Pattaya Go-go bars, beer bars & restaurants (News closures and Updates)

john luke

So many people seem to be investing into these businesses they must have inside information, even when bars & clubs open I don’t see tourism returning any time soon. A big gamble in my opinion. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, simon said:

So many people seem to be investing into these businesses they must have inside information, even when bars & clubs open I don’t see tourism returning any time soon. A big gamble in my opinion. 

Drive around town,lots of little shophouses being renovated....Right next door to about 10 for sale, rent, lease, signs.....

Edited by fforest

9 minutes ago, fforest said:

Drive around town,lots of little shophouses being renovated....Right next door to about 10 for sale, rent, lease, signs.....

I'm surprised and encouraged by the amount of work going into new bars in the Tree Town area. Expect that when bars are able to open again it will be one of the big go to places.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, simon said:

Indeed Simon. Seems like a long shot for sure. Yet, there are plenty of folks out there willing to take that chance, or "launder some dosh".

BTW - How the heck have you been ?

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Indeed Simon. Seems like a long shot for sure. Yet, there are plenty of folks out there willing to take that chance, or "launder some dosh".

BTW - How the heck have you been ?

I am good & longing to go back to Thailand but very unsure if there will be much left to go back to. They really do need this high season but not sure that will happen. Need to be open by end October bars, airport hotels the lot. Can,t see it myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

I am good & longing to go back to Thailand but very unsure if there will be much left to go back to. They really do need this high season but not sure that will happen. Need to be open by end October bars, airport hotels the lot. Can,t see it myself.

Outside chance IMO getting things opened by year end but also IMO the quarantine will not be lifted this year 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, Bazle said:

I've been to La Baguette several times. Very nice cakes there. I've also been several times and not stayed as it has been full of Chinese tour group people. 

Yup, I use to go to La Baguette every Mon & Fri for take-away treats for the staff.  

2 hours ago, Sea-Hawks said:

Yup, I use to go to La Baguette every Mon & Fri for take-away treats for the staff.  

Name rings a bell, think I used to go to two in Hua Hin. One was in town near the palace and the other was almost into Cha Am.  If it is the place mentioned I really enjoyed their offering and set up.

4 hours ago, john luke said:

Refurbishment at Lisa Bar on Second Road.

untitled-9825.jpg

untitled-9824.jpg

untitled-9826.jpg

Those places that made the decision to "stick it out" at the beginning, and at least had the sense to use the down time to make improvements. Many of those businesses that take advantage of this (and have the cash to get through this long rough spot) will be the ones that prosper looking down the road.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Name rings a bell, think I used to go to two in Hua Hin. One was in town near the palace and the other was almost into Cha Am.  If it is the place mentioned I really enjoyed their offering and set up.

Yup, they have a few locations

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, john luke said:

Refurbishment at Lisa Bar on Second Road.

untitled-9825.jpg

untitled-9824.jpg

untitled-9826.jpg

I've noticed the refurbishment taking place over the past couple of months. I also noticed they've kept the Lisa Coyote Bar sign, but have put up a for rent (or is it a for sale) sign in the front. Wonder if they're going to try to sell or rent the place as a going concern, with a corresponding higher price tag. Be interesting to see what ultimately happens with the place.

• Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I've noticed the refurbishment taking place over the past couple of months. I also noticed they've kept the Lisa Coyote Bar sign, but have put up a for rent (or is it a for sale) sign in the front. Wonder if they're going to try to sell or rent the place as a going concern, with a corresponding higher price tag. Be interesting to see what ultimately happens with the place.

I drank there once ,  my mixed drink was served in a small glass , ( compared to most other establishments ) and the LDs were small as well ... the prices were not , place had no real atmosphere, most girls sat around looking bored .. I paid up and left 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Those places that made the decision to "stick it out" at the beginning, and at least had the sense to use the down time to make improvements. Many of those businesses that take advantage of this (and have the cash to get through this long rough spot) will be the ones that prosper looking down the road.

I am still unsure on this strategy.

I guess it all depends on what the tourists want when they get here. Do they want bright lights,spanking new shiney bars, booming music, expensive beer and LDs or are there gonna be fans of more comfy and welcoming bars with "nicer" girls. Who knows ...??

I think the test for Tree Town will be how they control the music volumes in each bar when the place gets busy (and it will!). 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I guess it all depends on what the tourists want when they get here. Do they want bright lights,spanking new shiney bars, booming music, expensive beer and LDs or are there gonna be fans of more comfy and welcoming bars with "nicer" girls. Who knows ...??

