DO YOU REINVENT YOURSELF WHEN YOU LAND IN THAILAND. ?

tommy dee

i often wonder how many tourists are the same here as at home.  drink daily to excess,  and get laid at every opportunity.  my guess is that most cant or cant afford to at home and so save for their tank emptying here every year.  but then wtf do they do the rest of the year?

Obviously the SAS types resort to their undercover work, and the mllionaires are busy waiting for a giro,, but...

I cant really see the average tourist sat in front of a gas fire watching corrie with a findus ready meal and a can of cheap co op beer.  he must have a life on the other side of the water... OR am I wrong?

I know 13 yrs ag I weighed the odds and decided that aging in the UK wasnt for me.  but that was just me, and I moved here lock stock barrel and container

and you?

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• tommy dee changed the title to DO YOU REINVENT YOURSELF WHEN YOU LAND IN THAILAND. ?
20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Absolutely. I inherit the mentality of a 30 year old, when in Thailand. 

Fine, but the big problem is that you don't inherit the body of a 30 year old! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, tommy dee said:

I know 13 yrs ag I weighed the odds and decided that aging in the UK wasnt for me.  but that was just me, and I moved here lock stock barrel and container

I could'nt agree more Tommy, retirement in Thailand with wifey is just brill compared to my boring life in the UK, and you know what they say "you're only as old as the lady you feel" and she's 31 years younger than me lol

I rest my case.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I dont, at least I think I dont. But Someone whom I know well does. He transforms himself into some kind of gangster persona, sun glasses and lots of fake jewellery, even uses a different name. The last time we were both in Patts at the same time he avoided me

• Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

All my trips were close together 10+ years ago, and I hope I’ve become a much more responsible drinker at 46 vs. 32. But absolutely it’s a different world/lifestyle and my behaviour was much different than back home, especially the drink I consumed. I think cost of living/entertainment is the main thing, most of us are much more responsible when vacationing in a place similar to home, versus all that cheap booze and pussy

To be fair, I think if you DON’T go a little crazy your first few times in Pattaya…..something’s wrong

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I hope I still get the buzz on my next visit and can carry off being a 3 week ageing playboy

Being a "hansum man" for 3 weeks, was quite nice, but these days more likely to be addressed as "papa" 😁😁😁

At least a grocery cashier never gave you the Tuesday seniors’ discount at 45, like me this winter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm me when I'm in Thailand or at home 

Only a few differences takes a few days  to get the ingrained diesel out of my wrinkly hands lol and wake up at a normal time of many hours after sunrise,used to be a total night owl now I'm happy to be in my hotel before midnight .I do drink more in Thailand 4 or5 a night but may be 1-2 bottles a year at home ( but it not so hot , prefer coffee when its cool)

2 hours ago, Nickrock said:

I'm me when I'm in Thailand or at home 

Only a few differences takes a few days  to get the ingrained diesel out of my wrinkly hands

I have seen you at night licking the sumps of baht buses on 2nd road 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't really reinvent myself, I just partake more of the things I enjoy and which have become affordable, either in time (I can drink a bit more as I don't have to get up early) and/or money (like the ladies).

• Thumbs Up 1

Back in the day,on vacation from the sand pit I used to go pretty wild but that was between the ages of 27 to 38 so I could handle it.

Nowadays I'm on hols with the missus and although she gives me plenty of freedom by the time of my next trip in Sept I'll be 69 so a tad more sober.....hopefully😂.

• Like 3

I think on an average year 90% of my alcohol use is in Thailand. And I don't go to Thailand every year, and usually just drink 2 out of 3 days while there, and never before sun down. If I have more than 5 or 6 beers on a night, it is a lot.

I don't need alcohol to say or do bizarre stuff. 🤣

Other than that I think i am pretty much myself. I mean, I pay people to work for me in both places, so I can be as lazy as possible - though, the jobs are different.

• Like 1

Well, the first few trips are always the best and I loved the anticipation of planning my next trip and watching the days go by until you get on that plane and go; I was in my mid-40s when I first visited Thailand and gave the whole experience my best for the first fifteen years or so but now that i am into my mid-60s I find that over the last two or three trips I've slowed down a lot and come to spend the time there more like an expat - I don't need to find a girl or get pissed every day anymore. I've always tended to stay out much later in Pattaya than at home when I do go out because it's so much more interesting and fun - here I am always home from happy hour by 7:00PM or so because I simply get bored, it costs too much and taxis are stupidly expensive - I love being able to get around cheaply and easily in Pattaya. 

But to answer the topic question, I don't think I ever really changed myself much in Pattaya from who I am at home other than being much more attentive to the ladies - I lost interest in any local relationships long ago, any women who would be interested in me at home would have to be within ten years of my age and are all carrying too much baggage from previous relationships, not to mention setting every gossip's tongue wagging as well - so much easier and more satisfying in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Kind of...

I've been a Doctor , Lawyer , Ex Footballer so yeah 🤣🤣

Never to a farang just girls (after constantly hearing "Hello Mistuuur" bla bla bla

Just for the crack all said with a grin and glint in the eye.

Would never have took it past bar chat

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, Nightcrawler said:

Absolutely. I inherit the mentality of a 30 year old, when in Thailand.

I suspect the majority of visitors to Pattaya regress rather further than that.     :default_1087:

• Great Info 1

46 minutes ago, roomark said:

Kind of...

I've been a Doctor , Lawyer , Ex Footballer so yeah 🤣🤣

Never to a farang just girls (after constantly hearing "Hello Mistuuur" bla bla bla

Just for the crack all said with a grin and glint in the eye.

Would never have took it past bar chat

Ah yes, I think I played against you in the World Cup finale. You was the midfielder with the crooked leg. I was the walleyed goalkeeper.

• Haha 3