Asking for opinions?.

galenkia

Okay, most of you know my current situation, in that I’m not working and not struggling financially.

But I want to get back doing something that gets me out the house.

So I’m really looking for ideas about what to do, rather than just a regular job.

I have been thinking about buying a van and working self employed delivering parcels.

Just fancy something different to a regular job, I can choose my hours to work etc.

Any input is welcome thanks.

3 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Are you looking to make money Gal or is volunteering an option.? 

Volunteering is an option, something I have considered, but I would like to earn a living if possible. I donate a lot of money to charity as it is, so I would rather get some income.

Like when Jan passed away I donated £20,000 to her hospice as they are very reliant upon donations.

So really looking to really do some paid work.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Difficult to find the right fit (flexible hours, decent working conditions, etc.) at our age. Many employeers shy away from us, although there are some out there that will hire.

Often the bigger companies will hire "seasonal", and then may find a slot for some on a more semi-permanent basis. But if they do the hours may be different than what you originally are assigned.

I worked for a while years back at a large retail store working in the back stock room. I really liked it, but then when the season was over they moved me out onto the floor and I had to interact with asshole customers. They also fcuked with my hours. I finally had enough and walked out.

If you can find a good stock job it's not bad. Keeps you moving and only interact with a few people. Crusty old dudes like us with some dough the employers don't like very much because they don't have much leverage. They know we will tell them to fcuk off if they ask too much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Okay, most of you know my current situation, in that I’m not working and not struggling financially.

So I’m really looking for ideas about what to do, rather than just a regular job.

I have been thinking about buying a van and working self employed delivering parcels.

Just fancy something different to a regular job, I can choose my hours to work etc.

I was talking to the girl who delivered a couple of Amazon parcels to us the other day. I said to her did she work for Amazon, and she said no, she was freelance, she just registered with them or whatever, then logs on in the morning when she wants to work, see's what 'runs' are available from what depot to what area, how many drops, and picks what she wants to do.

Sounds something like what you posted above.

Gal, you're like me, too much time on our hands is dangerous. Plus it helps you mentally and physically to be doing stuff.

Me, if i could financially retire tomorrow i would, but i'd always be doing stuff, travelling, exploring, trying out new things. All fitted round my daughter's schooling though.

I've never been one to like go on holiday or sit all day round the pool or beach anyway, i get bored, like to be doing stuff. But that's just me, for some it's suits them just fine, and that's cool as well. 

But yea, like the girls delivering the parcels, she chooses when she wants to work and for how long. Said it was decent money as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

I'm jumping on board with the parcel delivery idea.

The best job I had in UK was as a Field Engineer covering the whole mainland (I'm avoiding the singular word "Country"!). I thoroughly enjoyed the driving and working in areas I have never previously visited.

I have to add a disclaimer that on my most recent contract about 10 years ago, which was in London, I effing hated the driving into the City.....

Nowadays you have satnav with a sexy girl telling you where to go.... At nights you could kip in your van and masturbate just listening to her voice ... Perfik!!!

But something small and nippy like an Astra Van not a fucking transit ...!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Like 4

Gal sounds like you've come up with a great idea. The vans going to be an asset that should retain it's value (maybe don't respray it in QPR livery though😛)

As Krapow says it will give you a decent income and flexibility.

Additionally if you want you'd be able to help the hospice or a charity shop you support by picking up donations.  I've done a couple of mini house clearances before I left the UK where a local hospice and the RSPCA have had a volunteer come around with a van.

The guys picking up the staff have always been a good laugh. You'll get to know the people in the shop and have a bit of banter with them

I'd say you could pick your hours/days with Amazon and do a little volunteer work as a side line if that interested you.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree with most of the above....but before jumping into buying a van id lease it first for a year,make the payment up front that way no monthly payment,then your free to try different ideas in what to do with it,dont forget tho claim what you are entitled to from the scumy goverment as a long paying tax ni contributor.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Phantom51red said:

Agree with most of the above....but before jumping into buying a van id lease it first for a year,make the payment up front that way no monthly payment,then your free to try different ideas in what to do with it,dont forget tho claim what you are entitled to from the scumy goverment as a long paying tax ni contributor.

Also ensure the Van Insurance covers "For Business Use" 

And, of course that you have a valid driving license!!!! ... I can't remember what @galenkia posted in my "Not driving for 10 years" thread...But I am sure that it was something dubious !!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Also ensure the Van Insurance covers "For Business Use" 

And, of course that you have a valid driving license!!!! ... I can't remember what @galenkia posted in my "Not driving for 10 years" thread...But I am sure that it was something dubious !!

