COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

17 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I also have missed the live shows and am eager to check out some classic rock acts who's tours were put off during the pandemic, especially the Doobie Bros, who were going to celebrate their 50th year as a band with a tour.

Everything I've heard on upcoming shows featuring big name acts in the Sacramento area are basically for the fall. The earliest show I've heard was for a Harvey's Outdoor Amphitheater in South Lake Tahoe for Roger Daltrey in late August I believe.

Whatever, I'm just glad to know that bookings will soon be at hand and promoters will be competing for venues as music acts, both old and new, will want to get back out on the road to earn some cash.

Will be in Tahoe at The Hard Rock with Rachanee July 11th-17th for a week...wish there were shows at Harveys, but none as of yet when we will be there. Saw Don Henley at Harveys a few years back, nice venue. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I also have missed the live shows and am eager to check out some classic rock acts who's tours were put off during the pandemic, especially the Doobie Bros, who were going to celebrate their 50th year as a band with a tour.

Everything I've heard on upcoming shows featuring big name acts in the Sacramento area are basically for the fall. The earliest show I've heard was for a Harvey's Outdoor Amphitheater in South Lake Tahoe for Roger Daltrey in late August I believe.

Whatever, I'm just glad to know that bookings will soon be at hand and promoters will be competing for venues as music acts, both old and new, will want to get back out on the road to earn some cash.

I have really missed the live gigs also. Had a few rescheduled or cancelled altogether. Geoff Tate is hopefully in August after 2 previous postponements, Saxons 40th anniversary tour is now January so is about 18 months late with 2 previous cancellations and so on. 

Bands must have lost a fortune as their main income these days is from touring and merchandise sales, people don't buy music the way they used to, young people think it should be free. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

Will be in Tahoe at The Hard Rock with Rachanee July 11th-17th for a week...wish there were shows at Harveys, but none as of yet when we will be there. Saw Don Henley at Harveys a few years back, nice venue. 

I get back from the Dominican Republic on June 10th. Since you guys will be up at Tahoe all week, maybe I could make a drive up midweek, grab a room at a motel near Stateline, and meet you for a few beers.

Shouldn't be a problem finding a place to stay on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and traffic up and back Highway 50 won't be a problem.

I haven't been up in Lake Tahoe for at least 5-6 years, but having a chance at meeting a true legend of the board would be a perfect excuse to drive up! 😄

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KWA said:

Another trial showing that mixing jab types for the first and second doses gives excellent results.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

Oh, you mean they actually based their findings on a controlled clinical trial instead of some WAG.

Also

Xing says the antibody response to the Pfizer boost seems to be even stronger than the one most
people generate after receiving two doses of the Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine, according to earlier trial
data. But it is not clear how those responses compare with those seen in people who receive two doses
of mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer–BioNTech’s, which tend to trigger an especially potent antibody
response after a second dose.

So Astra-Pfizer is better than Astra-Astra but they didn't compare it to Pfizer-Pfizer.

And

Giving people first and second doses of different vaccines probably makes sense, says Altmann. But
he wonders what will happen if people need a third dose to prolong immunity or protect against
emerging coronavirus variants. Repeated doses of virus-based vaccines such as the Oxford–
AstraZeneca one tend to be increasingly less effective
, because the immune system mounts a response
against the adenovirus.

Watching Cummings give evidence about the UK Government's response to Covid is enthralling. 

Sure hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's only one side from a disgruntled former employee. Added in, anything coming from Cummings and this Government in general, hard to put much stock in what is true or not, you kinda have to think, does that sound probable?

Thing is, what he's saying does sound probable, certainly not implausible. 

It's clear from what's coming out, and not just today or from Cummings, we needed to lockdown sooner and harder. 

It's also very clear, that Boris was loath to do so, and only did so when he finally realised if not the NHS would crash, death toll massive, civil unrest. And as i've said before anyone who thinks Boris did it for any other reason is a fucking mental case with no grasp of reality!

The funny thing is, i'm just amazed that anyone thought Cummings wouldn't do exactly as he is today.

Even funnier when he said earlier it was crazy someone like him had the power he had, and even more crackers that the choice in the UK last year was between Boris or Corbyn :lol:  That part's definitely so fucking true!

• Thumbs Up 3

This doctor's been giving good advice all through the pandemic...

No, you probably won't need a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot, says UCSF's Monica Gandhi
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/No-you-probably-won-t-need-a-COVID-vaccine-16200250.php

Pharmaceutical company executives have been hinting for months that booster shots will be necessary to maintain the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines. A study of such boosters is already underway. But the companies that stand to profit from these shots shouldn’t get to unilaterally determine the need for a repeat mass vaccination campaign without scientific questioning. Moreover, focus groups among the vaccine-hesitant have shown that talk of boosters can decrease the likelihood of people getting a vaccine now.

