What are you drinking?

DumbDucker

Another new (for me) German beer, this time a black lager from Oettinger (no idea how you say that). That was pretty damn good, anyway, one of the best dark lagers I've had, though I seem to recall that it wasn't cheap. Well worth trying if you can, anyway.

IMG20230809184110.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:08 AM, Toy Boy said:

Another new (for me) German beer, this time a black lager from Oettinger (no idea how you say that). That was pretty damn good, anyway, one of the best dark lagers I've had, though I seem to recall that it wasn't cheap. Well worth trying if you can, anyway.

IMG20230809184110.jpg

Don't know if you are in BKK much but this retail beer warehouse got a mention in this week's Stickman column. 60 Baht for an Adnams Broadside (got to buy 12), but plenty of others if you explore the links on the site.

https://beverage.zippbike.com/collections/imported-beer

Ā 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Don't know if you are in BKK much but this retail beer warehouse got a mention in this week's Stickman column. 60 Baht for an Adnams Broadside (got to buy 12), but plenty of others if you explore the links on the site.

https://beverage.zippbike.com/collections/imported-beer

Ā 

Thanks, but no, I never have any reason to go to Bangkok these days. The supermarkets in Pattaya have a great selection, though it varies with stock-keeping issues - I'm still hoping Friendship gets some more of the Belhaven Black. Foodmart in Jomtien has got a great range of Trappist beers, and Villa has a good selection of imported beers from around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2023 at 10:36 AM, coxyhog said:

My local started selling this on tap & it's very nice.

Now Tesco have it on offer at Ā£10 & the cans are just as nice.

4c5c77f8-1668-4857-a450-c7a270ddee57.jpg

The offer is an obvious ploy to get us to like it & then the price will go up.At Ā£1 a can for really nice lager I think it's a steal so I just bought another 5 casesšŸ„³.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, coxyhog said:

My local started selling this on tap & it's very nice.

Now Tesco have it on offer at Ā£10 & the cans are just as nice.

4c5c77f8-1668-4857-a450-c7a270ddee57.jpg

Takes me back to my time working in Gibraltar and living in La Linea, half a lifetime ago. Great as a draft beer on a hot mediterranean day, reading the sunday newspapers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yet another new one for me, and another piece of German mastery of the art of brewing. Kucklbauer 'Alte Liebe' Dunkle Weisse. This one also hails from Abensburg in Bavaria, like the Dunkelbier I mentioned two posts above, but I think I preferred the straight Dunkelbier to the Dunkleweisse. They're both well worth a taste, anyway, if you can find them.

IMG20230815191701(1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KWA said:

Not mine, but can anyone put a name to this paint stripper donated to me by a visitor?Ā  I fear it's the infamous Thai moonshine that makes you blind.

thai moonshine.jpg

Copied from the internet:

Lao Khao comes in dark brown bottles that look a little like beer bottles, and there are 2 different sizes with a volume of 0.33 litres and the larger 0.625 litres.

The labels are all in Thai, with different colors to signify the grade and alcohol content, which is somewhere between 28% and 40%. The blue-labeled one is the strongest, and hence best-selling option, and youā€™ll see the discarded empty bottles on pretty much every road and street corner in Thailand

lao-ccs.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zambo said:

Copied from the internet:

Lao Khao comes in dark brown bottles that look a little like beer bottles, and there are 2 different sizes with a volume of 0.33 litres and the larger 0.625 litres.

The labels are all in Thai, with different colors to signify the grade and alcohol content, which is somewhere between 28% and 40%. The blue-labeled one is the strongest, and hence best-selling option, and youā€™ll see the discarded empty bottles on pretty much every road and street corner in Thailand

That's what I was worried about.Ā  Down the sink I think.

23 minutes ago, KWA said:

That's what I was worried about.Ā  Down the sink I think.

I have mentioned a few times that I moved to Isaan in 97 and that there was nothing ..absolutely NOTHING there ..not even terrestrial TV in the village I lived in...So I became addicted to the stuff....a small bottle for breakfast then sleep followed by another bottle for lunch etc etc etc !!

There was a BM on PT called Cat Crumpet that lived a similar life "in the village" before his life went tits up... I wonder where he is now..!