COVID 19 GLOBAL

grayray

6 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

As a near 65 year old I would happily take a vaccine just like any other vaccine I have been offered.  Anybody who has had a heart operation is able to have the flu vaccine earlier than their 65th birthday so any vaccine that is deemed by the professionals to support my system at fighting infection is a worthwhile endevour for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

As a near 65 year old I would happily take a vaccine just like any other vaccine I have been offered.  Anybody who has had a heart operation is able to have the flu vaccine earlier than their 65th birthday so any vaccine that is deemed by the professionals to support my system at fighting infection is a worthwhile endevour for me.

Yep I had a brush with cancer a few years ago so I started getting it before 65.In fact before that I used to either pay for it or get it free at work.

Even in the aircraft industry there were some companies who realised a flu outbreak would be bad for productivity and that it did not differentiate between permanent & contract staff.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not encouraging at all.  More than dozen people caught the virus in one Florida bar alone as soon as it reopened.  Arizona, Texas, and Florida each reported their largest one-day increases in new cases.  Between early re-openings,  riots and mass rallies,  the number of infections and death toll of 115,000 will only rise.

I doubt Thailand will allow Americans back in the country before the end of 2020, if then.

Evil

1908415533_ABCNews.JPG.799200d9f6f1eec3d4fecfd7d8d8c56c.JPG

States see record spike in coronavirus cases

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Shame that bar chart doesn't look the same for deaths by Covid-19.

Seems the survival after effects, some permanent, can be pretty bad.

Report Suggests Some ‘Mildly Symptomatic’ Covid-19 Patients Endure Serious Long-Term Effects

...rapid recovery has not been the experience of thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of patients worldwide who’ve been classified as mild cases. Many struggle for months with lingering Covid-19 symptoms that can be debilitating. They exhibit shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, intermittent fevers, cough, concentration issues, chest pressure, headaches, and heart palpitations, among other symptoms. The literature has a name for them: “long-haulers.” ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/06/13/report-suggests-some-mildly-symptomatic-covid-19-patients-endure-serious-long-term-effects/#621962055979

• Great Info 1

5 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Seems the survival after effects, some permanent, can be pretty bad.

Report Suggests Some ‘Mildly Symptomatic’ Covid-19 Patients Endure Serious Long-Term Effects

...rapid recovery has not been the experience of thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of patients worldwide who’ve been classified as mild cases. Many struggle for months with lingering Covid-19 symptoms that can be debilitating. They exhibit shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, intermittent fevers, cough, concentration issues, chest pressure, headaches, and heart palpitations, among other symptoms. The literature has a name for them: “long-haulers.” ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/06/13/report-suggests-some-mildly-symptomatic-covid-19-patients-endure-serious-long-term-effects/#621962055979

The lung damage,if you survive a severe illness, will be catastrophic

As earler"hence the lung transplants now occuring post infection, but the morbidty strain on health services will be immense"

Edited by Ivan the terrible

15 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

so why gather in millions...do you just want jellly beans ???

Ivar: You keep upping that number. First it was  "hundreds of thousands" -- now "millions.."

I've read "tens of thousands" & "thousands of people" ...but not more than that in one location?
Maybe in Oz?

Please provide one legitimate example of a crowd size count that backs up what you write.
Or, are you just pulling a random number out of your boot chute to exaggerate a point.

Example for you:

"...An estimated 100,000 people attended the march, according to Black Lives Matter Los Angeles, which organized the action along with BLD PWR and the rapper YG. Early crowd size estimates by the LAPD placed the number around 20,000 ..."

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/hollywood-protest-sunday/

Here's a photo from London. Seems at least some of the folks were wearing masks...

1052x701_cmsv2_f485b73c-501a-57bc-b80e-eb50398f02c1-4749790.jpg

Protesters gather in support of the Black Lives Matter movement for a protest in Trafalgar Square in central London on 13 June 2020DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP

Edited by lazarus

14 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Ivar: You keep upping that number. First it was  "hundreds of thousands" -- now "millions.."

I've read "tens of thousands" & "thousands of people" ...but not more than that in one location?
Maybe in Oz?

Please provide one legitimate example of a crowd size count that backs up what you write.
Or, are you just pulling a random number out of your boot chute to exaggerate a point.

Example for you:

"...An estimated 100,000 people attended the march, according to Black Lives Matter Los Angeles, which organized the action along with BLD PWR and the rapper YG. Early crowd size estimates by the LAPD placed the number around 20,000 ..."

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/hollywood-protest-sunday/

Here's a photo from London. Seems at least some of the folks were wearing masks...

1052x701_cmsv2_f485b73c-501a-57bc-b80e-eb50398f02c1-4749790.jpg

Protesters gather in support of the Black Lives Matter movement for a protest in Trafalgar Square in central London on 13 June 2020DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/AFP

an estimated 1 million in washington.d/c...but it becomes a nonsense...completely violating he guidance on social distancing

that funeral goers had to adhere to in numbers less than 50 .ffs

do you think that is acceptable or reasonable to argue for the mourners?????to grieve a loved one

and no i do not approve of the trump rallly...its stupid

Edited by Ivan the terrible

49 minutes ago, Ivan the terrible said:

an estimated 1 million in washington.d/c...but it becomes a nonsense...completely violating he guidance on social distancing

that funeral goers had to adhere to in numbers less than 50 .ffs

do you think that is acceptable or reasonable to argue for the mourners?????to grieve a loved one

and no i do not approve of the trump rallly...its stupid

"an estimated 1 million in washington.d/c"
Who estimated? Any documented story to support that number? Police count? Photos?

