COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

Was speaking to one of the furloughed people in my house earlier. He went in to town in the morning and he said people were queuing everywhere to get in shops now they are open. 

Good for the shops but I won't stand in a long queue for ages. 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:25 PM, Bazle said:

IIRC, there was concern that the vaccine might protect someone from the symptoms of Covid-19 but would not stop them being infectious to others.

But if the others have had the vaccine as well, surely it doesn't make any difference whether they're infectious or not (sorry about calling you Shirley.)    

Just now, monkeyman said:

But if the others have had the vaccine as well, surely it doesn't make any difference whether they're infectious or not (sorry about calling you Shirley.)    

Fine if 100% of the population is vaccinated, and without a time lag!

6 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Was speaking to one of the furloughed people in my house earlier. He went in to town in the morning and he said people were queuing everywhere to get in shops now they are open. 

Good for the shops but I won't stand in a long queue for ages. 

With online shopping, I don't see the point 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

There's still the utterly absurd 14 day quarantine requirement, however, I give it until the end of August and that's gone. 

Was thinking more UK domestic tourism.

But yea, can't see the quarantine lasting even more then end of July, be scrapped for lots of countries before that as well. 

It's a joke, especially with the new evidence showing how much of the virus was brought in at the start when the borders were still open, from Spain, Italy and France especially. 

5 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

With online shopping, I don't see the point 

I think they were there for the promise of huge savings with many items slashed in price.

My wife was one of those in the queues although being there at 9 a.m didn't see her wait for too long. 

Some of the savings were great.

She got an Animal baseball cap for £1, normally £15, a pair of Zara high heels for £7 instead of £40 and for me, a pair of Superdry sunglasses for £6 instead of £45.

Even a kids school sandwich box (My Little Pony) was reduced from £12.99 to £2.00

Those deals may still be there for a few days but today was marketed as the exceptionally low price day and once it's gone it's gone..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Was thinking more UK domestic tourism.

But yea, can't see the quarantine lasting even more then end of July, be scrapped for lots of countries before that as well. 

It's a joke, especially with the new evidence showing how much of the virus was brought in at the start when the borders were still open, from Spain, Italy and France especially. 

I would say there be a lot of travellers form the south coming up as the pound weakens against the Euro. I can't see many people flying within the UK with the current social distancing rules in place. 

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I think they were there for the promise of huge savings with many items slashed in price.

My wife was one of those in the queues although being there at 9 a.m didn't see her wait for too long. 

Some of the savings were great.

She got an Animal baseball cap for £1, normally £15, a pair of Zara high heels for £7 instead of £40 and for me, a pair of Superdry sunglasses for £6 instead of £45.

Even a kids school sandwich box (My Little Pony) was reduced from £12.99 to £2.00

Those deals may still be there for a few days but today was marketed as the exceptionally low price day and once it's gone it's gone..

I didn't realise they had a sale 👍

This doesn't bode well for the reopening of nightlife establishments. My bold highlights.

Evil

Tokyo confirms 48 more coronavirus cases, fuels fears of second wave

KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 10 hours ago - 00:19 | All, Japan, Coronavirus

The Tokyo metropolitan government said Monday it has confirmed an additional 48 coronavirus infections in the capital, the biggest               daily increase since  early May.

The number topped the previous day's 47 and included many who work at nightclubs and other similar entertainment establishments, fueling concerns Japan could face a rebound of virus cases after it lifted a state of emergency and allowed business to restart.

A total of 5,592 infections have been confirmed in Tokyo, the worst among the nation's 47 prefectures.

The latest figure is the highest since May 5 when the Tokyo government reported 57 cases.

About 20 of the 48 were confirmed through group testing on people working at nightlife establishments, a new measure introduced in Tokyo, the metropolitan government said.

New infections in Tokyo had been on a declining trend through late May. But they rebounded after the state of emergency was lifted on May 25 for the last batch of prefectures including Tokyo.

While 29 prefectures have reported zero new infections in the three weeks since the state of emergency was fully lifted, the outbreak shows no signs of slowing in Tokyo and Hokkaido.

The number of new infections has been increasing in Tokyo every week, with those under 40 making up over 60 percent of the cases.

