COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

13 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS...... The guy puts gis charts up every day.  In French...

Ok, keep masturbating on this.... 

I know science stuff scares you but the "gold standard" for a medical treatment is a randomised double blind trial. When Raoult documents one let us know.

I'll let you off the peer reviewed. At the moment the preprint servers are straining under the load because no one is doing reviews at the moment. All too busy writing their own papers.

Victorian hospital launches trial to prevent COVID-19 lung damage

Melbourne's St Vincent's Hospital will lead a global clinical trial testing a breathable blood thinner
to try to prevent the damage that COVID-19 does to the lungs.

The trial is part of a new focus around the world on an unusual symptom of COVID-19: blood clots.

Machines that filter the blood of patients with COVID-19 are getting clogged, and neurosurgeons
are reporting a surge in strokes. When the lungs of some patients who died are studied under the
microscope, they are covered in a rash of tiny red dots. These are not seen in similar viruses.

Trials have begun around the world to see if treating that clotting can help reduce the damage
caused by the virus.

The drug Heparin is a logical option. It is widely used in hospitals to thin the blood and prevent
blood clots, and has been extensively studied in humans to prevent lung damage. Several groups
are testing injecting it into patients; uniquely, the St Vincent's trial will test blowing the drug
directly into the lungs.

Blood clots - even microscopic ones - in the lungs are bad news. They can cause damage to the
delicate lining of the lungs, or cause fluid to leak into the lungs, making breathing impossible. Fix
the clots and you might help the patient.

"There is a lot of stuff out there being trialled that's pretty dodgy," said Dr Barry Dixon, the
intensive care doctor at St Vincent's who will lead the trial.

"People are making some outrageous claims with little substance to back them. We feel this is at
least something that's at least got some evidence behind it to make it worth trying."

But heparin's story shows the difficulties doctors face in treating patients: they are fighting an
illness they don't understand using weapons that might not work.

Heparin has disappointed in large human trials for lung damage.

"There is definitely a chance that heparin will be of some benefit in COVID-19 broadly. But it's not
going to be a magic bullet or a game-changer," said Professor Josh Davis, president of the
Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases. "It's not going to make the difference between survival
and non-survival."

Dr Dixon is more bullish. He claimed to have a phase-three clinical trial of heparin under review by
an academic journal, which will be "the first to show heparin delivered in this way actually reduces
lung injury". He declined to share those results before publication.

Intriguingly a study that has yet to be peer reviewed showed heparin may actually bind directly to
the virus that causes COVID-19, preventing it from entering cells.

"For those two reasons, we felt this is a study that needs to get done," Dr Dixon said.

He planned to do the trial at four hospitals in Australia, but because we have so few extremely sick
patients here, he has recruited hospitals in Barcelona, Liverpool and Galway.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victorian-hospital-launches-trial-to-prevent-covid-19-lung-damage-20200501-p54p2y.html

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Like hotels they need a high occupancy rate to make money and particularly the budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet.

But would they lose less money flying half full than letting their planes sit unused on the tarmac, a sort of damage limitation exercise?

Edited by bexwell

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

FFS...... The guy puts gis charts up every day.  In French...

Ok, keep masturbating on this.... 

there is science and there is assertion ...a double blinded controlled trial(like remdesivir was subject to ) is the gold standard...I stocked up on HCQ but wont use it until decent data is forthcoming (it is not without side fx)...double blind trials have commenced I inderstand and I eagerly await their  outcome 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Victorian hospital launches trial to prevent COVID-19 lung damage

Melbourne's St Vincent's Hospital will lead a global clinical trial testing a breathable blood thinner
to try to prevent the damage that COVID-19 does to the lungs.

The trial is part of a new focus around the world on an unusual symptom of COVID-19: blood clots.

Machines that filter the blood of patients with COVID-19 are getting clogged, and neurosurgeons
are reporting a surge in strokes. When the lungs of some patients who died are studied under the
microscope, they are covered in a rash of tiny red dots. These are not seen in similar viruses.

Trials have begun around the world to see if treating that clotting can help reduce the damage
caused by the virus.

The drug Heparin is a logical option. It is widely used in hospitals to thin the blood and prevent
blood clots, and has been extensively studied in humans to prevent lung damage. Several groups
are testing injecting it into patients; uniquely, the St Vincent's trial will test blowing the drug
directly into the lungs.

