What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Started work on the garden shade canopy. Today ran 2mm stainless steel support wires from the house to the fence. Tomorrow I'll run 1mm wire stringers and lay 50% UV mesh netting over the wires. Should allow enough sunlight through so the plants can grow while reducing temps under the canopy.

P2260003.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Finished day 2 of my garden shade canopy project. Had hoped to get both the stringers installed and the UV mesh netting, but it was just too bloody hot out there to finish. Started making stupid mistakes because I was overheating.

The two outside stringers are 2mm wire with turnbuckle tensioners to take up excess slack. I had the stringers spread out and when I installed the the outside stringer, I didn't notice I had pulled it too tight making all the other stringers loose. I blame it on the heat as at that point I just wanted to finish up and get out of the sun. I'll be redoing that stringer tomorrow.

P2270001.jpg

P2270011.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Finished day 2 of my garden shade canopy project. Had hoped to get both the stringers installed and the UV mesh netting, but it was just too bloody hot out there to finish. Started making stupid mistakes because I was overheating.

The two outside stringers are 2mm wire with turnbuckle tensioners to take up excess slack. I had the stringers spread out and when I installed the the outside stringer, I didn't notice had pulled it too tight making all the other stringers loose. I blame it on the heat as at that point I just wanted to finish up and get out of the sun. I'll be redoing that stringer tomorrow.

P2270001.jpg

P2270011.jpg

It is difficult to tell with these pics but what is your plan for managing the water coming off the roof when it pisses it down after the UV mesh is installed.

Certainly with "straw" roofs the angle of the dangle is important depending on what you want to happen to the run-off...

11 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is difficult to tell with these pics but what is your plan for managing the water coming off the roof when it pisses it down after the UV mesh is installed.

Certainly with "straw" roofs the angle of the dangle is important depending on what you want to happen to the run-off...

Good question. Never gave any thought to rainwater runoff. The weave of the mesh if open enough it may allow the water to run through. If not then my next project will be installing a short run of rain gutter, which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. I could the capture the runoff for use in the garden on dry days.

P2270002.jpg

18 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Good question. Never gave any thought to rainwater runoff. The weave of the mesh if open enough it may allow the water to run through. If not then my next project will be installing a short run of rain gutter, which wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. I could the capture the runoff for use in the garden on dry days.

P2270002.jpg

May I be impertinent and suggest fitting the gutter at the end of the existing roof... before you fit the screen mesh. The angle looks too flat on the screen mesh support wires to effectively deal with run-off from the roof.. 

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

May I be impertinent and suggest fitting the gutter at the end of the existing roof... before you fit the screen mesh. The angle looks too flat on the screen mesh support wires to effectively deal with run-off from the roof.. 

Good suggestion, but I think to do as you suggest would require reinstalling the support wires lower to make room for a regular style gutter. More work than I want to undertake, so I may end up installing a shallow type of channel whose main purpose is to just redirect the bulk of the runoff from the mesh netting to a catch basin on either side. I'll report back after the first big storm how the mesh faired doing nothing at all.

P2270001.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Good suggestion, but I think to do as you suggest would require reinstalling the support wires lower to make room for a regular style gutter. More work than I want to undertake, so I may end up installing a shallow type of channel whose main purpose is to just redirect the bulk of the runoff from the mesh netting to a catch basin on either side. I'll report back after the first big storm how the mesh faired doing nothing at all.

P2270001.jpg

Or fit the mesh just short of the roof so in effect you have done nothing to change the existing route of the rain run off but still achieve everything you intend to achieve and protect the plants from direct sunlight .....In which case a couple of bamboo poles would have been sufficient ........(Sorry - I think I may have been in the company of Thai men doing drunken bodge jobs too long!)

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Or fit the mesh just short of the roof so in effect you have done nothing to change the existing route of the rain run off but still achieve everything you intend to achieve and protect the plants from direct sunlight .....In which case a couple of bamboo poles would have been sufficient ........(Sorry - I think I may have been in the company of Thai men doing drunken bodge jobs too long!)

There's nowt wrong with bamboo Mr. Dangle, brilliantly versatile stuff  !!

Edited by SteveBC
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

I designed the stringers to slide over the support wires to make it easier to unfold and install the mesh netting. So If the mesh looks like it'll be torn apart in a deluge, it'll be easily enough to move that section of netting away from the waterfall.
P2270011.jpg

My original idea was to use bamboo and build a pergola. Think it would have made a beautiful support structure for a sun shade, but as I imagined the steps to build the sucker I realized it would have been more complicated to build than the wire supported canopy.
bamboe-pergola-5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1