COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

But for all you guys wondering why Thailand is not giving out free doughnuts to the vaxxed.......Well your wait is over....It's not doughnuts but free chicken......

Texas Chicken are the latest to join the campaign to encourage Thai people to get vaccinated by offering free chicken worth 35 baht if people show proof that they were vaccinated.....

Edited by fforest

This would go over well in Thailand...

Ohio Vax-a-Million: How to enter vaccine lottery

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/ohio-vaccine-lottery/ohio-vaccine-lottery-opens-for-5-chances-to-win-1-million/

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WJW) – Tens of thousands of people have already entered the Ohio vaccine lottery, the Ohio Lottery told FOX 8 News.

The state website to enter for a chance to win $1 million or a full-ride scholarship opened at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The Ohio Lottery told us due to a high volume of calls this morning, some may not have gotten through right away. They are asking for patience.

Ohio residents 18 and up who register are entered for all five drawings for the $1 million prize.

Ohio residents 12 to 17 who register are entered win a full-ride scholarship to any state school of their choice, including room and board and books...

... The money will be paid out in a lump sum. The winners are responsible for all taxes.

State health officials said Monday that more than 25,400 coronavirus vaccine shots were administered Friday, two days after the program was announced, making it the highest vaccination day in three weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lazarus said:

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/ohio-vaccine-lottery/ohio-vaccine-lottery-opens-for-5-chances-to-win-1-million/

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WJW) – Tens of thousands of people have already entered the Ohio vaccine lottery, the Ohio Lottery told FOX 8 News.

The state website to enter for a chance to win $1 million or a full-ride scholarship opened at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.

The Ohio Lottery told us due to a high volume of calls this morning, some may not have gotten through right away. They are asking for patience.

Ohio residents 18 and up who register are entered for all five drawings for the $1 million prize.

Ohio residents 12 to 17 who register are entered win a full-ride scholarship to any state school of their choice, including room and board and books...

... The money will be paid out in a lump sum. The winners are responsible for all taxes.

State health officials said Monday that more than 25,400 coronavirus vaccine shots were administered Friday, two days after the program was announced, making it the highest vaccination day in three weeks.

It'll be a blood bath in Ohio (according to some).

24 minutes ago, lazarus said:

One thing I have noticed about the FREE offers is as time goes by the FREE offers keep getting better and better for the holdout unvaxxed.....

On one end you had a group of people who were fighting to be first in line, with no free-bees needed...On the other end are people who will not be enticed by any free-bees EVER....With a large group in the middle who find the free-bees irresistible... 

Meanwhile...

Opinion: I'm a doctor treating anti-vaxxers in California while my family is dying in India

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Opinion-I-m-a-doctor-treating-anti-vaxxers-in-16189326.php

... As a doctor who has been on my clinic’s COVID team since the beginning of the pandemic, the images of my (Covid departed) cousin are seared inside of me. And I feel a deep, cleaving dissonance when patients here in America don’t want the COVID-19 vaccine.

I recently had a taut 20-minute conversation with a patient about the vaccine — a man who fit the demographic of those most resistant to receiving it.

His survival of the fittest ethos revealed his political bent.

We both deliberately picked and chose our words respectfully, tied together in a two-step tango between an anti-vaxxer and his doctor during a pandemic.

He was an intelligent, fiercely independent man. Our conversation ranged from his belief that his O positive blood type was protective, to his disdain of government telling him what to do, to his fear of vaccine passports, to his conviction that those afraid should stay home...

... The U.S. is marching toward 50% of our population being fully vaccinated, hoping for 70% by the summer. The next period is crucial. Broadening our reach to include vaccine-reluctant patients like mine will be the linchpin in stopping the forward roll of the virus.

What will it take to end COVID-19’s deadly reign? Will it be free Shake Shack french fries? Krispy Kreme donuts? The lure of a pre-rolled joint from a local dispensary? A chance to win a million dollars?

In spite of such incentives, vaccines are piling up as open appointments go unfilled.

As a doctor, it is hard knowing people are not protecting themselves. But this is perhaps inevitable when misinformation, faulty public health messaging and a dysfunctional government intersect...

... When I counsel patients, I try to make explicit the connection that their choice to get vaccinated is invariably tied to the health of their neighborhood, their community, their country. In the same vein, countries must step up for their neighbors, their continent, their world. Every corner of the globe must understand the shared responsibility that undergirds our mutual destiny.

The longer we wait, the more we continue to give this virus the opportunity to find new and novel ways to attack us, and everyone’s health is compromised. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it is that together we fall.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fforest said:

One thing I have noticed about the FREE offers is as time goes by the FREE offers keep getting better and better for the holdout unvaxxed.....

On one end you had a group of people who were fighting to be first in line, with no free-bees needed...On the other end are people who will not be enticed by any free-bees EVER....With a large group in the middle who find the free-bees irresistible... 

I think the best incentive would be to line up all antivaxers against the wall and shoot them if they refuse vaccination. Cruel but fair. Then they will not be able to impose themselves on others. Just add them to the lists of those who have died as a result of Covid. 😜

4 minutes ago, fforest said:

Are you waiting for 1 million FREE french fries? 🥴

S113640941-300-1567575637.jpg

56 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Meanwhile...

