Do you enjoy researching holidays?

Krapow

I mean, from searching flights, to where to go, what to do, what hotels, what time of year, prices etc etc?

Or can you not be arsed, you leave it to the missus/mate/travel agent/same places you know and trust etc?

I enjoy it, I like looking at the reviews, trying to work out what's best,  looking at what I can do, when is best for our needs, dates, working it all out, best VFM prices I can get etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes I enjoy it , but I do get travel agents involved when going somewhere new , like Myanmar and Vietnam , just to make my life easier, but I set out want I want to do from my research and the things that are most important to me , then let them come up with an itinerary / but otherwise I use forums like this for ideas , instagram, FB , television etc 

I mostly use Kayak for flights and Booking.com / Trivago for hotels - I have used viator to book day trips when I had limited time in a destination - trip advisor for hotel and restaurant reviews ( although I take those with an extremely large pinch of salt .. ) 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 2

9 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Yes I enjoy it , but I do get travel agents involved when going somewhere new , like Myanmar and Vietnam , just to make my life easier, but I set out want I want to do from my research and the things that are most important to me , then let them come up with an itinerary / but otherwise I use forums like this for ideas , instagram, FB , television etc 

I mostly use Kayak for flights and Booking.com / Trivago for hotels - I have used viator to book day trips when I had limited time in a destination - trip advisor for hotel and restaurant reviews ( although I take those with an extremely large pinch of salt .. ) 

I find I use Trip Advisor, skyscanner and hotels.com mostly, and also look at the 'direct' website, whether it be hotels or flights. Don't think I've used a travel agent in years. 

I also find when I decide where i'm going, whether it be in Asia or Europe, I search, find and join a Facebook group or two from there, have a good read for a little while, ask what I need to ask, get good info that way. 

Forums as well as you say, have joined ones just specifically for a trip, like a Surin one when I wanted to go up for the elephant round up a few years ago. But mostly try Facebook groups first nowadays. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I normally book our flights at least 6 months out. In the following months I throw out suggestions to the missus of places we might visit during our trip. Once we decide on somewhere then I start the process of finding decent travel and accommodation options.

I do enjoy doing this. I just wish the missus liked cruising and train travel as much as I do as this would open up a lot of holiday options.

I will mostly research using forums such as this forum, YouTube, Trip Advisor, I try not to do make plans before I go to Thailand as things can change when I'm there I have not used travel agents in years I like to do try and plan things as when I feel the urge. Myself I travel on my own for the most part sometimes it's a bit hit and miss, but If I make a mistake it's my fault and no others.

This coming trip is a bit different for me I have my brother and his girlfriend coming along not invited I might add they just decided to they would tag along.  It's their first ever trip to Asia my brother's girlfriend does not like the heat burns to crips at the slightest glimpse of sun I still can't fathom why they are coming along...It's going to be interesting, to say the least 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I enjoy it. Always learning, yet I'm tending to go more with things that have worked in the past. I enjoy connections I make with the people and neighborhoods I have become comfortable with. A lot of research goes into that along with trial and error. When I do find those places that click for me I tend to stick with it. In doing so it eases my work load when making the next trip plans down the road. 

Forums like this one have been brilliant in assisting with trip planning. And can be great fun when using. Always appreciate the different input and perspectives other BM's provide. And thankful that they take the time to do so.

Edited by Glasseye

I am a creature of habit so I tend to stay at the same place, fly with the same airline and use the same cab service. 
I don;t really enjoy booking just in case I cant get the deals I want, but usually everything turns out right. 
I use Skyscanner to get the best deals, and now that I am retired, I am a lot more flexible with dates and tend to book up a month in advance for everything ,  What I do enjoy is the confirmations of my booking and can then start looking forward to my trip and think about things that I might like to do, that I have not done, and people and places I enjoy going to.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I enjoy it. My problem is I keep coming up with so many ideas of where to go and what to do that I find it hard to keep up with myself. When I was working I didn't have enough time, now I'm retired I don't have enough money for everything I want to do. I am usually researching holidays a couple of trips in advance. I have to stop myself over researching things. After this I have to organize my letter of introduction for my VOA in Vietnam for my next trip and then that's it for that trip.

