The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

Wednesday;  15 days after my Hip Replacement operation

Yesterday I mentioned a cough that came on and my walk to the local Pharmacist for some cough medicine.

I was coughing on and off most of the night and managed very little sleep. At about 05:00 am I felt really hot and I had a headache. Oh no I thought!

You could not make this up.

Next to my bed on a shelf was my last remaining Covid test kit left over from when I had covid about 18 months ago. I looked at the date on it and it stated not to use after December 2023.

Took the test.........Positive.

I was hoping it was no longer accurate so at 9:15 I telephoned my usual Pharmacist who have been delivering my  prescription medications. I asked if they could deliver a box of test kits today which they said was no problem and they delivered at 11:00am. How was that for service.

Took another test and that was positive as well.

My symptoms are no worse than a streaming cold but it is a pain in the arse and I gave my walk a miss today. Had a good rest but I did complete my full range of designated exercises.

Going to have to isolate at least through the weekend.

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Wednesday;  15 days after my Hip Replacement operation

Yesterday I mentioned a cough that came on and my walk to the local Pharmacist for some cough medicine.

I was coughing on and off most of the night and managed very little sleep. At about 05:00 am I felt really hot and I had a headache. Oh no I thought!

You could not make this up.

Next to my bed on a shelf was my last remaining Covid test kit left over from when I had covid about 18 months ago. I looked at the date on it and it stated not to use after December 2023.

Took the test.........Positive.

I was hoping it was no longer accurate so at 9:15 I telephoned my usual Pharmacist who have been delivering my  prescription medications. I asked if they could deliver a box of test kits today which they said was no problem and they delivered at 11:00am. How was that for service.

Took another test and that was positive as well.

My symptoms are no worse than a streaming cold but it is a pain in the arse and I gave my walk a miss today. Had a good rest but I did complete my full range of designated exercises.

Going to have to isolate at least through the weekend.

Always something, eh mate ? Get your rest. Most important thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

You hit that one on the spot mate. Wankers carpel tunnel syndrome. I have suffered from that in the past. Have to adjust your posture and positioning of the remote. Can be very painful.

:default_good:

To be a proper wanker you have to be ambidextrous....

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jambo said:

I cannot stop sneezing. No wonder covid gets spread around.

I am isolating but I must somehow keep up the walking practice.

When I had Covid a few weeks back I took a course of Paxlovid...seemed to help.

You might look into it if it's available...

15 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Sunday: 19 days after my Hip replacement.

Finally the symptoms of my Covid bout are in retreat. Four very unpleasant days and nights with a streaming nose, sneezing and coughs.  Feeling much better today.

Rightly, or wrongly, I kept up with my daily walks. It was good to get some fresh air and I avoided getting anywhere near people I encountered on the way. I religiously complete the full set of set exercises each day but there is little doubt that walking is the best form of exercise. I am now walking normally without any pain or a limp but I need to build up basic fitness. 

Keep walking.

I think I mentioned somewhere that it is sometime before I can undertake a long hall flight due to the risk of blood clots. There is nothing to stop me going short haul (less than 4 hours) so I am off to Spain for 9 nights in just under 4 weeks.

No problem arranging Travel/Medical insurance. I declared I had a hip Replacement operation and that I am not on any prescription medications ( as agreed with my GP on 15 September) other than blood thinners which cease 4 days before I fly. The cost for the trip 68 pounds which was much less than I expected.

On thing is for absolute certain. I am not going to go down with covid like I did 18 months ago. I am going back because I felt so cheated the last time.

Good to hear you're doing well, my dad's waiting for a hip replacement. He's got a pre-op assessment next month so hoping for some good news at last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richy65 said:

Good to hear you're doing well, my dad's waiting for a hip replacement. He's got a pre-op assessment next month so hoping for some good news at last.

I received just the one letter advising me of both the pre-op and the date of admission for the operation itself. They were two weeks apart but in the middle of the pre-op on a Friday I was offered a cancellation for the next Tuesday. I was very pleased to accept the offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Jambo said:

Sunday: 19 days after my Hip replacement.

Finally the symptoms of my Covid bout are in retreat. Four very unpleasant days and nights with a streaming nose, sneezing and coughs.  Feeling much better today.

Rightly, or wrongly, I kept up with my daily walks. It was good to get some fresh air and I avoided getting anywhere near people I encountered on the way. I religiously complete the full set of set exercises each day but there is little doubt that walking is the best form of exercise. I am now walking normally without any pain or a limp but I need to build up basic fitness. 

Keep walking.

I think I mentioned somewhere that it is sometime before I can undertake a long hall flight due to the risk of blood clots. There is nothing to stop me going short haul (less than 4 hours) so I am off to Spain for 9 nights in just under 4 weeks.

No problem arranging Travel/Medical insurance. I declared I had a hip Replacement operation and that I am not on any prescription medications ( as agreed with my GP on 15 September) other than blood thinners which cease 4 days before I fly. The cost for the trip 68 pounds which was much less than I expected.

On thing is for absolute certain. I am not going to go down with covid like I did 18 months ago. I am going back because I felt so cheated the last time.

