What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

3 hours ago, boydeste said:

Waiting 10 mins before I am allowed to drive after my covid booster. 

I am going for mine next week. I hope they have the newer updated ones in stock. I'm not counting on it. I will also get my annual flu shot.

• Like 2

I thought some sort of response should be made in the form of a "Parsnip update".

Firstly you have to be aware that I am comparing them to my Mum's home grown, home cooked parsnips and those grown locally by Dorset market gardeners in the 50s and 60s and 70s before we went metric!

Secondly, you have to understand that if a parsnip looks beautiful it aint sweet and it aint tasty. It has to go through at least two hardy morning frosts to get that taste. When I say "morning frost" I'm not talking about the "snow" that is reported annually in Northern Thailand. I am talking about walking onto a football pitch early on a Sunday morning and the ground is like concrete...rock hard icy concrete that has cracked open. The sort of ground that makes you want to go back to bed, cuddle up and listen to Forces Favourites on the radio..

So on to the frozen parsnips I bought a few weeks ago.

Tasteless! They are from a company in Lancashire so I have no idea when they were planted and harvested. No sweetness nor depth of taste..Any taste.

As expected they are (of course) different sizes. Now I put the thick pieces in with a roast and the thinner pieces in the wave to mush them up a bit.

Bad news .. but I live in hope ..

• Sad 2

3C and snowing outside - it won't stay but once again it is hampering my yard efforts. We had two decent days in-between the inclement weather and yesterday I took my old Mercedes out for a good run, visiting the next small community northwest on the Alaska Highway which is @100 miles away - did it in under an hour and a half easily cruising at 80-90mph  the whole way without a cop in sight. I haven't driven it much this summer and still had last year's gas (petrol for most of you, I guess) in it so wanted to burn that off before refilling it and parking it for the winter, which I was able to do when I got home - I'd seen this crap weather forecast and figured I'd better get it put away clean and dry while I could. I stopped into a local pub while I was there and ran into an old friend I hadn't seen for about fifteen years so it was a short but pleasant visit before I headed home again, seeing a lovely bull elk cross the road in front of me at one spot.

rsz_32kookatsoon2.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

On the train to the hospice in Esher. Gonna be staying there every night and getting the train back in the morning for work.

Don’t like leaving Jan alone so am spending as much time as I can with her.

The staff are amazing, but I know she needs me.

You're a good man Gal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After trying to deal with Microsoft Windows 10/then 11 in S mode for about 2 years, I finally decided to switch out of S Mode and use Chrome as my default browser. I know it is a one way deal, but I found that I couldn't download apps I needed; in fact I even had problems downloading an app which is shown as OK in Microsoft Store, kept telling me it wasn't approved yet I was just trying to install an approved app shown on their store.

I use Chrome in all my other devices and with syncing on it works so much better for me.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2

A large area of Pattaya has been without Internet all day. (3BB and True at least)..So I'm just catching up on internet "jobs" (Banking, footie, Skype etc.) Good wins for Leeds and Bristol City !!

I utilized the down time by doing laundry and attacking my tree with a saw...the tree won!

Then just wanking and drinking ... but it just aint the same without internet ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Did you lose internet today ??

On a couple of days this past week I've found my internet connection down. But in each case doing a power off/on on the router restored the connection.

My tech knowledge doesn't extend to the mysterious inner workings of a router and internet connections, so have no idea what my ISP, True did overnight to cause me to lose the connection.

Something that's handy to have is a data plan on a mobile. For the infrequent times I lose my fibre connection for longer than a few minutes I can switch over to using my mobile as a portable hotspot. It also means I don't have to mess around with WiFi connections when out and about.

• Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

The benefits of having a wife, who works for the NHS, is that she gets discounts on certain products etc via her Blue Light Card.

Today, I received her ESSO petrol card which I can now use in all ESSO Garages UK wide. I just give over the card, input the PIN number and I get 3p off every litre of petrol. Not massive but probably saves £1.68 (based on 56L tank) each fill up. Over a year it will save a bit, around £60, every little helps.

Although it is her card, it is linked to my credit card so I just hand over the card for payment. Anybody with a partner who has a Blue Light card can apply for the same deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Just pissing myself laughing whilst watching Tipping Point on ITV.  Question was 'who was the US President when the Berlin Wall fell'. The guy wasn't sure so passed to the girl named Anu, who believed it was Abraham Lincoln, nearly fell off my chair. 

Admittedly, the girl was about 30 years of age but Lincoln, gave me a laugh.

By the way, it was George Bush (senior).

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

A large area of Pattaya has been without Internet all day. (3BB and True at least)..So I'm just catching up on internet "jobs" (Banking, footie, Skype etc.) Good wins for Leeds and Bristol City !!

I utilized the down time by doing laundry and attacking my tree with a saw...the tree won!

Then just wanking and drinking ... but it just aint the same without internet ....

Did you have some old Sears and Roebuck catalog hidden somewhere for emergency wank stash ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

Today's weather:

Snow at times mixed with ice pellets changing to rain this afternoon. Snow and ice pellet amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind south 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 7.

Looks like another pub day - thankfully we had a nice day yesterday and I managed to get lots done in my yard while I could; pretty well caught up now other than cleaning up fallen leaves and a lot of that may have to wait until spring the way our weather is going these days. 

An interesting effect out there now - instead of having a clean expanse of fresh snow, it's all polka-dotted with fallen leaves:

rsz_img_2114.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Surprised 3

7 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Today's weather:

Snow at times mixed with ice pellets changing to rain this afternoon. Snow and ice pellet amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind south 30 km/h gusting to 50. High 7.

Looks like another pub day - thankfully we had a nice day yesterday and I managed to get lots done in my yard while I could; pretty well caught up now other than cleaning up fallen leaves and a lot of that may have to wait until spring the way our weather is going these days. 

An interesting effect out there now - instead of having a clean expanse of fresh snow, it's all polka-dotted with fallen leaves:

rsz_img_2114.jpg 

Dam Gord, is it normal even in your area to get this much snowfall this early in October? 

Get me a "prozac" I would be depressed LOL! 

• Haha 2