What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Just been offered a permanent job 10 minutes walk from my house. Working for a company that refurbishes tech like phones and tablets etc. Start next Monday and good money as well. I got offered the top end of the salary scale due to my experience.

Well happy!.

Forgot to say, it's 25 days holiday,all Bank holiday, plus 9 religious days!

They shut down on religious festivals day's and you get paid.🤣

Congrats mate, perseverance pays off. 

• Thanks 1

Just got sat down for the evening, been a busy day shopping and visiting my aunt and uncle, both in their 80s now and struggling to get about a bit. Their daughter and husband dropped in too which was nice, hadn't seen them since the last family funeral.

I have a golf day tomorrow with my old work mates, so have decided not to take a walk this evening. Been a while since I last rested the pins.

A night catching up on TV is in order, although I haven't got too much recorded to go at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

Just been offered a permanent job 10 minutes walk from my house. Working for a company that refurbishes tech like phones and tablets etc. Start next Monday and good money as well. I got offered the top end of the salary scale due to my experience.

Well happy!.

Forgot to say, it's 25 days holiday,all Bank holiday, plus 9 religious days!

They shut down on religious festivals day's and you get paid.🤣

Excellent news ...... but I bet that over the last month you took my advice and greeted the lone magpie correctly ....

• Thumbs Up 1

At long last I persuaded my 92yo mother to give me financial lasting power of attorney so got it all signed & sent off today.

According to the website it takes 20 weeks to process....20 fucking weeks!....OK there's about 20 pages & each one needs an official stamp so one stamp per week....I guess it's civil servants working from home....or not working more likely.

And they charge £82 for the privilege.

• Surprised 1

Having a good chuckle seeing a  hash friend has made the news.

They had a hash run on Koh Larn on Sunday. He went off trail and ended up sliding down a steep slope. Crawled back up to where several Thai came upon him. They summoned the rescue squad and bundled him off to the hospital to get patched up. By then then the boat hired by the hash had left with his bag and all his money, and on top of that, the last ferry of the day had left too. The Thai organized a private boat for him, got him back to Pattaya where he was met by the Tourist Police who gave him a ride back to his hotel; all gratis. The Thai really came through helping him out. Well done on their part. 👍👣

image.png

https://www.facebook.com/Thepattayanews/posts/1197959664288374

• Like 5
  • Great Info 2

7 hours ago, coxyhog said:

At long last I persuaded my 92yo mother to give me financial lasting power of attorney so got it all signed & sent off today.

According to the website it takes 20 weeks to process....20 fucking weeks!....OK there's about 20 pages & each one needs an official stamp so one stamp per week....I guess it's civil servants working from home....or not working more likely.

And they charge £82 for the privilege.

That's just plain crazy - when I went in to my mother's bank here in Canada @2005 or so, accompanied by her when she still had most of her marbles, we had it signed and sealed within half an hour for no charge at all - not only did I get Power of Attorney but the bank rep also added me to her accounts as a joint holder which really made things easier when I started renovating her house after she went into care - maybe I was just lucky at the time but it couldn't have been easier. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

This morning I syphoned off a bit of my pineapple wine for tasting. It is quite "sharp" so I've been trialing it mixed with Sato....

At the moment I am bloody sure it would make Orville "fly right up to the sky" !!!

Many years ago I went through a period of brewing my own wine. I bought all the right gear, demijohns, wine bottles labels etc etc. I followed all the instructions making sure everything was absolutely clean and sterile.

Result....................red or white it all seemed to taste the same with a faintly metallic twang.

After a few months I  stopped bothering to bottle it and just drunk it straight from the demijohn.

Finally, I tried brewing "Scrumpy" cider from a kit and ended up with two demijohns with "Scrumpy" labels fixed to them. I then hosted a Sunday night card session with three mates having told them I had been given a couple of gallons of West Country Scrumpy.

My mate "Woody" tried the first pint, screwed up his face  and said

"Dan, this is worse than that wine you used to brew!"

Didn't stop him drinking it and we had to get him a taxi to take him home. 🤣

I expect the kits have improved since those days.

54 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I expect the kits have improved since those days.

It was a fad in the 70s wasn't it. It certainly was in Catterick anyway!!

