What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

9 hours ago, Stillearly said:

was Kay's Catalogue in the U.K. , with one finger in the sports section ready to flip quickly in case anyone came in ....  555

hmmmmm. I'll have to order one of those. It might come in hand handy the next time the wifi goes kaput.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Dam Gord, is it normal even in your area to get this much snowfall this early in October? 

Get me a "prozac" I would be depressed LOL! 

Oh yeah, nothing unusual here - I've seen it snow like this as early as Labour Day weekend; most of yesterday's snow has melted off already and the next few days are forecast to be much warmer. I guess commuter traffic was pandemonium yesterday morning, with vehicles spinning out on all of the hills in and out of town, glad I don't have to put up with that anymore; add in the fact that we are apparently the fastest-growing community in Canada, with most of the newcomers arriving from India, it seems, and you have to realize that a lot of these people have probably never even seen snow before and they drive badly enough without it! 

I attended a memorial for one of the regulars at a neighbourhood local the night before the snow, and these two friends of mine decided to leave their bikes behind - not sure if they were aware of the weather forecast or not!

rsz_img_2116.jpg

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Just watched the WC gymnastics... Simone Biles comes out of retirement to win gold again .... amazing athlete 

She is incredible.

Watching the quarter finals of the English open, Ding is throwing his dummy out of the pram because a rooky form China is beating him. Ref gave him a warning to behave. Don't see that very often in the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, boydeste said:

She is incredible.

Watching the quarter finals of the English open, Ding is throwing his dummy out of the pram because a rooky form China is beating him. Ref gave him a warning to behave. Don't see that very often in the game.

Was watching the Rugby but so one sided , so switched to the darts 🎯... so much sport to choose from 😂

• Like 3

Just got back from having my flu jab. Meant to have my Covid jab next Saturday but they asked me if I wanted it today, so had that as well. Slight headache but nothing  paracetamol can't fix. No pain in arms or other side effects.

Walking into town shortly to visit the Food Fair in Neath town centre. Supposedly, this is a good fair with local cheesemakers, the FelinFoel brewery and wine makers showing their wares. 

May have a drink today.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Walking into town shortly to visit the Food Fair in Neath town centre. Supposedly, this is a good fair with local cheesemakers, the FelinFoel brewery and wine makers showing their wares. 

Blessed are the cheesemakers ... and any other manufacturers of dairy products that may be there too !!

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a good look but so many people standing around blocking every path, has seen me head for the 'Spoon'. 

Almost a bad move as Wales are playing Rugby and trying to find a seat in a Neath pub while Wales are playing has proved difficult. Luckily I don't really follow Rugby, so I got a single seat, away from the screens, staring at a few lovely ladies who, also, don't seem interested in the Rugby.

A nice pint of Daleside Monkey Wrench (5.3%).

Lovely.

IMG20231007144107.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Reading/checking my sons school homework that has to be handed in on Monday. 
I was never any good at Math but he seems to have it down pat as every answer was spot on. 
He’s just finished writing a piece called “ a day in the trenches” as part of his history homework and I have to say it bought a lump to my throat when I read it. 
All the information for this tome was gleaned from the internet. Where would kids be without it I wonder. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Been out to help my mate with his pond pump, he removed it to clean, then couldn't get it back together again. I rocked up, see that he had assembled it 180 degrees out, put it right and Bobs your uncle.

Did a short walk for some much needed exercise , then stopped off for a couple of pints, first up was Butcomb followed by a porter of some sorts. The plan was to pick up a curry on the way home. Unfortunately there was an hour waiting so a stop off at another pub was in order for a pint of Old Original. 

Now home having eaten my Vindaloo watching TV whilst enjoying a nice bottle of red.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, KhunDon said:

All the information for this tome was gleaned from the internet. Where would kids be without it I wonder. 

Reading Encyclopaedias and visiting the Library .. the old internet 

I had these at home when I was a kid , my Dad got them cheap from an auction , our edition was from the 1920's iirc  🙂 

IMG_6229.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I had these at home when I was a kid , my Dad got them cheap from an auction , our edition was from the 1920's iirc  🙂 

IMG_6229.jpeg

Back then a cost of a set of those were beyond many parents reach, mine included. 😟

We did have a library close bye which we used most weeks. 🤗

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stillearly said:

IMG_6229.jpeg

We had them too when i was a kid, Dad bought them from a door to door salesman, they never ever got read but they looked impressive lol 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Back then a cost of a set of those were beyond many parents reach, mine included. 😟

We did have a library close bye which we used most weeks. 🤗

Dead tree copies are so old school. Remember when encylopedia's were released on CD? And then Al Gore invented the Internet and made CD's redundant.

2023-05-16-image.webp

https://www.techspot.com/article/2672-microsoft-encarta/
In 1985, the CD-ROM was announced, offering hundreds of megabytes of read-only memory in a compact disc format. Grolier quickly issued a text-only version of the Academic American Encyclopedia for $200. It sounded like a bargain compared to the $650 print version, but a CD-ROM player alone would cost more than that at the time.

Two important developments came in the late 1980s: sound cards, which allowed any PC to play audio that didn't sound like a series of beeps, and the Video Graphics Array (VGA) display standard, which supported up to 256 colors at the same time (just enough for GIF images).

On the first day of 1990, Britannica released Compton's Multimedia Encyclopedia, with speeches, music and "animated images" (it was still too early for video), for $895, or $200 more than the print version. By 1992, both the New Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia and Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia included video for $395.

Microsoft was late to the party with its own encyclopedia. Having failed to acquire the rights to Encyclopaedia Britannica or the World Book Encyclopedia, Encarta was released in early 1993, based on the Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedia, for the same price as its competitors. While Compton's and Grolier offered steep discounts to owners of previous versions, it had no chance to gain a significant market share.

Taking Over the World
Nearing the end of 1993, Microsoft Encarta pricing was reduced to $99 for the holiday season. By the end of the year, it had become the best-selling CD encyclopedia with 350,000 copies. The price was never raised again, and the 1994 Edition was quickly released.

• Great Info 1

I'm just back from PBG. It took about an hour to walk there via the Sunday market and Post Office. I had walked too much Friday and Saturday so my bum muscles were hurting a bit so it was more like a flounce than a walk!!

Anyway. I skulled 3 x 0.5ltres of draught Leffe Brune and the strangest thing happened to me !!! I decided to pay using my card and the girl asked me to write down my PIN !!! I want to make this absolutely clear that I trust PBG and its employees and I know that they saw I had difficulty walking ... but who the f**k hands over a debit card and PIN?? 

• Haha 3
  • Surprised 2