What did you learn today?

fygjam

49 minutes ago, Zambo said:

20240210_155303.jpg

Just come back from the shops. Just part of the cheese range in a singapore supermarket is shown here.

When i first travelled overseas for work i was based in Africa. We used to freeze bacon and cheese a couple of days before flying back, wrap in newspaper and then pack in our checked baggage. For the last 20 years in asia the cheese selection has been gradually improving and most countries have selections nearly as good as back home.

It's been a good day for learning new words. Just added "artisanal" to my vocabulary. I'll just have to be careful on my syllabification:default_biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

That I need to get to Wetherspoon early today as the 4.45pm kick off of England v Wales will fill up the pub. Probably be there about 2.45pm and meet the wife from work, probably out the door by the start of the game, not really an interest for me.

Some nice brews on.

Screenshot_2024-02-10-12-36-13-42_37532534644cad840a93bfbe58717d93.jpg

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have learnt that Cambodian funerals are much quieter affair than the Thai counterpart. Dirge like music prevails. 20.00 and all is quiet.

It  is quite strange listening to a Khmer funeral dirge in the right ear and the western music blaring from the bars on Sok San road in the left.

Something different eh?

On 2/13/2024 at 11:25 AM, karon steve said:

I have learnt that Cambodian funerals are much quieter affair than the Thai counterpart. Dirge like music prevails. 20.00 and all is quiet.

It  is quite strange listening to a Khmer funeral dirge in the right ear and the western music blaring from the bars on Sok San road in the left.

Something different eh?

They were beating the hell out of the drums last night up here in the nearby Temple. Must be the end of Lunar New Year.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps someone can teach me something new today. In the article below Rebecca Ferguson has the following quote.

“I remember being so scared and I looked at this person and I said, ‘You can F off. I’m going to work towards a tennis ball. I never want to see you again,’” she recalled saying.

What does the saying "I’m going to work towards a tennis ball" mean?

Rebecca Ferguson praised by former costars for speaking out against ‘idiot’ castmate

54 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Perhaps someone can teach me something new today. In the article below Rebecca Ferguson has the following quote.

What does the saying "I’m going to work towards a tennis ball" mean?

Rebecca Ferguson praised by former costars for speaking out against ‘idiot’ castmate

“I looked at this person and I said: ‘You can eff off. I’m going to work towards a tennis ball,’” she recalled, apparently referring to the practice of acting against a tennis ball in scenes that will later have computer graphics added.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/rebecca-ferguson-slams-idiot-celeb-235430881.html?guccounter=1

Yesterday, Shazam! Fury of the Gods director David F. Sandberg tweeted a fun behind the scenes image from his upcoming film. It was of a unicorn-like stuffy head, complete with a tennis ball covering the pointy end of the unicorn’s horn.

While it may have been placed there for (obvious) safety reasons, tennis balls are actually quite a common sight on film sets, often for more than just protecting actor and crew members from sharp pieces of kit. Tennis balls regularly serve as ‘stand-ins’ for the eyelines of creatures of characters which might be added in later in CG by a visual effects studio. Plus, tennis balls have, over the years, played an important role in acting as tracking markers around interior and exterior sets.

https://beforesandafters.com/2023/03/04/meet-the-true-unsung-hero-of-visual-effects-the-tennis-ball/#:~:text=Tennis balls regularly serve as,around interior and exterior sets.

Now I learnt something today as well.

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to like eating Putsah in Katiseree whilst drinking chang and watching the foot traffic. Putsah are small Thai green apples with a slight pear taste to them. I have also been known for eating them at the bar in The Sportsman drinking their draught wine whilst chatting to the girls and getting them to add a tad more into the glass each time.....

Also whenever dates were either unavailable or out of my price range I would buy Lotus's Chinese red dates..much cheaper and with the same consequences that the FBMA would be proud of!!

This morning M'Lady had a bag of Putsah and a carton of Chinese red dates which I thought was highly coincidental.....

Today I learnt that they are the same thing!!! Chinese red dates are just Putsah that have been dried out in the sun !!!

9 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I used to like eating Putsah in Katiseree whilst drinking chang and watching the foot traffic. Putsah are small Thai green apples with a slight pear taste to them. I have also been known for eating them at the bar in The Sportsman drinking their draught wine whilst chatting to the girls and getting them to add a tad more into the glass each time.....

Also whenever dates were either unavailable or out of my price range I would buy Lotus's Chinese red dates..much cheaper and with the same consequences that the FBMA would be proud of!!

This morning M'Lady had a bag of Putsah and a carton of Chinese red dates which I thought was highly coincidental.....

Today I learnt that they are the same thing!!! Chinese red dates are just Putsah that have been dried out in the sun !!!

I was reading that and expecting a conclusion that would prove something that i have been trying to promote for a while. Unfortunately no.

But that won't stop me. My (even better) conclusion is that green apples eaten with dates is a remarkable taste combination.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:13 PM, forcebwithu said:

^^^ Thanks for that. On the subject of other uses for tennis balls...

https://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/how-to/14-new-uses-for-old-tennis-balls-0138377/

634792025938567389.jpg

When fishing in Spain for the huge catfish, we cut a cross in a tennis ball and wedge it on the butt end of the fishing rod.

This stops severe bruising of the groin.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Zambo said:

I was reading that and expecting a conclusion that would prove something that i have been trying to promote for a while. Unfortunately no.

But that won't stop me. My (even better) conclusion is that green apples eaten with dates is a remarkable taste combination.

Peanut butter on green apples, substitute the raisins with dates, and you have an even more remarkable taste combination.

Peanut Butter Apple Nachos

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Peanut butter on green apples, substitute the raisins with dates, and you have an even more remarkable taste combination.

Peanut Butter Apple Nachos

image.jpeg

This looks good but don't think it will work as stated. You need "runny peanut butter" to drizzle onto the apples, i never see runny - just crunchy or smooth. But i guess the way would be just to scoop up crunchy peanutbutter with the apple slices.

apple-slices-with-peanut-butter-snack-recipe-1.webp

Edited by Zambo
Google insights helpfully jumped in with the photo
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, boydeste said:

When fishing in Spain for the huge catfish, we cut a cross in a tennis ball and wedge it on the butt end of the fishing rod.

This stops severe bruising of the groin.

And the other half of the tennis ball to protect the family jewels ...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I've been watching a BBC Sounds sporting history video about the 6 wheel Elf-Tyrrell

I hadn't realised the 6 wheeler with Jody Scheckter driving had won the 1976 Swedish Grand Prix.

My close up experience of the car was my 6 wheel scalextric Tyrrell of around the same time which had less success and used to wear out braids at an alarming rate.