On June 2 when the daily increase reached 34, the metropolitan government issued a warning called "Tokyo alert" to raise public awareness.

It removed the warning last Thursday and further relaxed restrictions on business activities in the capital at midnight Thursday, allowing karaoke boxes, arcade centers and pachinko parlors to reopen, as well as restaurants and pubs to operate longer hours.

In Hokkaido, where over 30 new cases have been confirmed every week, cluster infections have occurred among older people patronizing karaoke cafes. More than 20 workers and customers were infected at two cafes in Sapporo, with those over 60 making up half of them.

In contrast, Osaka Prefecture, which has the second-highest total number of coronavirus cases, has managed to keep new daily cases to almost zero since May 25.

The central government is considering permitting travel between the Tokyo metropolitan area, Hokkaido and other regions, as well as relaxing immigration restrictions from Friday, provided infection numbers per 100,000 people and other benchmarks are met.

Around 20 people have tested positive for the virus every week upon arrival at airports, but the majority show no symptoms, according to health authorities.

Japan is considering gradually easing the entry bans currently imposed on 111 countries and regions. But health experts say the government at the same time has to ensure it is taking thorough quarantine measures to prevent the spread of infections.

The burden on the health care system has also been lessened. While over 1,800 patients were hospitalized in Tokyo in late April, there were only 271 as of last Wednesday, according to data from the health ministry. The numbers of hospitalizations and serious cases have been on a downtrend in almost all prefectures.

Edited by Evil Penevil

Covid-19 can leave the lungs of people who died from the disease completely unrecognisable, a professor of cardiovascular science has told parliament.

It created such massive damage in those who spent more than a month in hospital that it resulted in “complete disruption of the lung architecture”, said Prof Mauro Giacca of King’s College London.

In findings that he said showed the potential for “real problems” after survival, he told the Lords science and technology committee that he had studied the autopsies of patients who died in Italy after 30 to 40 days in intensive care and discovered large amounts of the virus persisting in lungs as well as highly unusual fused cells.

“What you find in the lungs of people who have stayed with the disease for more than a month before dying is something completely different from normal pneumonia, influenza or the Sars virus,” he said. “You see massive thrombosis. There is a complete disruption of the lung architecture – in some lights you can’t even distinguish that it used to be a lung.

“There are large numbers of very big fused cells which are virus positive with as many as 10, 15 nuclei,” he said. “I am convinced this explains the unique pathology of Covid-19. This is not a disease caused by a virus which kills cells, which had profound implications for therapy.”

His evidence came as the Lords committee heard from medical scientists and doctors grappling with the nature of Covid-19 six months after its emergence in Europe, its behaviour, treatments, vaccines and the possibility of immunity.

Sir John Bell, a professor of medicine at Oxford University who is a member of the government’s coronavirus vaccine taskforce, said attempts to understand whether people who have had the disease gather any immunity would need to be tested during a second wave of infections in the UK, which he said was now likely.

“Given the lockdown has now been largely released, we are now back in action and we still have a pretty reasonable level of infections in the community, I would be very surprised if we avoided a second wave,” he said. “I think the real question is are we going to have a number of outbursts and then a second wave or are we just going to get a second wave.”

(My emphasis)

Full article here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/15/covid-19-can-damage-lungs-victims-beyond-recognition-expert-says?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDA2MTY%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

This isn't going to make travelling Brits flavour of the month:

New Zealand confirmed on Tuesday two new coronavirus cases in women who recently arrived from Britain, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections.

New Zealand closed its borders to almost all international arrivals in March in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by coronavirus.

Overseas arrivals are required to be isolated at a government-sanctioned facility for 14 days. However, the women, one in her 30s and the other in her 40s, were allowed to leave their isolation site in Auckland early to visit a dying parent in the capital, Wellington.

"A new case is something we hoped we wouldn't get but is also something we have expected and planned for," said New Zealand's director general of health, Ashley Bloomfield.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/06/e71cfa0dfb8f-new-zealand-records-first-coronavirus-infections-in-over-3-weeks.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Covid-19 can leave the lungs of people who died from the disease completely unrecognisable, a professor of cardiovascular science has told parliament.

