COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

5 hours ago, fygjam said:

I'm afraid we are now in the era of science by press release. No data, no peer reviewed discussion. Just an announcement by AstraZeneca's CEO.

I assume that this announcement is in response to Moderna's press release of a month ago. Again no data, just a "things are going well".

Ya gotta keep the investors happy.

If the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine was the first one available but there were others around the corner I'd be holding off.

The AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine is a viral vector vaccine. The working name is ChAdOx1. Why

• CH for chimpanzee.
  • AD for adenovirus.
  • OX for Oxford.

Don't worry, there isn't any chimpanzee in the vaccine. They take a strain of adenovirus which affects chimpanzees specifically, modify the genome (gene editing) removing the genes which allow the virus to replicate and cause disease. Then they splice into the genome the gene from the SARS-CoV-2 virus for just the spike protein.

The theory is that after the vaccine is injected the adenovirus part will infect cells but instead of making more adenovirus (it can't because the genes have been removed) it will just start making SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The body will recognise the protein as foreign and make an immune response against it such that if the spike protein is encountered on a real SARS-CoV-2 virus the virus will be dealt with.

Why use the chimpanzee strain of the adenovirus. There is a human strain as well. It causes cold like symptoms, sore throat, runny node, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea etc. The problem is most humans have been infected by human adenovirus by the time they reach their twenties and have immunity. So if human adenovirus was used the recipient of the vaccine may mount an immune response against the adenovirus before it had a chance to make the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The vaccine would fail.

This is a possible problem with the ChAdOx1 vaccine. Once exposed to the chimpanzee strain of the virus a person may develop an immunity to that strain as well and any subsequent vaccinations may fail. A problem as AstraZeneca's announcement indicate annual vaccinations may be required. For this reason I'd hold off on any viral vector vaccine unless there were guarantees against cross immunity. Currently there are no viral vector vaccines licensed for human use although some are licensed for animal use.

Moderna are using a similar approach. They are just cutting out the middle virus. Moderna's vaccine (mRNA 1273) is a mRNA vaccine. mRNA is a strand of nucleotides (a gene) which instructs a cell to make a protein. Instead of using a virus to carry the required gene (the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein gene) into a cell, Moderna's approach is to inject the gene direct into the recipient. The end result is the same, cells hopefully start making the spike protein. Currently there are no mRNA vaccines licensed for human use, I don't think there are any for animal use either.

I believe that both the ChAdOx1 and mRNA 1273 vaccine candidates use an "engineered" spike protein gene which deletes the furin cleavage site found on the original. Wouldn't want some random protease  doing cleavage on our spike.

There are many (over 100) vaccine candidates in development but only a few techniques.

One Chinese company, Sino something, is doing it old school. "cook" up a batch of SARS-CoV-2 virus, inactivate them and inject. Same as the current influenza vaccines.

Watch this space, the first to the finish line may not be the winner.

Apologies for dumbing down the microbiology, biochemistry, virology etc so that I could understand it.

Note. Some vaccines may be injected with a microchip and a holographic image of Bill Gates which lights up when stimulated by a laser to identify the chosen ones.

When the NHS and my doctor recommend a vaccine to me based on the expected betterment of my well being and health I will be happy to make an appointment.  I would also have assumed at that point that the vaccine recommended has been thoroughly tested and the benefits checked by the powers that have the responsibility for those functions.

So far all the vaccines that I have taken since my birth seem to have been as beneficial as they were intended.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

an estimated 1 million in washington.d/c...but it becomes a nonsense...completely violating he guidance on social distancing

that funeral goers had to adhere to in numbers less than 50 .ffs

do you think that is acceptable or reasonable to argue for the mourners?????to grieve a loved one

and no i do not approve of the trump rallly...its stupid

literally millions over a few days ...probably more if you count all locations

when you consider that the Spanish outbreak was likely triggered by a football match of a Spanish team in Italy....

The only saving grace was that the protests were outside...but there again so was the football match

23 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

When the NHS and my doctor recommend a vaccine to me based on the expected betterment of my well being and health I will be happy to make an appointment.  I would also have assumed at that point that the vaccine recommended has been thoroughly tested and the benefits checked by the powers that have the responsibility for those functions.

So far all the vaccines that I have taken since my birth seem to have been as beneficial as they were intended.

I think you can assume that any previous vaccines you had were developed and tested over years not months.

I'm not advocating against any vaccine, just providing information as I see it.

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I think you can assume that any previous vaccines you had were developed and tested over years not months.

I'm not advocating against any vaccine, just providing information as I see it.

Information is good but when it comes to my health I will still take the advice of my doctor who no doubt has been advised accordingly by those responsible for the health of the nation.

