Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

• 4 weeks later...

No idea what's causing it, I don't smell the tell-tale acrid tang of smoke, and the AQI is worse than Bangkok and a lot worse than anywhere up-country. It seems to be a local problem in the southern Chon Buri/western Rayong area. Maybe the Mayor's come up with a new way to fog the entire area to kill any farangs covid-19 virus that might be left in the city, lol?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

No idea what's causing it, I don't smell the tell-tale acrid tang of smoke, and the AQI is worse than Bangkok and a lot worse than anywhere up-country. It seems to be a local problem in the southern Chon Buri/western Rayong area. Maybe the Mayor's come up with a new way to fog the entire area to kill any farangs covid-19 virus that might be left in the city, lol?

My guess is a localized inversion later. There's a warmer layer of air over a cooler layer of air close to the ground. The result is the usual industrial and vehicle pollution common to around here is trapped close to the ground.

• Surprised 1

4 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

yesterday was worse, a real smog pea souper from 1pm on.  this morning visiblity was bad from sun up.  wierd but maybe we just need some wind and rain

Because it got worse in the afternoon with the sun at its zenith leads me to believe it's photochemical smog. To fix that they'll need to get all the dirty vehicles off the road, and put a cap on pollutants produced by the industrial estates.

What Causes Photochemical Smog?

A chemical reaction between solar ultraviolet radiation and an atmosphere polluted with hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen causes photochemical smog. This is especially common from automobile exhaust. Smog can happen both during the day and at night, but photochemical smog only happens in the presence of sunlight. Photochemical smog is a widespread problem all over the world as air pollutants increase.

Photochemical smog happens when nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds react together in the presence of sunlight as a catalyst and form ozone at lower levels. The nitrogen oxides come from vehicle exhausts, and volatile organic compounds come from many chemicals, such as paint and cleaning agents. The effects of smog on human health and the environment are serious and harmful. The toxic chemicals formed in a photochemical smog can irritate nasal passages and eyes. Breathing problems can become aggravated due to prolonged exposure to smog conditions. Some of the toxins created by chemical reactions in the photochemical smog are carcinogenic. The acidic nature of the smog can also cause environmental damage and structural decay in dwellings.

Cities with a geography that does not allow proper dispersal of emissions by wind and helps the smoke get trapped by extreme weather conditions experience summer smog. The abundance of sunlight and high temperatures during the summer speeds up chemical reactions in the atmosphere, which, mingled with humidity, creates dense smog. At times, temperature inversions at higher altitudes lead to the formation of summer photochemical smog by trapping a humid layer of air below a layer of warm air, which holds up the pollutants. Coastal cities surrounded by hills or mountains are prime candidates for summer smog.

• Thumbs Up 1

"The Thaiger" seems to think it is caused by sugar cane burning. This is from their webpage:

(I won't post the link as the webpage also contains matters that are forbidden to be mentioned here!)

Residents express health concerns as smog engulfs Pattaya

Pattaya residents are expressing concern over a recent spate of air pollution, as the coastal city finds itself engulfed in smog.

The deterioration in air quality has been ongoing for a number of days, with a cloud of haze obscuring the bay and neighbouring islands.

It comes as mass sugar cane burning is again taking place in farming communities around the country, an activity that has caused air quality problems in the past. While sugar cane burning is technically illegal, residents say the law is not strongly enforced, resulting in an annual rise in air pollution levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, tommy dee said:

there is no sugar cane for hundreds of miles from here and sugar cane smog is black snow, easy to distinguish

thaiger has it wornfg i am afraid

The Fire Information for Resource Management System site uses satellites to track fires around the world. The current picture supports the idea there isn't much burning going on around here. Come January and February though, there will be a lot more red on the map.

Screen Shot 11-21-20 at 07.17 AM.JPG

28 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

The Fire Information for Resource Management System site uses satellites to track fires around the world. The current picture supports the idea there isn't much burning going on around here. Come January and February though, there will be a lot more red on the map.

Screen Shot 11-21-20 at 07.17 AM.JPG

yea from xmas on, mainly the north and north eat.  no can really to think of grows around here.  this smog is f all to do with cane burning.  

from my studio I look over to sattahip,. the bay and ban chang.  normally, unless rainy, we can see everything clearly,  as it is we see the haze, like a morning mist that never lifts from sun up onwards

When I drove down from Mae Sot to Pattaya/Bangsaray two weeks ago there was a haze the whole length of the 8 hour drive. 

The sun was sort of out but one could not see blue sky at all. I remember thinking at the time that this cannot be good for our health.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

There's a thread running in the News section on Thai Visa that calls this stuff a "smaze" (no explanation why smog has gone out of fashion, lol).  At least they admit that they have no idea where it's come from.

When I was a kid I can remember a real London pea super smog lasting for a couple of weeks or more at a time and it was a real killer.

All houses burned coal in those days. I remember the coalman delivering a ton at a time and carrying the sacks through our living room to tip them into the cellar. I used to get sent down into the cellar to fill up the coal skuttle and being frightened to death of spiders.

Then I used to get sent up the chimney to clean the soot.

That last line was me telling porkies!   🤣

When I lived in the inner city of Chicago (Near North side actually) I would come out of my building around 0630 walking to work. I'd look down the long straight street which dead ended at Lake Michigan. At that time of day I could see the ash that had accumulated on the parked cars, even after only one day. 

As I looked further down the street I could see various spots where the broken glass from the busted out car windows lay on the pavement. The angle of the sun that time of day would reflect off the glass covered in the morning dew. 

Ahhhh, I would think to myself. Another wonderful day ahead of me.

• Surprised 1

• 3 weeks later...