What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

I transferred all of my stuff from my old suitcase to my recently purchased one in readiness for my return journey and added some more fishing bait and condoms!

What are they, never heard of them?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Just got back from Central World in BKK with a new charger for my laptop....& lo & behold it's 3 pin plug needs an adaptor for my hotels sockets....ffs!

So now off to Robinsons to get one....I guess TiT!

I always bring one of these, with just one Thai plug. 

Saves fucking about.

shopping.webp

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Hope they were able to repair this okay - we used similar quick setup shelters that worked beautifully when every thing was straight on them...

I wish I had pics from when an ice storm wrecked a 3 mile long line of wooden power poles. Snapped them like fcuking toothpics.

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I wish I had pics from when an ice storm wrecked a 3 mile long line of wooden power poles. Snapped them like fcuking toothpics.

Thankfully we don't have the environmental conditions where I live that cause these massive ice storms and snowfalls- all that humidity coming off of the Great Lakes can create havoc. 

18 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Thankfully we don't have the environmental conditions where I live that cause these massive ice storms and snowfalls- all that humidity coming off of the Great Lakes can create havoc. 

Worst weather event I have ever witnessed, by far.

Been out with a mate all afternoon, we had dinner and a few pints, he went home to smoke a joint then sleep. I went for a walk and called into a pub for another pint.

Now home with my feet up and a 1.5litre bottle of Black Stump wine that I had forgot I had. 

An evening of snooker it is then.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Hope they were able to repair this okay - we used similar quick setup shelters that worked beautifully when every thing was straight on them...

The spliced cores hadn't been put into the cassettes yet and some got damaged by the gazebo frame as it collapsed. They had to resplice a few cores.

The gazebo was beyond repair. We were working within a fenced of construction site and in the end we were able to remove a section of fencing to bring in a work vehicle that had a side awning attached. This allowed the jointers to keep splicing while it was still raining.

IMG_5888.jpeg

Edited by thegrogmonster
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

The spliced cores hadn't been put into the cassettes yet and some got damaged by the gazebo frame as it collapsed. They had to resplice a few cores.

The gazebo was beyond repair. We were working within a fenced of construction site and in the end we were able to remove a section of fencing to bring in a work vehicle that had a side awning attached. This allowed the jointers to keep splicing while it was still raining.

IMG_5888.jpeg

Yes, you do what you have to so the job gets done. We were set up pretty well from the beginning when fibre started being used in the north, we had a cube van (freight van with 16' box) set up just for splicing and we could do almost everything with this rig - the only time we had to put up temporary shelters was when we couldn't get the van into the location or if we were working at both ends of a section. The only disadvantage of the van was that for bigger jobs lasting more than a day, we'd have to leave the rig in situ and get a ride back and forth from it, so eventually they replaced it with a tandem axle enclosed trailer that could be detached and left in place. Here's me in the van back in 2003:

rsz_gvffiber2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^
I miss the days when I could do that kind of detail work without the need for reading glasses.

I was wearing contact lenses - I managed with them exclusively for around eighteen years until my short range vision began to deteriorate with age; I still wear them occasionally depending on what I am doing but need to carry reading glasses or similar with me if I do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On the new Elizabeth Line to Heathrow.

It's very nice, very smooth, but also plagued with delays, so shitting myself a but every time it takes a bit longer to move on from a station. 

Only 2 stations let now, phew!

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

^^^
I miss the days when I could do that kind of detail work without the need for reading glasses.

The machine does it. Hail to the machine.

Edited by fygjam