Air Pollution - Pattaya

john luke

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

It is a result of all the crop burning that goes on around us but I had no idea it was as bad as shown in your chart. 😬

No sign of any blue sky just haze.

It was however very windy yesterday which I am not sure was a good thing or not?

Back to Bangsaray tomorrow if we get through the check points.

Crop Burning is NOT the cause of this pollution.......The pollution belt goes from North Africa to North China and its been hanging around for months.... 

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26;45;2&l=pm25

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Out for a bike ride this morning and was thinking the haze sure looks thick this morning. AQI confirms what I was seeing. Not a healthy day to be out exercising.

image.png

Not looking good for @Jambo in Mae Sot either.

image.png

I was going to post but almost nobody seems to care much unless the pollution is really really really bad on a particular day.....Like I said before my room gives me a perfect view of the YUCK.....

Edited by fforest

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Crop Burning is NOT the cause of this pollution.......The pollution belt goes from North Africa to North China and its been hanging around for months.... 

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26;45;2&l=pm25

Not so sure about that. Check out NASA's Fire Map. Flip back to earlier dates on the map and you can see how there are more fires now compared to the earlier dates.

14 minutes ago, fforest said:

I have had it with the air pollution in Pattaya....I even notice the bad air in my apartment now...I think I will be buying a air purifier......Now I have to decide which one.....I want cheap and good......any recommendations....   

An air purifier is a really expensive way to buy a fan, a HEPA filter and a box. The fan sits in the box, draws air in through the filter and then blows it back out again.

However, a while back I looked around and saw that the surfaces I had dusted a couple of years ago had dust on them again. I thought an air purifier might be the solution.

For the Boxing day sales I noticed that a nearby electrical store had Samsung air purifiers 20% off. So I got a couple. 

Set one up in the bedroom, switched it on and after a minute or so it settled down and the particulate display for PM10, PM2.5 and PM1 all read 5 micrograms per cubic metre, pretty good air quality. (I later read the manual and the display goes from 5-999 micrograms per cubic metre.) In fact the display almost always read 5 and I thought the detector might be faulty until a couple of weeks ago when a wind shift brought in  smoke from a bushfire. The the display read over 300.

The model I have is a Samsung AX5500, meant to be good for areas up to 60 square metres. The do have a larger one for areas up to 90 square metres.

Ah, I do miss Pattaya and the black feathers that used to form on the trailing edge of the ceiling fan. Clean them off and a couple of weeks later they were back.

As I said at the start, an air purifier is basically a fan, a filter and a box. After that comes the bells and whistles. Work out what area you want to cover. Also check the cost of replacement filters. Samsung suggest that using the purifier 24 hours per day filters should last 6-12 months. Guess it depends how dirty the air is.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, fforest said:

I have had it with the air pollution in Pattaya....I even notice the bad air in my apartment now...I think I will be buying a air purifier......Now I have to decide which one.....I want cheap and good......any recommendations....   

I have the SHARP FP-F30TA-C that I bought back in 2016. Supposed to be good for rooms up to 21 sqm, which is fine for my home office. About every six months I take the filter out and clean it with a compressed air blast and then use a vacuum on it. That seems to be enough to keep the air flow unrestricted, so haven't felt the need to change the filter.

• Like 1

Yesterday I drove over 600klm from the north west of Thailand right down round Bangkok, past the airport and met the Sukhumvit road at Jomtien near Ocean Marina.

There was hazy pollution throughout the whole journey and I never saw a sign of any blue sky until quite literally close to Bangsaray. The only difference was that in some areas it was considerably worse than others.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:36 AM, forcebwithu said:

I have the SHARP FP-F30TA-C that I bought back in 2016. Supposed to be good for rooms up to 21 sqm, which is fine for my home office. About every six months I take the filter out and clean it with a compressed air blast and then use a vacuum on it. That seems to be enough to keep the air flow unrestricted, so haven't felt the need to change the filter.

Well after looking at air purifiers for a ridiculous amount of time....I getting close to pulling the trigger on this one....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-fp-j30ta-1-23-sharp-air-purifier-i225765068-s388576081.html?

Which is almost the exact same one you have.........

There are cheaper ones that might be ok but many of them conveniently leave out their particle size micron rating..... 

This one has  0.3 micron rating and filters 99.97% of the junk in the air.... 

Plus it has the Plasmacluster negative ion sprayer.....

The Thais are not to helpful they give 5 stars to pretty much all air purifiers...

8 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well after looking at air purifiers for a ridiculous amount of time....I getting close to pulling the trigger on this one....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-fp-j30ta-1-23-sharp-air-purifier-i225765068-s388576081.html?

Which is almost the exact same one you have.........

There are cheaper ones that might be ok but many of them conveniently leave out their particle size micron rating..... 

This one has  0.3 micron rating and filters 99.97% of the junk in the air.... 

Plus it has the Plasmacluster negative ion sprayer.....

The Thais are not to helpful they give 5 stars to pretty much all air purifiers...

Looks like a good one, especially the one in pink. :default_biggrin:

Mine has an ion button and something called "Clean Ion Shower", neither of which I ever use. Same with the high fan setting. Like most things, don't need all the bells and whistles, just the basic model is fine by me.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 5:56 PM, forcebwithu said:

Looks like a good one, especially the one in pink. :default_biggrin:

Mine has an ion button and something called "Clean Ion Shower", neither of which I ever use. Same with the high fan setting. Like most things, don't need all the bells and whistles, just the basic model is fine by me.

Well I got my Sharp Air purifier today....

I bought a cheap one online....