But now you say it's "nonsense"..?  "...completely violating (t)he guidance on social distancing"...?
Ok...since it's nonsense...who cares? It's already happened. 

FYI, a lot of people in the US are not social distancing in their daily lives...at all, anywhere.
No masks, either. I see this everyday.
Why? Because they still believe it's a hoax. That's what they were told right off the bat...

Or, they're too selfish to be bothered.

As far as honoring the dead? In a traditional "service"..?
There are many ways for families to do this in time of a pandemic...
...without people coming close together in an indoor location, for a long amount of time, singing, sharing food, etc.
Lots of unused sports fields these days.
The interment  -- @ grave side -- should be limited close family members only.

I don't believe that public protests in the time of a pandemic are appropriate, or make sense.

And, I don't believe requiring a person wear to a face mask outside of their home during a pandemic, or restricting some risky business activities, is a violation of people's "rights."

I do believe reforming a culture of discriminatory police action/brutality in the US is very important. Potentially as important as beating the pandemic.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 1

WSJ.JPG.f25ea72d675022404926de459f076731.JPG

The World’s Nightclub Capital Faces an Existential Crisis

Berlin’s legendary club scene has gone quiet. Some fear the party could be over for good.

By 
Ruth Bender

June 13, 2020 8:00 am ET

BERLIN—The saying goes that in Berlin’s nightclubs, you can be or do whatever you want, as long as you don’t put anyone in danger.

In a pandemic, that’s a problem.

Paris has the Louvre, London its royal palaces and Berlin its nightclubs. Rooting back to the years after the fall of the Wall, when wild, improvised parties took place in abandoned industrial buildings, legendary techno club Tresor, rival Berghain and the city’s myriad other dance spots form a wild party scene that caters to all tastes—in music, drugs or sex.

Clubs are among the biggest draws for the 13 million visitors who flock to the laid-back German capital each year and a prime reason young talent moves here to work in one of Europe’s largest startup scenes.

But while Germany’s coronavirus lockdown is now largely history, the thumping bass remains silent and the city fears there might not be a future for its vibrant nightlife economy, at least not until there is a vaccine or an effective treatment for Covid-19. Almost four months since the virus arrived in Europe, the scene is teetering between melancholic resignation, denial and growing fears it may be gone for good.

“Berlin without clubs is like soup without salt,” said Dimitri Hegemann, owner of Tresor, which he founded in 1991. “If the soup isn’t tasty then the young people also won’t come.”

(READ MORE)

This is the complete ranking of all the countries on the Global COVID-19 Recovery Index.  According to the GCI Web site, "The GCI Recovery Index is designed to evaluate the main recovery parameters that are being reported daily to give a clear indication of how a country is performing on its path to recovery in relative comparison to other countries."  The Web site also states  "Developed by PEMANDU Associates in collaboration with Malaysia’s Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) and the Sunway Group, the Global COVID-19 Index (GCI) is designed to pull and analyse data from verified sources for 184 countries all into a single source. This makes it a truly comprehensive index on the pandemic at hand." (LINK)  The list of countries by Recovery Index itself is here.

It's not very encouraging if you're in Canada, the U.S., the U.K. or Sweden if you're hoping to get back to Thailand, which ranks second on the list, topped only by Australia.

Index.JPGIndex2.JPGIndex3.JPGIndex4.JPGIndex5.JPGIndex6.JPGIndex7.JPGIndex8.JPGIndex9.JPG

Edited by Evil Penevil

14 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

14 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I'm afraid we are now in the era of science by press release. No data, no peer reviewed discussion. Just an announcement by AstraZeneca's CEO.

I assume that this announcement is in response to Moderna's press release of a month ago. Again no data, just a "things are going well".

Ya gotta keep the investors happy.

If the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine was the first one available but there were others around the corner I'd be holding off.

The AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine is a viral vector vaccine. The working name is ChAdOx1. Why

• CH for chimpanzee.
  • AD for adenovirus.
  • OX for Oxford.

Don't worry, there isn't any chimpanzee in the vaccine. They take a strain of adenovirus which affects chimpanzees specifically, modify the genome (gene editing) removing the genes which allow the virus to replicate and cause disease. Then they splice into the genome the gene from the SARS-CoV-2 virus for just the spike protein.

The theory is that after the vaccine is injected the adenovirus part will infect cells but instead of making more adenovirus (it can't because the genes have been removed) it will just start making SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The body will recognise the protein as foreign and make an immune response against it such that if the spike protein is encountered on a real SARS-CoV-2 virus the virus will be dealt with.

