Pattaya Beach Nourishment

john luke

12 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

I remember a real bad one,was staying at pattaya br,took me over an hour to wade through the water and back to pbr from the corner bar.

Worst for me was in September 2011.  I had a condo near Tukcom and it took five hours to get back from Walking Street.  I spent most of that time sitting in a restaurant near 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai.  The restaurant stayed open to give shelter to people stranded by the flooding. The water was too deep and moving too fast for me to even attempt to wade to the condo before about 6.00 a.m. in the morning.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Surprised 1

9 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Worst for me was in September 2011.  I had a condo near Tukcom and it took five hours to get back from Walking Street.  I spent most of that time sitting in a restaurant near 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai.  The restaurant stayed open to give shelter to people stranded by the flooding. The water was too deep and moving too fast for me to even attempt to wade to the condo before about 6.00 a.m. in the morning.

Evil

I was thinking around 2011 or 12 ,the north end apart from beach road never seems to get it as bad as south,think the worst thought while wading was just bloody hoping all the drain covers were attached! 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

Evil

I was stranded at Barbie Bar during that storm. Flood waters were over the bottom run of the bar stools in the bar. The pissers in the back had shin deep water. Ended up calling my lady and telling her I wasn't going to make it home that night due to the flooding. Waded over to the Villa and got a room for the night, along with a long haired bed warmer. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, maipenrai said:

Such an incredibly long arm on that excavator - no wonder it has such a small bucket on the end of it...

They come much longer than that mate. 
One of our companies used “Variable Counterbalance” machines with longer booms than that.
They had a heavy weight mounted over the back of the machine and as you boomed out or in, the hydraulic system moved the weight back or forwards on rails to counter balance the forces on the boom. 

The main problems with a long boom is the digging force or breakout force that the machine bucket can excerpt based on how extended the boom is.

👍 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

Some heavy rain fell during last night.  The main damage to the beach seems to be in the area between Sri 6 and Central Festival.  The people and dogs on some of the photographs do give a good perspective and indication as to how deep some of these trenches are.

0B0A8394.jpg

0B0A8395.jpg

0B0A8396.jpg

0B0A8397.jpg

0B0A8403.jpg

0B0A8404.jpg

0B0A8405.jpg

0B0A8406.jpg

0B0A8407.jpg

0B0A8408.jpg

0B0A8409.jpg

0B0A8410.jpg

0B0A8411.jpg

0B0A8417.jpg

0B0A8420.jpg

0B0A8421.jpg

0B0A8422.jpg

0B0A8423.jpg

0B0A8424.jpg

0B0A8427.jpg

0B0A8428.jpg

0B0A8430.jpg

0B0A8431.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Look at the Promenade.....It just keeps looking worse and worse year after year.....It's a wreck really from one end to the other...

Not a peep out of the news since the uproar about cutting down all the trees..

One the first hour of the first day when they started work on the walkway, they immediately started chopping the trees down,and they worked late into the night to cut as many trees as possible for the 2 days they were working....Then the Thai people made a big stink and that was the end of the tree chopping.....And it was also pretty much the end of the multi-million baht budgeted walkway rebuild....

Now no news what-so-ever.....

Big promises were made about replanting new trees along the beach....But I have yet to see a single new tree planted....

0B0A8410.jpg

0B0A8395.jpg

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

i cant remember it being this bad after a downpour before they replaced the old "promenade" maybe it was,just cant remember it.Odds on it will continue for the next decade.

But that would have been before the new beach had been constructed.

46 minutes ago, Phantom51red said:

Yea off course,still dont remember the beach being washed out as bad as it is now,mind you in those early days hardly set foot on the beach 🍺😅.

I enjoyed the old prominde for many happy years.....The old promenade did a amazingly good job of minimizing the washouts.....Sure the beach washed out a bit here and there, but nothing like the Grand Canyon sized wash outs that happened after the new walkway was built.....

Vast piles of money (100s of millions) have been spent on the new promenade trying to correct all the problems (and its sucked from day #1) ...... The old promenade was fantastic and needed no improvements.....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

My favorite beach wash out was the one that happened the day before the scheduled grand opening ceremonies of the brand new beach....That washout was a whopper, leaving huge canyons.....And the press was there and took loads of pictures......lol   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phantom51red said:

Yea off course,still dont remember the beach being washed out as bad as it is now,mind you in those early days hardly set foot on the beach 🍺😅.

Don't forget that the level of the beach near the walkway is much higher than it was before. Therefore the canyons will look deeper. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...