Opinion: I'm a doctor treating anti-vaxxers in California while my family is dying in India

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Opinion-I-m-a-doctor-treating-anti-vaxxers-in-16189326.php

... As a doctor who has been on my clinic’s COVID team since the beginning of the pandemic, the images of my (Covid departed) cousin are seared inside of me. And I feel a deep, cleaving dissonance when patients here in America don’t want the COVID-19 vaccine.

I recently had a taut 20-minute conversation with a patient about the vaccine — a man who fit the demographic of those most resistant to receiving it.

His survival of the fittest ethos revealed his political bent.

We both deliberately picked and chose our words respectfully, tied together in a two-step tango between an anti-vaxxer and his doctor during a pandemic.

He was an intelligent, fiercely independent man. Our conversation ranged from his belief that his O positive blood type was protective, to his disdain of government telling him what to do, to his fear of vaccine passports, to his conviction that those afraid should stay home...

... The U.S. is marching toward 50% of our population being fully vaccinated, hoping for 70% by the summer. The next period is crucial. Broadening our reach to include vaccine-reluctant patients like mine will be the linchpin in stopping the forward roll of the virus.

What will it take to end COVID-19’s deadly reign? Will it be free Shake Shack french fries? Krispy Kreme donuts? The lure of a pre-rolled joint from a local dispensary? A chance to win a million dollars?

In spite of such incentives, vaccines are piling up as open appointments go unfilled.

As a doctor, it is hard knowing people are not protecting themselves. But this is perhaps inevitable when misinformation, faulty public health messaging and a dysfunctional government intersect...

... When I counsel patients, I try to make explicit the connection that their choice to get vaccinated is invariably tied to the health of their neighborhood, their community, their country. In the same vein, countries must step up for their neighbors, their continent, their world. Every corner of the globe must understand the shared responsibility that undergirds our mutual destiny.

The longer we wait, the more we continue to give this virus the opportunity to find new and novel ways to attack us, and everyone’s health is compromised. If the pandemic has taught us anything, it is that together we fall.

Great read...I should send this to the idiot next door to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I went to a pub last night in Petts Wood with 6 other people, and I thought it would be rammed, now lock down has been eased as pubs reopened for indoor customers. Not so. Arrived about 7.30 just walked in and got a table straight away. That particular pub is normally quite busy during the week, but I would say that it was about 3/4 full throughout the evening at most. 

Maybe the novelty has worn off already? Only main difference was table service only, which I prefer anyway. No price increases and a full food menu as before. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I think the best incentive would be to line up all antivaxers against the wall and shoot them if they refuse vaccination. Cruel but fair. Then they will not be able to impose themselves on others. Just add them to the lists of those who have died as a result of Covid. 😜

Stack them up like cord wood. Soak em with Kerosene, light the torch.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Better would be having them serve a community service sentence of a few days in a hospital ward with Covid patients. No PPE either. Let them walk the talk of survival of the fittest.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, fygjam said:

It'll be a blood bath in Ohio (according to some).

I'm in Ohio currently and I believe we have one of the largest amount of people vaccinated in the US and there is no bloodbath.  I don't think it's going poorly here at all.   Several months ago we were in trouble with all of the US though.  People in Ohio have to register to win as they can not automatically enter you to win.   They will draw names and then verify they have had their shots.   I feel the governor being first to do this is better than any advertising campaign money spent to encourage vaccination.  There has been an increase in people going to get their first shot since this was announced.  

Edited by Doug
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Doug said:

I'm in Ohio currently and I believe we have one of the largest amount of people vaccinated in the US and there is no bloodbath.  I don't think it's going poorly here at all.   Several months ago we were in trouble with all of the US though.  People in Ohio have to register to win as they can not automatically enter you to win.   They will draw names and then verify they have had their shots.   I feel the governor being first to do this is better than any advertising campaign money spent to encourage vaccination.  There has been an increase in people going to get their first shot since this was announced.  

Cool. Did you register?

Good luck. 👍

10 hours ago, Doug said:

I'm afraid you missed the point of my post.

Couple my earlier post about some morons who believe that even being near a vaccinated person brings on a woman's period combined with the success of the vaccination rollout in Ohio and you could end up with a bloodbath (if the morons are correct which they aren't).

Yay.

Hard work for some...but we got there.

I credit this event to good state and local leadership and the willingness of many to change their lives for the benefit of all.

RIP to those who lost their lives. Thoughts and prayers for those who refuse the vaccination.

. . .

California confirms state will reopen June 15 - no more social distancing, capacity limits

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-confirms-state-will-reopen-June-15-16194481.php

California will definitely reopen on June 15 and almost all public health restrictions will be lifted, state officials said Friday, releasing the first highly anticipated details of what post-pandemic life will look like.

Overnight, the state will do away with all capacity limits and other social distancing requirements for businesses and other activities. Gatherings of all sizes will be allowed. And everything from buffet service to open bars will be able to resume in public spaces and private events.

