Self-Entitled Phone Users

forcebwithu

You can probably guess which way I lean when someone asks not to be recorded and the self-entitled phone owner ignores the request. What prompted this is this article.

Dave Chappelle abruptly ends show, walks off stage after fan pulls out phone during Florida gig

"The “Half Baked” actor alerted the man to security before scolding the audience and walking off the stage, shaking his head disappointedly, the outlet added.

The venue’s policy is that “device and electronics free, per the artist’s request,” meaning anything that could be used to record Chappelle’s set should have been out of sight for the duration of the show, according to Hard Rock Live’s website.

Fans are required to leave their electronics, such as cellphones, smartwatches, and cameras, secured in Yondr neoprene pouches to prevent noisy guests from recording the performance."

The comments in the article make for interesting reading. Several commenters believe it's somehow their god given right to record a performance, even when the artist has made it clear they don't want recording devices used.

The only comments I can somewhat agree with are the ones that state Chappelle went too far in canceling his performance because some douche bag decided the rules didn't apply to him.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

[...]

The only comments I can somewhat agree with are the ones that state Chappelle went too far in canceling his performance because some douche bag decided the rules didn't apply to him.

It is the only way to make it stick and it is also up to the other members of the audience to correct offenders. And right now that offender can probably face several law suits from other audience members. May the idiot learn from it (and may other idiots learn from the example).

• Like 2

There's an interesting thread on an Angeles based forum, relating to a Vlogger who got 'assaulted' by a Korean manager.

It appears the Vlogger was walking down the middle of Fields (main bar area), panning right and left but getting everyone in view and a Korean manager, at the door of his bar, asked the guy to respect privacy and stop filming. Well, Vlogger believed his rights meant he could keep filming, which he did, protesting his rights, which ensured a physical reaction.

Maybe not same, but for me, phones and, perceived rights of their owners, can be very intrusive.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On a recent flight from Dubai to London, there was a woman on the plane taking a panoramic video of passengers on the plane with her Smart Phone which included myself. 

Not that I have anything to hide but I viewd it as an invasion of mine and everyone else's  privacy. 

Maybe I should have tackled her but what can you do apart from snatch the phone and stamp on it. 

These days, people seem to take it for granted because they can.

In general,it is polite to ask someone first before taking their picture, especially if they are not immediate friends. 

Same with some of the vloggers in Pattaya who go around videoing bars full of tourists which then ends up on YouTube or Social media. 

49 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

On a recent flight from Dubai to London, there was a woman on the plane taking a panoramic video of passengers on the plane with her Smart Phone which included myself. 

Not that I have anything to hide but I viewd it as an invasion of mine and everyone else's  privacy. 

Maybe I should have tackled her but what can you do apart from snatch the phone and stamp on it. 

In general,it is polite to ask someone first before taking their picture, especially if they are not immediate friends. 

Same with some of the vloggers in Pattaya who go around videoing bars full of tourists which then ends up on YouTube or Social media. 

Travel vloggers are always doing this. I don't mind personally as the last few times I've been on an Aircraft I've had to wear a mask (not the gimp type) so kind of not recogniseable, but yeah, the last thing I want on an Aircraft is some twat filming me.

The argument they use is that if you're in public then you shouldn't expect any privacy. If you're on the public streets then that's fair comment, but if you're in a privately owned premises which the public have access to, then it may be different.

I think it's a sign of the times. Even my Mrs will do a panoramic sweep of either the Hotel lobby where she's staying, the plane she's on or the place she is, then fire it off to me or my daughter. It doesn't enter the public domain though and I've told her not to ,because it's a pretty good scenario to draw attention to yourself and get your phone swiped.

I look forward to the day when a vlogger pushes his luck, then gets a kicking for not respecting someone's polite request.

• Like 2

Christy Moore's being doing it for years, well before mobile phones. Just people talking too loud of whatever during a concert.

This one's brilliant -

lol.png

Ireland's beloved Christy Moore told some of the louder members of the audience where to go during his gig in Vicar Street.

"I'd like to apologise to anybody sitting near to those wa**kers on the balcony there," Christy says to the audience.

He looks up towards the balcony , saying: "I don't know if you can hear me, but I can hear you all night. Get your money back and fu**k off!"

https://www.sundayworld.com/videos/get-your-money-back-and-fuk-off-christy-moore-having-none-of-it-during-his-gig/41106913.html

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 2

At my daughter's school, the headmistress advises that videos, photos can be taken during any concerts, events etc., but not to upload them to social media, use only for personal use.

