COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

10 minutes ago, roobob said:

So you are saying that the cement blocks were never put in place by the Police and the photo is actually photo shopped??

cheers

FForest ( third_karen ) posted the pic and stated that Switzerland is a dictatorship , that's what I disagree with 

I'll leave you to your trolling 

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The LGA has painted the blocks to make them look nicer.

image.png

Meanwhile. Where is roonob? Playing with his blocks I suppose.

Moot and mute might seem like similar words at first glance, but they are pronounced differently. Mute rhymes with cute, whereas moot rhymes with boot. Nevertheless, some people still mishear the phrase moot point as mute point. But don't let that confuse you. The correct phrase is moot point, not mute point.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, fygjam said:

The LGA has painted the blocks to make them look nicer.

image.png

Meanwhile. Where is roonob? Playing with his blocks I suppose.

Moot and mute might seem like similar words at first glance, but they are pronounced differently. Mute rhymes with cute, whereas moot rhymes with boot. Nevertheless, some people still mishear the phrase moot point as mute point. But don't let that confuse you. The correct phrase is moot point, not mute point.

I bet some one wrote a nasty message to the government on those blocks....99% chance the paint is to cover up the message.....Now they just need to change to white paint for a new nasty message...

10 hours ago, Stillearly said:

FForest ( third_karen ) posted the pic and stated that Switzerland is a dictatorship , that's what I disagree with 

I'll leave you to your trolling 

cheers 

Well if the authorities ordered the police to put the blocks there to stop an owner from opening his business then fforest called it correctly. 

cheers

34 minutes ago, roobob said:

Well if the authorities ordered the police to put the blocks there to stop an owner from opening his business then fforest called it correctly. 

cheers

And if the business owner, who was ordered to close his business for 2 weeks for breaking the law, defied the order and continued to open?

Or do you support the notion that you only have to obey the laws you agree with?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fygjam said:

And if the business owner, who was ordered to close his business for 2 weeks for breaking the law, defied the order and continued to open?

Or do you support the notion that you only have to obey the laws you agree with?

Again with the "if". We are talking about fforest's statement on what he said about the blocks being placed in front of the business.... and it seems he called it correctly.

cheers

16 hours ago, fforest said:

Switzerland is a Dictatorship now. Police blocked Restaurant in Zermatt because the owners refused to exclude unvaccinated guests.

25 minutes ago, roobob said:

Again with the "if". We are talking about fforest's statement on what he said about the blocks being placed in front of the business.... and it seems he called it correctly.

cheers

Ah, no, fforest did not mention the blocks in his original post. Edit: actually he did in regards to the police blocking the entrance. It was his reference to Switzerland as a dictatorship, which is incorrect as enforcement of a law is not the definition of a dictatorship.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Ah, no, fforest did not mention the blocks in his original post. Edit: actually he did in regards to the police blocking the entrance. It was his reference to Switzerland as a dictatorship, which is incorrect as enforcement of a law is not the definition of a dictatorship.

Well not entirely true....for Govts to change/introduce  a law/laws to purposely be able to discriminate/control against some of their population is dictatorship.... like it or not.

cheers

Edited by roobob

3 hours ago, roobob said:

Well not entirely true....for Govts to change/introduce  a law/laws to purposely be able to discriminate/control against some of their population is dictatorship.... like it or not.

By that definition, any government not allowing people to drive unless they had passed a test is a dictatorship. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, roobob said:

cheers

Bravo.

Where do we send the statue in your honour?

kafka-museum.jpg

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, roobob said:

cheers

That's quite an incorrect definition of a dictatorship in the Political term or classification. Switzerland is clearly not a dictatorship by virtue of the fact it is a semi direct democratic federal republic. Dictatorships have one direct ruler and one political party. The way they pass and ratify their laws is somewhat different to that of a dictatorship.

The Swiss police are not discriminating here, they are applying the law which states customers need to be checked, one of the criteria for opening and running a restaurant there. The owners had a choice in whether to open and follow the law or remain closed or operate a take away service.

The story is true btw,

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-police-arrest-restaurant-owners-who-refused-to-check-covid-certificates/47072366

One could argue that in the UK for example, changing the law as has recently been done to stop protestors (or rather make a type of protect a criminal offence) demonstrating against climate change by blocking roads and infrastructure is discriminatory as it removes their right to protest in such a manner. It is not, it is a law passed in the public interest and in the interest of safety. Laws are voted on and then go through a process of approval, hardly the sign of a dictatorship.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, andyajn said:

Is it only me who now thinks this thread is pointless?

If it keeps other threads from drifting into Covid discussions then I'm all for it, plus it gives the Mods an easy place to dump such discussions from elsewhere if they go astray.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

That's quite an incorrect definition of a dictatorship in the Political term or classification. Switzerland is clearly not a dictatorship by virtue of the fact it is a semi direct democratic federal republic. Dictatorships have one direct ruler and one political party. The way they pass and ratify their laws is somewhat different to that of a dictatorship.

The Swiss police are not discriminating here, they are applying the law which states customers need to be checked, one of the criteria for opening and running a restaurant there. The owners had a choice in whether to open and follow the law or remain closed or operate a take away service.

The story is true btw,

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss-police-arrest-restaurant-owners-who-refused-to-check-covid-certificates/47072366

One could argue that in the UK for example, changing the law as has recently been done to stop protestors (or rather make a type of protect a criminal offence) demonstrating against climate change by blocking roads and infrastructure is discriminatory as it removes their right to protest in such a manner. It is not, it is a law passed in the public interest and in the interest of safety. Laws are voted on and then go through a process of approval, hardly the sign of a dictatorship.

Good post and spot on IMO

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andyajn said:

Is it only me who now thinks this thread is pointless?

For a pointless topic it's made 469 pages, so I guess some members must be interested and Considering that Covid 19 has affected all of our lives in one way or another, then it is very topical. But we all have a choice as whether we are interested in either reading it or posting on the subject. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fforest said:

As long as wearing the stupid mask is a thing

Or people are being forced to be vaxed or not have a life or a job..

This thread is needed

Except, no one is forced to be vaccinated. No one is forced to wear a mask except in some designated areas, like hospitals, doctors surgeries and  public transport etc, and even then, no one is arrested for not doing so, but may not be admitted for non compliance. Up to you if you don't want wear a mask or get vaccinated. Just don't expect that you will be allowed in certain settings and you in some circumstances be regarded as a "social leper" 😁

If you don't like it, tough, we are all in the same boat and if people chose to be vaccinated or wear a mask when in close contact with others, then that is also their choice, not yours. 

If I chose the above, I am not harming you or anyone else by my choice. 

Your choice to live in a country that has an unelected government or as some may regard it as a Military dictatorship 😊. You have that choice as well

You may have a choice whether to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, but you should expect the likelihood of being stopped and fined for not doing so because its for your own safety. It's the law, like it or not. 

• Like 2

I was with my eldest nephew and his girlfriend yesterday. Both are junior Doctors on acute medicine wards, on the covid front line as it were.

He told me about a covid denier who was a patient.

The guy told his family he had lung cancer. It was up to my nephew to explain to the guy's family a couple of days before he passed away that in fact it was covid. 

Tragic story. I asked them both how they deal with the whole covid conspiracy thing and they said when people can't handle the truth because they are basically scared by it, they will make up or simply believe anything in attempts to deny or protect themselves from what they are so scared about.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Tragic story. I asked them both how they deal with the whole covid conspiracy thing and they said when people can't handle the truth because they are basically scared by it, they will make up or simply believe anything in attempts to deny or protect themselves from what they are so scared about.

So true, sadly