Cheap finance and the move to EV

Butch

6 hours ago, Zeb said:

I agree with so much of the above posts.

Where I live the dealers business model is to make a huge chunk of their income from servicing after the sale, but that business model is broken, under market and regulatory challenge as well as changing.

Going back 15 - 20 years ago dealers tried imposing very expensive servicing via themselves in order to 'retain' warranty cover - speaking ICE vehicles here.

(This aspect alone would take pages to detail.)

This was of course successfully challenged under consumer law and dealers could either moderate serving costs or never see customers again.

Various Independent service garages emerged who offered reduced prices yet maintained the checks and maintenance to the level required to retain warranty. Some of the motoring organisations entered the market as well - think the equivalent of the RAC - the NRMA in NSW - but there were others.

The dealers turned to being dealers for a range car manufacturers - think 3 - 4 - 5 or more - all run by one overall dealer. They also serviced the vehicles of 3 - 4 - 5 different manufacturers - with varying degrees of success - and along came EV's.

Some dealers are once again trying - "Servicing has to be done by us to maintain warranty" - which will be challenged.

But MG and others are quoting "Precise Price Servicing" over the warranty period (7 years unlimited Km's in my MG4 for instance) and providing Roadside Assistance 24 hours x 365 days - provided you get servicing done with them. 

The cost of the Roadside Assist is not free - but pricing reflects in the servicing cost - of course.

My servicing interval is every 2 years or 40,000 km whichever comes first.

Every second service (4 years or 80,000 km) is more costly, however over an 8 year period of 4 services on an annualised basis the cost to me is AUD$ 300 pa for 8 years - call it 160 GB Pounds per x 8 years.

All up AUD $2,406 for 8 years service (About GBP 1,300)

I had Roadside Assist with NRMA for an almost 20 year old clunker prior to getting the MG4 which cost just under AUD$120 per year ( GBP 65) without the range of benefits I now get.

Over 8 years my prior Roadside Assist would have cost AUD$ 960 ( GBP 520) which is included in the All Up costs shown above.

Constant prices assumed for simplicity....

MG's Roadside Assist  comes with a range of additional benefits such as - Towing, Taxi, replacement vehicle hire if needed, Hotel accommodation, taxi to the hotel in addition to other assistance for other travel home if required.

I'm not locked to 8 years nor to a particular dealer.

I pay per service interval but the costs over 8 years are as above. "Precise Price Servicing" is not fixed price but anything can and probably will happen in 8 years

If I'm unhappy with the dealer I'll find another one.