No ... I just get on the plane ( I don't even look for airline deals ) and get to where I am going ... nothing better than talking with the locals ( if we can understand each other ) to find out the "scoop" .. where to go .. hang-out .. and keep talking to the locals to find your way to whatever you need or want .. you would be surprised where you end up at times .. lol

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In fact my travels were mainly dictated by my job, so never really had to plan. The only ones I planned were the holidays back home.

And once on the spot just trust your instinct, and it works out pretty well usually. Do you think I did months of research before deciding to move to Bali ? Have a look at the first page of my Indo thread....

I mean, remember when we travelled before internet, forums, F.B. and all that stuff ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

In fact my travels were mainly dictated by my job, so never really had to plan. The only ones I planned were the holidays back home.

And once on the spot just trust your instinct, and it works out pretty well usually. Do you think I did months of research before deciding to move to Bali ? Have a look at the first page of my Indo thread....

I mean, remember when we travelled before internet, forums, F.B. and all that stuff ?

Yea .. for example ( research before traveling ) all the pictures you see about these beautiful destinations ... jeez most of the time the pictures don't match the reality of the place .. for example .. take a look at pictures of the floating market in BKK - I have never seen the floating market look like any of the pictures advertising the place ....

Many other examples as well ... that is why I don't waste my time with any pre-trip planning ... and knowing me if I do any pre-trip planning it all goes to hell in a hand basket anyway .. I am to spontaneous for planning ...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

No ... I just get on the plane ( I don't even look for airline deals ) and get to where I am going ... nothing better than talking with the locals ( if we can understand each other ) to find out the "scoop" .. where to go .. hang-out .. and keep talking to the locals to find your way to whatever you need or want .. you would be surprised where you end up at times .. lol

I enjoy a little planning but increasingly see the sense in finding out chatting to the locals and finding out where's good to go- totally agree with you on this.

On my last 2 trips in Nov and Jan this really paid dividends. So many of the reviews on TripAdvisor ,et.al  and promotion on social media in no way match the reality. Much better finding out on the ground.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

. So many of the reviews on TripAdvisor ,et.al  and promotion on social media in no way match the reality. Much better finding out on the ground.

Correct. It is sometimes hilarious when living somewhere to read the reports on social media concerning some places.  I mean, a guy on holiday, living the dream, having paid for it , is gonna give objective comments ? Some are, I agree, but a lot are exagerated on the "sweet" side.

And personally, if I find a little gem do you think I am gonna advertise it ? Just to have the place overrun by bloody tourists ? Naaah, better keep it intimate and just share it with a few real friends.

Now, of course if a place has 50% negative comments I'll avoid it ! 

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

I do!

But, if you use your common sense, you can get a lot of good info online to enhance your holiday.

28 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Yea .. for example ( research before traveling ) all the pictures you see about these beautiful destinations ... jeez most of the time the pictures don't match the reality of the place .. for example .. take a look at pictures of the floating market in BKK - I have never seen the floating market look like any of the pictures advertising the place ….

Yea, but use your common sense, I never look at the pics advertising the place, they're usually professionally done to sell it, I look at the travellers pics.

27 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I enjoy a little planning but increasingly see the sense in finding out chatting to the locals and finding out where's good to go- totally agree with you on this.

On my last 2 trips in Nov and Jan this really paid dividends. So many of the reviews on TripAdvisor ,et.al  and promotion on social media in no way match the reality. Much better finding out on the ground.

Yea, a bit of both, utilise whatever you can, part of fun IMO.

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Used to religiously buy a travel book of some sort before t’internet.....

5 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

Used to religiously buy a travel book of some sort before t’internet.....

Yea, when I lived in the Netherlands, working seasonal work with all the new age travellers, the Lonely Planet books and few others were the main things, that and word of mouth.

Simple answer is yes. 

