Using Google Maps as satnav in Thailand?

coxyhog

Does anyone know if it's possible & do you have to get a special sim card?

I've been driving there for many years but have always depended upon my personal satnav,ie the missus.

Would be handy to have a proper one that won't give me shit if I take a wrong turning.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

I've been driving there for many years but have always depended upon my personal satnav,ie the missus.

Would be handy to have a proper one that won't give me shit if I take a wrong turning.

Works perfectly mate all over including deepest Isaan  ........ 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, coxyhog said:

It works off the GPS built into your phone and "talks" to satellites etc. No special sim card etc needed. No need to even be connected to your phone provider either.

Google maps let you put in trips etc and a voice will guide you and plot your location on the map etc. Good idea to have a bracket near your dashboard for your phone to see the screen from time to time and to make sure its not leading you astray 😜

If you take your own shortcut on a trip you can just get back on track later etc and the voice directions will continue.

Trips can be preferences to avoid road tolls if its (unlikely) an issue.

Have used this around Sydney and on trips etc.

I also have it on when riding from Swampy to Pattaya in the taxi 😜

Edited by Zeb
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 3

Amazing technology and also amuses me that you get the same lady guiding you in the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands, Greece, Thailand and the UK, yes I know she`s computer generated but that doesn`t stop me getting over familiar with her at times :default_fing37:  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 5

I've used it in Isaan (Korat, Buriram, Surin) in Rayong and Chonburi, and for our biannual trips back to Buriram from Rayong.  It works great and is also can reroute around traffic problems.

Newer vehicles are coming out with Android Auto and Apple Carplay so you can plug your phone into the car.  Then the map comes up on the in dash screen and directions through the sound system.

• Great Info 1

2 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

By the law of averages, the more people using satnav the more news reports we're bound to hear where the excuse for driving into a lake or canal is, "Not my fault, I was just following where my GPS told me to go".

During the past few years google maps has sent 4 vehicles (that I know of) down my firebreak where they get bogged and need a 4WD recovery service to get them out.

This wasn't one of them. (A local bus driver)

image.png

The driver put his trust in Google Maps but didn't realise that a section of Fiegert Road near Pinjarra was unsealed, becoming a soft sand track where a four wheel drive function is a must.

Edited by fygjam
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:40 AM, Zeb said:

It works off the GPS built into your phone and "talks" to satellites etc. No special sim card etc needed. No need to even be connected to your phone provider either

For google maps and directions i thought you would need either a wifi connection or mobile broadband (so a cellular network and SIM card) is there another way?

6 hours ago, Zambo said:

For google maps and directions i thought you would need either a wifi connection or mobile broadband (so a cellular network and SIM card) is there another way?

On 8/23/2022 at 8:02 PM, bob lt said:

I have downloaded maps to use offline. Google maps allows and they can be updated periodically when you have access to wifi.

I currently have my local UK area, Pattaya, HCMC and VungTau saved.