An example of the 48 months/ 40,000 km service -

Check the function of the Parking Brake and adjust it as necessary.
Check the operation of the Lamps, Horns and system warning indicators.
Check operation and accuracy of windscreen wipers, washer and windscreen for damage - If the washer nozzles are adjustable, adjust them if required.
Check the status and function of seat belt.
Check various control function of A/C system.
Replace air-conditioning filter.
Check status and function of seat.
Check the condition of bonnet safety catch, tailgate/boot lid lock, door locks, hindges, door checks etc., Clean up all the dust and refill lubricating grease as necessary.
Check operation of electric sunroof, lubricate channels as necessary (If Fitted)
Check the connection and status of the 12v battery.
Check the High-Voltage harness for mutual interference, wear or damage. Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to comfirm surface is damaged or not.
Check the washer fluid level and add to the standard level as necessary.
Replace Brake fluid
Check the status of cooling system pipeline and connecting parts.
Replace Coolant
Check the status of the A/C system pipelinew such as the compressor, the cooling pipeline, and the condenser. Clean relevant surfaces as necessary.
Check the status of brake vacuum booster and hose.
Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage connectors to confirm the surface is damaged or not and installation is in place or not.
Check the high/low-voltage harness for mutual inteference, wear or damage.
Check the appearance of the high/low-voltage battery pack vent valve for damage, and check installation marks to see if it has moved.
Check the status of the manual service switch to ensure reliable mounting and clean up the dust on the surface.
Check the mounting position of the cooling water pipe and clip to ensure reliable sealing.
Check the installation marks of any high-voltage battery pack mounting bolts and ensure the bolts are fastened.
Check the appearance of high-voltage battery housing (including bracket) for crack or deformation.
Check the appearance of high-voltaqe battery pack grounding wire and replace it as necessary.
Check the status and thickness of front and rear brake pads and brake discs, and repalce them as necessary.
Check brake pipes and hoses for condition and security. Ensure that hoses and not twisted or kinked.
Check the wheel bearings and drive shaft sleeve.
Check the suspension and steering system for leakage or wear.
Check the tyres for tread depth and signs of damage, deformation, or uneven tyre wear, including the spare tyre (if equipped). Check the four-wheel alignment data and perform front and rear wheel rotation as appropriate.
Check tyre pressures and adjust as necessary, including the spare tyre (if equipped).
Check if the chassis and underbody bolts and nuts are fastened or fixed, and replace them as necessary.
Replace the electric drive transmission fluid
Check the electric drive transmission mounting bracket.
Use diagnostic software to reset service reminder interval indicator. Check for fault codes and determine operational status of the control systems.
Check software version of electronic control units and upgrade to latest version if available.
Check the equilibrium state of the high-voltage battery pack and suggest the owner carry out an equalising charge as necessary.
Carry out road test, and check the status and function of power system, brake, steering and other systems.

The BYD Dolphin is a similar vehicle to the MG4, but the BYD & MG both have different levels of trim which make the same brand vehicles as virtually different models - something I won't be going into much detail about.

MG have a dealer network in Australia which may also sell the vehicles of any number of manufacturers.

BYD don't have traditional dealers per say in Australia and it all looks a bit 'messy' to me.

I almost bought a BYD but the MG was what I wanted

BYD China has a financial interest in EV Direct which imports BYD's into Australia.

mycar, is the Official Australian BYD Service Partner 

Eagers Australia are dealers to the following brands as well as BYD-

Abarth
Alfa Romeo
Audi
BMW
Bentley
Chery
Chrysler Jeep
Cupra
Fiat
Fiat Professional
Ford
GMSV
HSV
Hino
Holden
Honda
Hyundai
Hyundai Trucks
Isuzu Trucks
Isuzu Ute
Iveco
Jaguar
Jeep
Kia
LDV
Land Rover
Lexus
MG
Mack
Mercedes-Benz
Mini
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Parts Distribution
Peugeot
Porsche
Pre-Owned
Ram
Renault
Skoda
SsangYong
Subaru
Suzuki
Toyota
UD
Volkswagen
Volvo
Volvo Trucks
Zooper
easyauto123

I'm sure to have left stuff out - doing this somewhat on the hop.

Plus I'm sure there are changes that will happen as well....

Such is life.

😋

No check on the fire extinguisher? 😉

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

This is what it related to -

Yet EV's are compared regularly to ICE vehicles as a matter of course,(notwithstanding what you referred to above as - "not really been in mainstream use for long enough to offer a reasonably decent enough amount of data to compare". 

This is done by consumers, manufacturers, dealers, government & regulators etc etc - the list can go on and on and debates, discussions etc can also go on and on and on.

Thats the rabbit hole I referred to - the one I have little interest in - because I have an EV I'm happy with and my main focus is enjoying it in the years I have left with reasonable health etc.

People can get an EV or not.

Argue the toss or not - its really up to them.

Doesn't mean I will never throw my two bob's worth in the mix - as events etc happen etc.

I will though make a few comments about dealers etc and my experience with them - regarding my patch of the woods - there may be some similarity to the UK scene and which you have commented on in other posts here today.

Will do so below as time permits, hopefully something fairly soon.

Christmas stuff pressing etc but will comment soon etc.

Ahh ,yes sorry, I see what you were getting at now, there was bit of stuff lost in translation.

