Street Photographs From Pattaya Area

john luke

4 minutes ago, Blue Streak said:

A few snaps from Beach Rd this afternoon, this Pride stuff is not really my cup of tea

but a few snaps as I went north from Central....

010.JPG

This snap was meant to show the progress of the bars by the Police Station..lol....

What is that red beast of thing ???

Work has recommenced at the Second Road end of Soi 15:

20230623_140259.jpg

Half way along Soi 15, the boundary wall with the (currently closed) Royal Twins Palace Hotel is being demolished - possibly because it looked in danger of collapsing:

20230622_120851.jpg

20230622_120854.jpg

Shock, horror - work is being done to construct a pavement/sidewalk at many points on the east side of Beach Road between Klang and the Thai Airways office. It could be that this is just remedial work after laying cables, but I don't think it is:

20230624_161416.jpg

20230624_161537.jpg

20230624_161757.jpg

20230624_162452.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bazle said:

Half way along Soi 15, the boundary wall with the (currently closed) Royal Twins Palace Hotel is being demolished - possibly because it looked in danger of collapsing:

20230622_120851.jpg

20230622_120854.jpg

This trend has spread to Hotel Baraquda, whose Soi !5 wall has been demolished in the last 24 hours.

20230625_131256.jpg

Incidentally, Baraquda is no longer part of the Accor Group (ditto the Mercure the other side of Soi 15). They are now part of Heeton Group - https://www.hotelbaraquda.com.

Edited by Bazle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Drain laying work has commenced on the Second Road / Pattaya Tai intersection

B.jpg

and continues up towards Soi 15

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

The Second Road end of Soi 15 is dug up as far as the point the previous work came to a halt, with just a narrow footpath left for pedestrians to try to navigate, 

H.jpg

F.jpg

that is if some selfish c**t didn't park their motorbike on it! 😠

G.jpg

At the other end of Soi 15 (Buakhao end), no work is being done presently. I guess that, even though TiT, closing both ends of the Soi at the same time won't happen. However, there is a heavy duty piece of equipment just waiting to go.

A.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

What I thought was going to be a food market across from Nirun is starting to look more like an overflow area for prisoners.

That be the Nirun Luxury Wing ..

I'm not saying that Nirun is bad ... it's just that you only see Pattaya Vloggers mentioning it as they drive passed without going in ....That is apart from good ol' KiT, and he said that he had to pay a condo owner to film his room !!!

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

37 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

That be the Nirun Luxury Wing ..

I'm not saying that Nirun is bad ... it's just that you only see Pattaya Vloggers mentioning it as they drive passed without going in ....That is apart from good ol' KiT, and he said that he had to pay a condo owner to film his room !!!

I used to live in Nirun when I first moved to Thailand. Enjoyed my stay there, but then accumulated too much stuff and needed a bigger place.

Can't imagine why somebody would want to film a room there. At 26 sq m there isn't much to record, and a photo would tell the same story using a hell of a lot less words.

So at no charge, here's a few pics of Nirun from back in 2010.

Some rightly point out the hallways look like something you'd find in a prison wing.
image.jpeg

And the majority of the rooms are a small 26 sq m, which was fine for me as I used the room only for sleeping and as an office working remotely as a programmer.
image.jpeg

What made it easier for me is I also helped my then TGF start a cafe which was a double, ground floor unit directly across from the building we had our room in. So while our bedroom/office was small, we had a very big kitchen. :default_biggrin:
IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

There's a good story behind the boom box you see in the picture above.

Within a week after opening the cafe we had a couple of Thai guys come in and while looking over the menu one of them pulls out a phone and makes a call. Nothing really unusual about that, except about 5 minutes later a truck pulls up and a couple more Thai enter the cafe and immediately point at the boom box and ask my lady if she had a music license.

She as well as I were clueless there was even such a thing as a music license, but apparently there is such a thing in Thailand. Where she got into trouble was we weren't playing the radio, but instead playing music off a USB stick I had loaded with a mix of Thai and western music.

So they load her and the boom box up in the truck and haul her off to Soi 9. I didn't get knabbed because I pretended to be just a dumb farang customer. Good thing to as at one point one of the "pretend" customers that dropped the dime on her was sitting at a table near me and asked me if I would get him a soda from the fridge. Since I had already deduced he was the advance man on the raiding party, told him I was just a customer and with no WP couldn't get anything for him.

Anywho, about 45 minutes after they carted my lady off I get a tearful call from her that they wanted 50k to issue a music license for both the Thai and western music. Told her no way was I going to lend her that kind of money. She hung up only to call me back 5 minutes later to tell me the pay off, sorry, license was now down to 20k. Told her ok I would lend her the money, but I wasn't about to let them know there was a farang in the background or the price would shoot up even higher. I had her find a friend that would take the money down to Soi 9 and spring her.

