Obituary/RIP Recent Passings (Threads Merged)

Glasseye

19 hours ago, Spyder said:

Just heard a friend of mine jumped to his death from his 4th floor balcony in Soi Bukhao. His name is Martin Upton, known as Uppy. He normally stays at Sutus court. Martin is from my home town of Swindon and only recently moved to Thailand for good. RIP Uppy!

Sorry to hear that mate.

Did he have any previous history of mental health problems?, because it can hit you at any time. I was recently in hospital in January for 10 days with mental health problems, basically had a mental breakdown after burying my sister.

I also have previous history of depression and suicide attempts.

So if there’s any previous history it could be a relapse mentally.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Spyder said:

Uppy never seemed the suicide type, I expected him to drink himself to death, so I don’t believe this was a suicide. I guess we’ll never know what happened…

Very sad indeed and happens too often. seems the guy was alive when found but unable to give an account of what happened. There is a video on Newsflare of the guy, but with respect to you and the guy I won't post a link.

It is not the first time somebody here has known a guy who has fallen, I remember another who was known by some here, who jumped from the 6th floor, survived and I believe, no one else was involved.

It has been mentioned here before and above why people might take this extreme way out, just so sad and a great meaningless loss of life in a city which should be enjoyed. Some just can't cope with what is on offer.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Very sad indeed and happens too often. seems the guy was alive when found but unable to give an account of what happened. There is a video on Newsflare of the guy, but with respect to you and the guy I won't post a link.

It is not the first time somebody here has known a guy who has fallen, I remember another who was known by some here, who jumped from the 6th floor, survived and I believe, no one else was involved.

It has been mentioned here before and above why people might take this extreme way out, just so sad and a great meaningless loss of life in a city which should be enjoyed. Some just can't cope with what is on offer.

I had a look at the video and what surprised me is it was a regular ambulance crew who should have supplemental O2 available, but did not administer it to him until they loaded him into the ambulance.

I've witnessed on a couple of occasions here unprofessional emergency medical care and the one time I tried to intervene the police on the scene told me to move back.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I had a look at the video and what surprised me is it was a regular ambulance crew who should have supplemental O2 available, but did not administer it to him until they loaded him into the ambulance.

I've witnessed on a couple of occasions here unprofessional emergency medical care and the one time I tried to intervene the police on the scene told me to move back.

It is "hit or miss" over here. I've heard some horror stories, and seen some in action that I was reasonably impressed with.

I think there are several reasons. I'd reckon many of them are underpaid and overworked, some are volunteers. 

I suppose a lot of it has to do with where you are, and what card you draw.

Back on the job. I've seen cases where there was no way in hell the person was going to make it, and the responders pulled a rabbit out of the hat. I've seen cases when the eyes are open and still breathing, but you knew "no one was home" (didn't even make it to the hospital).

51 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

It happens in every city. Probably a somewhat higher percentage there.

I saw a lot of jumpers when I worked in Chicago. One of them landed on a parked car and completely crushed the roof in.

At this point in my life I don't care what they do as long as nobody else is hurt. It's their life, their choice. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but that is how I look at it. When you know them personally it can do a number on you, there is no getting around that. But, if I don't know, then adios. Jumping is weak IMO. If you are going to do it do it with some responsible planning. Chance is by the time you get around to it you may change your mind.

Once had one that had everything (personal items, paperwork, etc.) laid out before him. Even cleaned the apartment before he placed a bag over his head and attached a helium tube to the bag. He was probably dead within two or three deep breaths.

Saw one (a jumper) who was a married student from Brazil. He was having domestic issues with his wife and struggling with his studies. I worked a domestic case involving him we were called to about three months before I retired. Two weeks before I retired he took a header off a thirty floor building. Believe it or not.... his name was Geronimo.

If a jumper injured me or someone I care about I would sue the fcuk out of their estate for damages.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am not commenting in particular about these 2 recent cases, apart from the fact that they were both relatively low floor cases which opens up questions about whether police assumptions of suicide are reasonable.

Jumping from a balcony seems unusual as a method of suicide. But the chosen suicide method depends on where you are from, for the USA firearms is the most likely, in the UK hanging is more likely. In Thailand both of these may be less easily achieved by a foreigner for condo or hotel living than jumping from height from a balcony. This method might be easier and is well publicised.

Then there is the possibility of accidental falls. Many western expats are just not used to balconys.

In the construction industry it is common these days to report "near misses". The idea being that a potential accident can be shared with other projects so that a near miss on one project can be used to alert other projects of a danger.