Our data definitions within this subject are perhaps different. I'm referring to the long term data that gives trends on say, long term reliability, resale, depreciation curves, residual values and lifetime running costs for an EV. Those are the data points which have not yet been fully established and are ongoing.

Regarding making direct comparisons, well, data isn't really needed for a comparison, just an example of the type is.

This is what may put many buyers off. Why buy into a relatively new and totally different kind of technology and motoring trend with little to go on, especially when the costs of doing so are very high.

However, the Manufacturers are not daft. They know a "bad model" at this stage will pretty much wreck any future reputation they may have for building EV's, BMW are not alone in this and have already dropped the ball once, hence their push towards the hybrids and releasing EV versions of already established models, like the 5 Series.

• Thumbs Up 1

All of the ^^^ is the reason I never have the 3 year big service which is usually the most expensive service done and sell it instead. 
Especialy as I’ll probably have already done 6 services on our present car before it’s sold, in less than 3 years. 😡

Edited by KhunDon
  • Thumbs Up 2

If this is accurate & widely available within a reasonable time frame there are huge implication's for the legacy manufacturers.

Production said to be happening NOW !

Pricing not covered though.

Electric Viking -

Geely's Game Changing Fire Proof LFP batteries: 500kw charging, 83.7% density

9 hours ago, Jambo said:

No check on the fire extinguisher?

This battery looks to have that covered as well 😋

Edited by Zeb
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

I’ve been following the design, or lack thereof, of Solid State batteries thinking they will be the next generation of batteries, then out of the blue comes the Chinese with their new design. 🤗

It’s sad that the rest of the EV world seems to be so far behind them. Considering the huge R&D departments each large legacy company has. Maybe they’re too busy building show cars at great costs, that never get into production, just onto YouTube. 

Good luck to the Chinese, it’ll certainly winnow the wheat from the chaff in the Legacy car world over the next few years.  
I’d certainly buy one if they become available in the UK. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KhunDon said:

out of the blue comes the Chinese with their new design. 🤗

It’s sad that the rest of the EV world seems to be so far behind them. Considering the huge R&D departments each large legacy company has. Maybe they’re too busy building show cars at great costs, that never get into production, just onto YouTube.

The scary thing is what else is in the pipeline by the various Chinese EV manufacturers.

Legacy manufacturers like Toyota's CEO have acknowledged the engineering dominance of Tesla describing it as "a work of art". Also I think it was Ford or GM acknowledging they are unlikely to catch-up with Tesla in an engineering or overall sense.

Legacy manufacturers should be able to compete on the non battery aspects of EV's and source batteries from China while building their own expertise in this area. Tesla use Chinese batteries already in some of their EV's.

I don't know, but wonder if the legacy companies have lost the will in all of this ?

But the Chinese & Tesla are not standing still....

• Like 1

The beat goes on... heaven knows where all this ends up if half of it is accurate...

China's Electric Vehicle Revolution Comes for German Industry

This bit from the same clip (towards the end) puts what is happening in perspective -

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

‘Amazing’: Queensland mum uses electric car to ‘save’ son’s life with dialysis during power outage

Kristy Holmes always knew she could use her electric car for ‘good things’, but when storms caused a blackout, it proved life-saving

An electric vehicle owner has used her car’s emergency power system to run her 11-year-old son’s lifesaving dialysis machine and another has ridden to the rescue of his neighbours after devastating storms cut power in south-east Queensland.

When the power went down following storms and flash flooding on Christmas Day, many residents immediately felt the consequences: electric gates did not work, septic tanks began to fill, air conditioners could not run and fridges began to warm as a heatwave followed.

But some electric vehicle drivers whose cars are equipped with “vehicle to load” systems – a back-up power system that allows the car to act as an emergency generator or supply for devices such as lights, laptops, TVs and refrigerators – stepped in to help out and, in some cases, save lives.

One woman on the Gold Coast, Kristy Holmes, 42, used her BYD electric car to power her 11-year-old son’s dialysis machine after their power shut off on Christmas Day.