Why use the chimpanzee strain of the adenovirus. There is a human strain as well. It causes cold like symptoms, sore throat, runny node, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea etc. The problem is most humans have been infected by human adenovirus by the time they reach their twenties and have immunity. So if human adenovirus was used the recipient of the vaccine may mount an immune response against the adenovirus before it had a chance to make the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The vaccine would fail.

This is a possible problem with the ChAdOx1 vaccine. Once exposed to the chimpanzee strain of the virus a person may develop an immunity to that strain as well and any subsequent vaccinations may fail. A problem as AstraZeneca's announcement indicate annual vaccinations may be required. For this reason I'd hold off on any viral vector vaccine unless there were guarantees against cross immunity. Currently there are no viral vector vaccines licensed for human use although some are licensed for animal use.

Moderna are using a similar approach. They are just cutting out the middle virus. Moderna's vaccine (mRNA 1273) is a mRNA vaccine. mRNA is a strand of nucleotides (a gene) which instructs a cell to make a protein. Instead of using a virus to carry the required gene (the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein gene) into a cell, Moderna's approach is to inject the gene direct into the recipient. The end result is the same, cells hopefully start making the spike protein. Currently there are no mRNA vaccines licensed for human use, I don't think there are any for animal use either.

I believe that both the ChAdOx1 and mRNA 1273 vaccine candidates use an "engineered" spike protein gene which deletes the furin cleavage site found on the original. Wouldn't want some random protease  doing cleavage on our spike.

There are many (over 100) vaccine candidates in development but only a few techniques.

One Chinese company, Sino something, is doing it old school. "cook" up a batch of SARS-CoV-2 virus, inactivate them and inject. Same as the current influenza vaccines.

Watch this space, the first to the finish line may not be the winner.

Apologies for dumbing down the microbiology, biochemistry, virology etc so that I could understand it.

Note. Some vaccines may be injected with a microchip and a holographic image of Bill Gates which lights up when stimulated by a laser to identify the chosen ones.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 2

22 minutes ago, fygjam said:

I'm afraid we are now in the era of science by press release. No data, no peer reviewed discussion. Just an announcement by AstraZeneca's CEO.

I assume that this announcement is in response to Moderna's press release of a month ago. Again no data, just a "things are going well".

Ya gotta keep the investors happy.

If the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine was the first one available but there were others around the corner I'd be holding off.

The AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine is a viral vector vaccine. The working name is ChAdOx1. Why

• CH for chimpanzee.
  • AD for adenovirus.
  • OX for Oxford.

Don't worry, there isn't any chimpanzee in the vaccine. They take a strain of adenovirus which affects chimpanzees specifically, modify the genome (gene editing) removing the genes which allow the virus to replicate and cause disease. Then they splice into the genome the gene from the SARS-CoV-2 virus for just the spike protein.

The theory is that after the vaccine is injected the adenovirus part will infect cells but instead of making more adenovirus (it can't because the genes have been removed) it will just start making SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The body will recognise the protein as foreign and make an immune response against it such that if the spike protein is encountered on a real SARS-CoV-2 virus the virus will be dealt with.

Why use the chimpanzee strain of the adenovirus. There is a human strain as well. It causes cold like symptoms, sore throat, runny node, conjunctivitis, diarrhoea etc. The problem is most humans have been infected by human adenovirus by the time they reach their twenties and have immunity. So if human adenovirus was used the recipient of the vaccine may mount an immune response against the adenovirus before it had a chance to make the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein. The vaccine would fail.

This is a possible problem with the ChAdOx1 vaccine. Once exposed to the chimpanzee strain of the virus a person may develop an immunity to that strain as well and any subsequent vaccinations may fail. A problem as AstraZeneca's announcement indicate annual vaccinations may be required. For this reason I'd hold off on any viral vector vaccine unless there were guarantees against cross immunity. Currently there are no viral vector vaccines licensed for human use although some are licensed for animal use.

Moderna are using a similar approach. They are just cutting out the middle virus. Moderna's vaccine (mRNA 1273) is a mRNA vaccine. mRNA is a strand of nucleotides (a gene) which instructs a cell to make a protein. Instead of using a virus to carry the required gene (the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein gene) into a cell, Moderna's approach is to inject the gene direct into the recipient. The end result is the same, cells hopefully start making the spike protein. Currently there are no mRNA vaccines licensed for human use, I don't think there are any for animal use either.

There are many (over 100) vaccine candidates in development but only a few techniques.

One Chinese company, Sino something, is doing it old school. "cook" up a batch of SARS-CoV-2 virus, inactivate them and inject. Same as the current influenza vaccines.

Watch this space, the first to the finish line may not be the winner.

Apologies for dumbing down the microbiology, biochemistry, virology etc so that I could understand it.

Note. Some vaccines may be injected with a microchip and a holographic image of Bill Gates which lights up when stimulated by a laser to identify the chosen ones.

If you take the vaccine that has chimpanzee in it this is what will happen......

EXAMS AND ME : Chimp-Man-Zee

15 hours ago, Ivan the terrible said:

. . .

Note...MASKS

Protesters march down Fifth Avenue in solidarity for police reform on June 10, 2020, in New York City. #David Dee Delgado / Getty

original.jpg