What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

That's the frustrating thing , think I just shifted on my chair or reached for my cup of tea .. crazy 555

Same has happened to me on occasion. Small movement that leads to a couple of days of back pain from a pulled muscle. In my case, while I do a lot of bike riding, I also ride an office chair quite a bit. Neither are conducive to increasing core muscle strength, thus the occasional back pain.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:13 AM, forcebwithu said:

A heads up for you and other planet gazers.

Once-In-A-Lifetime Planetary Alignment Is About To Take Place; Here's How You Can Watch It:
Saturn, Mars, Venus & Jupiter going to align in one line.

The alignment starts to build around April 17, but it will be most visible on the morning of April 20. To see the alignment from the United States, you'll need to get up before sunrise on April 20 and look east.

planetaryalignmentapril-1024_ggkq.1248.png

I remembered to look up this morning.

Nice!

44 minutes ago, galenkia said:

No, job offer was withdrawn after the DBS results came in due to my previous convictions.

Guess you can't leave your past behind you.

Hang in there Alan, you will land on your feet somewhere. You have been through alot, owned up to your issues and well.....I do not want to get too " sentimental" here, but someone looking down on you will make it right for you! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Hang in there Alan, you will land on your feet somewhere. You have been through alot, owned up to your issues and well.....I do not want to get too " sentimental" here, but someone looking down on you will make it right for you! 

Cheers mate, but it fucks me off being judged on your past not the person you are now. Last conviction was in 1996. Yeah, it's how things are nowadays. Don't make it easier to deal with. Makes me wonder why I should make the effort. Always had problems with mental health but things like this just makes things worse.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

No, job offer was withdrawn after the DBS results came in due to my previous convictions.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Will it make any difference to go talk to them to explain how you have changed your life around?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Sorry to hear that mate.

Will it make any difference to go talk to them to explain how you have changed your life around?

f**k them,if they can't see the person I'm now then I ain't interested.

f**k it, I'm just gonna spend the money I've got in the bank and worry about shit later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Sorry to hear that mate.

Yes, it won't hurt. It will show that you really want the job and if they do hire you, they will never regret it. Now it's all up to you to back the talk. Hopefully, they will have an open mind and reconsider.

Wishing you the best!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Sorry about this mate.

You may want to look into expungement process. A good lawyer can advise on the possibility (perhaps advise for free, but following through with the process would cost a few quid).

This can actually be more doable than you may think. It depends on a variety of factors such as amount of time that has past. The fact that you have kept yourself clean and no other records can mean this is possible. Worth looking into.

Once your records are expunged a future record could show - "no previous convictions".

I strongly recommend looking into this. Also research companies or businesses who give consideration for hire to people who may have past records. They are out there. 

*** Don't under sell yourself mate. Get frustrated, it's understandable. But turn that into persistence and persuasion. Don't let that bury you. You can overcome this if you apply your energy to it and make a plan to approach it in a positive way. There are services and people out there that can provide assistance and guidance on this kind of thing. You just have to dig a little harder to find those who may be able to help you. You've come too far to let this speed bump to stop you from moving ahead.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Cheers mate, but it fucks me off being judged on your past not the person you are now. Last conviction was in 1996. Yeah, it's how things are nowadays. Don't make it easier to deal with. Makes me wonder why I should make the effort. Always had problems with mental health but things like this just makes things worse.

You need a DBS for working in a motorbike parts place?

Because of working with the public?

Fucking Hell, did they ask you on the application form or at interview?  Always best to disclose IMO.

I've has the same mate, lost a job i was meant to start years ago as it was working in Police Stations off and on.

But you just say f**k it, you can't change the past, but can change the future. You had 2 jobs in no time when you decided the time was right, you'll get the same again. 

Yea, it's a bollocks, they say people should try and turn their life around, then some cunts will still penalise you. 

But your convictions would be well 'spent', there is laws on discrimination against ex offenders, they can't penalise you after offering you the job unless they have a valid reason.  I would check it out. @nampla69 Sean might know more about it. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Sorry about this mate.

You may want to look into expungement process. A good lawyer can advise on the possibility (perhaps advise for free, but following through with the process would cost a few quid).

This can actually be more doable than you may think. It depends on a variety of factors such as amount of time that has past. The fact that you have kept yourself clean and no other records can mean this is possible. Worth looking into.

Once your records are expunged a future record could show - "no previous convictions".

I strongly recommend looking into this. Also research companies or businesses who give consideration for hire to people who may have past records. They are out there. 