A handful of restrictions will remain in place — most notably some masking rules, primarily for people who aren’t yet vaccinated. Counties may also maintain some local restrictions. But for the most part, Californians will be able to pick up where they left off last March, when the first orders shutting down large gatherings were issued...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Yay.

I credit this event to good state and local leadership and the willingness of many to change their lives for the benefit of all.

RIP to those who lost their lives. Thoughts and prayers for those who refuse the vaccination.

. . .

California confirms state will reopen June 15 - no more social distancing, capacity limits

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-confirms-state-will-reopen-June-15-16194481.php

California will definitely reopen on June 15 and almost all public health restrictions will be lifted, state officials said Friday, releasing the first highly anticipated details of what post-pandemic life will look like.

Overnight, the state will do away with all capacity limits and other social distancing requirements for businesses and other activities. Gatherings of all sizes will be allowed. And everything from buffet service to open bars will be able to resume in public spaces and private events.

A handful of restrictions will remain in place — most notably some masking rules, primarily for people who aren’t yet vaccinated. Counties may also maintain some local restrictions. But for the most part, Californians will be able to pick up where they left off last March, when the first orders shutting down large gatherings were issued...

Outdoor concerts? Oh please, Oh please, Oh please??  Probably too late for summer bookings though. 😦😦 

But am happy that Calif and others are moving forward and the vaccines certainly helping the cause. Geez....I don't want to go through this again in my life time. 

IMG_0006 (2).JPG

IMG_0007 (2).JPG

• Like 7

18 hours ago, lazarus said:

Yay.

. . .

That's great news, though like here, i'm not happy if we have to still have some restrictions due to the fuckwits not getting the vaccine. I'd rather say f**k them, those that have refused. Those that can't for medical reasons or haven't been offered yet, the UK will have offered all adults by end of July, then sure i can understand it. 

The UK hopefully will have a similar reopening in June, the end is in sight, just different countries at different stages, hi Thailand :default_clapping:

Though we need to all be careful, i read on here 'They' just let us have a few freedoms, then will lock us all down again, rinse and repeat ............................................yawn, y'all 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Covid: Pfizer and AstraZeneca jabs effective against Indian variant - study

The Pfizer vaccine was found to be 88% effective at stopping symptomatic disease from the Indian variant two weeks after the second dose, compared with 93% effectiveness against the Kent variant.

The AstraZeneca jab was 60% effective against the Indian variant, compared with 66% against the Kent variant.

Public Health England (PHE) said the difference in effectiveness between the vaccines after two doses might be explained by the fact that rollout of second doses of AstraZeneca was later than for the Pfizer vaccine, which was approved first.

Other data shows it takes longer to reach maximum effectiveness with the AstraZeneca vaccine, PHE said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57214596

Not a bad idea... 

"Health officials are trying to find creative ways to counteract the slowing demand for vaccinations."

Las Vegas strip club offers vaccine clinic

The club was one of several pop-up clinics the Southern Nevada Health District announced last week

https://www.foxnews.com/us/las-vegas-strip-club-offers-vaccine-clinic

... In a place known for quickie Elvis-officiated weddings, topless brunches, dinner at 2 a.m. and over-the-top everything else, why not have a pop-up vaccine clinic in a strip club? 

JoJo Hamner, who dances in the "Sexxy After Dark: Where Dinner Meets Play" show at the Larry Flynt’s Hustler Club, was just one of the dozens of people who waited in a snaking line to get their vaccine on Friday. 

The strip club was one of several pop-up clinics the Southern Nevada Health District announced last week, according to FOX 5 in Las Vegas. 

Patrons who show proof of vaccination at the club will reportedly be treated to a one-year Platinum membership, dances from a vaccinated stripper, complimentary bottle of alcohol and tickets to "Sexxy After Dark" with a limousine pickup.

JoJo Hamner, a cast member of the "Sexxy After Dark: Where Dinner Meets Play" show, gets the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine during a pop-up vaccine clinic at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club on Friday, May 21, 2021, in Las Vegas. (Associated Press)

AP21142250053829.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 9:02 AM, Yessongs said:

Outdoor concerts? Oh please, Oh please, Oh please??  Probably too late for summer bookings though. 😦😦 

But am happy that Calif and others are moving forward and the vaccines certainly helping the cause. Geez....I don't want to go through this again in my life time. 

IMG_0006 (2).JPG

IMG_0007 (2).JPG

I also have missed the live shows and am eager to check out some classic rock acts who's tours were put off during the pandemic, especially the Doobie Bros, who were going to celebrate their 50th year as a band with a tour.

Everything I've heard on upcoming shows featuring big name acts in the Sacramento area are basically for the fall. The earliest show I've heard was for a Harvey's Outdoor Amphitheater in South Lake Tahoe for Roger Daltrey in late August I believe.

Whatever, I'm just glad to know that bookings will soon be at hand and promoters will be competing for venues as music acts, both old and new, will want to get back out on the road to earn some cash.

• Like 2