Bodies of scientific research indicate that your immune system should offer you long-lived protection from reinfection if you’ve been vaccinated, even with the emergence of more infectious variants.

I’m going to take you through that science so you don’t have to worry. And so that you can help doctors like me advocate for industry and public officials to devote their efforts to more important pursuits, like making sure other countries have enough vaccines to end this pandemic...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Watching Cummings give evidence about the UK Government's response to Covid is enthralling. 

Sure hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's only one side from a disgruntled former employee. Added in, anything coming from Cummings and this Government in general, hard to put much stock in what is true or not, you kinda have to think, does that sound probable?

Hmmm...

Smells like politics to me... :default_fishing:

lol.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:43 AM, fygjam said:

Oh, you mean they actually based their findings on a controlled clinical trial instead of some WAG.

The initial decision to allow mixed jabs was not based on trials but based on the knowledge of guys who knew about the subect matter from years of study and experience and not from Google.  They tempered that permission by limiting when vaccine types could be mixed, but have again proved to be better than their committee bound and CYA at all costs colleagues.

30 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Thing is, what he's saying does sound probable, certainly not implausible. 

It's clear from what's coming out, and not just today or from Cummings, we needed to lockdown sooner and harder. 

It's also very clear, that Boris was loath to do so, and only did so when he finally realised if not the NHS would crash, death toll massive, civil unrest. And as i've said before anyone who thinks Boris did it for any other reason is a fucking mental case with no grasp of reality!

The funny thing is, i'm just amazed that anyone thought Cummings wouldn't do exactly as he is today.

Even funnier when he said earlier it was crazy someone like him had the power he had, and even more crackers that the choice in the UK last year was between Boris or Corbyn :lol:  That part's definitely so fucking true!

What amazes me is that the MSM wouldn't believe a word of what Cummings said before but are now lapping up every word.

• Like 2

Men of this ilk always eat their own.

‘Lions Led by Donkeys’: Cummings Unloads on Johnson Government
In parliamentary testimony, the former top aide accused the British prime minister of incompetence that caused tens of thousands of extra Covid deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/world/europe/cummings-johnson-covid.html

LONDON — He suggested that a doctor inject him with the coronavirus live on television to play down the dangers to a nervous public. He modeled himself after the small-town mayor in the movie “Jaws,” who ignored warnings to close the beaches even though there was a marauding shark offshore. As the pandemic closed in on Britain, he was distracted by an unflattering story about his fiancée and her dog.

That was the portrait of Prime Minister Boris Johnson painted by his disaffected former chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, in parliamentary testimony on Wednesday. While Mr. Johnson flatly rejected several of the assertions in his own appearance in Parliament on Wednesday, they nevertheless landed with a thud in a country still struggling to understand how the early days of the pandemic were botched so badly.

“When the public needed us most, the government failed,” said Mr. Cummings, the political strategist who masterminded Britain’s campaign to leave the European Union and engineered Mr. Johnson’s rise to power before falling out bitterly with his boss and emerging as a self-styled whistle-blower.

In more than seven hours of testimony that veered from the clinically technical to the ripely personal, Mr. Cummings described a government paralyzed by chaos, confusion and incompetence, which he said crippled Britain’s handling of the pandemic and contributed to tens of thousands of needless deaths...

Edited by lazarus

There are some very promising signs in the latest data from Public Health England.

Firstly, two doses of the vaccine are really effective.

Analysis of 5,600 cases of the Indian variant shows 60% were unvaccinated. Just 3% of them were fully vaccinated.

Of the 43 people who needed hospital admission, 67% were unvaccinated, just 2% had received both doses.

And finally, eight of the 12 people who died were unvaccinated.

All the more reason to get the jab.

From Sky News today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

And finally, eight of the 12 people who died were unvaccinated.

That suggests that 4 out of the 12 people who died were vaccinated - which surprises me a little. I wonder if they had had BOTH doses.

4 hours ago, Bazle said:

That suggests that 4 out of the 12 people who died were vaccinated - which surprises me a little. I wonder if they had had BOTH doses.

I suspect not. Assuming those that died were admitted to hospital, 2% of 43 is 0.86 of a person.

4 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Of the 43 people who needed hospital admission, 67% were unvaccinated, just 2% had received both doses.

If 1 person admitted to hospital was fully vaccinated and 29 people (67%) were unvaccinated that means 13 people admitted to hospital had received one shot and were caught up in the "wait 12 weeks for the next shot". And 4 of them died.

Gold medal for shifting the goal posts (aka a Cluster fcuk)

Load the link then scroll down at your own speed keeping an eye of the chart of the right hand side of your screen while briefly looking at the "announcements" on the left hand side -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-28/untangling-australia-s-covid-vaccine-rollout-timetable/100156720?

… Every time the article quotes a government official cites a target, the parameters shift.