At first Holmes and her husband used the car to plug in their fridges and those of their neighbours in the adjoining units but when the power did not come back on quickly, she started to wonder whether the BYD Atto 3 the couple bought in February could also handle the life-saving dialysis machine.

“We ran it off the car,” Holmes said. “We only needed to use it for the one night. We could have run it for at least four nights and then have to go charge the car somewhere.”

Her son Levi, who is about to go on a transplant list this month, would have faced life-threatening health consequences had he not been able to receive treatment, and would have needed to travel to Brisbane during the storm if he could not find an alternative.

Holmes said she had known she could “use my car for good things” since she made slow-cooked mulled wine for a movie night using the car’s electric system.

“It’s the most amazing car I’ve ever owned. Now it’s been able to save my son during a storm, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a petrol car again.”

Another EV driver, chemistry teacher Matt McLaughlin, 52, used his vehicle to help those in need after he posted to the Bonogin community Facebook group offering emergency power.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/01/amazing-queensland-mum-uses-electric-car-to-save-sons-life-with-dialysis-during-power-outage

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The EV zealots in the UK are grasping at straws now....

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bean-actor-rowan-atkinson-blamed-for-slow-electric-car-sales-13065947?fbclid=IwAR00FrmxXw7rKq6CIJW5aib6EDVyUMiOF24UvRQyXhqFJwFYj5OGtSKbGhI

From the Telegraph....

A report from the House of Lords climate change committee has blamed the press, among others, for an allegedly slow uptake of electric vehicles. Misinformation about price, difficulties charging the car, the battery capacity, and their role in particulate pollution have all combined to present a negative picture, the peers said.
They want the Government to do more to counter this. Even though more than one million EVs are now registered in the UK, growth in the sector has flatlined and needs to be revived by state action, the peers said.
Why should the Government intervene to force the sale of a particular vehicle? Moreover, do the peers really think that newspaper reports about the difficulties some motorists encounter with their EVs should somehow be censored? How else do we interpret their call to build consumer confidence and push back against “mistruths”?
Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:19 PM, coxyhog said:

The EV zealots in the UK are grasping at straws now....

https://news.sky.com/story/mr-bean-actor-rowan-atkinson-blamed-for-slow-electric-car-sales-13065947?fbclid=IwAR00FrmxXw7rKq6CIJW5aib6EDVyUMiOF24UvRQyXhqFJwFYj5OGtSKbGhI

From the Telegraph....

A report from the House of Lords climate change committee has blamed the press, among others, for an allegedly slow uptake of electric vehicles. Misinformation about price, difficulties charging the car, the battery capacity, and their role in particulate pollution have all combined to present a negative picture, the peers said.
They want the Government to do more to counter this. Even though more than one million EVs are now registered in the UK, growth in the sector has flatlined and needs to be revived by state action, the peers said.
Why should the Government intervene to force the sale of a particular vehicle? Moreover, do the peers really think that newspaper reports about the difficulties some motorists encounter with their EVs should somehow be censored? How else do we interpret their call to build consumer confidence and push back against “mistruths”?

Flatlining 🤣

I’ve just ordered my second EV. 

https://insideevs.com/news/625155/uk-plugin-car-sales-november2022/amp/

This is Atkinson’s Mc Laren F1. Twat can’t even drive. 

IMG_2238.jpeg

Edited by KhunDon
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2024 at 12:13 PM, KhunDon said:

Flatlining 🤣

I’ve just ordered my second EV. 

https://insideevs.com/news/625155/uk-plugin-car-sales-november2022/amp/

This is Atkinson’s Mc Laren F1. Twat can’t even drive. 