....Boots sold wine kits..in fact it seemed that everybody was selling it.. and I too bought all the "proper gear"...

Nowadays I just use the plastic 6 litre water bottles and bugger all else!!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Just finished this brilliant new crime drama on the BBC iPlayer. About two murders and their link to bad blood from the days of the miner's strike.

Hahaha ..I can't stop thinking about the beginning of each episode of "The Saint" with Roger Moore as Simon Templar..

"My name's Sherwood....Tim Sherwood" Then the halo above his head would appear followed by .."de doodley do do do" ...

Perhaps the pineapple wine is stronger than I thought..

• Haha 1

Just found out two things today.

Firstly, I listen to Radio BBC Wales every day between 1100 and 1400 and I love this guy, Wynne Evans. He is so funny and is so popular and it has taken me until today to realise who he actually is, I was surprised. Over the months it was obvious he had an operatic voice and plays concerts occasionally but today I found out he is also famous for being the 'GoCompare.com' guy. For most here they won't know who I mean but the links will give a little bit more detail for our UK members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynne_Evans

The second thing I found out today is something of Welsh Historical importance (for some). My brother is coming to celebrate a birthday this weekend and is staying at the Castle Hotel in town (Neath). It is the oldest hotel and probably the best hotel around, very old and lovely inside. Anyhow, as I went inside to reception I noticed a plaque outside that informed me that the first ever meeting to form the Welsh Rugby Union took place inside the hotel in 1881. I was quite interested as that is a piece of history to the folks in the valleys. There is also a Catherine Jenkins suite above reception as well but for Rugby fans the historical fact is probably more important. Now, again for our non UK members, Catherine Jenkins is a product of Neath, a lovely operatic singer acclaimed around the world.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:42 PM, Derek Dangleberries said:

It was a fad in the 70s wasn't it. It certainly was in Catterick anyway!!

....Boots sold wine kits..in fact it seemed that everybody was selling it.. and I too bought all the "proper gear"...

Nowadays I just use the plastic 6 litre water bottles and bugger all else!!

There is a shop in my local Center that does a starter "brew your own wine kit" for about 50 pounds.

I gave very serious thought to having a go for old times sake.

Then I saw an advert in the Daily Tory from their wine club. Twelve bottles of assorted reds plus a magnum of Valencia Grand Reserva (?)  for 59.88 plus postage.

f**k the wine kit. 🤣

• Haha 4

On 7/6/2022 at 8:57 PM, Horizondave said:

There is also a Catherine Jenkins suite above reception as well but for Rugby fans the historical fact is probably more important. Now, again for our non UK members, Catherine Jenkins is a product of Neath, a lovely operatic singer acclaimed around the world.

Katherine Jenkins is an incredible vocalist whether singing opera or not. Pretty sure she has had 12 or 13 number 1 albums in her career. That is some feat for a female singer.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, boydeste said:

It's a beautiful day here and I am stuck inside waiting for several deliveries to arrive. At least I was able to schedule them all for the same day.

Here in Singapore they can just leave outside at the shoe rack or door step. Zero chance of loss or theft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zambo said:

Here in Singapore they can just leave outside at the shoe rack or door step. Zero chance of loss or theft. 

I have taken in 3 so far and the last one is 7 stops away. All 4 are from companies that will leave the parcel at the door, then just take a picture to prove where it was left.

Whilst we generally don't suffer from petty theft around here, I would still rather be here to receive them as a couple are quite expensive. It has been known for a driver to take a picture, then pick the parcel back up and put it back into his van.

Edited by boydeste
  • Surprised 1

My brother is in town and walking had to happen. As much as I try to do around 10000 steps at least 3 times a week, today we outdid ourselves and at least 4000 of these were uphill. Just got back so looking forward to a beer.

Screenshot_2022-07-08-17-21-28-84_e3c9b3b2f1312fb6287cff465e1c4bd0.jpg

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

I have taken in 3 so far and the last one is 7 stops away. All 4 are from companies that will leave the parcel at the door, then just take a picture to prove where it was left.

Whilst we generally don't suffer from petty theft around here, I would still rather be here to receive them as a couple are quite expensive. It has been known for a driver to take a picture, then pick the parcel back up and put it back into his van.

Hermes are the worst, fucking awful company.

• Like 1