There is a lot of money going into the development and, as you say, there are many companies out there trying to produce a vaccine (a goldmine for those who succeed).

I have to believe that when the government, through our our scientists, the National Health Service and general practitioners, suggest it would benefit me to have a vaccine for Covid I would have no issue in taking it.

Just got back from town after doing my weekly shopping at M&S. Fair few people about with little queuing outside most shops. 

Primark must be having it right off, never seen so many people loaded up with bag's. Some had like 6 or more bags. They must be fucking desperate for a £3 t shirt. Must of been half the people with them. 

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Just got back from town after doing my weekly shopping at M&S. Fair few people about with little queuing outside most shops. 

Primark must be having it right off, never seen so many people loaded up with bag's. Some had like 6 or more bags. They must be fucking desperate for a £3 t shirt. Must of been half the people with them. 

Panic buying😀

5 hours ago, fatbhoytim said:

This coronavirus is the strangest virus I've ever heard of. It's very dangerous the way it spreads. It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at B&Q. It is sneaky. It can spread when buying clothes at M&S but not at Tesco. It is non-alcoholic. It can't spread when you are buying beer. It lives for two days on Amazon boxes, you must wait 48 hours to touch them but It can't survive on takeaway coffee cups, so enjoying a hot cup of costa is safe. It is the most curious thing, how it lives on footballs, ballet bars, even loo seats but dies on WWE ropes. It is spread by hair stylists, dog groomers, and dentists, but not by bank tellers, cashiers, and fast food workers. It's so smart. It won’t bother the first 10 people but it knows when the 11th person shows up so be careful if that’s you. It even knows what you want vs what you need. If you want a massage or your nails done it is very actively on the prowl and not even a mask can stop it but If you need a plumber, it is weak, and a mask will keep it away. It won't affect you in a taxi, but your not allowed to take people in your car. It also seems to be most dangerous after 5:30pm so businesses must start to close before the virus comes out and wreaks havoc upon the populations. Whoever heard of such a smart sneaky virus?!? 🤗

brilliant

12 hours ago, fatbhoytim said:

This coronavirus is the strangest virus I've ever heard of. It's very dangerous the way it spreads. It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at B&Q. It is sneaky. It can spread when buying clothes at M&S but not at Tesco. It is non-alcoholic. It can't spread when you are buying beer. It lives for two days on Amazon boxes, you must wait 48 hours to touch them but It can't survive on takeaway coffee cups, so enjoying a hot cup of costa is safe. It is the most curious thing, how it lives on footballs, ballet bars, even loo seats but dies on WWE ropes. It is spread by hair stylists, dog groomers, and dentists, but not by bank tellers, cashiers, and fast food workers. It's so smart. It won’t bother the first 10 people but it knows when the 11th person shows up so be careful if that’s you. It even knows what you want vs what you need. If you want a massage or your nails done it is very actively on the prowl and not even a mask can stop it but If you need a plumber, it is weak, and a mask will keep it away. It won't affect you in a taxi, but your not allowed to take people in your car. It also seems to be most dangerous after 5:30pm so businesses must start to close before the virus comes out and wreaks havoc upon the populations. Whoever heard of such a smart sneaky virus?!? 🤗

The 8.6 Million people who caught it, including the 455,000 (and counting) who so far have died terrible deaths drowning in their own body fluids ?

8 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

its the  hypocritic  policy that is being parodied not the seriousness of the virus itself

You forgot to mention the stupidity of those who won't follow the policies or advocate for the removal (or just ignoring) the policies.

So anyway, back on topic.

UK Coronavirus alert level just reduced from 4 to 3.

2m rule will be reduced to 1m soon as well IMO. 

Hoping to f**k the gyms can open in 'whatever form' next month. Finding it hard to get motivated. Indeed finding it hard to get motivated for anything TBH.

Sooner get back to some normality the better.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Nah, the fuking stupid MAGA crowd.

Speaking of the MAGA crowd & social distancing (Ivar's favorite topic)...
Here's a look at the heart of 'merika...lots of pre-existing conditions on display here...along with hate & a lot of guns...
God save America.

10 minutes ago, Krapow said:

f**k off with the non stop US Politics point scoring on this thread ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it to the US Politics section!

Can't separate the two these days...
Masks and social distancing are proven to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Either you're social distancing to help curtail the spread of COVID-19, or you're not.
Why not?
Politics. Pick your topic. BLM, MAGA, BREXIT (is that still on?)...it doesn't matter.

All things -- good or bad -- go together.
COVID-19 does not care. 

Edited by lazarus
  • Confused 1