Future holidays

Homor

9 hours ago, Rompho Ray said:

My future holiday plans will be in cooperation with Lady Rompho, once she gets here, so hard to say.  It would be understandable if she wanted to spend time back home with the family, but she has also indicated that she will want to stay here once she gets here.  Likely the compromise is that I'll just send her home without me once in a while for a few weeks.

I'd at least like to think that we'll spend time traveling around the US.  I want her to meet my family and friends, and see the US.  I think my holiday time would be best used creating long weekends so we can do quick getaway vacations, to maximize the number of different things we can see and do together.  Regular weekends can be spent here, a great area for outdoor activities 10 months out of the year.

Pattaya?  Dunno, some time I'm sure.

If I lived in the US I don't think I'd ever have left the country for a holiday. Greatest country on earth by a country mile. 

Edited by dcfc2007

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

If I lived in the US I don't think I'd ever have left the country for a holiday. Greatest country on earth by a country mile. 

Cheers mate.  I agree in spirit and in general, but specific places in the US are no better than any other work-a-day grind-it-out bedroom community, in any other country. 

It happens that where I live now is very lovely, with lots of outdoor activities available, great weather, excellent entertainment options, and very nice people.  Like Pattaya, people from all over come here for holiday (Charleston Harbor is a big stop-off point for cruise ships for example), so I don't really see myself needing to go much of anywhere else during my time off.  Once Lady R. gets here anyway.

Edited by Rompho Ray
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rompho Ray said:

Cheers mate.  I agree in spirit and in general, but specific places in the US are no better than any other work-a-day grind-it-out bedroom community, in any other country. 

It happens that where I live now is very lovely, with lots of outdoor activities available, great weather, excellent entertainment options, and very nice people.  Like Pattaya, people from all over come here for holiday (Charleston Harbor is a big stop-off point for cruise ships for example), so I don't really see myself needing to go much of anywhere else during my time off.  Once Lady R. gets here anyway.

America has the sort of freedoms we can only dream of here in Europe. A huge variation in the landscape, great food, nice people, and some of the greatest cities on earth.

I love visiting the US. The only problem is that with the pound only fetching around 1.23 USD at the moment, it isn't a cheap trip for us on this side of the pond, hotels in the US are mega expensive as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Rompho Ray said:

I don't agree .... 

I just got a email this morning from KLM that my May/June trip has been cancelled. They are trying to give me a voucher instead of a refund and said if I haven't used the voucher within a year I will get my cash back then😂😂  Loads of people giving them shit on social media.  Luckily I used a credit card and was on the phone to them this afternoon and they said just fill in the dispute form on the website and ill get it back.  

The European Union brought out some legislation last month that you should get the choice if you want a refund or a voucher but some airlines are just trying to pass vouchers off to everyone because it will cost them a shitload to pay out. I had a flight cancelled a few weeks ago as well from Emirates and they refunded me straight away.

Got another flight booked for October, hopefully ill get over then 😀

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JPK said:

I just got a email this morning from KLM that my May/June trip has been cancelled. They are trying to give me a voucher instead of a refund and said if I haven't used the voucher within a year I will get my cash back then😂😂  Loads of people giving them shit on social media.  Luckily I used a credit card and was on the phone to them this afternoon and they said just fill in the dispute form on the website and ill get it back.  

The European Union brought out some legislation last month that you should get the choice if you want a refund or a voucher but some airlines are just trying to pass vouchers off to everyone because it will cost them a shitload to pay out. I had a flight cancelled a few weeks ago as well from Emirates and they refunded me straight away.

I had to go through the dispute route as well , Qatar just wouldn't engage ... 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JPK said:

I wouldn’t wait too long to get your Money back .Just reading today that Lufthansa are losing 1million euro every hour of every day . How long more can they keep that going without going bust ??

Planned a HK trip to see some mates, but the way things are going economically most of them have left, or will have left by this summer.

Let's see, probably some good tickets and hotel rate to be had. 

Anyway, no travel for me as long all those government are busy creating silly rules and restrictions overnight.

9 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Planned a HK trip to see some mates, but the way things are going economically most of them have left, or will have left by this summer.

Let's see, probably some good tickets and hotel rate to be had. 

Anyway, no travel for me as long all those government are busy creating silly rules and restrictions overnight.

TS

stop:default_239_fishing: how well is France and Indo doing?