IMG_2238.jpeg

That's actually back on the road (or in a collection) having been crashed twice by Rowan and fixed

You're right though, it takes a special kind of twat to demolish a multi million pound iconic hypercar. He definitely had his ambitions mixed up with his capabilities on that one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zeb said:

2024 BYD Dolphin gets lower price model with impressive new features

I haven’t yet seen a BYD in the wild in the UK, but they’re here and more are coming. 
He’s right, Chinese EV’s are gonna sure shake up the EV market and that means trouble for the big legacy manufacturers across Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KhunDon said:

He’s right, Chinese EV’s are gonna sure shake up the EV market and that means trouble for the big legacy manufacturers across Europe.

I'm very happy with my MG4. EV sales in Australia are booming and will only increase.

Am looking forward to seeing what improvements etc will come with the 2024 models.

Have done about 6000 km's which has cost me about AUD $68 in total to recharge, ie I mainly recharge in the basement parking of the supermarket where recharging is free, but a 2 hour limit on parking until a parking applies.

The $68 was for highway recharging.

Don't know how long it will remain free but am making the most of ot while it lasts. 😋

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

New Dacia spring EV, cheapest on the market.

The 45hp model might do for shopping trips only, as 19 seconds to 60 is slower than pretty much any other car on the market, but the 65hp model is more sprightly and slightly more expensive than the £15k price tag (probably just a hook for advertising and to get headlines - no one in their right mind will go for the low power model).

Overall, despite a 135 or so mile range, for a city EV on a budget but still with decent comfort levels, I don't think this one can be beaten.

Two respected and very good reviews:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/behold-very-new-very-cheap-and-very-excellent-electric-dacia-spring

https://www.carwow.co.uk/dacia/news/7042/new-dacia-spring-price-specs

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saw a review on YouTube last night and the guy saw a problem with it, in that there is absolutely no adjustment for reach or rake of the steering wheel and only a tiny amount of forward or backward movement of the drivers seat. That in itself would rule it out for myself (6ft) and my wife (5ft 4 ins) as a car not suitable for our use. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Surprised 1

The top three battery chemistries coming soon to EVs – and none of them are solid-state

Electric vehicles saw a subtle, but significant evolution in batteries during the 2010s.

For example, the BMW i3’s battery capacity doubled between 2013 and 2019, using the same physical size of cells.  

However, nothing particularly exciting happened regarding the chemistry of those batteries.  

They were almost always NMC – lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide – with gradually decreasing cobalt content and improved energy density (in other words, how much range you can pack into a given weight or size of battery).

Now, we’re starting to see some seriously exciting battery developments on the horizon, all of which have important implications for EVs, and will result in a diversification of the chemistries offered in different makes and models of electric vehicles.

Here, we’ll look at my personal top three favourite battery chemistries that are due to hit EVs soon – and despite the hype, you may be surprised to learn that none of them are solid-state.

LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE AND LMFP

The first of my top three battery chemistries is already offered in some of the best selling EVs today, including the Standard Range Tesla Model 3 and Y, MG4 and BYD’s electric cars.

Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) replaces NMC in the cathode.  It contains no cobalt or nickel, so is cheaper and more ethical, and on top of this, it has a longer cycle life (can be charged and discharged more times before its capacity degrades to the point that it’s no longer suitable for your needs) and doesn’t catch fire if severely damaged.

BYD’s Blade LFP cell doesn’t even get hot if drilled straight through when fully charged!

LFP’s range issue is on the cusp of being solved by LMFP, whereby manganese (or another metal) is added alongside the iron and phosphorus in the cathode.  

This boosts the cell’s voltage without adding much cost, and brings the energy density of this cobalt-free, cheaper, safer and more ethical chemistry close to that of NMC.  

Tesla was rumoured to be introducing LMFP in the refreshed Model 3, which would give the Standard Range model a range in excess of 300 miles per charge, but this has yet to happen.  However, watch this space: in addition to the Tesla rumours, Gotion, a cell manufacturer backed by Volkswagen, plans to start manufacturing its LMFP cells this year.

SODIUM-ION

While there is a lot of focus on how make batteries that provide the most range for an electric vehicle, some of the most exciting developments will result in slightly less range vs today, but with huge advantages in other areas.  