My license is valid until next year so no issues with that. Just prefer riding bikes so that is why I haven’t driven recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

I forgot to mention this earlier.

Sorry to be a mother hen, but....

Driving is dangerous. Not to mention the associated costs (upkeep, insurance, etc.). Employers also pressure you on schedules, sometimes give you shit side jobs during slow periods. If you freelance the costs are yours (unless they give you some kind of stipend).

I'd rather clean sewers than be in traffic.

Just my perspective.

If you can be flexible with work hours (example, evenings or late night) the opportunities open up.

How about package sorting ? Always a demand. Start you at low pay, but gradual increases. Much safer than delivery, or driver.

If I was forced to do a driving job, I'd be a bus driver. Less likely to get run over.

When I came back from Saudi in 1982 I couldn't get an aircraft job so my mum,who worked as a telephonist/receptionist at a printing paper distributor got me a job driving one of their trucks,cash in hand.

Summer of 82 was glorious & I spent most of it driving around the Home Counties having a great time.

Much less traffic then & a lot less assholes on the road,not something I'd like to do today.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

When I came back from Saudi in 1982 I couldn't get an aircraft job so my mum,who worked as a telephonist/receptionist at a printing paper distributor got me a job driving one of their trucks,cash in hand.

Summer of 82 was glorious & I spent most of it driving around the Home Counties having a great time.

Much less traffic then & a lot less assholes on the road,not something I'd like to do today.

Back in '82 I was driving the Dan Ryan expressway to/from the south burbs to downtown. An hour each way (on a good day), about half of it stop and go.

I learned then that I was not cut out for long commutes. Traded that in for country roads and a 20 minute commute in '85, but spent most of the next 25 years in a car on campus.

Now I want as little to do with driving a car as possible.

13 hours ago, galenkia said:

Firstly  I would think about what you enjoy most, what transferable skills you have. I jave no idea what your assets are but you could always think about buying property to let. Bricks and mortar always fairly solid investment.

You could always retrain to do something you are interested in. Motorcycle mechanic  for instance.

Delivery driving is very stressful. I know a few people who do it and the financial towards are not great. 

You could try courier work using your motorbike first and see how that works out first

Also, as it has-been mentioned  Voluntary work  say  in a cancer hospital not a bad Idea. That's what I did after I was cured

Just a few thoughts

• Like 3

Mate of mine got made redundant from a good management job at 60. Couldn't find another management job anywhere. Eventually took a job delivering for Sainsburys. Loved it & lost weight in the process.

• Thumbs Up 2

Please bear in mind that there will be an election in the next 10 months or before and if the polls are to be believed there could be a change of government, which will likely have different priorities.

The line between self-employed/Independent contractors may change,  leaving people treated as self-employed for many years brought under the umbrella of being an employee, with associated changes, such as National Insurance and being able to set certain expenditure items against tax liability.  

The influence of the Trade Unions could become more significant.   

In a very short time, you could find yourself in a very different position from when you started.

As far as Motor Insurance please be aware of the difference between Commercial and Business Insurances.

In short, I do not think now is the right time to change working status and practice. 

Good luck to you, whichever way you proceed.  

• Great Info 1

Start a Youtube channel as a hobby, rewards are small but if you get enough subscribers, it can provide a bit of a passive income - but maybe one for hobby rather than relying upon it to generate anything.

My local Tesco employs people on a fully flexible basis, most of them are Mum's who work between school hours.

I'm not sure but I think Tesco delivery allows flexible working schemes as well.

Parcel delivery is a bit dicey, there are feral gangs in London who follow parcel vans and steal from them while the driver is delivering, or just simply hold him up when he stops.

Although you're in London, rurally Gardening is a very popular, although seasonal sideline, simple stuff, lawns hedges and borders. Getting to know others such as Fencing companies or Patio / Driveway companies can earn a few in kickbacks if you're in the game.

Here's a left field option, just from the top of ma head, You're a half decent vegan cook, maybe approach local coffee shops / cafes / sandwich shops or even any local "trendy" or "artisan" pubs and shops, offering vegan stuff like pasties, cakes, snacks and the like, on a small scale which you can cook at home and deliver fresh in the morning. You'll probably have to go on a food hygiene course though. you won't need to buy anything apart from clingfilm and a printer to print the ingredients on a sticky label, and an oven of course. Maybe ties that in with a vegan YT cooking channel.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 1