If I am going to a destination that has loads of tourist sites of course I am going to research all about it otherwise I could easily get ripped off by a 'friendly local' telling you the best places to go which could be the last places I would want to be at.  I also don't want to miss anything which probably was the reason for going there in the first place.

I look at Google, I look at National Tourist sites (the Hong Kong one for example is particularly good), I look at reviews, Trip Advisor and I buy a decent book such as the Eye Witness books which cover a lot of interesting snippets of local detours not often mentioned in other tourist books. I have found some gems off the beaten track by reading those books.

Cities such as Prague, Budapest, Rome and St Petersburg are so much more interesting if you invest a bit of time in understanding what is on offer, the  prices of entry, any deals, any promos which can assist in planning. Publications on line that offer 'what to do in xxxx' etc are usually written by locals and have up to date info on what is happening in town, what shows are on, what events are on (some to avoid).

I will also say when you have little ones pre-planning can save you oodles of bucks when needing to go to family styled locations.

The more information I have about a place the more I can avoid pitfalls of just turning up and having to flip a coin.

Just as an example, I went to Phi Phi last year, online there were loads of sites offering the boat trip at quite extortionate prices yet I also read some local info from travelers that suggested the best deals were from the boat ticket sellers on the front at Ao Nang and they could save you a bucket load of pounds. They were right, even negotiated downwards and got a great deal including pick up and delivery back to hotel, was a great day at less than a third of what was advertised online for pre sale.

Sorry but this idea of just arriving and talking to a local doesn't do it for me, probably leave the place missing all the good sites, I didn't pay to arrive somewhere and not get a good deal for my money.

I am sure arriving in Pattaya for the first time at Songkran and getting slapped with powder on your face before being soaked is not on everyone's list of things to do, a little pre planning might help. Of course a lot of experiences can put you in good stead for the next trip.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Agree with Lems ..... i do research but take TripAdv with caution. Enjoy talking to locals etc ....... do love a bit of research on history etc .......... 

Knowledge is king me thinks. I try to do as much research as possible. Especially when travelling to new places.

Yes there is lots of shite written but usually you can sieve through it to get a good idea of what's true. 

I think that is where forums like this come into their own. So many guys with experience of travel all over the world and willing to help.

Happy days!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Google maps is a tremendous asset IMO. For a number of things.

Being near good transportation (stations, etc.) is always key. Helps to learn the neighborhoods before you get there and see if they support what you enjoy/need. Sometimes I'll even do a "street view" and stroll around the hood (if it is new one) to get a feel for it.

I don't give much weight to reviews. Although they can be good for providing red flags.

Edited by Glasseye

33 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Google maps is a tremendous asset IMO. For a number of things.

Being near good transportation (stations, etc.) is always key. Helps to learn the neighborhoods before you get there and see if they support what you enjoy/need. Sometimes I'll even do a "street view" and stroll around the hood (if it is new one) to get a feel for it.

I don't give much weight to reviews. Although they can be good for providing red flags.

Agreed. I use it a lot here to locate restaurants or shops.

Reviews to be handled with a pinch of salt, but as you say a majority of complains is a good indicator of a place to avoid.

• 2 years later...

Been at it this last 2 days, love it, been a while.

Got a result this morning with my Cha Am covid cancelled hotel voucher getting extended, was £500 approx.

Provisional -

Arrive 5th, 2 nights Bangkok

7th - 11th - Ayutthaya stay with wife's family.

11 - 18 - Cha Am hotel already paid via voucher.

18 - 24 Bangkok, hotel already paid for via covid voucher.

24 - 1st - Krabi (My favourite dive shop there just reopened 2 weeks ago, result!)

1st - 5th - Ayutthaya with wife's family, late flight back 5th. 

Been looking at a few family friendly hotels in Krabi, haven't decided anything yet, hmmmmm.

Of course, Covid could f**k things right up again, though as i've said for a while, cases are going down in the UK after the latest schools/offices spike, so i don't see an issue with the UK. It's only if cases rise in Thailand and they reimpose border/travel closures. But again i think that's doubtful unless it gets very bad, very quick.

I'm as confident as i have been since this Covid debacle started. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3