What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

On 7/8/2023 at 1:23 PM, forcebwithu said:

Finished reviewing my CCTV recordings in the hope of catching a thief.

I was surprised to read an article on Pattaya News that had a picture of my neighbor's house and a small part of my house in the picture as well.

Fortunately I now have a security camera system that records the video from the cameras. One of the cameras points along the side of my house, but has the neighbor's house in the view as well.

One of the items stolen was a solar light, so it was easy enough to narrow down the day by looking at midnight night shots of that light to see when it disappeared. That happened on June 25th.

I then fast-forwarded through the early morning hours of the 25th and was able to record a timeline of when the light, along with outside electric conduit was removed. Unfortunately the light levels were too low to get a good shot of the thief to identify him.

Here's a YouTube vid I uploaded of the thief taking down the light. The light is in the far back, center of the video.

Interesting. 

I have thought about the vulnerabiltiy of outside systems for this reason. I don't care for camera systems for a number of reasons including the false sense of security associated with them. IMO they are almost useless unless they are discretly positioned. 

A quality motion sensor system with a loud alert I believe is the best route to go. A camera set up only records the event, no good if they are properly covered up. 

Camera systems that can be observed and defeated. They also indicate that there is more likely to be something of value within that justifies the risk they are taking.

I would beat that guys brains in with a baseball bat.

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

Interesting. 

I have thought about the vulnerabiltiy of outside systems for this reason. I don't care for camera systems for a number of reasons including the false sense of security associated with them. IMO they are almost useless unless they are discretly positioned. 

A quality motion sensor system with a loud alert I believe is the best route to go. A camera set up only records the event, no good if they are properly covered up. 

Camera systems that can be observed and defeated. They also indicate that there is more likely to be something of value within that justifies the risk they are taking.

I would beat that guys brains in with a baseball bat.

Don't think the guy has any brains to beat. He demonstrated that by going after a couple of items worth FA in view of the camera that's easily seen. He lucked out that he was in shadows so I couldn't get a clear pic of his face. That wouldn't be the case if I had been running in B/W mode at night as the resolution is much better. A setting I'll now change.

I agree CCTV can be easily defeated, and not much use after the fact even with a clear picture of the thief. By the time they're captured they've probably already sold off the valuables so not much hope of recovering what was stolen.

But what a visible CCTV system does do, in conjunction with a well lit property, is serve as a deterrent to would be thieves who tend to go after the easy pickings. My neighbor is prime example.

That house has sat unoccupied for a couple of years (and no way was there anything close to 200K worth of items in there that got stolen). The only thing the owner did to make the house a less inviting targe was put in a solar powered light in the back corner that ran out of juice by 3am. That was the only light for the entire property. No other lights as the owner was too cheap to pay a small amount of money each month to keep the place lit at night.

Contrast that with my house which has visible security cameras with motion detection that turns on bright LEDs, and if I wanted to, capable of issue verbal warnings. I also have two relatively bright lights on either side of the gate that are lit through out the night. Both serve to announce to passing traffic the house is occupied and protected, go find an easier target of which there are plenty.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just caught up with the F1, great race all around.

Time to take a walk, will be my first for some 9 days, so will do my short 2 mile route that takes me past my favourite pub.

Last day for booze for me as back to mid week give the liver a rest plan.

The sun is shining and it feels quite hot out there, so hopefully will be quite pleasant.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another gorgeous morning here in the boreal forest but with the unmistakeable smell of wood smoke - there are three fires burning presently within a hundred miles or so from here, two of which are in remote areas and one not so remote; but the air is still clear so it's time to get out and enjoy the day...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Don't think the guy has any brains to beat. He demonstrated that by going after a couple of items worth FA in view of the camera that's easily seen. He lucked out that he was in shadows so I couldn't get a clear pic of his face. That wouldn't be the case if I had been running in B/W mode at night as the resolution is much better. A setting I'll now change.

I agree CCTV can be easily defeated, and not much use after the fact even with a clear picture of the thief. By the time they're captured they've probably already sold off the valuables so not much hope of recovering what was stolen.

But what a visible CCTV system does do, in conjunction with a well lit property, is serve as a deterrent to would be thieves who tend to go after the easy pickings. My neighbor is prime example.

That house has sat unoccupied for a couple of years (and no way was there anything close to 200K worth of items in there that got stolen). The only thing the owner did to make the house a less inviting targe was put in a solar powered light in the back corner that ran out of juice by 3am. That was the only light for the entire property. No other lights as the owner was too cheap to pay a small amount of money each month to keep the place lit at night.

Contrast that with my house which has visible security cameras with motion detection that turns on bright LEDs, and if I wanted to, capable of issue verbal warnings. I also have two relatively bright lights on either side of the gate that are lit through out the night. Both serve to announce to passing traffic the house is occupied and protected, go find an easier target of which there are plenty.

Good lighting is absolute.

11 hours ago, Krapow said:

Looking out the window.

Biden just flew over. 

Looked like a few Chinooks and other huge helicopters, Marine One, fucking deafening. 

Those choppers are loaded to the gills with systems and weapons to the max. Stuff the public doesn't even know about. 

8C at 0530 - got all of my windows wide open to let the cool night air in before I shut them for another hot day; a fair bit of smoke in the air yesterday and this morning from a fire that is burning 32km down the highway from where I live:

358121222_659378429557415_1027672749438404290_n.jpg

• Sad 3

Personally I have never seen lightning strikes like this ever while here. Taken last Thursday, on the balcony of wifey's home. I am sure for those who have lived here a while perhaps have seen this, just not me to this extent. Pretty cool really. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Personally I have never seen lightning strikes like this ever while here. Taken last Thursday, on the balcony of wifey's home. I am sure for those who have lived here a while perhaps have seen this, just not me to this extent. Pretty cool really. 

Often times referred to as heat lightening. Pretty common sight when I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/what-is-heat-lightning-2980

At this time of year on warm, humid nights, the phenomenon known as “heat lightning” is very common. The sky will seem to flicker with light; and even on a seemingly clear night with stars, you may see flashes. No sound accompanies the flash, although if you are listening to an AM radio, you’ll hear crackles of static at the same time you see the flash.

What you’re likely seeing is the light from a distant thunderstorm that is located at too great of a distance for the thunder sound to be heard. The sound of thunder rarely travels more than 10 miles. Other cases can be explained by the refraction (or bending) of sound waves by bodies of air with different densities. An observer may see nearby lightning, but the sound from the discharge is refracted over their head by a change in the temperature, and therefore the density, of the air around him. As a result, the lightning discharge seems to be silent.

The term “heat lightning” probably comes from the fact that the effect is most often seen on warm, humid nights during July and August. So an association has been made with sultry temperatures. But when the sky is hazy, as is quite typical on warm, summer nights, the light from intense thunderstorms as far away as 100 miles can be reflected off a layer of haze and up into the night sky.

And that’s why you tend to see heat lightning as just a diffuse flash or flicker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1