COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

9 hours ago, coxyhog said:

BREAKING NEWS: News reporters around the world are shitting bricks as the new Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Covid variant has been identified in Wales.😂

Or, under the new WHO naming convention using the Greek alphabet

pi, π

Edited by fygjam

22 hours ago, fygjam said:

Or, under the new WHO naming convention using the Greek alphabet

pi, π

I know we have Delta variant for B.1.617 - India, haven't heard of Epsilon being taken yet. Long way to go for Pi.

2 hours ago, bob lt said:

I know we have Delta variant for B.1.617 - India, haven't heard of Epsilon being taken yet. Long way to go for Pi.

With countries getting their undies in a twist over having variants of the China virus named after them, wonder how Delta Air Lines feels about the new naming convention. Same for all the fraternities and sororities.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

With countries getting their undies in a twist over having variants of the China virus named after them, wonder how Delta Air Lines feels about the new naming convention. Same for all the fraternities and sororities.

And I wonder what it would mean to be referred to as an Alpha Male! 

Just when you thought it was safe to take off the mask...

Chinese researchers find 24 new coronaviruses in bats

Chinese researchers have found a series of new coronaviruses in bats, including one that’s the second-closest genetically to Covid-19.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/chinese-researchers-find-24-new-coronaviruses-in-bats/news-story/dbd9049d13740a1ff4f660b059a4bea5

• Surprised 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:18 PM, Krapow said:

UK 'Freedom day' a certainty to get put back, at least in the form it was meant to happen.

I'd actually put it back to end of July when by then every adult will have been offered a jab. Then those fuckwits that didn't, can take their chances. Why should the rest of us suffer due to those fucking idiots. 

Being reported it's gonna be put back 4 weeks until July 19th.

Makes sense TBH.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

Being reported it's gonna be put back 4 weeks until July 19th.

Makes sense TBH.

35 minutes ago, fforest said:

Will it make sense for another delay after this one?

The announcing of hard dates is a problem because if they are changed it just gives the deniers ammunition to back up their whining.

In Western Australia easing of the lockdown was based on publicly announced conditions.

For example in the early days it was 28 days with no community transmission. Later on as contact tracing improved and the number of cases dropped that was reduced to 14 days and then 7.

When the conditions were met the restrictions were eased or lifted as announced. (And they were banged back on again if conditions changed).

Looks like that these people in Authority are loving the power trip they are on with the power they have now and want to keep even to the detriment of the common population...... they are only there for themselves...no one else.

I am sure they will continue to spruik their rhetoric so they can keep their power.

cheers  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, roobob said:

Looks like that these people in Authority are loving the power trip they are on with the power they have now and want to keep even to the detriment of the common population...... they are only there for themselves...no one else.

I am sure they will continue to spruik their rhetoric so they can keep their power.

cheers  

Covid or no Covid the people in power are still the people in power....

• Thumbs Up 2

merlin_188874540_17c2c8b0-7f17-4d14-a6c6

Commuters this month in New Delhi, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic. Leaders at the Group of 7 summit hope to blunt the impact of future outbreaks with additional resources.Credit...Atul Loke for The New York Times

Last year, President Donald J. Trump angrily rejected global cooperation on health, pulling the United States out of the World Health Organization and asserting an “America First” approach to the pandemic and other global health concerns.

Not anymore.

At the G-7 summit on Saturday, President Biden pushed for a more unified approach to combating the pandemic, and urged his counterparts to embrace cooperation aimed at building up the world’s health care infrastructure so it will be able to respond more quickly to future emergencies.

One of Mr. Biden’s first actions as president was to rejoin the W.H.O. After more than a year of coronavirus-induced human hardship and economic woes, the leaders gathered at the Group of 7 summit are expected to sign a declaration on global health intended to ensure that the pandemic’s toll is never repeated.

The Carbis Bay declaration, named for the location of the summit, is described by the organizers as a “historic statement setting out a series of concrete commitments to prevent any repeat of the human and economic devastation wreaked by coronavirus.”

It will be one of a series of actions taken during the G7 in response to the pandemic, which has dominated the summit’s agenda much in the way it has loomed over most major events of the last year. As part of their declaration, the seven nations will not only confront the current crisis with one billion doses of vaccine for less developed nations, but they will pledge to take steps to decrease the chances of a future global health crisis.

Those include cutting the time it takes to approve vaccines to under 100 days, a period that is considered critical for containing the spread of a virus, and reinforcing the world’s ability to track and sequence diseases. In addition, Britain will create the Vaccine Manufacturing and Innovation Center to accelerate the creation of vaccines for diseases that are transferred from livestock to humans.

“We need to make sure that we learn the lessons from the pandemic,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told reporters on Saturday. “We need to make sure that we don’t repeat some of the errors that we doubtless made over the course over the last 18 months or so.”

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the W.H.O.’s director general, said his organization will welcome the move.