It created such massive damage in those who spent more than a month in hospital that it resulted in “complete disruption of the lung architecture”, said Prof Mauro Giacca of King’s College London.

In findings that he said showed the potential for “real problems” after survival, he told the Lords science and technology committee that he had studied the autopsies of patients who died in Italy after 30 to 40 days in intensive care and discovered large amounts of the virus persisting in lungs as well as highly unusual fused cells.

“What you find in the lungs of people who have stayed with the disease for more than a month before dying is something completely different from normal pneumonia, influenza or the Sars virus,” he said. “You see massive thrombosis. There is a complete disruption of the lung architecture – in some lights you can’t even distinguish that it used to be a lung.

“There are large numbers of very big fused cells which are virus positive with as many as 10, 15 nuclei,” he said. “I am convinced this explains the unique pathology of Covid-19. This is not a disease caused by a virus which kills cells, which had profound implications for therapy.”

His evidence came as the Lords committee heard from medical scientists and doctors grappling with the nature of Covid-19 six months after its emergence in Europe, its behaviour, treatments, vaccines and the possibility of immunity.

Sir John Bell, a professor of medicine at Oxford University who is a member of the government’s coronavirus vaccine taskforce, said attempts to understand whether people who have had the disease gather any immunity would need to be tested during a second wave of infections in the UK, which he said was now likely.

“Given the lockdown has now been largely released, we are now back in action and we still have a pretty reasonable level of infections in the community, I would be very surprised if we avoided a second wave,” he said. “I think the real question is are we going to have a number of outbursts and then a second wave or are we just going to get a second wave.”

(My emphasis)

Full article here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/15/covid-19-can-damage-lungs-victims-beyond-recognition-expert-says?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDA2MTY%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

hence the lung transplants now occuring post infection, but the morbity strain on health services will be immense

16 minutes ago, Bazle said:

This isn't going to make travelling Brits flavour of the month:

New Zealand confirmed on Tuesday two new coronavirus cases in women who recently arrived from Britain, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections.

New Zealand closed its borders to almost all international arrivals in March in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, the illness caused by coronavirus.

Overseas arrivals are required to be isolated at a government-sanctioned facility for 14 days. However, the women, one in her 30s and the other in her 40s, were allowed to leave their isolation site in Auckland early to visit a dying parent in the capital, Wellington.

"A new case is something we hoped we wouldn't get but is also something we have expected and planned for," said New Zealand's director general of health, Ashley Bloomfield.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/06/e71cfa0dfb8f-new-zealand-records-first-coronavirus-infections-in-over-3-weeks.html

It you're a brit and you're entitled to a passport from any other country, I would get one. The state the UK is in now, it's only going to get worse. British passport will be about as much use as a Nigerian passport. 

2 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

It you're a brit and you're entitled to a passport from any other country, I would get one. The state the UK is in now, it's only going to get worse. British passport will be about as much use as a Nigerian passport. 

but useful on the net...im a buff beach resident now..its liberating

Some good news for a change 

A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say. 

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus. 

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved, researchers say.

And it could be of huge benefit in poorer countries with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

The UK government has 200,000 courses of the drug in its stockpile and says the NHS will make dexamethasone available to patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Some good news for a change 

A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say. 

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus. 

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

Had the drug had been used to treat patients in the UK from the start of the pandemic, up to 5,000 lives could have been saved, researchers say.

And it could be of huge benefit in poorer countries with high numbers of Covid-19 patients.

The UK government has 200,000 courses of the drug in its stockpile and says the NHS will make dexamethasone available to patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

Huge news and the most cheerful thing in months. Hopefully this this might open the way for even for effective treatments as the scientists tinker with what seems to work to treat the disease.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lemondropkid said:

Huge news and the most cheerful thing in months. Hopefully this this might open the way for even for effective treatments as the scientists tinker with what seems to work to treat the disease.

Indeed. I read about it earlier today and although it might not  prevent all C19 related deaths it is a major step in the right direction for the elderly and most vulnerable.  It must be a nightmare for those recieving Chemotherapy at the moment. Not only are they fighting cancer but also their immune system is substantially weakened by the treatment leaving them vulnerable to C19 with little defence. 

• Like 1