But i don't see anyone highlighting dangers of balcony use. I have lived in asia for years in many apartments and have never had a feeling i was going to fall off a balcony. Do people climb onto furniture when drunk? Or perhaps try to lean out while smoking? I think if anyone nearly fell it would be worth mentioning.

Murder is a lingering suspicion, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me as i don't see any proven cases.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, galenkia said:

Sorry to hear that mate.

Did he have any previous history of mental health problems?, because it can hit you at any time. I was recently in hospital in January for 10 days with mental health problems, basically had a mental breakdown after burying my sister.

I also have previous history of depression and suicide attempts.

So if there’s any previous history it could be a relapse mentally.

No mental health issues that I am aware of. He was a heavy drinker and  inPattaya spent most of his days in the bars in soi bukhao. He had just sold up in the UK and moved to Thailand for good the week before the fall. He had been to Pattaya quite a few times, staying for a few months at a time until his money ran out.

• Great Info 2

18 hours ago, Zambo said:

I am not commenting in particular about these 2 recent cases, apart from the fact that they were both relatively low floor cases which opens up questions about whether police assumptions of suicide are reasonable.

Jumping from a balcony seems unusual as a method of suicide. But the chosen suicide method depends on where you are from, for the USA firearms is the most likely, in the UK hanging is more likely. In Thailand both of these may be less easily achieved by a foreigner for condo or hotel living than jumping from height from a balcony. This method might be easier and is well publicised.

Then there is the possibility of accidental falls. Many western expats are just not used to balconys.

In the construction industry it is common these days to report "near misses". The idea being that a potential accident can be shared with other projects so that a near miss on one project can be used to alert other projects of a danger.

But i don't see anyone highlighting dangers of balcony use. I have lived in asia for years in many apartments and have never had a feeling i was going to fall off a balcony. Do people climb onto furniture when drunk? Or perhaps try to lean out while smoking? I think if anyone nearly fell it would be worth mentioning.

Murder is a lingering suspicion, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me as i don't see any proven cases.

I often wonder the very same thing. I mean, jumping off a 30 story condo is going to be a suicide, but low floors? not so sure. There's more often and not it will result in life changing injuries, as has been seen on a guy who attempted in pattaya but it didn't go well, he's now without legs and in a wheelchair. I also saw a video about a German guy who was alive and talking to the Police after a jump, but refused medical help, died shortly after.

you could well be correct that some people are just not familiar with balconies. Maybe looking out when drunk, leaning too far when having a smoke, balance is easily lost.

The only thing I use my balcony for is drying out clothes or putting smelly training shoes out there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fforest said:

A 35-year-old Chinese man fell to his death from a condo in Central #Pattaya this afternoon. This is the fourth foreign death involving falling from condos in about one week in Pattaya.

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/02/11/chinese-man-falls-to-his-death-from-pattaya-condo/

Another sad case.

This is different as the family were there so presumably just 2 possibilies to consider - jumped or fell. I expect that once the Thai police  investigation is complete there will be little doubt about their conclusion.

I have only seen 2 other cases in the news this week and those were of the single male type, which have raised some doubts about the cause of the "fall" over the years in Pattaya.

I wonder if there is any financial/insurance implication whether the police conclude suicide or accident.

20 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Another sad case.

This is different as the family were there so presumably just 2 possibilies to consider - jumped or fell. I expect that once the Thai police  investigation is complete there will be little doubt about their conclusion.

I have only seen 2 other cases in the news this week and those were of the single male type, which have raised some doubts about the cause of the "fall" over the years in Pattaya.

I wonder if there is any financial/insurance implication whether the police conclude suicide or accident.

A Suicide ruling means the Case is Closed....And the police have no more work to do.... 

So even if a case has a 98-99% probability of not being a suicide the police most of the time run with that last 1-2%.......

Only in Thailand does some one tie themselves up before a balcony jump...

Edited by fforest

8 minutes ago, fforest said:

A Suicide ruling means the Case is Closed....And the police have no more work to do.... 

So even if a case has a 98-99% probability of not being a suicide the police most of the time run with that last 1-2%.......

Only in Thailand does some one tie themselves up before a balcony jump...

I can't recall the "tie themselves" case but that would make anyone have doubts about the police investigation in that particular case.

But, as i mention the Chinese case you posted is unlikely to point towards an "unseen hand".