I know that here in Australia we seem to be going gangbusters with travel bans,when you take in account that a large amount of the virus was brought in by cruise ships.

iam happy that there is restrictions in place,even  though a few around the area where I live are not strictly following the rules on visitors.

you are just trying to bait your detractors to get in to a flaming match.

behave mate or :default_deadhorse: :default_acute::default_crazy:

regards

grayray

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, grayray said:

you are just trying to bait your detractors to get in to a flaming match

Nope, definitively not.

I had vaguely a trip to France in mind for Sept, but so many things can happen by then..So I just wait. It's not like I really have to plan.

Concerning Bali, for the moment things are relax here. Balinese are rather "zen and cool" people. Daily life goes on for me, only thing is that with 80% of places closed due to total absence of tourists the place is rather boring.

But still better than many Western countries atm.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

You got it mate and you're right. Why would anybody leave the USA, unless to appreciate how lucky they are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

America has the sort of freedoms we can only dream of here in Europe. A huge variation in the landscape, great food, nice people, and some of the greatest cities on earth.

I love visiting the US. The only problem is that with the pound only fetching around 1.23 USD at the moment, it isn't a cheap trip for us on this side of the pond, hotels in the US are mega expensive as well.

Agree. Worked in Texas I could visit a church or brothel on the same street. The UK is a police state, end of. And an absolute shit, depressing vomit hole to endure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

...etc.

I don't disagree with you mate.  I just try to be balanced about my views, especially now that Mangosteen is entombed with the Cryptkeeper.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grayray said:

only to visit the real greatest place on earth Australia :default_biggrin: 

Funny, after visiting Oz I couldn't understand how anyone ever left there either!  Where you're from is never as good as where you're going I guess, else why go there?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JPK said:

Loads of people giving them shit on social media.

Loads of people that don't stop to think that if airlines go bust due to this, they'll spend the rest of their lives paying through the nose to those that are left who will jack up the prices with no effective competition to force them down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Loads of people that don't stop to think that if airlines go bust due to this, they'll spend the rest of their lives paying through the nose to those that are left who will jack up the prices with no effective competition to force them down.

To be fair though when you book a flight and it gets cancelled you expect to get your money back straight away.  they never signed up to give the airline a interest free loan for a year.

They are taking the piss saying you need to wait a year to redeem the voucher for your money back.

Edited by JPK
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, farangme said:

Agree. Worked in Texas I could visit a church or brothel on the same street. The UK is a police state, end of. And an absolute shit, depressing vomit hole to endure.

Did you see any priests in the brothel?? Lol

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Why should working class people, some who many only fly once or twice a year, foot the bill for a failed business? We did that in 2008 with the banks. f**k them. They are quick to cash in on other people's misery.

Besides, not all airlines will collapse, the well run airlines have already said they have enough capital to get through this, the poor airlines had the begging bowl out less than a month in.

Edited by dcfc2007

6 hours ago, JPK said:

To be fair though when you book a flight and it gets cancelled you expect to get your money back straight away.  they never signed up to give the airline a interest free loan for a year.

They are taking the piss saying you need to wait a year to redeem the voucher for your money back.

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Why should working class people, some who many only fly once or twice a year, foot the bill for a failed business? We did that in 2008 with the banks. f**k them. They are quick to cash in on other people's misery.

Besides, not all airlines will collapse, the well run airlines have already said they have enough capital to get through this, the poor airlines had the begging bowl out less than a month in.

Agree in principle with both of you, but these are unprecedented circumstances.

If we all hold the airlines to account and demand cash then inevitably some will go bust, thus removing competition from the pool and allowing those remaining to dictate prices.  Do we really want to do that and return to the days before easyJet, Ryanair, the Middle East airlines etc were around?  Prices will go up and we'll be paying through the  nose for years to come.

No one will be unable to eat or pay their bills if they lose out on the price of a flight ticket or two, and probably won't even lose out at all looking at the rebooking or voucher terms in many cases, so why pursue an action that could cost you for years to come?

14 hours ago, farangme said:

You got it mate and you're right. Why would anybody leave the USA, unless to appreciate how lucky they are.

Well ... Brooklyn when I grew up wasn't all sunshine up your ass .... more like endless guns and drugs ... Brooklyn was like a Zombie waste land ( all of the seemingly endless death because of the heroin pandemic ) ... 

I wanted out of the relentless "loop" I found myself in ( in and out of jail ) ... I got a chance and I took it .... never looked back !

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

There probably has to be a middle ground somewhere and a deal to be struck, something like they can receive finds on the understanding they pay it back and payments need to be say 50% of profits or something like that.

Simply letting them go to the wall will have too much a big impact on the wider economy which is going to be fked after all this anyway.