*** Don't under sell yourself mate. Get frustrated, it's understandable. But turn that into persistence and persuasion. Don't let that bury you. You can overcome this if you apply your energy to it and make a plan to approach it in a positive way. There are services and people out there that can provide assistance and guidance on this kind of thing. You just have to dig a little harder to find those who may be able to help you. You've come too far to let this speed bump to stop you from moving ahead.

Just beat me to it, yea the rehabilitation of offenders Act. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-guidance-on-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act-1974

50 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Really can't be arsed with it. DBS was because it's working for a company that deals with insurance claims.

Gonna chill for the summer and worry about shit later in the autumn, got plenty of dough in the bank so f**k it.

Sorry to hear fate has decided that in the short term a good hard kick in the b*****ks was just what you needed😞

You've come through much tougher than this though, and thrived.

Employment market hasn't changed, will still be plenty of work out there at a better wage than you were on, when you decide to look again.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

Okay Gal, i hear ya. 

I would just say that, remember to when a few weeks ago you were posting that your head has begun to 'wander', you had too much time on your hands, and you needed to speak with your alcohol worker. 

You've now had a knock back, and these things happen, this is life. But, it won't help if your head starts to wander again. You know yourself best mate, but hey, i wouldn't leave it too long, and i would speak to your alcohol worker again if you feel you need to. 

Don't want to sound preachy mate, you know yourself best, but you don't seem in a good place, and too much time on your hands can be dangerous. 

Big ditto on this one. Now is the time to attack it and make best use of your time Gal. I'd advise making it a priority project, but mix in some fun time also. You can do it, you know it. 

You took a gut punch. Spit out the mouthpiece. Get up and start fighting back. You know you can do it and have the power within yourself to do so. You've come to far. 

Like they say --- Up to you.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Krapow said:

You need a DBS for working in a motorbike parts place?

Because of working with the public?

Fucking Hell, did they ask you on the application form or at interview?  Always best to disclose IMO.

I've has the same mate, lost a job i was meant to start years ago as it was working in Police Stations off and on.

But you just say f**k it, you can't change the past, but can change the future. You had 2 jobs in no time when you decided the time was right, you'll get the same again. 

Yea, it's a bollocks, they say people should try and turn their life around, then some cunts will still penalise you. 

But your convictions would be well 'spent', there is laws on discrimination against ex offenders, they can't penalise you after offering you the job unless they have a valid reason.  I would check it out. @nampla69 Sean might know more about it. 

Laws are changing all the time on convictions, spent or unspent unless in areas where enhanced DBS checks are required.

i.e. working with kids, vulnerable adults, government security etc. Even for these jobs changes all the time.

Loads of gays got done for 'cottaging' in the 60s-90s so became sex offenders (not you Gal me old mate I know). Your biggest crime was following QPR and doing too many Es. All written off now.

Now all  mostly gone old silly convictions. Not declaring it when applying is the problem and can be a criminal offence.

'Gaining a pecuniary advantage by deception'.

Employers need to look at age of convictions, relevance to the job and 2010 Equalities Act. 1 in 4 young men have some sort of caution, conviction etc. It is a vile system but not meant to be the mark of Cain as you get older.

Stay strong in Bracknell mate ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Okay Gal, i hear ya. 

I would just say that, remember to when a few weeks ago you were posting that your head has begun to 'wander', you had too much time on your hands, and you needed to speak with your alcohol worker. 

You've now had a knock back, and these things happen, this is life. But, it won't help if your head starts to wander again. You know yourself best mate, but hey, i wouldn't leave it too long, and i would speak to your alcohol worker again if you feel you need to. 

Don't want to sound preachy mate, you know yourself best, but you don't seem in a good place, and too much time on your hands can be dangerous. 

Always knew the DBS would be a concern, failed one before when I worked in the motor trade and the body shop I was working at got a contract to repair police cars. 

f**k it, shit happens, just gotta deal with it, don't make it easier. Really wanted that job.

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Seems super harsh, OK 5 years fair enough and 10 years at a stretch. But 25+ years later WTF? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Always knew the DBS would be a concern, failed one before when I worked in the motor trade and the body shop I was working at got a contract to repair police cars. 

f**k it, shit happens, just gotta deal with it, don't make it easier. Really wanted that job.

As someone else said , if a DBS check is required,  either during or at the end of the interview be upfront, let them know anything that the check will uncover and emphasise that if was a lifetime ago and you have changed , you might get some brownie points for confronting it head on ...

also maybe let your employment agency know , then they can check before you go through the interview process if it will be an issue .

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3