“Together we need to build on the significant scientific and collaborative response to the Covid-19 pandemic and find common solutions to address many of the gaps identified,” he said in a statement, noting that the world needed a stronger global surveillance system to more quickly detect the risks of pandemic

20 hours ago, fforest said:

Will it make sense for another delay after this one?

If some of them lefty scientists had their way, we would have the current restrictions till next year, as they want the mythical Zero Covid.  Well, mythical in the country such as the UK. If Corbyn was in power, we'd already be a proper communist state controlled UK.

Boris just needs to hold his nerve, the vaccines are shown to be doing their job, and the balance of the damage of continued restrictions on people's health, economy, waiting lists for other health issues etc, compared to Covid in somewhere where the vulnerable have been vaccinated, has to worse now. 

I can see the logic in putting it back to every adult has been offered a vaccine, which is end of July. But after that, no, doesn't make sense to me, considering the damage of continued restrictions after that. 

On 6/9/2021 at 4:48 AM, lazarus said:

Always good to do a quick fact check and simple analysis before one wagers about demographics.

"...majority of those 44% vaccinated are white?" 

You would lose that bet.

No surprise there. 🤣

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Krapow said:

If some of them lefty scientists had their way, we would have the current restrictions till next year, as they want the mythical Zero Covid.  Well, mythical in the country such as the UK. If Corbyn was in power, we'd already be a proper communist state controlled UK.

Boris just needs to hold his nerve, the vaccines are shown to be doing their job, and the balance of the damage of continued restrictions on people's health, economy, waiting lists for other health issues etc, compared to Covid in somewhere where the vulnerable have been vaccinated, has to worse now. 

I can see the logic in putting it back to every adult has been offered a vaccine, which is end of July. But after that, no, doesn't make sense to me, considering the damage of continued restrictions after that. 

The government can only do so much, and the vaccine program is clearly working. But the spread or containment of the virus still hangs on the level of Social Responsibility. 

The virus does not creep into people's bedrooms or find it's way through letter boxes. 

Some people still seem to have the attitude that with the easing of lock down and national restrictions, that somehow, they no longer need to be on their guard both in terms of their own vulnerability and the vulnerability of others. 

In my view, despite the success of the vaccine roll out, we must not rule out the mutations of a virus which is now under attack. C19 is not just going to roll over and die. 

If we have to wait another month, then it's worth it. What is another 4 weeks compared to the last 18 months? 

We ALL desperately want to go back to normality and businesses far more so. But nobody wants to see another lock down in Winter. 

We are almost there, it would be a pity blow all of the positives that have been achieved thus far. 

Regardless of whether the UK Govt delays  Stage 4 for another month or whatever, it is not over until most of the World is vaccinated to the extent that mortality and hospital admissions are at an acceptable level. 

No magic bullet yet. No scientists, regardless of political persuasion can predict the future of the Pandemic, in terms of a time frame, at least. It appears to be a constant learning process. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Unfortunately, at this stage,there is no "like for like" globally. As some countries are opening up, others are going back into lockdown. As some countries are experiencing fewer cases, others are seeing massive increases. Good for Denmark, I hope they are out of the woods

55 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

The government can only do so much, and the vaccine program is clearly working. But the spread or containment of the virus still hangs on the level of Social Responsibility. 

The virus does not creep into people's bedrooms or find it's way through letter boxes. 

Some people still seem to have the attitude that with the easing of lock down and national restrictions, that somehow, they no longer need to be on their guard both in terms of their own vulnerability and the vulnerability of others. 

In my view, despite the success of the vaccine roll out, we must not rule out the mutations of a virus which is now under attack. C19 is not just going to roll over and die. 

If we have to wait another month, then it's worth it. What is another 4 weeks compared to the last 18 months? 

We ALL desperately want to go back to normality and businesses far more so. But nobody wants to see another lock down in Winter. 

We are almost there, it would be a pity blow all of the positives that have been achieved thus far. 

Regardless of whether the UK Govt delays  Stage 4 for another month or whatever, it is not over until most of the World is vaccinated to the extent that mortality and hospital admissions are at an acceptable level. 

No magic bullet yet. No scientists, regardless of political persuasion can predict the future of the Pandemic, in terms of a time frame, at least. It appears to be a constant learning process. 

I've said for a while i don't think the UK will go back into a full national lockdown, and i still think this. Vaccines have changed things. We have to learn to live with this, and we will, the end is in sight. 

If it takes the current restrictions for a while longer, which is gonna happen, then that's what it takes. 

Economy is growing again as it is, nearly everything's open again, bar the likes of nightclubs etc.

I've heard the buzz words 'Cautious but irreversible' quite a few times this weekend re the roadmap for opening up, i reckon we'll hear it again tomorrow as well.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Time to get the jaws polished.

Here it is goodbye to face masks (and visors). From today face masks are no longer required unless you are in an airport, on an airplane or are a standing passenger on public transport.

Is it OK to visit a prostitute without wearing mask? 

Asking for a friend