DO YOU REINVENT YOURSELF WHEN YOU LAND IN THAILAND. ?

tommy dee

One thing that has never changed over the 40+ years I have been visiting Thailand & that's the massive buzz I get when arriving & going from the airport to wherever.Usually Bangkok these days but sometimes Korat or Pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

One thing that has never changed over the 40+ years I have been visiting Thailand & that's the massive buzz I get when arriving & going from the airport to wherever.Usually Bangkok these days but sometimes Korat or Pattaya.

I get that buzz when landing in the Philippines. Better beer as well lol

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm just happy for 3 weeks of peace and quiet to be honest.

I'm the same person I am in UK but with more time to act like an arsehole. The best thing for me, believe it or not is getting into a regular sleep pattern, whereas in the UK I'm permanent shiftwork. That's the only part of myself I reinvent.

Like @Nightcrawler I do enjoy relaxing, having a beer with no schedule behind it to get home, or sitting by the pool topping up my non existent tan, eating when I want, what I want and if I want to scoff a pizza to myself watching a movie in my room, then I will. My mongering days are over, so for me it's possibly a different motivation.

If anyone asks me what I do, I just tell them I'm a warehouseman, (I'm not - nothing wrong with that line of work though) but the last thing I need to do on holiday is talk about my Job, because that's where I've come to get away from it.

No idea why some guys want to Walt on about being in the SAS or whatever, I tend to avoid chatting to people in bars (males anyway 🙂  ) and if someone starts to waffle I make my excuses and leave, it's their insecurities and their problem, and I don't want to be part of it. I've heard my fair share of yarns from blokes in Bars in the past, some real gems, one guy told me he was a multi millionaire while sat there drinking draft in a GoGo bar then moving on when Happy hour ended.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Butch said:

I'm just happy for 3 weeks of peace and quiet to be honest.

I'm the same person I am in UK but with more time to act like an arsehole. The best thing for me, believe it or not is getting into a regular sleep pattern, whereas in the UK I'm permanent shiftwork. That's the only part of myself I reinvent.

Like @Nightcrawler I do enjoy relaxing, having a beer with no schedule behind it to get home, or sitting by the pool topping up my non existent tan, eating when I want, what I want and if I want to scoff a pizza to myself watching a movie in my room, then I will. My mongering days are over, so for me it's possibly a different motivation.

If anyone asks me what I do, I just tell them I'm a warehouseman, (I'm not - nothing wrong with that line of work though) but the last thing I need to do on holiday is talk about my Job, because that's where I've come to get away from it.

No idea why some guys want to Walt on about being in the SAS or whatever, I tend to avoid chatting to people in bars (males anyway 🙂  ) and if someone starts to waffle I make my excuses and leave, it's their insecurities and their problem, and I don't want to be part of it. I've heard my fair share of yarns from blokes in Bars in the past, some real gems, one guy told me he was a multi millionaire while sat there drinking draft in a GoGo bar then moving on when Happy hour ended.

Old male of mine actually was a multi millionaire,was a car dealer back when they were having it right off.

Tight as f**k in Thailand though,hated spending money,all you would hear is 'phoaarr pang mak mak" all day lol.

Was funny though when his Thai wife divorced him when their boy grew up,cost him over half a million in cash and property.

We all had a good laugh about that 🤣

Edited by galenkia
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Butch said:

They now do a San mig lychee and San Mig Apple!.

Tried the San Miguel Apple but not the Lychee, that may change in August when I am there visiting my daughter (she is 31 and will be making sure daddy gets his beer)

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2022 at 6:46 PM, tommy dee said:

i often wonder how many tourists are the same here as at home.  drink daily to excess,  and get laid at every opportunity.  my guess is that most cant or cant afford to at home and so save for their tank emptying here every year.  but then wtf do they do the rest of the year?

Obviously the SAS types resort to their undercover work, and the mllionaires are busy waiting for a giro,, but...

I cant really see the average tourist sat in front of a gas fire watching corrie with a findus ready meal and a can of cheap co op beer.  he must have a life on the other side of the water... OR am I wrong?

I know 13 yrs ag I weighed the odds and decided that aging in the UK wasnt for me.  but that was just me, and I moved here lock stock barrel and container

and you?

We lived there for 4 years (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) and everything changed after about 3-6 months.  Prior to that my visits were for fun with mates, but once I decided to move there things became different. Not just deciding to stick with one GF etc. but it was a complete change of outlook to life - so much better.  One thing I learned was that the need to 'escape' from something to have a great time, meant a lot more about where I was escaping from, that where I was escaping to. 

Hoping to move back in a year or so, and then intend to stay for as long as possible - maybe forever. Not happy with the Junta and all the khrapp they give long term Expats - but it is such a great place to live anyway despite all that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, galenkia said:

Old male of mine actually was a multi millionaire,was a car dealer back when they were having it right off.

Tight as f**k in Thailand though,hated spending money,all you would hear is 'phoaarr pang mak mak" all day lol.

Was funny though when his Thai wife divorced him when their boy grew up,cost him over half a million in cash and property.