I did learn afterwards that while there is a music license, it only applies to a few Thai music companies and there is no such license for western music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2
  • Surprised 1

34 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I did learn afterwards that while there is a music license, it only applies to a few Thai music companies and there is no such license for western music.

Years ago, I was in a late night club on Chaloem Phrakiat 23 Alley with a group of "me so horny" afterwork go-go dancer friends. The music police came in for tax tea money and shut the entire place down. We moved on but the boy 'hosts' looked forlorn as they'd lost their paying lady customers... TiT

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I used to live in Nirun when I first moved to Thailand. Enjoyed my stay there, but then accumulated too much stuff and needed a bigger place.

Can't imagine why somebody would want to film a room there. At 26 sq m there isn't much to record, and a photo would tell the same story using a hell of a lot less words.

So at no charge, here's a few pics of Nirun from back in 2010.

Some rightly point out the hallways look like something you'd find in a prison wing.
image.jpeg

And the majority of the rooms are a small 26 sq m, which was fine for me as I used the room only for sleeping and as an office working remotely as a programmer.
image.jpeg

What made it easier for me is I also helped my then TGF start a cafe which was a double, ground floor unit directly across from the building we had our room in. So while our bedroom/office was small, we had a very big kitchen. :default_biggrin:
IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

There's a good story behind the boom box you see in the picture above.

Within a week after opening the cafe we had a couple of Thai guys come in and while looking over the menu one of them pulls out a phone and makes a call. Nothing really unusual about that, except about 5 minutes later a truck pulls up and a couple more Thai enter the cafe and immediately point at the boom box and ask my lady if she had a music license.

She as well as I were clueless there was even such a thing as a music license, but apparently there is such a thing in Thailand. Where she got into trouble was we weren't playing the radio, but instead playing music off a USB stick I had loaded with a mix of Thai and western music.

So they load her and the boom box up in the truck and haul her off to Soi 9. I didn't get knabbed because I pretended to be just a dumb farang customer. Good thing to as at one point one of the "pretend" customers that dropped the dime on her was sitting at a table near me and asked me if I would get him a soda from the fridge. Since I had already deduced he was the advance man on the raiding party, told him I was just a customer and with no WP couldn't get anything for him.

Anywho, about 45 minutes after they carted my lady off I get a tearful call from her that they wanted 50k to issue a music license for both the Thai and western music. Told her no way was I going to lend her that kind of money. She hung up only to call me back 5 minutes later to tell me the pay off, sorry, license was now down to 20k. Told her ok I would lend her the money, but I wasn't about to let them know there was a farang in the background or the price would shoot up even higher. I had her find a friend that would take the money down to Soi 9 and spring her.

Not far from there, just up near the top of Soi Arunothai there was a French guy who had an open air pizza place. Was lovely pizza, he'd make it himself from scratch.

Anyways, on this one trip about 12 or 15 years ago where i was going to it there was either the football World Cup or Euros on, i can't remember which. He had a large TV there and i'd grab a pizza while watching a game.  Think it was France and someone playing this evening when a Thai guy pulled up, walked over to him, pulled out some card or other, started gesturing to the TV. The French guy looked perplexed, then another couple of Thai's came and they took him away, leaving his waitress in charge. 

I seen him a couple of days later, he said they took him to Soi 9, it was to do with some apparent licence for showing the football. He was shaking his head, saying he was going to close as they make it too hard to do business in Thailand. 

Not sure what ever happened, damn shame, tremendous pizza it was!

• Sad 5

On 7/6/2023 at 3:04 AM, forcebwithu said:

Good Morning Pattaya. A few pics from this morning's walkabout around Pattaya.

P7060017_stitch.jpg

P7060007.jpg

P7060008.jpg

P7060022.jpg

P7060025.jpg

P7060001.jpg

when i was i ntown ovwe xmas new year i stay at classrooms hotel across from penthouse was talking about it and was told indians had bought it.but was also look at the other bar on end wild west.only thing id be worried about that place is bugs and snakes.it need a good going through before opening.was told they was just doign a deep clean and refresh on outside.wild west has been used as a public toilet round back and inside so i believe.see many thais and otehr go round back then come out 5 mins later.plus there a turn table at back when u can spine u car round ive been told

• Like 1

Since my photo of the Penthouse sparked some reminiscing I went back this morning for some interior pictures.

Even in the current state of disrepair I could see what an interesting venue it had been back in the day. I hope they do restore the place as I expect it would do well in this era of cooky cutter beer bars and GC's where few have a unique identity.

DSC_0001.0.jpg

DSC_0001.1.jpg

DSC_0001.8.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg