Favorite Phrases (or lines), Expressions or Short Poems

Glasseye

One of mine.....

"No expectations, no disappointments"

I picked this up from a guy I trained when he joined the department. Then worked with him for many years. There are only maybe a handful of other guys I would have as much confidence working on my side going on a radio call (or working a case).

He retired at the age of 56. Four months after retirement he got up one night to take a piss, but couldn't. Two months later he was dead.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

I saw this quote when I was deciding whether to take redundancy and go travelling back in 2014 

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines! Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!"

it is often attributed to Mark Twain , but like many of these inspirational quotes , it's fairly modern ... it's actually from a book written in 1990 .. anyway I took the cash and the rest is history 😎

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

I saw this quote when I was deciding whether to take redundancy and go travelling back in 2014 

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines! Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!"

it is often attributed to Mark Twain , but like many of these inspirational quotes , it's fairly modern ... it's actually from a book written in 1990 .. anyway I took the cash and the rest is history 😎

I like this one a lot,inspired me to do as .many munros,and hiking  while my legs,body are still able.

This was read out at a mate's funeral 

Smile

Smiling is infectious
 You catch it like the flu
 When someone smiled at me today
 I started smiling too

I walked around the corner
 And someone saw me grin
 When he smiled I realised
 I had passed it on to him

I thought about the smile
 And then realised its worth
 A single smile like mine
 Could travel round the earth

So if you feel a smile begin
 Don’t leave it undetected
 Start an epidemic
 And get the world infected

Spike Milligan

• Like 3
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, galenkia said:

‘There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots’.

Frank Spencer.

I would love to think it was Frank Spencer but it was quoted a little before his character hit the screens.

“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.”

E. Hamilton Lee 1949

I remember learning to fly in Fort Worth, Meacham Airfield, in Texas back in 1980; it was a phrase that was recited to me numerous times by my instructor.

It was also a phrase, my good friend Captain Fitzroy, told me from the cockpit of his Royal Brunei 737 as we were flying into Hong Kong and when he decided to have another go after aborting the landing.

• Great Info 1

13 hours ago, Stillearly said:

This was read out at a mate's funeral 

Smile

Smiling is infectious
 You catch it like the flu
 When someone smiled at me today
 I started smiling too

I walked around the corner
 And someone saw me grin
 When he smiled I realised
 I had passed it on to him

I thought about the smile
 And then realised its worth
 A single smile like mine
 Could travel round the earth

So if you feel a smile begin
 Don’t leave it undetected
 Start an epidemic
 And get the world infected

Spike Milligan

Love it mate. Wonderful.

I have gotten so I can often even tell when someone is smiling even when they are wearing a mask. It's not 100 %, but it sure is fun to share a smile for even a short moment with someone in passing, a shop clerk and especially a good friend.

I throw out an evil eye from time to time, because sometimes it's  necessary to make a point quickly (safety related type thing).

But when those shared smiles that are connected by a common observation or word, it's like magic, even if just for a second. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, galenkia said:

When my dad took me to football as a kid, when someone hit a shot at goal and was way out, he would say’ he couldn’t hit an elephants arsehole with a mallet’.

Our equivalent was "he couldn't hit a cow on the arse with a banjo"

• Like 1