Blood clots - even microscopic ones - in the lungs are bad news. They can cause damage to the
delicate lining of the lungs, or cause fluid to leak into the lungs, making breathing impossible. Fix
the clots and you might help the patient.

"There is a lot of stuff out there being trialled that's pretty dodgy," said Dr Barry Dixon, the
intensive care doctor at St Vincent's who will lead the trial.

"People are making some outrageous claims with little substance to back them. We feel this is at
least something that's at least got some evidence behind it to make it worth trying."

But heparin's story shows the difficulties doctors face in treating patients: they are fighting an
illness they don't understand using weapons that might not work.

Heparin has disappointed in large human trials for lung damage.

"There is definitely a chance that heparin will be of some benefit in COVID-19 broadly. But it's not
going to be a magic bullet or a game-changer," said Professor Josh Davis, president of the
Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases. "It's not going to make the difference between survival
and non-survival."

Dr Dixon is more bullish. He claimed to have a phase-three clinical trial of heparin under review by
an academic journal, which will be "the first to show heparin delivered in this way actually reduces
lung injury". He declined to share those results before publication.

Intriguingly a study that has yet to be peer reviewed showed heparin may actually bind directly to
the virus that causes COVID-19, preventing it from entering cells.

"For those two reasons, we felt this is a study that needs to get done," Dr Dixon said.

He planned to do the trial at four hospitals in Australia, but because we have so few extremely sick
patients here, he has recruited hospitals in Barcelona, Liverpool and Galway.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victorian-hospital-launches-trial-to-prevent-covid-19-lung-damage-20200501-p54p2y.html

patients in Galwayand Liverpool are perpetually sick and have the medical certificates to prove it

Edited by Ivan the terrible
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

It is not the airlines that want to send their planes round the world with rows of empty seats. Like hotels they need a high occupancy rate to make money and particularly the budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet.

I think it remains to be seen if any ( or maybe how many) airlines fall by the wayside during this initial stage of Covid19 and how long the restrictions on travel remain. BA have announced masive job cuts through pulling out of Gatwick maybe for good. The price will be dictated by supply and demand. If demand exceeds supply when travel restrictions are finally lifted then up will go the prices.

Maybe the new normal will see the end of traditional overseas holiday tourism as we have known it for decades. Beware the rag heads buying up all the caravan parks in Margate and Skegness or even Butlins!  🤣

When I were a lad (fake Yorkshire accent) we were that poor we never went foreign ........

Nice damp caravan on the Isle of Sheppey for five nights or if we had an extra pound note even damper caravan in Walton-on-the-Naze.

Watching you dad play on one arm bandits in amusement arcades while sheltering from the rain in August for hours on end.

Sand castles, bag of chips and a stick of rock.

The great British caravan park of my childhood.... :default_friends:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Just for information, I am "pro Raoult" and his approach. I listen regulary to his exposés.

But what some reproach him is the "sample population".

Look at the pictures of people queing at his hospital and waiting for the test.  The idea is "come get tested for free". So of course the age range is not a good representation of the French population and visibly is mainly age 20 to 40 and in good health (otherwhile they couldn't queu for hours...)

images.jpeg-3.jpg

🤣

So yes, his treatment seems to work on people that are decent health, but infected by the viruz. Most likely most of them.would never have fallen seriously ill anyway.

Concerning the chloraquine, its nivaquine, I remember we were given it in the Navy in certain regions against malaria. I also remember we all avoided taking it, but cant remember why exactly. Also need to consider the dosage ! What we got was very light, it seems that treatment against C19 is with heavy dosage.

0.jpeg-4.jpg

PS : We replaced it with generous doses of Gin tonic, the quinine of the tonic was the medecine.  GT has also side effect but at least they were fun ones ....

from the garage...in the oil container from  the mower?

f**k it miracle cure ,inject petroleum hydrocarbons ...you know it makes sense

DON'T DO THIS BTW...WAIT FOR THE TRIAL🤣

Edited by Ivan the terrible

11 hours ago, Kathmandu said:

Saying w/o citations or links to prove your assertions are like Adolph Hitler Fucking Eva Braun, which never happened. However, if you have a link I'd love to see it. :default_biggrin:

Sausage-on-a-Fork.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fygjam said:

Are deaths with a gun shot wound to the head the same as death from a gun shot wound to the head?

