Post a pic of your breakfast/lunch/dinner

Sangsom

30 minutes ago, thumper63 said:

Hadn't grilled Ribeyes in a while so off I go to my favorite butcher. Prices have shot up. Pre covid I was paying $16.99 per pound... which when on sale would go down to $10.99 per pound. So I was shocked to see a price of $26.99 per pound. So after much observation I have come to the conclusion that one of the worst side effects of the Corona pandemic is price gouging. Or just plain greed.

So I begrudgingly pay up for 2 beautiful steaks ($73.00) and off I go.

The

20210710_183908.jpg

20210710_183848.jpg

20210710_183933.jpg

20210710_185654.jpg

20210710_190548.jpg

20210710_190551.jpg

20210710_190053.jpg

$27 USD a pound.....I don’t know what to say. Ribeye is a great cut, but that’s exorbitant. Then again, your favourite local butcher, just buying a few steaks......makes sense it wouldn’t be the same $ as buying in bulk

Still much cheaper than eating out, I had an awesome deal on UberEats but wouldn’t waste it on a steakhouse.....even 12 ounces(or less) of strip loin or a 7 Oz filet mignon is $40 here, plus 2 sales taxes, so closer to $50

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

worst side effects of the Corona pandemic

Yep. Corporate greed.

Your Steak Is More Expensive, but Cattle Ranchers Are Missing Out
Demand for beef is spiking as people dine out and grill, but the profits aren’t being evenly distributed. Ranchers blame the big meatpacking companies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/23/business/beef-prices.html

... In the postpandemic world, the global supply chain is twisted and broken. As demand for food, vehicles, clothing and other goods has surged, producers and suppliers are struggling to keep pace, either unable to obtain the raw materials or workers needed to make automobiles, ketchup packets and popular drinks at Starbucks.

In the U.S. cattle industry, that chain is dominated by just four meatpacking conglomerates, and their profits are raising tensions. While diners at restaurants and shoppers in grocery stores experience sticker shock from sharply higher prices for ground beef and prime steaks, ranchers say they are barely breaking even or, in some cases, losing money.

They point a finger at the Big Four companies, which account for more than 80 percent of the processed beef sold in the United States: Cargill, JBS, Tyson Foods and National Beef...

... These are heady times for the beef packing industry. Processors like JBS and Cargill are making as much as $1,000 in profit per head of cattle they slaughter and package into ground beef and steakswell above the norm of $50 with occasional spikes to $150, according to analysts at RaboResearch...

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, thumper63 said:

Hadn't grilled Ribeyes in a while so off I go to my favorite butcher. Prices have shot up. Pre covid I was paying $16.99 per pound... which when on sale would go down to $10.99 per pound. So I was shocked to see a price of $26.99 per pound. So after much observation I have come to the conclusion that one of the worst side effects of the Corona pandemic is price gouging. Or just plain greed.

So I begrudgingly pay up for 2 beautiful steaks ($73.00) and off I go.

The

20210710_183908.jpg

20210710_183848.jpg

20210710_183933.jpg

20210710_185654.jpg

20210710_190548.jpg

20210710_190551.jpg

20210710_190053.jpg

They look fantastic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

$27 USD a pound.....I don’t know what to say. Ribeye is a great cut, but that’s exorbitant. Then again, your favourite local butcher, just buying a few steaks......makes sense it wouldn’t be the same $ as buying in bulk

Still much cheaper than eating out, I had an awesome deal on UberEats but wouldn’t waste it on a steakhouse.....even 12 ounces(or less) of strip loin or a 7 Oz filet mignon is $40 here, plus 2 sales taxes, so closer to $50

Yeah, I'm speechless when I see those pics of Thumpers steaks. I can't talk because I will be drenched in drool. 

Christ Almighty beef has gotten expensive. I used to cook up a roast every once in a while. Now, I won't even buy them heavily discounted out of discard bin. They are asking so much that I don't think I could even enjoy one at those prices.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Better than the ASQ offerings? 

For me without a doubt, YES YES YES.  I just can not take a cooked breakfast, the nearest I may get is fried mushrooms on toast.  The thought of soup or fish for breakfast NO NO NO. 😀

The later end of quarantine I just had bread roll with jam.  

• Thanks 1