Make sure you wear compression socks mate.

• Like 4

Sunday : 3  weeks 4 days since my hip replacement

and 11 days since I tested positive for covid. 😚

I am walking normally now with no limp and no pain. Some initial stiffness in the hip however that disappears after a minute or two of walking.

I had a good/bad year of not being able to do any meaningful exercise as it was just too painful. That has left me really unfit and that has been compounded by feeling really lethargic following covid.

It was a real effort today to drag myself away from watching Europe doing the business in the Ryder Cup. I must do a walk every day as walking is the best possible exercise following my operation. I am still religiously doing the set exercises every day but nothing beats a brisk 30 minute walk especially as around where I am living is virtually all up and down hill and the hills are steep!

I called into our local charity shop to see if they were interested in taking my two sets of walking sticks and an unused walking frame. Unlike "Jobsworth" at the Royal Hospital they will be delighted to accept my various aids and I promised to drop them in on Friday when my daughter can park in their car park.

Under 3 weeks now until my 9 days break in Spain so I want to be able to walk up to an hour or so by then. My hotel is only 2 minutes from the start of "The British Strip" and the first Nightclub so I am hedging my bets. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Quiet thread these days, everybody must be enjoying good health.

I'm starving and purging myself today in preparation for my first colonoscopy tomorrow morning - I'm hungry enough already and the day is young...

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Quiet thread these days, everybody must be enjoying good health.

I'm starving and purging myself today in preparation for my first colonoscopy tomorrow morning - I'm hungry enough already and the day is young...

I’ve had several of those over the years and dread the 2 sachets of that stuff they give you to blow you through. 😩

It always struck me as strange that the only thing you can eat on the day before the procedure is boiled white rice and boiled chicken, both of which will get blown through before you get any nutrients from them!
The last time I had one a few years ago they decided to put me out with a mild anaesthetic, as they were going all the way up to the ileac pole which is where the colon joins the small bowel.

“Up shit creek and around the corner” is the technical term I believe. 🤣

I do remember reading the radiologists report afterwards, where he said that I had the cleanest ileac pole he’d ever seen. Thankfully there were no suspicious lesions or polyps that needed biopsy or in the case of the polyps, removal. 

Makes me proud to be British. 🤗

Edited by KhunDon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

“Up shit creek and around the corner” is the technical term I believe. 🤣

Lol, good one - my instructions were no fiber, no legumes, nuts, berries, grapes, etc - basically anything with a shell, peel, or skin for five days before, and then the day before you're only allowed clear liquids and nothing coloured red or purple - no food at all -  whilst mixing and drinking the stuff in the sachets, once at 1300 and again at 2000. I put down the first one three hours ago and have been merrily squirting away for the last hour or so of this. Here they also put us down with a mild anaesthetic and you are prohibited from driving home at the end of the procedure so I will have my brother take me across town to the hospital and back again - the fine print also states that you're supposed to have someone baby-sit you for 24 hrs after but I hardly think I or my brother will bother with this...

• Great Info 4
  • Haha 1

2 years ago when I was 65 back in Calif, I had the "double header" of scopes. I had an " Endoscopy" and a "Colonoscopy" both at the same location. Agree with Gord, the prep work, the strict eating policy etc. is worse then the actual procedures I think.  Obviously being sedated, never knew what was happening. Both procedures went well, no issues and very happy to get this done. 

Of course wifey drove me home, was groggy to say the least. She told me I was talking like I was "Dlunk" :default_crazysmile:

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

I remember about 10 years ago I had a Video Capsule Endoscopy (VCE) in which I had to swallow a large pill like camera that takes thousands of coloured pictures as it passes through your stomach, then through your small intestines, through your large bowel and finally your colon. 

Whilst it’s on its travels, they strapped onto me some electronic box of tricks via 6 sensors stuck on your tummy, which receives and stores the pictures digitally. 
I swallowed the pill at the County Bowel cancer hospital in Poole in the morning around 8am and came back to the hospital around 5pm, where they download the pictures and run them through just like a slow video to assess the results. A bit like a fairground ride through a tunnel of doom, fuckin scary. 😱

I saw the pill as they activated it and tested it before I necked it down with a glass of water. Apparently it has 2 cameras and a flash that goes off 3 times a second, taking pictures.

The following evening I shat it out and the flashlight was still going and was winking away at me and taking pictures as I stared down into the bowl.

It didn’t catch my good side though. 😤🤬

Edited by KhunDon
  • Haha 2

I had a camera up my jacksy about 5 years ago,had it done by BUPA as I also had a grumbling appendix & got that done at the same time.Everything was fine until one of the small holes cut for the keyhole appendix job went septic and they had to cut away the rotten flesh.

Spent the best part of the next 3 months going to our GP's for nurses to dress the hole in my belly.

• Sad 5

Achilles tendinitis or a cramp..I may have once or twice a month  I get this,usually when laying in bed,ankle just siezes up and can't put weight on it ,very difficult to walk,few hours later gone like nothing happened,very strange,probably brought on by hiking ect,happened in Thailand twice now waking up in the morning, had to wait till afternoon to go out.

Not sure if a podiatrist could help.