I think the test for Tree Town will be how they control the music volumes in each bar when the place gets busy (and it will!). 

I happen to agree with you. Although, my point was more about those making the best of the "down time". Not so much in regards to the style or the level of modifications or improvements. There is always a level of risk when making any kind of investment. Your point is well taken though.

In respect to Tree Town. I have no clue in how that may all pan out. But, I can say.... What I saw of the area during my last stroll through thee (last December) I would guestimate the amount of investment put in to any one particular place was probably not very much. In fact, from the looks of things - a strong wind could probably blow half of them down.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

What I saw of the area during my last stroll through thee (last December) I would guestimate the amount of investment put in to any one particular place was probably not very much. In fact, from the looks of things - a strong wind could probably blow half of them down.

That leads me on to what I call the "Tin Cup Phenomena" .. To me the Tin Cup was just a normal greasy spoon Thai eating place that you see everywhere in Thailand but to some it was "special" or "different".

Some tourists want that...A bit of Thailand in the farang oasis of soi Buakhao. I'm sure if somebody found a bit of wasteland and knocked up a rickety old tin hut wobbling and banging in the wind selling cheap beer and basic Thai food it will get just as busy as any new sports bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That leads me on to what I call the "Tin Cup Phenomena" .. To me the Tin Cup was just a normal greasy spoon Thai eating place that you see everywhere in Thailand but to some it was "special" or "different".

Some tourists want that...A bit of Thailand in the farang oasis of soi Buakhao. I'm sure if somebody found a bit of wasteland and knocked up a rickety old tin hut wobbling and banging in the wind selling cheap beer and basic Thai food it will get just as busy as any new sports bar.

Our fellow friend boydeste took me to an outside place off Suck a block or so down from Soi 4 a couple times. Excellent food and cheap. When you are there you think to yourself "no big deal" but times like this I'd give my left nut to be eating some Pad Thai there right now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yes indeed, a big problem for me in these multi bar areas, i tend to give them a miss. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Yes indeed, a big problem for me in these multi bar areas, i tend to give them a miss. 

Even when they have a single sound system it can be a problem when they're pumping crap noise they try to pass off as music to every bar in the complex. MIT comes to mind for that.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Even when they have a single sound system it can be a problem when they're pumping crap noise they try to pass off as music to every bar in the complex. MIT comes to mind for that.

'twas the death of Drinking Street IMO..

There was one bar that played C&W .Another oldies for the oldies. Both were always busy and I think the other bars complained and got the music centralised..

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yes... it does make you wonder sometimes. Some folks will pour tons of dosh into a place. When you consider the astronomical failure rate it is mind boggling at times.  😖

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

'twas the death of Drinking Street IMO..

There was one bar that played C&W .Another oldies for the oldies. Both were always busy and I think the other bars complained and got the music centralised..

Another reason was that the resident DJ started to play loads of 'music' to accommodate the increasing number of Arab / Middle Eastern customers, which of course attracted even more....and for anybody that ever visited the Soi Arab / Marine Plaza area will know the extreme volume that they seem to like their music played at.

SteveBC

• Like 2

How is the corner bar on soi 6 doing? Last time I was there pre covid it was doing well and had pretty good patronage. I spoke to the owner of the bar next door to the corner bar in soi 6 who said he was doing well but there was only one customer in there while the corner bar was fairly full.

28 minutes ago, hugh cow said:

How is the corner bar on soi 6 doing? Last time I was there pre covid it was doing well and had pretty good patronage. I spoke to the owner of the bar next door to the corner bar in soi 6 who said he was doing well but there was only one customer in there while the corner bar was fairly full.

Interesting name. Welcome to the board !

10 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yes... it does make you wonder sometimes. Some folks will pour tons of dosh into a place. When you consider the astronomical failure rate it is mind boggling at times.  😖

Hahaha ..Totally agree!

I am sure that some owners build what THEY want, rather than what they think potential customers want.

A classic example was Rod's Bar on Khao Talo...A bar based on Rod Stewart. I never went in but the outside looked plush and was told that inside was too. Why didn't I go in? The doors were always shut when I walked passed and tried them. No information on opening times. No promotions on forums etc..nothing. This was a bar that was ideal for me to stagger home from but for most it was the wrong side of the tracks.

Was there for more than a year I think. 

• Like 1