If someone literally "fell" maybe there would be some claim against the building owner's insurance. I have seen cases of slipped on tiles causing injuries that were pursued as insurance claims.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:05 AM, Zambo said:

15 hours ago, Butch said:

you could well be correct that some people are just not familiar with balconies. Maybe looking out when drunk, le

aning too far when having a smoke, balance is easily lost.

goodposat.gif     When I lived in an apartment building in NYC, a resident went over his sixth floor balcony.  Everyone's first thought was it had been suicide, but the police investigation determined it was an accident.  The guy had been very drunk and leaned over the balcony railing to shout at someone  on the sidewalk below.  He lost his balance and fell to his death.

No doubt there are balcony jumpers in Pattaya, but accidental falls probably play a bigger role than a lot of people think.

What doesn't make sense to me is why anyone would choose jumping from a height as their method of suicide.  Should I ever decide to close the curtain myself,  I'd swallow enough sleeping pills to get the job done.  Less painful and messy than a balcony jump.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

32 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

What doesn't make sense to me is why anyone would choose jumping from a height as their method of suicide.  Should I ever decide to close the curtain myself,  I'd swallow enough sleeping pills to get the job done.  Less painful and messy than a balcony jump.

Evil

I had a look on google about this a couple of days ago, suicide method depends on the country. Common methods:

Europe.        hanging

USA.             gun shot

and today

China.           general (which includes rural) pesticide or poison (including drugs/pills). Shanghai jumping

I would also have thought pills would be more common as it seems painless. But i think it would be likely you would throw up, be helped or just wake up. 

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

goodposat.gif     When I lived in an apartment building in NYC, a resident went over his sixth floor balcony.  Everyone's first thought was it had been suicide, but the police investigation determined it was an accident.  The guy had been very drunk and leaned over the balcony railing to shout at someone  on the sidewalk below.  He lost his balance and fell to his death.

No doubt there are balcony jumpers in Pattaya, but accidental falls probably play a bigger role than a lot of people think.

Evil

Sometimes that doesn't work well. You may vomit them up and end up living with serious brain damage. I'd recommend taking some anti puke meds beforehand, if you were to choose this method.

Best way is  bag over your head and helium tube inserted. 

Suggested reading ----  Dr. Death

10 hours ago, Zambo said:

I can't recall the "tie themselves" case but that would make anyone have doubts about the police investigation in that particular case.

But, as i mention the Chinese case you posted is unlikely to point towards an "unseen hand".

If someone literally "fell" maybe there would be some claim against the building owner's insurance. I have seen cases of slipped on tiles causing injuries that were pursued as insurance claims.

There was one in Bangkok where a man’s head was found hanging from a bridge. His body was later found in the river below. It was ruled to be a suicide. But from what I’ve read, too long of a rope (long drop) can cause decapitation and too short of a drop will not result in a quick death.

1 hour ago, forqalso said:

There was one in Bangkok where a man’s head was found hanging from a bridge. His body was later found in the river below. It was ruled to be a suicide. But from what I’ve read, too long of a rope (long drop) can cause decapitation and too short of a drop will not result in a quick death.

forqalso, frequently your insights are good. But in this case i don't think you're advancing the debate. Or is it related to police investigation skills, in which case i think the report is too distant from high rise building jumps/falls to help.

6 hours ago, Zambo said:

forqalso, frequently your insights are good. But in this case i don't think you're advancing the debate. Or is it related to police investigation skills, in which case i think the report is too distant from high rise building jumps/falls to help.

Someone mentioned a “jumper” being tied up and still it being ruled a suicide. I related a story; that at first glance, seems unlikely. Most bags with heads in them hanging off bridges aren’t immediately thought off as suicides. But, as I posted, there was a reasonable explanation that proved this bridge jumper acted on his own.  It relates to the conversation because, unless all the facts are known, we can’t say why the police in a different case ruled suicide in spite of the victim being tied up.

Maybe you should resign from your self-appointed role as “members’ post analyst/critic” and leave that job to the moderators as your ability to understand the posts of others and how they relate to the ongoing discussion seems to be lacking.

45 minutes ago, forqalso said:

Maybe you should resign from your self-appointed role as “members’ post analyst/critic” and leave that job to the moderators as your ability to understand the posts of others and how they relate to the ongoing discussion seems to be lacking.

Haha, agreed. I have no knowledge of slipping into that role, and can't see the signs or evidence of that, so it is no trouble to step back.

I resign

He broke the mould of the stuffy DJ's of Radio back then. Funny characters such as Voiceover man and Sid the Manager. Having all the staff in the studio at the same time must have taken a bit of managing.

Thanks for the smiles Steve. RIP.

• Like 2