We all had a good laugh about that 🤣

Wasn't a Ford Dealer in the 90s down South was he ??

56 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

We lived there for 4 years (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) and everything changed after about 3-6 months.  Prior to that my visits were for fun with mates, but once I decided to move there things became different. Not just deciding to stick with one GF etc. but it was a complete change of outlook to life - so much better.  One thing I learned was that the need to 'escape' from something to have a great time, meant a lot more about where I was escaping from, that where I was escaping to. 

Hoping to move back in a year or so, and then intend to stay for as long as possible - maybe forever. Not happy with the Junta and all the khrapp they give long term Expats - but it is such a great place to live anyway despite all that. 

Would you move to the same area as before or different?.

reason I ask is that when we first established ourselves in an area outside Manila in 2000, it was classed as "provincial" and was peaceful, little traffic and a pleasant area. Since then (and since moving back to UK) Manila has expanded and we're now classed as part of Metro Manila, more traffic, pollution, noise and people around, so as such it doesn't suit our needs for retirement, so we will eventualy be looking elsewhere for a place for mid term rent and then see how it develops.

Retirement for me is a few years away though, so it'll be semi retirement first, if I live long enough that is.

I don't reinvent myself when we get back to the Philippines either, all I tend to do is sit on the balcony with the dogs, drinking Red Horse and eating fresh fruit and sea food most evenings!.

Edited by Butch

16 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I'll never forget landing at Don Muang during my first few visits, and walking out the door upon arrival into that heat and the exotic smell - it was like entering heaven; my flights at the time arrived around 10:00PM and I'd usual make it to Soi Nana just in time to have a quick shower and then head out to the bars for the last hour or so before they closed. Nowadays I arrive in Suvarnabhumi around noon and while the heat is certainly still there, it doesn't quite have the exotic smell that the Don Muang area had - I guess because it's so much further from the city. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

I'll never forget landing at Don Muang during my first few visits, and walking out the door upon arrival into that heat and the exotic smell - it was like entering heaven; my flights at the time arrived around 10:00PM and I'd usual make it to Soi Nana just in time to have a quick shower and then head out to the bars for the last hour or so before they closed. Nowadays I arrive in Suvarnabhumi around noon and while the heat is certainly still there, it doesn't quite have the exotic smell that the Don Muang area had - I guess because it's so much further from the city. 

DM was a nice Airport to land into, my fave memories are looking out of the window of an EVA 747 combi coming into land and wondering what would happen if a golf ball went into the engine lol.

Although Swampy is more convenient, for me it's too hot in there and also too much concrete, it looks and feels awful, but being out of the city, there's not much of a rush hour to contend with as opposed to landing in DM at 15:30, then trying to get out of BKK at 17:00 on a Friday!.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Butch said:

Would you move to the same area as before or different?.

reason I ask is that when we first established ourselves in an area outside Manila in 2000, it was classed as "provincial" and was peaceful, little traffic and a pleasant area. Since then (and since moving back to UK) Manila has expanded and we're now classed as part of Metro Manila, more traffic, pollution, noise and people around, so as such it doesn't suit our needs for retirement, so we will eventualy be looking elsewhere for a place for mid term rent and then see how it develops.

Retirement for me is a few years away though, so it'll be semi retirement first, if I live long enough that is.

I don't reinvent myself when we get back to the Philippines either, all I tend to do is sit on the balcony with the dogs, drinking Red Horse and eating fresh fruit and sea food most evenings!.

Probably we will move down south - not sure where yet - Chiang Mai is getting worse for smoke each year.  Bangkok is too crowded - great place to visit or work, but not to live in retirement we reckon. 

Philippines sounds good - and I sure do eat a lot better too when we are in Thailand. Western food is very fattening and not healthy - but it is hard to avoid. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Daveo said:

Made me smile this one; in my 21 years here I've med snipers, assassins' bank robbers etc, some quite convincing? 

And they all had one thing in common to help them talk of their exploit s...🍺🍺🤪🤪😅

5 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I don't remember my first 3 or 4 arrivals there,so pissed up coming out of Saudi I just remember waking up in the Nana.

So that was you on the curb at Golden bar.

• Haha 2

On 6/6/2022 at 3:46 PM, tommy dee said:

i often wonder how many tourists are the same here as at home.  drink daily to excess,  and get laid at every opportunity.  my guess is that most cant or cant afford to at home and so save for their tank emptying here every year.  but then wtf do they do the rest of the year?

Obviously the SAS types resort to their undercover work, and the mllionaires are busy waiting for a giro,, but...

I cant really see the average tourist sat in front of a gas fire watching corrie with a findus ready meal and a can of cheap co op beer.  he must have a life on the other side of the water... OR am I wrong?

I know 13 yrs ag I weighed the odds and decided that aging in the UK wasnt for me.  but that was just me, and I moved here lock stock barrel and container

and you?

90 % of the time following a nice, bike ride, gym visit, business stop and stop in the market I find myself relaxing with a couple of Changs waiting to figure out what to next make for dinner. 

Wake up the next day "wash and repeat". Happier than a clam.

*** Please excuse me if that came off as lecturing.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Like 1