Not if they suspect they had corona virus.  In that case the cause would be corona virus.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, monkeyman said:

And just one day later the press are saying the government announcement of its scrapping will be made next week.

You couldn't make it up.

I agree, misinformation everywhere.

'Stay sane Saturday' walk again. 

Particularly relevant pic, as the many board members that have expressed how important it is to wear masks in the last few pages, incase they unwittingly pass the virus on.  Bravo! Never let it be said 24/7 is full of selfish nutters! 

Also needed to stock up on my favourite vegan wine before I entered this thread again for more self flagellation. Necked all my buckfast last night, such was the traumatic experience of the previous few pages. 

As they used to say in Hill Street Blues, 

'And hey, let's be careful out there'

IMAG1634.jpg

IMAG1636.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

42 minutes ago, Krapow said:

'Stay sane Saturday' walk again. 

Particularly relevant pic, as the many board members that have expressed how important it is to wear masks in the last few pages, incase they unwittingly pass the virus on.  Bravo! Never let it be said 24/7 is full of selfish nutters! 

Also needed to stock up on my favourite vegan wine before I entered this thread again for more self flagellation. Necked all my buckfast last night, such was the traumatic experience of the previous few pages. 

As they used to say in Hill Street Blues, 

'And hey, let's be careful out there'

IMAG1634.jpg

IMAG1636.jpg

My missus wears a mask whenever she's outside the house,even though when we're on our walks we stay well away from other folk.

So far it's still a free world and she can do as she likes.

I wear one when I go shopping or where I know I'm going to be close to others.I also wear a hat & sunglasses.

My take on it is that this crap gets into your body via the eyes,nose & mouth and anything that covers those up cannot be doing any harm.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If governments agree to suspend all aviation taxes then everybody will be able to afford Business Class, so aircraft can be converted to Business Class only and we can all travel in comfort and be socially distanced as well. Easy peasy.

Now all we need is a plan to sort out the airports...   :default_210:   :default_gathering:     

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

If governments agree to suspend all aviation taxes then everybody will be able to afford Business Class, so aircraft can be converted to Business Class only and we can all travel in comfort and be socially distanced as well. Easy peasy.

Now all we need is a plan to sort out the airports...   :default_210:   :default_gathering:     

I wish

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

My missus wears a mask whenever she's outside the house,even though when we're on our walks we stay well away from other folk.

I wear one when I go shopping or where I know I'm going to be close to others.I also wear a hat & sunglasses.

My take on it is that this crap gets into your body via the eyes,nose & mouth and anything that covers those up cannot be doing any harm.

I'm like you. I wear a mask shopping (it's the law here). Don't wear one when I'm out for walks. Keep my distance from other folks, though. I use hand sanitizer when I'm out and about if I touch any surfaces (shopping cart, door handles, ATM paypoint), and wash my hands thoroughly when I return home. My city has an emergency decree -- shelter in place & social distancing required. Our COVID-19 infections have been kept low, but it is definitely here.

I read this last night and it does offer a perspective on what is likely happening. Worth looking at if for nothing else in that it is up to date.

Infected with the coronavirus but not showing symptoms? A physician answers 5 questions about asymptomatic COVID-19

Blood tests that check for exposure to the coronavirus are starting to come online, and preliminary findings suggest that many people have been infected without knowing it. Even people who do eventually experience the common symptoms of COVID-19 don’t start coughing and spiking fevers the moment they’re infected.

https://theconversation.com/infected-with-the-coronavirus-but-not-showing-symptoms-a-physician-answers-5-questions-about-asymptomatic-covid-19-137029?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3TeJ1UW5h90115qs996FHyoda9OyGVWgRcNpxF1qdAituYbxQ-Xpo78YI#Echobox=1588278804

Edited by lazarus

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I wear a mask at work and when doing my weekly food shop. 

Also wear plastic gloves at work. 

Just common sense to take precautions. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

C'est la vie...

PARIS — French Health Minister Olivier Veran said people traveling into France, including French citizens returning home, will be placed in a 14-day quarantine as part of new extended proposals to limit the spread of the new coronavirus.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-quarantine/france-set-to-impose-14-day-coronavirus-quarantine-for-travellers-idUSKBN22E0KX