Same should apply to Vloggers, no law against filming (in many places) but the moment it is uploaded to social media, it may be restricted because consent has not been sort. We have probably all done it, but is it lawful, especially if later somebody complains.

I even think that GDPR laws allow EU citizens when in another country to expect privacy from being filmed if requiring privacy. There are even Vlogger sites that specifically cover the multitude of pitfalls that Vlogging brings with it.

The main thing for me is, if somebody does not wish their image to be recorded, even in a public place, then commonsense says you should respect that privacy view and desist from carrying on filming against someone's will.

I once had a guy in a bar in LK Metro try to take a photo of my wife, (just happened to look fabulous) the guy believed he had the right to put a camera in my wife's face until I told him not to, the guy nearly had the camera taken from his hands, but eventually a friend of his stopped him. My wife didn't really want her photo taken and then probably shown to the idiots friends at home as a conquest on his holidays.

These guys who film may also be seeking financial reward from their video recordings which again should see authorisation for recording being gained. Not everybody wants to have their image posted on a forum, YouTube or other media channel.

I think a lot of common sense can be used when videoing people as it is unlikely that anybody will see your video later, but if in a sensitive area, like a bar area, I doubt those you are filming want their mugshot on social media.

It is a minefield out there but being smart when filming is not something some of these idiots are known for.

Edited by Horizondave

‘Coward’: Melbourne Kick streamer gets smacked after ‘prank’

A Melbourne streamer was slapped in the face after a disturbing “prank” that has sparked furious backlash online.

A wannabe internet star was slapped in the face after taunting a stranger walking through Melbourne’s CBD in a desperate bid for attention.

Izanal, who has under 500 followers on streaming platform Kick and even less on YouTube, films “pranks” while wandering the streets of Melbourne.

The streamer has even gone as far as to evacuate a Hoyts cinema to keep his viewers happy.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/coward-melbourne-kick-streamer-gets-smacked-after-prank/news-story/a085d26ad56810c4fdc68aa1bb8d20e4

• Thumbs Up 1

I could place this in the new "predictions" thread, but I will post in here since it is perhaps more relevant.

I predict we will see/hear more of stories ignorant, self centered, arrogant vloggers getting a good kicking, and having their selfie sticks complety shoved up their aresholes within the upcoming year.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

I could place this in the new "predictions" thread, but I will post in here since it is perhaps more relevant.

I predict we will see/hear more of stories ignorant, self centered, arrogant vloggers getting a good kicking, and having their selfie sticks complety shoved up their aresholes within the upcoming year.

Same sentiment here. Could place this also in the annoy thread, what gets me is the dumbasses pimping their links, e.g., Amazon (like no one knows how to google Amazon) so they can get a commission.

Same wastes of oxygen do it for Agoda. It's one reason this forum is superior to PA.

I go out of my way to never click on any Vlogger link.

I saw security at a Steve Earle concert stopping a fan taking a picture, it played out very differently to Chappelle.

He told them very politely to leave the fan to take her picture. Said it was he fans show, they'd paid for it and he was fine with them taking pictures. He then apologized to security for himself and his team if they hadn't communicated things properly.

I think Chappelle's gone way over the top. He's f*****d off 6,999 punters because of one idiot.

Christy Moore's( Krapow's post above)handled it much better. Noisy people talking loudly through a concert in a theatre should get kicked out, as they are ruining the concert from everyone in earshot. 

But don't punish the real fans who've done nothing wrong.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Trip said:

Same sentiment here. Could place this also in the annoy thread, what gets me is the dumbasses pimping their links, e.g., Amazon (like no one knows how to google Amazon) so they can get a commission.

Same wastes of oxygen do it for Agoda. It's one reason this forum is superior to PA.

I go out of my way to never click on any Vlogger link.

Years ago I wrote off Amazon, I have never had anything to do with FB and that is one of the reasons I don't do the little like buttons on a thread post (it is too much FB related). People have always thought I was a bit sideways regarding my views and complete rejection of FB, but we are seeing the long term associated damage they have caused.

These tech companies and little behind your back ploys they pull are sickening. They can all go fcuk themselves, because whether people recognize it or not they are fcuking the snot out of you. As the people continue to fall for it because of their own stupid, lazy desire to buy more shit (most of it they don't need, and/or gets shoved into a closet or under the kitchen sink never to be used again). While at the same time those tech companines are selling massive prersonal information about them to other dodgy companies who then use for Dog knows what. 

21 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Years ago I wrote off Amazon, I have never had anything to do with FB and that is one of the reasons I don't do the little like buttons on a thread post (it is too much FB related). People have always thought I was a bit sideways regarding my views and complete rejection of FB, but we are seeing the long term associated damage they have caused.

