What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

32 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Maybe it's a positve sign,

Someone from your old work recognised you were a decent worker and recommened you? 

Jade the HR lady did say she would give me a great reference, and she appreciated I’m going through a difficult time.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, galenkia said:

Jade the HR lady did say she would give me a great reference, and she appreciated I’m going through a difficult time.

Sacking and giving a good reference at the same time is questionable behaviour. Unless she used a different term than "sack".

HR are not my favourite people, often making judgements without having the capacity to be impartial.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Zambo said:

Sacking and giving a good reference at the same time is questionable behaviour. Unless she used a different term than "sack".

HR are not my favourite people, often making judgements without having the capacity to be impartial.

She really did not want to sack me, but company policy left her with no choice. The word she used was dismiss. Same with the manager, he didn’t want to lose me but had to follow company policy.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, galenkia said:

She really did not want to sack me, but company policy left her with no choice. The word she used was dismiss. Same with the manager, he didn’t want to lose me but had to follow company policy.

Sad to hear it came to that. They should have at least given you the option to resign instead of face dismissal.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Just checked in on the old "what are you doing now" topic and still not working. Good idea @fygjam for starting a new topic.

I think that maybe for forum software has a threshold for the maximum number of posts or pages allowed on a certain topic. The old thread has 19,725 replies to it (working on 25 per page). I have seen this on another forum, but no idea if it's the same software or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

They give this option to our staff for those that fail the alcohol and drug tests otherwise they are sacked.

I had an employee who told me he was going to fail a random drug test because of marijuana.  I told him to get out of the building and go buy me a box of disks at the computer warehouse across town.  He was a damn good software engineer.

The testing staff, which included the center director's boss said they knew what I did and they'd be back to retest him in 30 days.  The day came, he told me he'd fail again, I told him to write me his resignation letter and leave.  He'd have been fired if he went through the test.

Edited by tko
  • Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

They give this option to our staff for those that fail the alcohol and drug tests otherwise they are sacked.

Yes that makes sense. If they let you resign then they can also give a good reference. But if they sack/dismiss/fire you it seems unreasonable to also recommend you to a future employer.

There are a few neutral terms such as let you go, release you, retire. But sack is not good.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Sad to hear it came to that. They should have at least given you the option to resign instead of face dismissal.

They really wanted to keep me, but they had to go with company policy as their job dictated.

it’s just been a difficult time for me recently so I’ve been very stressed out.

Personally it doesn’t matter, there is a ton of work out there for people with my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

14 minutes ago, galenkia said:

I’m done here, just got too much much going on in my personal life I need to deal with.

Don't dismiss the support you have here mate. You have spent time with many of us.

We have been through similar times and as tough as it is, you will prevail. 

Good luck Al.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Butch said:

I think that maybe for forum software has a threshold for the maximum number of posts or pages allowed on a certain topic. The old thread has 19,725 replies to it (working on 25 per page). I have seen this on another forum, but no idea if it's the same software or not.

It's a good thought, but I don't think it's the case with the old topic. There were posts in the topic after I reported the problem I was experiencing. Then a day or two later others started reporting the same. If there were a limit to the number of posts it would have affected everyone at the same time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Just back from a walk up on hin lek fai,observation of those pesky monkeys is a nice way to spend an hour or so while waiting for the washing machine to finish,and the views up here are great.

1000038068.jpg1000038065.jpg1000038063.jpg1000038052.jpg1000038061.jpg1000038062.jpg1000038060.jpg

The farther away I can stay from monkeys, the happier I am - nasty little creatures.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 hours ago, galenkia said:

I’m done here, just got too much much going on in my personal life I need to deal with.

When I posted this I was just struggling to deal with things in my head. My life is a mess at the moment, trying to deal with my sister dying and my own mental health issues. There really is so much wrong in my life at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 1