I ruled out buying a cheaper brand of air purifier ....I think the cheaper ones were to risky quality wise,so I payed a extra 1,000 for the Sharp....

Hey Forcesbwithyou I was wondering when you turn on the "Ion Shower" button do you notice anything different?

The Ion button will put the fan in high mode, but I am not sure how I can know the Ion Shower is working other than the little light comes on to say its on......

We can't see Ions so it's a bit of a mystery if its working or not...

Thanks Forest.....

Edited by fforest

5 minutes ago, fforest said:

Well I got my Sharp Air purifier today....

I bought the cheapest one in all of Thailand here.....

https://shopee.co.th/product/199265435/9114712942

I ruled out buying a cheaper brand of air purifier ....I think the cheaper ones were to risky quality wise,so I payed a extra 1,000 for the Sharp....

Hey Forcesbwithyou I was wondering when you turn on the "Ion Shower" button do you notice anything different?

The Ion button will put the fan in high mode, but I am not sure how I can know the Ion Shower is working other than the little light comes on to say its on......

We can't see Ions so it's a bit of a mystery if its working or not...

Thanks Forest.....

Just turned my Clean Ion Shower on and like you can't smell anything different that would indicate it's having an effect.

As luck would have it though, my latest toy from Lazada arrived today. A SNDWAY SW-825 PM2.5 detector. So I ran some tests to see if the meter can quantify what my nose can't detect.

Outside the detector is currently showing this as the PM2.5 number.
P2270013.jpg

And just outside my office door...
P2270014.jpg

In the comfort of my office with the purifier going at the medium fan setting and no Clean Ion Shower it drops down to...
P22700012.jpg

And sitting on top of the purifier it's even a bit lower...
P2270001.jpg

However when I kicked on the Clean Ion Shower it immediately jumped up to around 12, probably because the increased fan speed was blowing accumulated dust out, but in a few minutes settled down to...
P2270003.jpg

Conclusion, Clean Ion Shower is probably not worth the extra cost, nor even the small bit of extra electricity required to run it.

• Great Info 1

8 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just turned my Clean Ion Shower on and like you can't smell anything different that would indicate it's having an effect.

As luck would have it though, my latest toy from Lazada arrived today. A SNDWAY SW-825 PM2.5 detector. So I ran some tests to see if the meter can quantify what my nose can't detect.

Outside the detector is currently showing this as the PM2.5 number.
P2270013.jpg

And just outside my office door...
P2270014.jpg

In the comfort of my office with the purifier going at the medium fan setting and no Clean Ion Shower it drops down to...
P22700012.jpg

And sitting on top of the purifier it's even a bit lower...
P2270001.jpg

However when I kicked on the Clean Ion Shower it immediately jumped up to around 12, probably because the increased fan speed was blowing accumulated dust out, but in a few minutes settled down to...
P2270003.jpg

Conclusion, Clean Ion Shower is probably not worth the extra cost, nor even the small bit of extra electricity required to run it.

Wow........Great info......Those meter readings make me glad I bought the Sharp.......

The Sharp has only been out of the box for a few hours now but I will post a update after a number of days of using it.......Thanks......Forest

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, fforest said:

Wow........Great info......Those meter readings make me glad I bought the Sharp.......

The Sharp has only been out of the box for a few hours now but I will post a update after a number of days of using it.......Thanks......Forest

Another data point. This morning the office reading was sitting at 67. I closed the window and door, turned on the A/C and air purifier and 30 minutes later the reading is now hovering between 2 and 3. My office is 4m x 4m to give you an idea of the volume of air that was cleaned over the course of half an hour. Quite happy with how effective the purifier is at cleansing the air.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

10 minutes ago, KWA said:

Would putting a hepa filter in your air con unit have the same effect?  It draws and expels room air but is there enough volume going through it to clean enough crap out?

I think it would work IF you could find a filter that fits...But Air Con units are big energy using hogs.....The air purifiers on low fan setting only use a little bit of power,so energy usage I dont think is a big concern...

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, fforest said:

I think it would work IF you could find a filter that fits...But Air Con units are big energy using hogs.....The air purifiers on low fan setting only use a little bit of power,so energy usage I dont think is a big concern...

Filter from Lazada and cut to size.  Air con on fan only mode?

The reason I ask is a mate already has this air con setup but has also just ordered a purifier.

Here is my update on my Sharp air purifier.....

This air purifier....Is quite as a mouse.....

On the low settings it is so quiet you don't know its running....And on the low fan setting I think it uses so little power that it might as well be free.......

Its been running 24/7 since I got it.......It really does seem to freshen-up the condo, pollution or no pollution.....

When the pollution is bad outside it's the greatest feeling to be breathing in clean air while looking at Pattaya covered by a cloud of muck......

Come on 2,500 baht to be breathing in clean air,all year, with negligible power cost........ Someone kick me in the ass for being stupid and not buying this years ago......

Edited by fforest
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, fforest said:

Here is my update on my Sharp air purifier.....

This air purifier....Is quite as a mouse.....

On the low settings it is so quiet you don't know its running....And on the low fan setting I think it uses so little power that it might as well be free.......

Its been running 24/7 since I got it.......It really does seem to freshen-up the condo, pollution or no pollution.....

When the pollution is bad outside it's the greatest feeling to be breathing in clean air while looking at Pattaya covered by a cloud of muck......

Come on 2,500 baht to be breathing in clean air,all year, with negligible power cost........ Someone kick me in the ass for being stupid and not buying this years ago......

Good to hear the new purifier is working well for you. Until I bought the detector I hadn't realized just how well these work at cleaning the air.

And as per your request, here you go...

tenor.gif

• Haha 1