These tech companies and little behind your back ploys they pull are sickening. They can all go fcuk themselves, because whether people recognize it or not they are fcuking the snot out of you. As the people continue to fall for it because of their own stupid, lazy desire to buy more shit (most of it they don't need, and/or gets shoved into a closet or under the kitchen sink never to be used again). While at the same time those tech companines are selling massive prersonal information about them to other dodgy companies who then use for Dog knows what. 

Last night I checked out ChocolateManInAVan, used to be ChocolateManInThailand; he was reviewing one of his van purchases and a trip he is on in the Vegas area touring Hoover Dam. It happened to be a firm called EcoFlow who builds solar power units and other van equipment.

I must of had 20 references in my feed this morning about EcoFlow and Vegas attractions/Hoover Dam tours.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I saw security at a Steve Earle concert stopping a fan taking a picture, it played out very differently to Chappelle.

He told them very politely to leave the fan to take her picture. Said it was he fans show, they'd paid for it and he was fine with them taking pictures. He then apologized to security for himself and his team if they hadn't communicated things properly.

I think Chappelle's gone way over the top. He's f*****d off 6,999 punters because of one idiot.

Christy Moore's( Krapow's post above)handled it much better. Noisy people talking loudly through a concert in a theatre should get kicked out, as they are ruining the concert from everyone in earshot. 

But don't punish the real fans who've done nothing wrong.

The performers show, their rules. I agree, Chappelle's reaction was OTT. He punished 99.99% of his fans because of the idiocy of one.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

10 hours ago, Butch said:

Travel vloggers are always doing this. I don't mind personally as the last few times I've been on an Aircraft I've had to wear a mask (not the gimp type) so kind of not recogniseable, but yeah, the last thing I want on an Aircraft is some twat filming me.

The argument they use is that if you're in public then you shouldn't expect any privacy. If you're on the public streets then that's fair comment, but if you're in a privately owned premises which the public have access to, then it may be different.

I think it's a sign of the times. Even my Mrs will do a panoramic sweep of either the Hotel lobby where she's staying, the plane she's on or the place she is, then fire it off to me or my daughter. It doesn't enter the public domain though and I've told her not to ,because it's a pretty good scenario to draw attention to yourself and get your phone swiped.

I look forward to the day when a vlogger pushes his luck, then gets a kicking for not respecting someone's polite request.

When I see a camera pointed my way in a public setting I simply turn my head or cover my face to avoid having my pic taken. I've nothing to hide, it's simply in my nature not to want to have my picture taken. Same as I never do selfies, and even turn down posed shots when I'm with a group of friends.

If I'm on a plane, or in an airport lounge and see some knob that insists on recording for any length of time, I'll call a flight/lounge attendant to deal with the knob. They're on private property so any argument about having the right to record in a public setting has no bearing.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

When I see a camera pointed my way in a public setting I simply turn my head or cover my face to avoid having my pic taken. I've nothing to hide, it's simply in my nature not to want to have my picture taken. Same as I never do selfies, and even turn down posed shots when I'm with a group of friends.

If I'm on a plane, or in an airport lounge and see some knob that insists on recording for any length of time, I'll call a flight/lounge attendant to deal with the knob. They're on private property so any argument about having the right to record in a public setting has no bearing.

Knobs everywhere.

That's what is good about finding the residence you are comfortable with. You enjoy staying home more.

Tendency for better contentment when not around some fcuking knob.

1 minute ago, coxyhog said:

When I was a kid my mum nearly got us thrown out of a Tom Jones concert in Great Yarmouth for taking a flash photograph with her little Instamatic camera.

That was in the mid '60's.

Did she throw her knickers at him too, like the other Mums ..?????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

When I was a kid my mum nearly got us thrown out of a Tom Jones concert in Great Yarmouth for taking a flash photograph with her little Instamatic camera.

What you say in this post says a lot, with few words. Very well said.

12 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

So It's Not Unusual?

• Haha 5

People's self entitlement is getting worse as time goes on. It's not just the younger generation either.

IMO Tiktok and Instagram are a cancer on society, mostly populated by narcissists.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Butch said:

People's self entitlement is getting worse as time goes on. It's not just the younger generation either.

IMO Tiktok and Instagram are a cancer on society, mostly populated by narcissists.

I had a twitter account for a short time, absolutely pathetic and full of attention seekers 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Butch said:

Copied from another thread. (@KhunDon)

image.png

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1