Sodium-ion is a prime example of this: it eliminates cobalt, nickel, copper and lithium, replacing them with cheaper and far more abundant materials with well-established supply chains.  After all, sodium is found in sea salt.

Sodium-ion cells don’t pose a fire hazard if severely damaged; perform better than lithium-ion in freezing temperatures; don’t require as much thermal management (battery cooling/heating) as lithium-ion cells; and are much easier and safer to ship.  

So, not only are they cheaper to make and manage, but they’re cheaper to transport too, which delivers a double cost saving to consumers.  Their downside is that their energy density is less than LFP, so the range per charge of EVs equipped with the first generation of sodium-ion cells will arguably best suited to urban drivers, but that’s still a valid part of the market, and one that needs affordable cars.

WHAT ABOUT SOLID-STATE?
The term “solid-state” encompasses a broad church of different electrolytes and chemistries, rather than being a single type of cell.

“Solid-state” refers to the replacement of the liquid electrolyte and polymer separator with a solid electrolyte that does both jobs, ideally while offering faster charge and discharge times and improved safety.  

This means that, for example, a solid-state electrolyte could be used with a silicon anode and an LMFP cathode.  

The electrolyte may be so safe that the silicon anode would no longer be required, allowing for a pure lithium anode to be used instead and further reducing the bulkiness – and increasing the energy density – of the battery pack.  

This means that some of our cheapest and most ethical chemistries today could be made so compact that they exceed the energy density of today’s more expensive market-leading NMC chemistries, while solid-state electrolytes used in conjunction with NMC cathodes could result in seriously impressive electric vehicle ranges, including “city cars” that are more than capable of taking on cross-country journeys with ease.

On top of this, some startups are now turning their attention to how to make solid-state electrolytes for sodium-ion cells.  

This would further reduce the cost of batteries by allowing more abundant and ethical sodium to be used instead of lithium, in batteries that rival the range per charge of today’s EVs.  

While early versions of solid-state batteries are already in use in niche applications today, it will be a few years before we see them offered in mass produced electric cars and vans.

One thing is for certain, though: electric vehicle battery chemistries are diversifying, and shall continue to do so, bringing many cost, range and ethics advantages which are great news for electric vehicles and their buyers.

https://electricdrives.tv/the-top-three-battery-chemistries-coming-soon-to-evs-and-none-of-them-are-solid-state/

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Some interesting points about rental EV's made in this article.

Hertz CEO out following electric car ‘horror show’

But the problem for Hertz wasn’t necessarily that the cars were electric, and customers simply do not want to drive electric cars. The problem was how Hertz handled the fleet in general, according to industry analysts.

“The execution and marketing of EV’s [by Hertz] was a horror show across the board,” said Daniel Ives, an analyst with Wedbush Securities who follows the EV market. “It’s a black eye they couldn’t recover from.”

Part of the problem for Hertz was that even people who might want to buy an EV wouldn’t necessarily want to rent one while on the road, when they don’t necessarily have the ability to plug them in to charge them as they would at a private home. There might not be a charging station, or enough time, for a rental car customer to charge an EV, Ives said.

By hewing to charging rules the way Hertz has enforced refueling rules, it may have dissuaded customers from wanting to rent an electric car. Without building any charging infrastructure at its rental locations, Hertz may have hurt its own business.

“They don’t want to go 20 minutes out of their way at five in the morning to find a charging station,” Ives said.
Even without the drop in value of the cars it bought, Hertz struggled with collision and damage repairs on an EV running about twice that associated with a comparable combustion engine vehicle, Scherr told investors on a 2023 call.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

There is no way i would be buying an EV at my age.

Fair enough.

I thought the same to start with and changed my mind.

Glad I did. It was the right decision - for me.....

With the benefit of hindsight I even settled on the best level of trim & model for my needs & circumstances.

The 'bells n whistles' are OK - but the way the vehicle drives has a grin on my face when driving or even thinking about driving.

😋

• Thumbs Up 2