, and good prices on cheese .. plus, they have these pizza dough things they sell there with a couple packages of red sauce stuffed in the package ... believe it or not the red sauce is pretty good ... good legs of lamb there and a shit load cheaper than Villa ... good prices on apples, peaches and pears ...

Lately, I would give Porto Chino a pass

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

It used to be great before all of this China Virus shit ... it has a courtyard in the center and there were all kinds of vendors there ... a good wine store across the entrance to Foodland ...

The last time I was there ( a couple weeks ago ) most of the places were closed there .. except Foodland and a couple others ... the Foodland there has a sale on all of their cheese and humas on Mondays .. that is the reason I stop ..

But, lately it seems the Makro in Cha Am is starting to be my go to for cheese ....

I like the Makro in Cha Am ... very organized .. super clean ... and a pretty good selection of all types of meats, sausages, and good prices on cheese .. plus, they have these pizza dough things they sell there with a couple packages of red sauce stuffed in the package ... believe it or not the red sauce is pretty good ... good legs of lamb there and a shit load cheaper than Villa ... good prices on apples, peaches and pears ...

Lately, I would give Porto Chino a pass

Cheers for the info. When I lived in Hua Hin I regularly used the same Makro, indeed was a good place to shop.

France will stop lorry movements from the UK for 48 hours in the wake of fresh concerns over the spread of a new strain of coronavirus in the UK.

The move means outbound traffic from Dover will stop.

Ministers and officials will discuss the move at the government's COBRA emergency committee on Monday.

Freight from France to the UK will be allowed, but there are fears lorry drivers will not travel to avoid being stuck in the UK.

The Port of Dover is closed to traffic leaving the UK "until further notice" due to border restrictions in France, port authorities said in a statement.

"Both accompanied freight and passenger customers are asked not to travel to the port," it said. "We understand that the restrictions will be in place for 48 hours from midnight."

Flight bans

"Tonight's suspension of accompanied freight traffic from the UK to France has the potential to cause serious disruption to UK Christmas fresh food supplies - and exports of UK food and drink," Food and Drink Federation (FDF) chief executive Ian Wright warned. 

"Continental truckers will not want to travel here if they have a real fear of getting marooned. 

"The Government must very urgently persuade the French government to exempt accompanied freight from its ban."

French transport minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbarisaid France was suspendingall traffic from the UK from midnight for at least 48 hours.

A number of countries have banned or are considering stopping flights from the UK following the emergence of a new variant of coronavirus.

Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium are all halting flights, and other nations are considering the move.

Trains to Belgium are also stopping. 

Eurotunnel is suspending access to its Folkestone terminal from 22:00 GMT for traffic and freight heading to Calais in France.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

France will stop lorry movements from the UK for 48 hours in the wake of fresh concerns over the spread of a new strain of coronavirus in the UK.

Ministers and officials will discuss the move at the government's COBRA emergency committee on Monday.

Freight from France to the UK will be allowed, but there are fears lorry drivers will not travel to avoid being stuck in the UK.

The Port of Dover is closed to traffic leaving the UK "until further notice" due to border restrictions in France, port authorities said in a statement.

"Both accompanied freight and passenger customers are asked not to travel to the port," it said. "We understand that the restrictions will be in place for 48 hours from midnight."

Flight bans

"Tonight's suspension of accompanied freight traffic from the UK to France has the potential to cause serious disruption to UK Christmas fresh food supplies - and exports of UK food and drink," Food and Drink Federation (FDF) chief executive Ian Wright warned. 

"Continental truckers will not want to travel here if they have a real fear of getting marooned. 

"The Government must very urgently persuade the French government to exempt accompanied freight from its ban."

French transport minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbarisaid France was suspendingall traffic from the UK from midnight for at least 48 hours.

A number of countries have banned or are considering stopping flights from the UK following the emergence of a new variant of coronavirus.

Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium are all halting flights, and other nations are considering the move.

Eurotunnel is suspending access to its Folkestone terminal from 22:00 GMT for traffic and freight heading to Calais in France.

Merry Christmas 😉

34 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Flight bans

Sad state of affairs, even if "la perfide Albion" is a bit our historical opponent, you sure don't deserve this.

The press and UK government should maybe have stayed a bit more low profile about this new version of C19 and not dramatazing it as they did, which left little choice to other governments but to react in order to "protect their population"

Again all a bit overdone in panic IMO.

What's next ? A Naval blocade ? Well, at least that would be Brexit sorted !