Which is the greatest Second World War film of all?

there is great English movie with 2 of the greatest actors of their time

Alex Guiness and John Mills ----------Tunes of Glory

its about a English officer taking over a Scottish regiment during WW2

great acting by all in the movie.it is one of my alltime favourite movies ,along side

Das Boot,

Bad Day at Black Rock--Spencer Tracy-----one of my all time great actors

Ronin----------- Robert De Niro and Jean Reno

the last 2 are not WW2 movies but 2 of my favorites,i could not help myself once again I wander of the thread sorry fellas it's this bloody lockdown playing silly buggers with me head.:default_1087:

well that's my excuse,you all get ya own :default_party-smiley-048:

regards

grayray

• Haha 1

Maybe not the greatest but my favourites are

The Pianist, Boy in the striped pajamas and Inglorious Bastards

None of them are war action movies as such and centre upon the cruelty of the Nazis. 

But top of the list as greatest for me is Where Eagles Dare

I have watched it maybe 5 or 6 times and still love it

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Another two not mentioned that were good, Fury and Empire of the Sun.

f839d236fbd156a40c07312391b8a5e8c9aceac75204db3433248959ac2ca571._RI_V_TTW_.jpg images.jpg

Fury is a movie I've seen many many times. All the characters are superb, especially young Norman and the guy who enjoys licking other people's fried eggs! 

• Like 1

As someone else as mentioned, although technically not a "movie", Band of Brothers has to be up there as one of the best movies/TV show about WW2.

Das Boot for the gritty realism of lives under the water. 

For something entertaining and enjoyable to watch, Jojo Rabbit, Escape to Victory and 1941 are up amongst the ones to watch.

Also enjoyed Escape from Athena, but that's probably more to do with looking at some of that amazing countryside of Greece of how it used to be, compared to all that high rise crap and bollocks the Greek Islands have now become!

image.png

Edited by Sherlock

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, Sherlock said:

As someone else as mentioned, although technically not a "movie", Band of Brothers has to be up there as one of the best movies/TV show about WW2.

Das Boot for the gritty realism of lives under the water. 

For something entertaining and enjoyable to watch, Jojo Rabbit, Escape to Victory and 1941 are up amongst the ones to watch.

Also enjoyed Escape from Athena, but that's probably more to do with looking at some of that amazing countryside of Greece of how it used to be, compared to all that high rise crap and bollocks the Greek Islands have now become!

image.png

I'm surprised no one has mentioned To Hell and Back, the true story of Americas most decorated soldier Audie Murphy, who play himself in it.

• Like 3

Impossible for me to tell which I consider best but "A Bridge Too Far" is definitely in my list. One interesting point about it, is that it was shot a bit down river (in Deventer) from the actual location (Arnhem) because at the time of shooting in Deventer there still was an exact duplicate of the already replaced bridge in Arnhem.

• Like 1

It has to be Operation Daybreak for me, based on the book Seven Men at Daybreak, it's the true story of the assassination of Reinhard heydrich and the repercusions afterwards. The music, played by David Hentschel on an ARP synthesiser, is haunting and provides a suitably sad and menacing tableau for the events depicted in the film. Anton Diffring is superb as Heydrich, and the settings in Prague are all true to life. There have been a few remakes of the story in recent times, such as Anthropoid, but they pale into insignificance compared with the 1975 original, which I saw in the cinema in my home town shortly before I went to university in London. The ending is heartbreaking, but that was true of so much of the Nazi occupation of Europe.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Like 4